Favourite scene/shot

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Pants
OK, so what is/are everyone's? I'd have to say that my favourite shot is in ROTJ, when it shows the Death Star from Endor's surface and pans down to show Vader's shuttle landing, with an AT-AT walking towards the platform. So cool I had to rewind it the other day. I'll feel so daft if this post sinks to the bottom of the board without even a viewing, but it's a pretty open question.

ratcat
I think it's a scene I love because of the Special Editions.

I love to watch the scene where Luke, Ben and the droids arrive at Mos Eisley. I still manage to spot little elements that are new in the SE.

Ushgarak
Trench sequence...

ratcat
I was disappointed with some of the cleanup on that sequence in the SE's

darth fester
my worst scene is when luke fights the rancor in rotj it looks so bad like some thing out of clash of the titans
i thought when they did the new editions they would re do it but it still looks rubbish

Dim
My favorite seen is the ESB one where Han is frozen.. mostly because of the extremely rich color palette and lighting..

ratcat
You would think that the Rancor scene, being so bad, would have benefited more from a reshoot than the inclusion of that very dodgy Jabba or the Wampa additions.

Darth Pants
The Rancor looked OK when Luke wasn't in the shot too. It managed to convey a sense of bigness in the way it moved, but I hated the shot where Luke runs past it. Surely it would have been better if they had made a giant pair of legs prop, rather than showing that hideous black line.
Don't even get me started on the Jabba scene. Am I the only one who thinks he looks too different to his ROTJ appearance in both ANH and TPM? The fact that Han leaves no shadow on him and his arm moves straight through Jabba's for a few frames make the scene look unconvincing. Also, I was under the impression that if you walked over Jabba's tail, you were instantly shot dead.

ratcat
Jabba was far too small in the ANH SE, I agree entirely with what you have said.

Ushgarak
Indeed, I remember discussing this one before, trying to work out why they didn't re-do it (time, I think).

JediOasis
My favorite scene is when Luke fights Vader in ESB. And Luke says to him, "you'll find I'm full of surprises," it just shows Luke is not afraid and that he COULD eventually do the unthinkable, destroy the Sith.

Ushgarak
Luke was made to look rather feeble in that fight, I think. Always was a lucky guy...

ratcat
Well, that was the idea. Incomplete was his training after all...

Ushgarak
I agree. Luke was amazingly talented, of course, but bear in mind that even GL has said that we was not up to scratch, certainly he was not much compared to the Jedi of the Old Republic. Some people seem to overrate his skills... the point is he succeeded in spite of his abilities, not because of them. And THAT was the end of his training.

Darth Pants
Remember also that Luke had the Force on his side in a BIG way. Pretty much the same as Anakin destroying the droid control ship, no accident, just the Force acting in strange ways to do what needs to be done. "There's no such thing as luck", etc.

Ushgarak
True, but that is no good against Vader and the Emperor...

Darth Pants
Indeed, you couldn't press a series of buttons to kill Vader and the Emperor (well, not Luke in that situation anyway), as Anakin won the day in TPM. What I'm saying is that what Luke lacked in discipline and refinement of skills (which would have got an ordinary Jedi killed), the Force itself probably assisted him. The other major factor was that Vader still didn't want to kill Luke, he'd have sliced any other Jedi to ribbons straight away.
You know, I really hope it was GL's intention that the Force guided Anakin in TPM, and it wasn't just a 'the funny things these kids do' effort to make his younger audience chuckle.

Ushgarak
Actually, VAder's fighting ability had been severely reduced by his injuries... but certainly his emotions were important there.

I think if the MCs turn up again, it will be as part of said Force Guidance.

ratcat
Based on what?????

Ushgarak
GL said so.

ratcat
By your own arguements in other topics that isn't 100% canonocal then is it. Lucas says a lot of things.

For example, I think Ray Park is still waiting for a phone call following Lucas's announcement at an awards ceremony that he was in Episode-II...

Ushgarak
Not by my own argument at all, RC. What GL says is always canon, as the Production and Continuity department said. He never said such a line about Maul, that was all misinterpretation. IF GL says something he doesbn't mean, he corrects it quickly.

