KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Did Luke actually read the sacred texts?

Did Luke actually read the sacred texts?
Started by: Sheev

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sheev
The All-Sith

Did Luke actually read the sacred texts?

This has probably been asked before, but in TLJ it seemed like Yoda implied that Luke had never actually read the sacred Jedi texts himself. Was it ever confirmed that he did, or was he just holding them out of respect without ever attempting to decipher them?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2022 01:58 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, a few different sources have confirmed that he read them(and actually took notes about some of the things he'd learned.)

The funny part in hindsight is that Yoda acted like the texts were just a bunch of irrelevant storybooks that shouldn't be taken seriously... Even though their teachings were actually integral to Rey's(and presumably Luke's) progress/evolution.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Nov 7th, 2022 02:26 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007

The funny part in hindsight is that Yoda acted like the texts were just a bunch of irrelevant storybooks that shouldn't be taken seriously... Even though their teachings were actually integral to Rey's(and presumably Luke's) progress/evolution.

I think his words were something akin to that everything Rey needs is in her possession - presumably because she had the books.

So Yoda just thought he was being funny with semantics.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2022 03:25 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

For me it was the "Read them, have you? Page turners they were not" line. Seemed like Yoda was casually dismissing the texts as though they contained nothing special, and really weren't that important -- even though things like Luke's projection technique, and Rey's healing ability were both learned from said texts, and were both integral to the plots of TLJ and TRoS. They also contained a bunch of esoteric scripture that was fundamental to [re]building the Jedi Order from scratch, and pointing it in the right direction... So in the scheme of things, the texts were actually crucial plot-devices.

But if you hyper-analyze Yoda's statements, then I suppose it's possible that he was just being sarcastic/enigmatic for the lulz. I dunno. Just strikes me as odd in hindsight. /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Nov 7th, 2022 at 04:50 PM

Old Post Nov 7th, 2022 04:44 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

"Sacred texts" were actually printed screenshots of Galan's online rants laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 9th, 2022 09:46 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 9th, 2022 11:30 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

(please log in to view the image)

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Just kidding, old man. Keep up the great work.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2022 11:25 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote