KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Woman King (2022)

The Woman King (2022)
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tzeentch
#gottem

I know that Braveheart and Gladiator are not historically accurate. The distinction that I'm pointing out is that there is a difference between historical inaccuracy for the sake of entertainment/narrative, and white-washing. In Gladiator and Braveheart the historical inaccuracies are things like "those uniforms didn't exist during that time period", "this character never existed", "actually this king was killed by this guy and not that guy" etc. Arguably the greatest inaccuracy about Wallace is that in the film he's portrayed as le humble farmer man whereas in reality he was a nobleman.

That's a far cry from sweeping the principle reasons for the conflict under the rug for the sake of a good vs evil narrative. The Dahomey were a facist empire whose ENTIRE economy was built upon invading their neighbors so that they could sell them into slavery. The King's Wives regiment that the movie is focused on only existed because the Dahomey had sustained so many losses from invading their neighbors that they were desperate for manpower, and one of their chief duties was to break slave-revolts and capture more people to enslave. The wise and troubled king that we see in the trailers for the movie personally decapitated hundreds of enslaved children per year, every year, as part of a Voodoo ritual that had been a core part of their society for over a century.

Say what you want about Gladiator but Roman society was portrayed in the movie as a bloodthirsty people who enslaved others and forced them to fight to the death for entertainment. The Roman nobility were depicted as conniving backstabbers. Yes we don't know what this film will portray, or not portray, but that doesn't change the fact that the story of the Dahomey-French war is a tale about one of the greatest evils the World has ever known getting their just-deserts. Would you really just shrug and say "well you know no movie is historically accurate" if Hollywood put out a movie today about Nazi soldiers heroically slaughtering hundreds of Russian troops as a desperate last stand in the Battle of Berlin? "Christian Bale stars as Adolf Hitler and Chris Pine as Lieutenant Fritz in this epic tale of the brave German peoples' defiant resistance against barbaric Communist aggression... coming soon to a theater near you".

And yes I'm aware that this entire conversation is just speculation since we don't know anything about the movie yet. But these are my initial thoughts upon seeing the trailer, and I would be very surprised if the heroes are portrayed as the cartoonishly evil individuals that they were in real life. It's crazy that this movie could even be considered black empowerment when this Empire was one of the greatest contributors to the Atlantic Slave Trade. One of the kings of these dudes literally helped the Portugese assassinate his Dad (or maybe brother) so that he could take power and become King, because he and the Portugese were worried that the old King was going to outlaw slavery.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Aug 9th, 2022 at 06:01 PM

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 05:55 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Probably even less so, as Gladiator and Braveheart at the least weren't lazy pandering to modern politics.

^^^I’m staying away because of just that.

Originally posted by jaden_2.0
William Wallace killed fifty men. Fifty, if it was one.
A hundred men.
With his own sword
Cut through them like...
Moses through the red sea

Fights done.

^^^(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 06:26 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Tzeentch
I know that Braveheart and Gladiator are not historically accurate. The distinction that I'm pointing out is that there is a difference between historical inaccuracy for the sake of entertainment/narrative, and white-washing. In Gladiator and Braveheart the historical inaccuracies are things like "those uniforms didn't exist during that time period", "this character never existed", "actually this king was killed by this guy and not that guy" etc. Arguably the greatest inaccuracy about Wallace is that in the film he's portrayed as le humble farmer man whereas in reality he was a nobleman.

That's a far cry from sweeping the principle reasons for the conflict under the rug for the sake of a good vs evil narrative. The Dahomey were a facist empire whose ENTIRE economy was built upon invading their neighbors so that they could sell them into slavery. The King's Wives regiment that the movie is focused on only existed because the Dahomey had sustained so many losses from invading their neighbors that they were desperate for manpower, and one of their chief duties was to break slave-revolts and capture more people to enslave. The wise and troubled king that we see in the trailers for the movie personally decapitated hundreds of enslaved children per year, every year, as part of a Voodoo ritual that had been a core part of their society for over a century.

Say what you want about Gladiator but Roman society was portrayed in the movie as a bloodthirsty people who enslaved others and forced them to fight to the death for entertainment. The Roman nobility were depicted as conniving backstabbers. Yes we don't know what this film will portray, or not portray, but that doesn't change the fact that the story of the Dahomey-French war is a tale about one of the greatest evils the World has ever known getting their just-deserts. Would you really just shrug and say "well you know no movie is historically accurate" if Hollywood put out a movie today about Nazi soldiers heroically slaughtering hundreds of Russian troops as a desperate last stand in the Battle of Berlin? "Christian Bale stars as Adolf Hitler and Chris Pine as Lieutenant Fritz in this epic tale of the brave German peoples' defiant resistance against barbaric Communist aggression... coming soon to a theater near you".

And yes I'm aware that this entire conversation is just speculation since we don't know anything about the movie yet. But these are my initial thoughts upon seeing the trailer, and I would be very surprised if the heroes are portrayed as the cartoonishly evil individuals that they were in real life. It's crazy that this movie could even be considered black empowerment when this Empire was one of the greatest contributors to the Atlantic Slave Trade. One of the kings of these dudes literally helped the Portugese assassinate his Dad (or maybe brother) so that he could take power and become King, because he and the Portugese were worried that the old King was going to outlaw slavery.

As I told Ares in following msgs, I suspect this will be complete fiction and they'll sugarcoat all the bad or outright ignore it to build a heroic story, still curious to see how they do it.

I'd watch that fantasy movie just for Christian Bale :P

I suspect that the producers expect the average movie viewer to not know about the Kingdom of Dahomey at all. US Black history is barely taught here, African Black history, I don't think at all.

Will be interesting if this film inspires people to read up on the Kingdom of Dahomey after being thrilled on screen. I read up on the real Zulu nation after watching 'Shaka Zulu' as a kid in the 80s, which lead me onto the histories of other African kingdoms.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 06:49 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Well as historically inaccurate as this will be, it will likely never be as inaccurate as pretty much everything that ever existed about vikings.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 06:55 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

And people love stuff about vikings, me included.

Speaking of, they need to do another film about vikings coming to the Americas first and doing stuff with the Natives. Only two films like this come to mind and one of them had this:

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 07:09 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

This is probably going to BLOW UP the box office.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2022 12:17 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Well as historically inaccurate as this will be, it will likely never be as inaccurate as pretty much everything that ever existed about vikings.

The nearest thing to Viking related stuff is the tv show, But i suppose even that has some historically inaccurate stuff too.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2022 01:52 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

The difference being, there is no political agenda against vikings. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Except Thor'

And before I get called on that for an -emacy, what I mean is I bet they left out the culpability of other groups, like how Muslims bought them from Natives and sold to Europeans.

Saying this is not to wash the hands of European culpability.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2022 05:15 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

Looks like absoulute garbage...

Bankai.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2022 05:42 PM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordofBrooklyn

19 million dollar box office for this ABOMINATION!

I can't WAIT to see the DROP and how they justify not making a profit on a film with a $50 million dollar budget.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2022 08:14 PM
LordofBrooklyn is currently offline Click here to Send LordofBrooklyn a Private Message Find more posts by LordofBrooklyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by cdtm
The difference being, there is no political agenda against vikings. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Except Thor'

And before I get called on that for an -emacy, what I mean is I bet they left out the culpability of other groups, like how Muslims bought them from Natives and sold to Europeans.

Saying this is not to wash the hands of European culpability.

Remember when nobody cried about the political agenda of Zulu or Zulu Dawn or Amistad or The Last King of Scotland or Blood Diamond or Tarzan or Shooting Dogs or Hotel Rwanda or Sometime in April or Black Hawk Down or........................

Old Post Sep 18th, 2022 09:12 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

Woke trash....

Viola Davis Says That Audiences Who Don’t See ‘The Woman King’ Are “Supporting The Narrative That Black Women Cannot Lead The Box Office Globally”

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022...ffice-globally/

Bankai.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2022 04:44 PM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Estacado
Woke trash....

^^^Upvote thumb up

Originally posted by Estacado
Viola Davis Says That Audiences Who Don’t See ‘The Woman King’ Are “Supporting The Narrative That Black Women Cannot Lead The Box Office Globally”

Old Post Sep 19th, 2022 08:03 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Viola Davis ignoring the achievements of Precious, Jackie Brown, Hidden Figures, Monster's Ball, What's Love Got to do With It, Gothika, Sister Act etc etc etceteraaaaaa

Old Post Sep 19th, 2022 08:17 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote:

I like how she's also ignoring what the tribe actually got up to.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2022 03:28 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I hope this does very well at the box office, not because I care about the movie, but if the sensitives are angry that it's doing poorly opening week, imagine the tears if it does well smile

Still want to see it, but I might just wait for the free download. There's a few other movies I want to see in the theater over this and have limited time to go.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2022 04:26 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2022 11:31 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by riv6672
^^^I’m staying away because of just that.

^^^(please log in to view the image)
Yeah, because your old fashioned politics portraying all black people as "the Maid"in Tom and Jerry and segregating buses is so much better?

Old Post Oct 21st, 2022 04:40 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Yeah, because your old fashioned politics portraying all black people as "the Maid"in Tom and Jerry and segregating buses is so much better?

When was this, because all I remember is comedy relief wiseasses ala Chris Rock. Even Event Horizon, a flipping Horror Movie had the jive talking black man. 😏

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2022 01:43 PM
riv6672

Originally posted by cdtm
When was this, because all I remember is comedy relief wiseasses ala Chris Rock. Even Event Horizon, a flipping Horror Movie had the jive talking black man. 😏

Hard to beat Chris Tucker in The Fifth Element…!

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2022 02:14 PM