Besides, you only need the vaguest amount of common sense to have to accept his line as true. It was VERY clear and VERY direct.

ratcat
Ush, that is such a crock. How can something that isn't in screen be 100% canonical? Simple, it can't. It goes against the whole concept of canon.

Ushgarak
Canon is ENTIRELY up to the department to decide. That is its ONLY definition. If they want something never screened to be canon, then it IS. Where is it written that Canon has to be filmed? That's not how it works at all. That's a very odd view you have; in any case it is factually wrong.

ratcat
Excuse me, but you're saying that anything that Lucas poips up with in some press conference in the back on no where like tunis is canon.

I can't accept that at all because that means that nothing can be canon beause you just said that Lucas can change it at any time, therefore canon goes out the window.

The point I am making is that this statement about Vader being a weaker fighter because of his injuries is totally unfounded. We don't even have a clear understanding of what those injuries are, once again we have theories, but nothing else.

I can't accept your concept of canon. Where does Lucas's "Press Conference Canon2 fit into your previously stated pecking order then?

Ushgarak
Look, canon rights BELONG to Lucas. He has left the running of that to one of his departments, but the fact remains that anything he says about the story IS canon unless he subsequently changes it. GL has made it very clear that none of the three Jedi in the CLassic Trilogy could fight properly- An Old Man, a Cripple, and an Untrained Boy- and that immediately becomes canon.

The previously stated order is how direct story-based continuity works, that's all.

If GL wants to 'fire something from the canon', as it were, he can (e.g. Splinter of the Mind's Eye has been removed from EU canon). Canon is not necessarily set in stone, it is ENTIRELY up to him, and it ends there.

Like I say, you just need common sense for this one.

ratcat
Ush, if you have to resolt to insults to make your poiint then I will close the topic.

Please back up your claims with referencnes to this "canonical" sources.

You previously stated order was in direct relation to Star wars and EU. Are you withdrawing that statement now that it doesn't fit too well?

The whole point of a canon is that it is set in stone, this allows the story to maintain a structure that does not contradict itself. Yes, changes can be made, but they have to be researched within the existing canon for conflicts. Thus, any throwaway statements made by Lucas at a press conference or interview can not always be relied upon.

Ushgarak
I am doing no such thing, RC I previously stated the storyline canonicity order, that's all. It was very simple

The ONLY point of canon is that it sets what is and isn't the story. Nothing more.

GL controls that story. He sets it. SO he sets canon. He can change it in a blink of an eye if he wants, it is HIS.

There is no other requiremnet for canon whatsoever.

Of course, we would HOPE that he only makes these decisions after careful consideration... and I beleive he does.

ratcat
Actually, it's Lucasfilms. There is a difference.

Ushgarak
GL owns the canon rights. He just delegates. In any case, the C&P department seems happy to take what he says as canon, so that's the end of that. You can disagree with their methods, but you cannot change the fact that it is up to them.

ratcat
Still waiting for those references though...

I haven't seen one thing that actually backs up anything you've said. You insist that it is done this way, but you can'tt back it up. Therefore, until you do, you arguement is only as strong, or indeed as weak, as mine.

Ushgarak
You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. Feel free to check it out with the P&C department if you want.

Quite why you'd think I'd make it up, though, is beyond me.

ratcat
Ush, it's not that I don't believe you. But if you are going to make statements like that, then you need to be prepared to back them up with referecnes if disputed.

My point isn't really about the canon, that was a side track. My point was that I have never heard this reference to Vaders fighting ability and you seemed unwilling to back that up with facts.

Ushgarak
As I already said, when interviewed anbout Jedi fighting techniques in the Prequels, GL said that all we had seen fight so far was a Cripple, an Old Man, and an Untrained Boy. He said that the Prequel Era combatants will be far more skilled. What more did you want?

ratcat
By reference I meant, Where is this documented, recorded , etc. A Magazine, a video? Where can I find this statement made?

Ushgarak
Blimey, this is a while ago now. I saw the interview referenced in SFX. It was in Insider, I think, but I can't swear to it. I thought it was a well-known quote, though.

ratcat
New to me.

Ushgarak
Really? Oh well. He DID say it.

ratcat
Well, I'll have to take your word for it, but that doesn't mean I accept it...

Ushgarak
Damn, all I can get from the sabre nutter's site is 'GL has said this', there's no direct reference.

Quite why you have a problem with that statement, though, I don't know. It is very clear that Vader's fighting ability is much lower than the combatants in TPM and, presumably, the next two films. The guy is a wreck.

ratcat
Actually, I think it's more a difference in style in some ways. We still don't knonw to what extent he will have been trained.

Ushgarak
That IS true. However, for whatever reason, Vader's fighting in ESB and ROTJ- and Luke's fighting likewise- would be easily beaten by any one of the three TPM combatants, even Obi-Wan's reckless style...

ratcat
We'll have to see how well he fights in EPII, then we can assess these claims about reduced fighting skill, etc.

Ushgarak
Well, I guess so. I'm assuming that Anakin will be quite a hard nut, though, especailly by Ep. III

ratcat
Prepare to be surprised then.

Ushgarak
You think he'll be no good in a fight?

queeq
Now as for the injuries, they are canon AND filmed. In the flash frames when Vader is hit by lightning in ROTJ it shows what injuries he has. Half his body seems to be replaced by metal and so is part of his neck. Juicy details but check them out. I was read through an extremely long site with all these details showing enhancements of these flash frames. Not surprising that he turned at least a little slower. So I'm backing up Ush on this one. Sorry, RC.

JediOasis
Yeah, I always thought it was assumed that Vader's skill had diminished. And there is no doubt that Anakin will be great with the saber, just not better than Obi-Wan. We know that sometime in EP III Anakin and Obi-Wan and that Obi-Wan wins. But if Anakin is the Choosen One then I'm sure his lightsaber skills are very good, just not as good as a fully trained Jedi Knight like Kenobi.

Ushgarak
We are MOSTLY sure of such a fight, not absolutely certain...

JediOasis
Well, in ANH Vader says to Ben "last time we met I was but the learner, now I am the master" so I assume that means they fought before and that Obi-Wan wins.

queeq
Yes, it is generally accepted. Speculation has it that during this epic fight, Anakin gets injured as much as he did.

The Injuries site can be found on TF.N by the way.

JediOasis
I was playing Rougue Squadron and noticed that on the game the planet Sullust is very volcanic. I know its just a game, but it was mentioned in ROTJ so could this be the site of the famous duel?

Ushgarak
Where the Rebel fleet met? Hum...

In any case, I think all bets are still off as to what any final confrontation will be.

That said, things like Coruscant and the name Palpatine made it to film... even the term 'Sith' did...

On the other hand, the Owen Lars as Obi-Wan's briother thing has almost certainly GONE, so...

Like I said at first, all bets are off...

ratcat
I never said the injuries didn't exist, I'm fully aware of them. I'm just saying that they may not be caused in the way rumoured.

If Lucas did want to flip us all upsiode down, what better way than to drop the Lava pit idea?

As to all bets off, surely all bets are on as nothing has been cast in stone yet? Anything could happen so all bets are valid... confused

Ushgarak
It's just a saying, RC... must I explain?

ratcat
I know, but I think you got it rounf the wrong way. I thought "All bets are off" meant that either the result was known or there was never going to be a result.

In this instance, there definately will be a ruslt and we don't know what it is yet. Therefore betting is open.....

Ushgarak
Nah. It means the odds can no longer be calculated (too many variables), so the bookies won't take bets.

ratcat
You sure? Ok, I'll take you word for it.

Darth Pants
It would be very unrealistic, I always thought you were instantly incinerated if youhad a brush with lava. Watch that Volcano film, your "crude matter" would melt in a matter of seconds, regardless of how strong you were with the Force.

ratcat
Yeah, what he said...

queeq
But if we take the game as a lead now, there are settlements on Sullust, so surving there is quite possible. Not a bad idea to have that fight there, though.

Ushgarak
It would have to be a light contact for his survival to have ANY credibility at all... still, who knows, eh?

Darth Pants
Or maybe it's a testament to how seriously powerful he is if he can survive minus lungs & limbs. If it was a shallow pool of cooled lava, I could understand it.

ratcat
What if he was incapacited somehow and his legs/arm/hand/whatever were vaporised by a flowing lava field?

Just a thought.

Ushgarak
And is it Obi-Wan who saves him...?

queeq
Or Palpy?

Ushgarak
Actually, while it would be quite neat if Obi-Wan 'spares' Vader by saving him from whaetver injuries Obi-Wan inflicted (Only for Vader to continue his life of evil under Palpatine), that would again be VERY similar to the original where Luke spares Vader under similar circumstances.

ratcat
KInda, though taking the reverse journey. It's an interesting thought.

Ushgarak
Imagine the extra guilt for Obi-Wan if he had to sit on Tatooine knowing that he COULD have killed Vader but didn't...

ratcat
But we don't know the extent of their friendship. Over 10 years they may have become very close. If that's so then perhaps OB1 can't bring himself to kill Anakin when he should.

Perhaps that is why he tries to convince Luke so hard that he must kill Vader?

ratcat
Maybe that is the point. OB1 sees his actions as a fialure and can not believe that Luke rewally has what it takes either.

Ushgarak
And Obi-Wan seemed so VERY certain that Vader could not be redeemed...

ratcat
But then so did Yoda. Did ge try too? Or was he witness to this. Perhaps OB1's statement about Yoda instructing him referred to instructions given by Yoda, to OB1, on how to deal with Anakin/Vader and the dark side...

Ushgarak
Yes indeed, though you would have thought that he could have understood why Luke couldn't.

Well, as Vader said, Obi-Wan once thought as Luke did... so we're looking for the point where Obi-Wan finally gave up on trying to redeem Anakin.

ChelsiJediKnight
Okay, my favorite scene is actually a blooper. It took alot of watching the movie but I finally realized that near the end of New Hope that when the Star Troopers are coming in to retreive or watch there prisoners, one hits his dead on the doors coming in. I love that part! I guess because I like to find bloopers, and the fact that the dude looks really dumb hitting his head on the door. laughing out loud

ChelsiJediKnight
Okay, my favorite scene is actually a blooper. It took alot of watching the movie but I finally realized that near the end of New Hope that when the Star Troopers are coming in to retreive or watch there prisoners, one hits his dead on the doors coming in. I love that part! I guess because I like to find bloopers, and the fact that the dude looks really dumb hitting his head on the door. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
They even bothered to put the sound in for thaton the overlay, which shows they have a sense of humour.

Darth Pants
I actually thought that the stormtrooper saying "see to him" afterwards was referring to any head injuries that may have been sustained in the act of geekishness, until I rmembered the guy who had his lights punched out by Chewbacca earlier on.
The other notorious blooper, Luke's shouting "Carrie!" as he climbs out of his X-Wing is thought to be him shouting "Yay!" or something.

Ushgarak
I thought Mark Hamil had admitted he HAD said 'Carrie' after all...

Darth Pants
Huh? I thought he'd said he hadn't said that, and had just got caught up in the moment and shouted a random word. It does sound an awful lot like Carrie, though.
Has any one heard about that rebel who shouts "die, d$&%heads" as the Executor crashes in ROTJ? You can make out what they're referring to, but it's very unlikely they said that.

Ushgarak
Well, they managed to cover up the jeers of the crowd at the end of ANH...

ratcat
Jeers of the croud??? Explain please.

Ushgarak
The 'applauding' crowd at the end of ANH were, apparently, jeering at the actors was they walked up the aisle, because they thought they were appearing in a crappy second-rate film that would bomb.

ratcat
Really? I never heard that one before.

Ushgarak
It's on the Behind the Magic CD, I think.

ratcat
Oooo, have to check that one out?

Ushgarak
Oh, both the Encyclopedia CDs are very good, though charging the same price for the second one (which just does Ep I) as for the orignal (which did the whole Classic Trilogy plus an Ep I preview) was a bit off.

ratcat
Oh I know, I have them both, but there is so much on them that I am still finding new stuff.

I think my fav is the weopons test when you use the Death Star Canon and he's trying to escape. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Actually, there is good timing on that Stormtrooper full stop...

ratcat
Oh yeah, but the connon one is priceless...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.