KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » RE: Mace Windu and Sidious Battle

RE: Mace Windu and Sidious Battle
Started by: ozz81

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
McP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC2RVtDQkv8 <- 5:30, "Mace is second only to Yoda" [possibly among jedi], and the overall context is about swordplay

Old Post Nov 25th, 2022 02:54 PM
Click here to Send McP a Private Message Find more posts by McP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Darth Thor is online now!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by McP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC2RVtDQkv8 <- 5:30, "Mace is second only to Yoda" [possibly among jedi], and the overall context is about swordplay

I think we were looking more for canon evidence (Lucas canon). Although being a featurette might count for something.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2022 05:59 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
McP

^
It was more like an answer for Lucas' opinion about competing with Sidious. All of that, along with Gillard's "levels" etc. is as much canon as my quote. It is not I supposue.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2022 07:20 PM
Click here to Send McP a Private Message Find more posts by McP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by NemeBro
Amazing how you assert that Yoda's prowess was an unknown in-universe and OOU while acknowledging that it is directly alluded to in the movie.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just arguing in bad faith, and that I don't actually need to explain that there are discrepancies between what different characters know, and how those discrepancies are used to communicate to the audience.

quote:
Sam as in Samuel L. Jackson? As in Samuel L. Jackson the actor who didn't create the characters or story?

That's the one. Though you'd almost think he did create them, given how you're insinuating his understanding of the role came from his own imagination, and not from the writer-cum-director. I'm sure George would be very impressed with you, having managed to divine his intentions more accurately than the people who worked under his direction.

quote:
Also you and Darth Thor seem to think I am saying Mace Windu is superior to Yoda in a general sense but at no point did I so much as imply that and I'll explain why in my response to him.

Hate to break it to you, but by all available accounts, the general sense is the only sense that Lucas ever concerned himself with. Compartmentalizing which Jedi is better at magic weightlifting, which one is better at super-running and jumping, and which one is better at laser sword fencing, is itself the realm of autistic Star Wars nerds like yourself. You might find this hard to swallow, but for normal people, power levels aren't actually an important element of what makes Star Wars a compelling story.

quote:
The only time "post-Lucas" shows up in my post was in reference to after the final PT film was released. Are you having trouble following the plot?

Honestly it seems like you're struggling yourself, so I'll ditch the sarcasm and say it again in plain terms: Your characterization of Yoda/Sidious' supremacy as being EU revisionism is obviously false, because it was evidently the predominant assumption during the second film's production, let alone the third. Meanwhile, your own idea which you insist on attributing to Lucas-- that Mace Windu was supposed to be "the best swordsman in the Jedi Order" --is nowhere to be found... except in later EU materials. You're exactly the kind of person that you're trying to call out here.

quote:
But the margin between Mace and Yoda and Sidious is not nearly as huge as the retards wrote later in the films and there is no reason to think it is. Mace beat Sidious and Yoda didn't. Why is that inconsistent? Do you live in retard world where a fight can only have a single conclusion? Did Joe Frazier not beat Muhammad Ali only to lose to him later and also lose to George Foreman who Ali dismantled? If this happened in a movie would you consider this inconsistent writing?

You're shifting the goalposts. Neither myself nor Thor said it would be inconsistent writing for the second best to win against the best. In fact, if you'd just eased off your nerd rage and actually read his posts, you'd have noticed that Thor said exactly the opposite:

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Yeah but they were different fights. The no.2 guy can sometimes get the edge over the No.1 guy, so that bit I never had an issue with.

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Nov 25th, 2022 at 11:38 PM

Old Post Nov 25th, 2022 11:29 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote