Batman Forever and Batman and Robin suck

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Soth
Who else thinx so? They just got really bad as soon as Michael Keaton and Tim Burton left

Ahnold
Amen to that, brother. All that neon, and terrible puns: "What killed da dinosaurs? Da ice age!" Terrible

Lord Soth
Aaack, so terrible

batmanrules
definetly. i hated joel schumacher, he butcherd batman. all those stupid neon lights. and the crappy batmobiles.

juggernaut26
i agree except i like clooney and odonald as batman and robin i didn't like kilmer

batmanrules
clooney did a good job, i mean he only did what he was told. i didnt like kilmer though. and dont u think that o'donnell was a little old for his part? he was suppose to be a boy wonder.

Lord Soth
He would have been better if he was only 15 or something......

Mr Parker
Sorry to break the news but ALL the batman movies sucked.Tim Burtons Batman movies were even more of a joke than Batman Forever was with the horrible casting choice of Micheal Keaton as Batman,the worst casting choice in comicbook history.I mean pudgy gut,receding hairline,half bald short runt Michael Keaton for tell,muscular,handsome,full set of hair Bruce Wayne? what a joke.Burtons Batman movies suck worse than Forever also because it was mostly about the villians,the first one should have been called the joker since Nicholson had most the screen time.

and Clooney and O'donnel were the worst parts about Scumachers Batman movies.Not only could Clooney not act,but he looks like eddie munster for god sakes.And not only was O'donnel way too old for the part of Robin,his acting was the worst part of Batman Forever. mad

mook
you can tell batman forever was the beginning of the end when they changed the bat suit - a key part of the central character.

batman 1+2 look good and are generally good but the plot of 2 goes downhill a bit.
batman forever is rescued by jim carrey+tommy lee jones but it doesnt feel like a batman film.
batman + robin is extremely poor.

"youre not sending me to da cooler!"

Lord Soth
Batman and Batman Returns were exceptional. They had the dark, gothic feel for Gotham, as opposed to the neon lights and huge statues.

Michael Keaton (and Jack Nicholson since this relates to him as well) may not have been physically like Batman, but that NEVER matters if they can play the character right. Keaton portrayed Batman's brooding, secretive, vulnerable personality perfectly, and Nicholson did the insanity, randomness and audacity of Joker flawlessly.

PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTS MEAN LITTLE WHEN IT COMES TO GREAT CHARACTER ACTING

Ahnold
"Stay cool bats". As Lord Soth so eloquently put it: "Aaaack - so terrible!"

tha human soul
You said it!
But in Batman 5,Christian Bale is playing the hero now...That dude can be pretty dark like Michael Keaton.Let's just hope 4 tha best.

Lord Soth
let's all hope *fingers crossed*

Brosnan
Tim Burton was a part of Batman Forever as a producer or something but that was it, the only one he didn't have some part in was batman and Robin.

DarkCrawler
What about Bane in the movies? In comics he is actually intellingent. But in the movies he cannot even say a real sentence, but he can drive a car.
"Monkey business". Great Scott. sick

Herr Logan
You've got several points here that are absolutely correct, but the part about Michael Keaton is wrong. Keaton wasn't pudgy then, and if you'd seen his body in movies where they how it, you'll see he's ripped. I think the flaw was in the way the part was written. You're right about the first movie not having enough Batman in there. However, I can't agree that the second two movies were better.

Chris O'Donnel alone is enough to make "Batman Forever" and "Batman & Robin" an inferior set of movies. I thought that the writing for Batman's part plus Val Kilmer's performance made him the best Batman/Bruce Wayne if you average out both sides of the character, but the rest of the movie failed. The entirety of "Batman & Robin" was a failure. I don't blame Clooney, I blame the person who casted him and the director who told him to act like himself. I like Clooney and I hope they pick him to be Mr. Fantastic (God knows, they'll try to cast worse if they can), but he isn't the Batman we expect in a contemporary movie. He's great for a revamp of the old Baman TV show, but clearly that was what Joel Schumacher wanted, not what most of the fans wanted.

Gregory
I loved Batman Forever when it came out. At age nine or ten, I was probably in its target audience.

I recently rewatched it on video. And you know, I still didn't think it was that bad. Not great, but I can't help thinking that the people who rave about how much it sucks might not have their standards set a little too high.

Lord Soth
It wasn't that my standards themselves were low, it's just that it was so terrible compared t it's successors....

Herr Logan
Predecessors, not successors.. "Batman Forever" was not worse than "Batman and Robin."

Lord Soth
lol, sorry, I used the wrong word

Blind-Enemy
actually both Jim Carey and Tommy Lee Jones overacted in that movie , but we didnt expect less from Carey so i guess it was ok , but Jones... that's the worst adaptation from a fictional character to the screen and you cant have to silly funny characters acting almost similar in a same movie

punkyhermy
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
they both suk
they are like the worst movies ever made

neo2
given I was eight seeing Batman Forever, i liked it then......given I was ten seeing Batman & Robin, i liked it......but I definitely changed my opinion in middle school after seeing them again....i think that was the same for anyone who was my age then.....im 17 now

wuTa
clooney was the worse....batman is suppose to be dark he didnt capture any of that...thr only thing good in that movie was uma thurman

Lord Soth
The only saving grace in Batman Forever was Jim Carrey

SpyCspider
hahaha...Batman & Robin lines that make you groan: let's hear them!

I got some:

You're not sending me to the cooler.
What killed the dinosaurs? The Ice Aaaaage!
A laundry service that delivers! Wow!
Kill the heroes! Kill them!!

(hahah, note how theyr'e all Schwarzenegger lines for some reason)

Lord Shadow Z
I have no problems with Batman Forever but Batman and Robin is crap.

'tonights forecast, a freeeeeeeeeeze is coming '
'I hope Mr Bane can swim'

sick

Mr Parker
Yeah Batman Forever is a lot better of a movie than most people give it credit for.As I said earlier,its my favorite as well as many other peoples favorite that I know.

SpyCspider
Do you think Jim Carrey would've been a better Joker? Was the Riddler supposed to be that cooky? In the animated series, he's always been ...reserved...and devious, rather than "spank me."

I thought his funny antics could've been better as Joker, rather than Riddler.

Gregory
I agree. I've never seen the animated series, but certainly the movie Riddler has little in common with the comic-book villian.

Mr Parker
Its funny that you mentioned that because I loaned Batman Forever to a friend of mine not too long ago and after he watched it he brought that up also.He agreed with me that Batman Forever was the best one and while talking about it he suggested that they should have turned the roles around and have Carrey play The Joker and Nicholson play the Riddler.Now that I think about it he's right because Carrey behaved the way The Joker bahaves and Nicholson was more suited for the role of The Riddler because he doesnt have the energy it takes to play the joker laughing non stop all the time like he does which is why I have to agree that Carrey would have been more suited for the joker.
Just switch the roles around is what they should have done.

Red Superfly
I think personally, that the first Batman movie is the greatest comic book adaptation known to this green Earth. How anyone can think otherwise is beyond me. Batman Returns is even MORE morbid than the first. I actually thought that all casting choices in the first two movies were by far the best casting choices of the lot.
Bruce Wayne/Batman = Michael Keaton. He is by far the best choice for the character. The brooding pseudo-schizophrenic personality toiling inside of him came through thanks to that man. I actually think Val Kilmer LOOKS like a better Bruce, but Keaton is by far the closest thing to Batman.
Jack Nicholson = When I saw this for the first time I was terrified and amazed by this character, I was only 6 or 7 years old. Even now it is a performance of a life-time and Nicholson is the perfect Joker.
Danny DeVito = His performance of The Penguin is fantastic. How can anybody say otherwise?
Michelle Pfeiffer = Pure Catwoman. Forget premadonna Halle Berry. This is the real Catwoman.
By all means these two films are classics and did a heckuva job of making comics being percieved as serious literature/art as they deserve to be.
Batman Forever, is not as good as 1 & 2, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I could only imagine what film it COULD have been had Burton directed the superb Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones as the villains. Carrey was awesome as The Riddler. Kilmer was a decent Batman but couldn't match the faithfulness of Keatons performance. Robin is annoying though, and is completely useless. Batman could have run circles around the villains if Robin a) could drive a boat properly and b) Killed Two Face when he had the chance instead of being a little wuss baby.
Batman and Robin is a joke. Casting was awful all around, cartoon effects were added in and everything was just one sick joke. Batman died a painful death that day.

Gregory
Because it was wildy untrue to the source material? The Joker killing Bruce's parents? Batman killing people? Bleh.

Batman Returns was even worse. What the hell sort of drug were the writers using when they wrote Catwoman's origins? And the Penguin acted nothing like he does in the comic.

Gregory
You think Robin should kill people? Robin never kills people in the comic, and you're actully complaining about how the movie is true to that element of his personality.

And yes, I agree that refusing to commit murder makes you a wuss. Wait. No, I don't.

Castor
They werent horrible films, they just werent as good as they could have been. Batman should have been much darker but i loved Robin. He was cool as hell in Forever. His attitude of "im being overlooked" got a little annoying in B&R but still I think Odonnell made a good Robin. Schwartzeneggar was just horrible i B&R. Unforgivable....He was horrendous. Uma Thurman made a good Ivy though. Michelle phipher was not a good Selena Kyle. But she was a good Catwoman. Thats a sexy arse outfit...-shiver-

Careys' Riddler was aweome and so was TLJ Two Face. I thin their performances saved BF. I never liked batman returns as a movie though. Batman was simply awesome. Despite its technical shortcomings compared to todays standars it was an awesome film. I loved it. As for inconsistencies with the comic, that happens all the time.

Spidey-Organic webbign
Daredevil-No stick?
Smallville - Perry Lane, a sleezy journalist?
Birds of Prey - Black Canary was so weak.
Hulk - Bruce Banner exprimented on as a child?
Fist of the North Star - ...NO COMMENT.

Movies will always differ form their comic counterparts somehwat because directors dont like to completely copy, thye like to add a bit of their selves and their ideas in their creations..Heh.

Gregory
I know, but this one was unusually major. Batman not killing people is a major part of his mythos. It's what made him different from the Azbat.

Lord Soth
Stuff like that is done for a reason. To make a movie make more sense. The original comic book story may make sense for the comic book, but not work for a movie. Sacrifices are being made all the time.

Behavior is irrelevent, Actors model a character's personality to match their personal acting style. Also done ALL the time.

Red Superfly
Um, no, that was a mild joke. I was just emphasising how useless Robin was in the context that if Robin wasn't trying to "help", Batman, in that case, wouldn't have had as much trouble. It seems I struck a nerve, sorry. It was just an opinion, you know, those things that humans have?

I don't care if Joker didn't kill Batmans parents in the comics. It's an adaptation. Man, even comics adapt themselves, look at all the different versions of Spidey's origins and what not. As a film, Batman was great. It was so great it won some awards didn't it or am I wrong in assuming this?

Anyway, in terms of tone at least, the first two Batman movies were spot on.

Also, I like the idea that Joker killed Batmans parents, and I honestly DO NOT CARE if it wasn't in the comics. When I go to see a comic-book-movie I do not want what is essentially an acting out of the comic "manuscript". I welcome the adaptation.

Nobody has a go at fanfics for alterring work. That's all these movies are really, just expensive fan fics.

mook
yeah they did over-act but they are still the best thing in the film and work well as a double act. im not familar with the original (comic) characters so cant comment on that.
i think if BatmanForever had had the gothic look and feel of 1+2 instead of the Neon look it wouldve been a good batman film.

<<Solo>>
Agreed.

Gregory
I do. Want to see the comic put to film, I mean. I will never get what I want, but when the movie producers make pointless, and frankly, stupid changes (yes I know you like them; this is my opinion), it irritates me.

SpyCspider
Was it me or did Two-face (Tommy Lee Jones) laugh way too goddamn much? He wasn't sinsiter to me at all....just wild.

I'm basing my image of Two-face on the way he's portrayed in Batman the Animated Series, where he's shown as a struggling soul who suffers from his duel-personality. And he can be evil and scary. I thought Tommy Lee Jones could've been the perfect Two-Face if he just didn't go overboard with the expressions.

Gregory
It wasn't just you.

Mr Parker
Well said Gregory.Hey looks like we agree on the first batman movie betraying the source material.Batman was a horrible adaptation,not at all a great one like Superman was.I also agree with you that Batman Returns was even worse.

Mr Parker
yeah it wasnt just you,he acted too much like THE JOKER and not at like two face.Two face shouldn't have even been in this film.

Mr Parker
actually it was very bad from the beginning with the horrible casting choice of keaton as Batman and Tim Burton being allowed near a batman frachise.

punkyhermy
I HATE MICHEAL KEATON!HE KILLED BATSY!

Lord Soth
Yes, well, I've noticed that you pick apart comic movies for the tiniest little reasons that really don't matter.

Gregory
You don't think Batman killing people matters? Should I assume you haven't read the Knightfall story-line?

I know many of you probably think I'm being overly picky, but I look at it like this. There's a lot more to Batman than the spiffy outfit, and there's more to him than a vigilante motivated by the deaths of his parents. Nightwing is also motivated by the deaths of his parents, and durring Prodigial he wore the Mantel of the Bat, but he wasn't the Batman I know and love. The movie Batman is like that. He strikes me as closer to the Azbat than to Bruce Wayne. I didn't like the Azbat in the comics; why would I like him in a movie?

Mr Parker
Yeah Batman killing people isnt the batman that most people know and love from watching the 60's tv show or the cartoons.I wanted to see the batman I know and love,not this coward who goes around killing people.Thats what he WAS.A coward killing the jokers goons like he did sending in the batmobile when he wasnt even in the car dropping the bomb in front of them like he did.Batman would NEVER do such a cowardly act killing people in such cowardly fashion like that.Then killing his arch enemy The Joker at the end? that totally betrayed the batman mythos.Regardless of what the joker did in the past,that was murder he committed and he should have been wanted for murder at the end instead of being treated like a god damn hero,Batmans not authorized by the poilce to go out and kill people for christ sakes.All the batman movies were horrible in one way or another,they did not stay true to the source material unlike the first two superman movies did.

Lord Soth
Well, The Joker was about to kill them both, I think that he would have done something, instead of 'being the hero' and just allowing himself to die.

Gregory
I'm not sure. In Knightfall, he chews out Robin for attempting to save Batman's life by killing Two-Face.

Red Superfly
Oh well, ya can't win'em all.

I liked Batman as a movie, as a flick. I know it betrayed the source material and all that, but I still enjoyed it.

Gregory
I agree that technically speaking it was excellent. If I'd seen it before I was as familiar with the source material as I am now, I'd probably have loved it. I just don't think it worked as a Batman movie.

Mr Parker
No it sure didnt,it was more like a James Bond movie than a Batman movie.I mean come on,call the movie something else if your not going to be loyal to the comicbook for god sakes!!!!!! mad mad

punkyhermy
well i hate the batman movie the one with baldie-keaton as batsy.well don't get me wrong,it isn't his looks i'm the most annoyed about. it's everything else!!!!!!!!sure keston did act a lili bit like batsy but WHAT ABOUT THE IDIOTIC WOMAN WHO PLAYS THE GIRL?!she was ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!she made me laugh!!!!!!i bet when casted her they were all drunk or something

ash007
Well guys lets wait for the new moive to come out.

Lord Soth
Anbd how was it like a James Bond movie? I saw NO similarities.

And, you must know that when a comic book movie is made, they stay as loyal to it as humanly possible, while making a couple necessary changes so it makes more sense on the screen. Sacrifices are always made.

Gregory
So they had to make Batman a murderer for it to make sense on the big screen? It wouldn't have made sense if the Joker hadn't killed Batman's parents? I don't buy that. But whatever; obviously, you're entitled to your own opinion on the movie.

Mr Parker
Batman had to be a murderer for it make sense on the big screen and it would not have made sense if the joker hadnt killed batmans parents? thats the most laughable logic I have ever heard yet. laughing

Freddy_vs_Jason
I hated Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, they were little kids films, that just ruined the series, the movies weren't dark like the 1st and 2nd, it needs to show gotham like a real $hit hole, a real bad place to live, Micheal will always be the best Batman, George Clooney sucked as Batman, Tim Burton should have done the movies after Batman returns, Bm forever and B and R sucked! I wish I could forget they were ever made.

Lord Soth
Why do you keep calling him a f**king murderer? If Batman had just let him get away, then there would be no resolution and a paying moviegoer would have been unsatisfied. There always has to be resolution. So, he had to be killed/captured in some way or another, and it was clear to Batman capture was not an option. So there's my full reasoning. And if you don't appreciate the movie just a little more now, then I don't know why I bother explaining everything to you over-fanatic fans.

Besides, I had more problems with Batman having GUNS on the Batmobile then I did with the "murderer" thing. Batman swore never to shoot a gun. How come you freaks aren't jumping all over that for no viable reason?

BESIDES besides, this thread is about Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, not the first two

Gregory
Because in the movie, he was a murderer. Forget about the Joker for a moment. When he sent the Batmobiel into that warehouse and blew up (that is to say, murdered) numerous small-time thugs, was that also necessary for "closure?"

What Batman would have done is let the Joker go, save himself and Vickie, and then proceed to nail the Joker at some later date. If the movie came to a point where it was necessary either to make Batman be wildly out of character or let the movie run overly long, I can only attribute it to bad directing, and I still would have preferred the second option.

Incidently, remember "Death In the Family"?

"Find his body! Find his body!"
'But they won't.'
'That's the way things always end with the Joker and me.'
'Unresolved.'
There always has to be a resolution, indeed.

"Freaks"? Way to keep this friendly, Lord Soth. As a matter-of-fact, I had a problem with this, too. But it didn't come up durring the course of our conversation.

You, who have participated in this thread as much as I, cannot rebuke me for this.

Mr Parker
as I said before.Tim Burton should NEVER have been allowed near a batman franchise making the worst casting choice in comicbook history michael keaton for Bruce wayne,what a joke,it was like watching al bundy walking around bruce wayne manor.Thank god Burton did not direct Batman Forever.the only one that was half way decent of the bunch.

Lord Soth
Hehe....oops, I forgot about that. My fault, completely my fault

Actually, I do not remember that. Oddly enough, I've never read a Batman comic in my life. laughing But I've read almost all of the anthologies and info books as there have been published, so I know as much as much a devout comic fan would stick out tongue

Yeah.....sorry about that. It was about 3 in the moring when I wrote that. Anywho, I consider 'freaks' to be a compliment, usually. I obviously didn't there. Sorry if you were offended (what am I kidding, of course you were). And please, even when having an argument (friendly or not), call me Soth! It's so much more informal that way

You're right again, that didn't come up. My fault again

No, I suppose I can't stick out tongue

Lord Soth
Are you basing bad acting upon physical appearance? Oh, Mr. Parker, I am ashamed. Physical appearance is not wah tamkes a character. Actual ACTINg is what makes a character. Michael Keaton may not have looked the part, no. But he had the initial soul of Bruce Wayne down pat. No, Jack Nicholson did not look like the Joker. But the psychotic personality was perfect.

Now, lets take a look at the atrocity that was Batman Forever. Gotham was ALL wrong. Gotham is not flashing lights and opulent statues: quite the opposite. The first two had it right. Gotham is dark and forboding; threatening and crime-ridden.

Casting: Jim Carrey, while being the saving grace of the movie, was not correct. The Riddler is not a freakish little dancing game man: he's cold and calculating; a mischevous genius. The movie turned him into a game show host.

Val Kilmer is all wrong as well. He was downright terrible. Sure he may have LOOKED the part (which you apparently take as paramount importance), but he could not play Batman or Bruce Wayne for crap. There was no darkness in his soul, even when he was trying his hardest to *obviously* insert it into his acting. Keaton was effortless in the darkness department.

punkyhermy
i agree to what u said about keaton as batsy.look i know looks aren't everything, but honestly, in this case they are part of the entire batman package. batman HAS to be goodlooking to continue his charming bruce wayne persona. keaton wasn't that great! even if u forget the looks part of his performance. the fact remains that he outshines his succesors merely because they were even worse than him! so nothing to be proud of there....his acting as batsy was just passable...

Gregory
I'm with Soth on one point: it's the acting, not the appearance of the actors, that matters. For all their flaws, and for all that I don't like the first two movies, the acting in them was superb; it didn't even occur to me that Keaton and Nicholson didn't look their parts until people brought it up in this thread.

It seems especially silly to complain about that when you consider that Batman's appearance has never been constant. The appearance of the animated Batman is different from that of the comic Batman, and how Batman looks in the comics changes every time they get a new artist. So so what if the movie Batman looks a little different from what you're used to? That's par for the franchise.

Lord Soth
If you want to watch a really bad Batman (and I mean worse than Clooney), then go watch the 60's TV show. That is so terrible I fall on the floor laughing at it's stupidity every time

wuTa
that is true...if u want good comedy jus watch the 60s version batman

Mr Parker
Well I got comedy relief from watching the first two films being reminded that i was watching Mr Al Bundy walking around Bruce Wayne manor. laughing Like I said,thats the kind of casting choice I would expect to see on saturday night live,not for a serious batman movie. laughing

punkyhermy
i donno who likes them?

wuTa
i like the 1st 2 batman films...and keaton was the best batman...and most batman fans would argee

ash007
Ok i kind of liked the first Batman film but i thought it needed more action, but i loved the way in the first movie it showed the physiological side of Batman the way it portrayed his parents death and the way he could not commit to women wink.

But since then the film have toned down abit and i have to say the last Batman film did not live up to my expectations. I mean i loved the way George Cloony portrayed Bruce Wayne, but i feel the villain let me down i mean we did not see into the sole of the film

Hopefully the next film will be better smile and it will fore full all are expectationsbatmanbatman

Lord Soth
You're such a cynic, it makes me laugh laughing

ash007
indeed i agree smile

wuTa
they didnt play two-face right...he has a spilt personality...they just totally did the opposite and ****ed up that charactor

Lord Soth
For the most part, yeah sad

Red Superfly
Adam West is the best Batman BY FAR.

Don't deny Mayor Adam West.

Lord Soth
You're kidding, right? I'll just assume you're kidding so I don't throw up from the thought of it

Gregory
Are you implying that Adam West's movie isn't brilliant? mad

In all seriousness, you should remember that the comic has changed a great deal. I believe that Adam West's movie was fairly true to the spirit of the comics at the time.

wuTa
adam west i had a batman movie?... i thought he just did that shitty batman show

Gregory
You've never seen Adam West's movie?

"Quick! Pass down the bat shark-repelant!"

Lord Soth
I'm just saying that Adam West's performances as Batman were so campy and almost intentionally bad that it's funny.

While it may have been true to the spirit at the time, the overall spirit of Batman is nothing like it was in the 60's

In§anE
Batman Forever and Batman & Robin were made with the most important thing in mind...Merchandising..Toys, Toys, and some more Toys!!

When they were gonna do a new Superman movie in the 90's the original concept of the suits were done by the Shumaker or what ever the hell his name is. He was the producer and they wanted to make superman's suit all metalic and all these gadgets and crap like that.

Stay simple, and you shall succeed! Batman 1 & 2..SuperMan I-III

ash007
For me the Batman Film started when the first Batman film came out in 1989.

I can not and will not acknowledge Adams West films it had nothing to do with methos of Batman

Colabee
After a few minutes of watching Batman Forever at the cinema I remember thinking 'what have they done? They've ruined it'. The only thing I can say in favour of it is that it's better than Batman and Robin.

Cyclops
Forever had its moments, but Val Kilmer was not a good choice for Batman. Bruce DID NOT have a lisp. When he said, "Tell me, Dr. Marridian. Do you like the circus," I grew angry.

And Batman & Robin... terrible.

wuTa
i think everyone would argee that george clooney was the worst batman ever EVER!

Cyclops
I think everyone would agree that ADAM WEST was the Best Batman

Gregory
Hell yeah!

Red Superfly
Adam West is awesome.

People diss the Batman show - they just don't get it.

