Harry Potter Errors

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Unknown
Name any mistakes that you can find.

Here's one: In Book 3, it says that Voldemort's been feared for a hundred years, yet in Book 3, Voldemort is supposed to be around the age of 67 (seeing as he was around 16 when he opened the CoS, which occurred 50 years before Book 2).

Anyone have anymore?

Phoenix
I believe they actually said something like, he was the darkest wizard for a hundred years, meaning that there has been noone more evil than him in a hundred years, not that he has been alive for a hundred years

The Unknown
It says the most feared dark wizard for a hundred years, but I guess may be right.

Any others?

Luna150
There is only one mistake i know of. All the others i could probably explain. Percey take house points of harry and ron but in the 5th book som1 says prefects arnt allowed to deduct points. I was thinking maybe head boys could but percy wasn't a head boy then or maybe you cant deduct points in your 1st year as prefect but by the second year you can. And i agree with pheonix the phrase " he is the most feared wizard for 100 years" Means that no one has feared a wizard as much as they fear voldermort for a hundred years

Ariadne
There's a list of pretty much all the book mistakes at mugglenet.
http://www.mugglenet.com/books/mistakes/

Linkalicious
i know this isn't really an error, it's actually kinda interesting. Well anyway, I was watching Harry Potter 1 on HBO just now and i was watching the part where Hermione was showing Harry the trophy with his dad's name on it. Well in the middle it said JAMES POTTER on a little shield and right next to his name was a shield with the words M.G. McGonagall. Now i know the movie shouldn't be the reference, but wouldn't that mean that Minerva McGonagall was on James Potter's Gryffindor team when he went to school. I point this out because i was under the impression that Ms. McGonagall was a lot older than James.

Luna150
welll in book3 mcgonnagal spoke about wat it was like to teach james and sirius etc so maybe she was the one who awarded him the trophy? or because she was gryffindor head

Luna150
Here is a mistake on muglenet
When Tom Riddle was talking to Harry in the Chamber of Secrets he said that they were similar because they were both half-bloods. But Harry isn't a half-blood. Lily and James were both wizards and witches. (Many people say that because Lily was muggle born that makes Harry a half-blood, but that is not true. If both parents are witches and wizards you are a pure-blood. Half-blood means ONE parent is a witch/wizard and the other is a muggle.)
Actually pure blood means u have not a drop of muggle blood in ur viens like the malfoys. And muggles borns have muggle perants sos since ur either pureblood halfblood or muggle born the harry (bein niether pure blood or muggleborn) is half blood

Luna150
Annother "mistake" on mugglenet
(NOTE: This mistake applies only to the US versions.) When Professor McGonagall took Harry to Professer Dumbledore's office, the password was "lemon drop", but then in the 4th book when he's going to tell Dumbledore about Mr. Crouch in the forest it says "...five minutes later he was hurtling towards a stone gargoyle standing half way along an empty corridor. "Sher-sherbet lemon" he panted at it. This was the password to the hidden staircase to Dumbledore's office- or at least it had been 2 years ago."
This is because in british version the passward 2 years about WAS sherbert lemon. So the mistake is thanks to the idiots who change j.k rowling work!

Phoenix
Did you email the people at Mugglenet to tell them Luna? Good spotting!

Linkalicious
God Bless America!...my home sweet home sad

sauron
in book 1 (ps/SS) hagrid says theres not a wizard gone bad that was not out of slytherin, at this time he thought sirius was evil, so that must mean sirius was in slytherin, dont you always get put in a ouse with ur best friends, because friends are the same type of person really

bLooMiLiCioUs
he said that no wizard wich was frm slytherin did not go bad,not that all bad ones are frm slytherin...there's a difference,one's a subset of the otherwink

Ariadne
I don't think that every single evil wizard has come from Slytherin, but most of them have. Just look at Wormtail, who was in Gryffindor, along with all the Mauraders. Hagrid was probably just making a generalization about Slyterins.

Luna150
Yes i did e-mail the mpheonix along with some possible reason fr other mistakes. But since many of the mistakes on mugglenet are mistakes of the publisher who changed it to american dont think they will put it on. I do think its rude though not to mention thease mistakes are not j.k rowlings fault.

Luna150
here is another mistake of mugglenet
On page 133, 4th paragraph, it says that Hermione lent Harry Quidditch through the ages: "She had also lent him Quidditch Through the Ages, which turned out to be a very interesting read." On page 46 paragraph 3 of QTtA, it says "The most successful Japanese team, The Toyohashi Tengu, narrowly missed a win over Lithuania's Gorodok gargoyles in 1994." However, Harry borrows QTtA in Book 1 which is set in 1991. -Thanks Rajan

Mugglenet shouldn't assume the books are is set in 1991 because that is when j.k rowling it. No where in the book does it say a exact year when the book is set so this paragraphs should be proof it was NOT set in 1991 not that it was and j.k made a mistake writing it.

Julie
I didn't catch anything.....but then again I only read the books through once

Luna150

Luna150
just typing in this thread so it stays on front page hehe

DanZeke25
there are a million mistakes on mugglenut.com

sadge
can i say its not really an error but does any1 think aunt petunia was a witch but got expelled like harry nearly did in book 5???

theres something wierd about harrys family and aunt petunia in film 1 theres some thing thats gonna connect in the next book i know it i just dont know what!!!!

oh my god have you seen the harry p 3 preview in the cinema malfoy looks wierd and horrible (no offence)

BOPRecruit 16
i think rowling's biggest error ever in harry potter was the basilisk in book 2. it doesn't sense its prey by hearing, it's smelling with the tongue! besides, a basilisk is a lizard for crying out loud!

The Unknown
It's a magical creature, not a normal animal.

Kitoky
Umm well....Dennis Creavy is a 2nd year in the 5th book, and he was at Hogsmeade....Only 3rd years and up are allowed at Hogsmeade.

devils_angel_82
this may not be a mistake but in the first movie harry forgot his lines and hermionie was mouthing the words to him on there way to Hagrids house

devils_angel_82
in book 1 it seys that Hermione lent Harry Quidditch through the ages"She had also lent him Quidditch Through the Ages, which turned out to be a very interesting read." On page 46 paragraph 3 of QTtA, it says "The most successful Japanese team, The Toyohashi Tengu, narrowly missed a win over Lithuania's Gorodok gargoyles in 1994." However, Harry borrows QTtA in Book 1 which is set in 1991. -Thanks Rajan

Kai_Haider
Someone is borrowing my book so I can't get the quote, but when Sirus was talking to Harry(in book 5 when their by that big...a wtf is the word...omg...embarrasment that big thing with his relatives.) he said that pretty much all of the pure bloods are related because thier is so few pure bloods noadays, but if what you are talking about is true then there should be a ton of pure blood wizards. And Hargrid in book 1 said that their isn't a wizard that isn't half blood or less(sorry I can't give quote, I thought the first 2 sucked so I didn't buy them) but Sirus says that there is...

The Unknown
That mistake was stated on the previous page...

Linkalicious
it's a mistake that isn't really a mistake....how do you know that the book takes place in 1991? it doesn't say a date anywhere in any of the books. It's a fictional story. I heard someone make that point about Dudely having a PS2. Guess what....if JKR wants Dudley to have a PS2 then he's got a freakin PS2 and that's no mistake.

Luna150
BOP that mistake wasn't the biggest of j.k rowlings and it wasn't even a mistaje. She created athe basilisk (al thoght there is legends abotu such a creture) She cpuld have made the basilisk pink with green spots if she wanted to

Candy
er.. i think i've found one... in the third book hermione had exams at the same time... one in charms (which is a main subject) together with ancient runes and transfirgion (main subject) at the same time as arithmancy. how many students need a time turner, because they took ancient runes? because they must do charms, too!

The Unknown
I don't get it, lol. Please explain.

Candy
er... in the third harry potter book, prisoner of azkaban hermione had a time table for the exams. (american version on page 315)There stood:
Monday:
9 o'clock Arithmancy
9 o'clock Transfiguration
Lunch
1 o'clock Charms
1 o'clock Ancient Runes

Transfiguration and Charms are main subjects, they dont choose them... like english, or maths... they can chooses ancient runes and arithmancy. So ya must do for example charms, because it's a main subject. And ya chose ancient runes, nothing exept ancient runes. You need still a time turner, because it's the same time!

The Unknown
Yeah, but I still don't see a mistake, lol.

Candy
how many stuents wpuld need a time turner? Because ever student who has taken ancient runes in the 3rd year need a time turner, because it takes place at the same time like charms, which is a subject everyone has...

The Unknown
It was because she had so many subjects, she needed a time turner to get to all of her classes. If she had just chosen Ancient Runes, then she would have had it at different time than Charms.

Candy
i think all teh third year do the exams at the same time? and if someone takes divinatuion and muggle studies? in the books they said the lessons are often at teh same time!

danis4ever
Aren't they afraid that one day j.k. rowling would actually yell at them and say... "How dare you change the sentences?"

BOPRecruit 16
but, still...the name and statis of a repltile don't apply correctly.

The Unknown
No, they do the exams in their class.

Candy
??? i didnt understand... i think they do them the same time, the of magical creatures for exmaple, all do their exams at 9 o clock, or when....

The Unknown
Like if your Charms class is at 10, then you do your exam at 10. Like in school, you do your science exam in your science class.

hollywoodana
Are you talking about the book or the movie? In the movie, if i recall it correctly, she said sherbert lemon. confused

The Unknown
The book, read what it says...

balrog05z
i've got one in book 3 when lupin saw the activitys at the whomping willow why didn't lupin notice that harry and hermione were also in the forest/hagrids hut at the same time and also why didn't snape notice either whe he took the goblet to lupin in his office

ladygrim
hmmm

Phoenix

Phoenix
Originally posted by Kitoky
Umm well....Dennis Creavy is a 2nd year in the 5th book, and he was at Hogsmeade....Only 3rd years and up are allowed at Hogsmeade.

No he was a fourth year - he's the year below Harry, remember he joined Hogwarts in the 2nd book

Phoenix
Originally posted by devils_angel_82
in book 1 it seys that Hermione lent Harry Quidditch through the ages"She had also lent him Quidditch Through the Ages, which turned out to be a very interesting read." On page 46 paragraph 3 of QTtA, it says "The most successful Japanese team, The Toyohashi Tengu, narrowly missed a win over Lithuania's Gorodok gargoyles in 1994." However, Harry borrows QTtA in Book 1 which is set in 1991. -Thanks Rajan

It wasn't set in 1991 tho, it was just written then

LadySlytherin
This is what i never understood:

The chamber of secrets was "opened 50 years ago" right? Back then, tom was a teenager and living in an orphanage because both of his parents died a long time ago...but it also says "50 years ago the riddle family died..." in book 5....so what is the sequence of events? how could tom go to hogwarts if his family was dead? and how could he have graduated in that orphanage if his parents had only died the same year?

FEDFAN316
i do not understand a word you just said tom was in the orphanage only in the summer and theyre it wouldve been 55 years ago that tom was in hogwarts so his family died probably right before he went to the school its just a guess

Yuna_And_Tidus
Alright I don't know if this error has been specified yet, but I don't feel like reading through the 3 pages.

In Book 1, Harry meets Charlie on top of Hogwarts Tower to send Norbert off to be safe in Romania with his own kind. In Book 2, the book says that Harry's NEVER met Charlie.

I had another error on the tip of my tongue but I forgot what it was. I may update later if I remember it.

Barker
It's not Charlie that he meets. He meets Charlie's friends.

Knew that off the top of my head.

starwarsfreak34
Originally posted by Phoenix
No he was a fourth year - he's the year below Harry, remember he joined Hogwarts in the 2nd book

correction: COLIN creavy joined Hogwarts in book 2, Dennis was his younger brother and came into it in book 4.

starwarsfreak34
Okay, now i have a pretty difficult mistake to work around. this might still not be a mistake, if JK has something planned for DH that affects it but for now it is a mistake:

When we learn of the prophecy in Book 5, we also learn that there was an interruption and that the intruder only heard the first part of the prophecy. Then in book 6 we learn that the intruder was Snape - and we learn this from Trelawny herself. Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but doesnt this mean that Trelawny STOPPED reciting the prophecy half-way through and then continued once Snape was chucked out? I mean, is it possible? And in DD's memory of it, where was the interruption at that point?

The only way that this cannot be a mistake is if we stil have not heard the ENTIRE prophecy, and that the 'first part' that Snape overheard was all of what we read in book5 - and that there is still more to it.

Forcewielder
Originally posted by Luna150
Here is a mistake on muglenet
When Tom Riddle was talking to Harry in the Chamber of Secrets he said that they were similar because they were both half-bloods. But Harry isn't a half-blood. Lily and James were both wizards and witches. (Many people say that because Lily was muggle born that makes Harry a half-blood, but that is not true. If both parents are witches and wizards you are a pure-blood. Half-blood means ONE parent is a witch/wizard and the other is a muggle.)
Actually pure blood means u have not a drop of muggle blood in ur viens like the malfoys. And muggles borns have muggle perants sos since ur either pureblood halfblood or muggle born the harry (bein niether pure blood or muggleborn) is half blood

That's right.

Just because Lily is a fully-trained witch doesn't change the fact that she was still born a muggle which makes Harry a half-blood.

FFNogoodnik
Originally posted by Luna150
here is another mistake of mugglenet
On page 133, 4th paragraph, it says that Hermione lent Harry Quidditch through the ages: "She had also lent him Quidditch Through the Ages, which turned out to be a very interesting read." On page 46 paragraph 3 of QTtA, it says "The most successful Japanese team, The Toyohashi Tengu, narrowly missed a win over Lithuania's Gorodok gargoyles in 1994." However, Harry borrows QTtA in Book 1 which is set in 1991. -Thanks Rajan

Mugglenet shouldn't assume the books are is set in 1991 because that is when j.k rowling it. No where in the book does it say a exact year when the book is set so this paragraphs should be proof it was NOT set in 1991 not that it was and j.k made a mistake writing it.

I also think this may not be a mistake as a book like "Quidditch Through the Ages" most likely would have updated every few years so Harry could have borrowed a previous version of the book.

FFNogoodnik
Originally posted by LadySlytherin
This is what i never understood:

The chamber of secrets was "opened 50 years ago" right? Back then, tom was a teenager and living in an orphanage because both of his parents died a long time ago...but it also says "50 years ago the riddle family died..." in book 5....so what is the sequence of events? how could tom go to hogwarts if his family was dead? and how could he have graduated in that orphanage if his parents had only died the same year?

If I remember correctly, when Tom's mother gave birth she left him in the orphanage before dieing. He did not find out about his father until years later. The "Riddle Family" dieing reffers to Tom's Father and his grandparents

melane
So many mistakes in the book..

babysooner13
Ooo! I have one mistake in my sixth book! I have to find it later though because I'm in school... bummer.

Jim Colyer
I am glad to see the Harry Potter series coming to an end.

Disturbed Angel
I'm not gonna read through the whole thread so someone may have posted this before.

But in Chamber Of Secrets, Percy takes 5 points from Gryffindor off Ron, (When Ron said Percy only cared about losing his chances at Head Boy-ship) after seeing him and Harry come out of Moaning Myrtle's bathroom.

BUT

In Order Of The Phoenix, when Malfoy docked points from Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ernie, Ernie said "Only teachers can dock points, Malfoy." and Malfoy said, "I know prefects can't dock points, Macmillan, but members of the Inquisitorial Squad can."

So how could Percy have taken points off Ron? Was he bluffing?

thefallen544
Prefects can take House Points from Students who aren't Prefects themselves. Only Teachers may take Points from Prefects, however the Inquisitorial Squad was given powers by Umbridge to take Points from Prefects also. I hope that made sense.

Disturbed Angel
Well I understood what you said but....no it didn't make sense. Are you sure? I never saw any proof of that. confused

KMC's Superboy
in book 2 it said myrtle lives in the U bend but in book 4 it says she lives in the S bend

thefallen544
Re- Prefects and house points. Yes I'm sure, here's a link to the Wikia site that explains it more fully in the "Behind the Scenes" section
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Prefect

I'll also try and dig up the passage, although mine may be one of the unaltered prints as I got it early on. Bascially, it was a mistake first time round as such it was changed to outline that Prefects couldn't usually dock points from other Prefects, but could "lower" students. JKR made a mistake and had to change it later.

Disturbed Angel
Originally posted by thefallen544
Re- Prefects and house points. Yes I'm sure, here's a link to the Wikia site that explains it more fully in the "Behind the Scenes" section
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Prefect

I'll also try and dig up the passage, although mine may be one of the unaltered prints as I got it early on. Bascially, it was a mistake first time round as such it was changed to outline that Prefects couldn't usually dock points from other Prefects, but could "lower" students. JKR made a mistake and had to change it later.
Ohhhhhhh. hmm Thanks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.