The subtle jokes they used were WAY ahead of their time.

I absolutely love that corny crappy TV show. It's genius!

I don't consider it a part of Batman - more a Batman spoof, because it was (and wasn't at the same time).

Mr Parker
you got no argument from me on that one.as bad of a casting choice Keaton was for the role since he was so physically wrong for the role,Clooney was an even worse choice.the guy looks like EDDIE MUNSTER for crying out loud. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr Parker
thats funny,those were the EXACT same thoughts I had when I saw the first BATMAN film.

yerssot
I don't think any of the batman movies are really outstanding, good entertainment of course yes

OB1-adobe
I look at comic book movies/TV as adaptations. Nothing More! They reflect the character at a certain point time or are displayed by someone's current vision. The TV show is corny and stupid, but I still love it. I look at it as 1960's era Batman. Just like the seriels, same thing. Yes, I agree the first two movies and the cartoon were great and the last two films should have been called 'Jim Carrey's Batman Forever', and "Batman and Robin in: We Sold Out Big Time'. However, it's behind us now. Just enjoy it guys. 'Batman & Robin' is a film that was needed to be made. Since then it has set a bar for comic adaptations of "Don't You Even Pull That Shit on Me." Even though some film adaptations have not exactly met up to standards with some(Daredevil, Spider-man, Hulk). You gotta admit they are no where near the crap Shumacher pulled on 'Batman and Robin'.

Red Superfly
Batman and Robin does deserve to exist.

It MUST exist for ALL producers to steer clear of doing the same, just as OB1 mentioned.

It has it's place I guess.

SpyCspider
Was there not enough of a backlash from BATMAN FOREVER that should've made Schumacher rethink what he's doing? Or was he pretty much like "Fck you all...this is my vision."?

Maybe he reveled in the 60s series when everything was camp. In actuality, I think the general public remembers that series quite fondly so Schumacher's Batman movies probably was appealing to them.

OB1-adobe
Reveled in it or not, he tried to totally rip it off. The Batman show is essentially stupid, but it is acceptably stupid. "Pass down the Bat-shark repellent". Just for cheesy crap like that the show is Classic. It is campy but entertaining, and more or less mirrors batman in the comics. I have seen reprints of comics from late 50's through the 60's, and the show visualy and literary accuratley depicts what he was in the comic during that time. You can't put all the blame on a director, but 'Batman & Robin' is not only a failed adaptation about Batman, it is more a failed movie. It is hardly watchable for many. When taking a cherished icon with all of the resources at your dispoasal, it is an example of 'What not to do'. I'll still buy it for collectors and reference value. But dam, talk about fuking up.

Joker1237
Too Batman And Robin, It was a sorry movie and it was not Batman

When Joker said "Well your not Batman" in ROTJ.

I can see Mark's Hamill;s Joker saying that to Cloony's Batman

Joker "Your not Batman"

Batman Cloony' Your hurt my feelings all I wanted to be was the best Batman ever, I guess I am a laughing stock to all the Batmen that came before me. I not Batman boo boo boo.

Jackie Malfoy
I think batman forever was great!As for Batman and Robin that sucked!JMbatman

Mr Parker
my thoughts as well.okay since this thread was brought back up it looks like I will have to bring my batman 1 and 2 suck thread back as well.I hope you have a very good reason for resurrecting this dead thread Jackie? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dazzler619
Ok Batman and Robin did suck but not Batman Forever.Are you out of your mind?

bakerboy
Yeah, those two movies sucked big time, as the first two did.

Max Spidey 24
"Stay cool Bird Boy"

" what would you do chase the villian or save da boy"

"Your emotions make you week Batman thats why this day is mineee"

" Grrrrakkkpoppwjdhjh" Quote from bane(most famous one)

Who are you, Im batgirl suit me up uncle alfred.

Batman in batman and robin didnt scare anyone it remined me of powerangers the movie and even that was better

stormlover
i think uma did an exceptional job playing poison ivy with the junk that they called a script. she barely did anything and got her but whooped by batgirl.

DarkDreamweaver
Those two movies...ughhhh

Batman Begins totally redeems the series, however

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.