Undying Lands

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

orlandoOYEA
Ok i understand what the Undying lands are and how they get there and what not. But why did the elves leave middle earth? I know we have gone over this many a time but i am still confuzzled.

kalantiaw
their time was at an end... sauron was defeated... their purpose was served... therefore they return to their source... the undying lands...

Kitoky
Yep their time is ending in the Dying Land (Middle-Earth), The Dwarves are out of existance, and they need to leave because it is their time. They sail to Valinor and forget the memories of Middle-Earth. If they stay in Middle-Earth their connection with Valinor would diminish and they would no longer be immortal.

Exa
They got sick of seeing all the death in Middle-earth

bLooMiLiCioUs
and rightfully soroll eyes (sarcastic)

Discos
yep, did the elves originally come from Valinor?

I also thought that the elves were leaving because they thought Sauron would rule middle-earth and they didnt want to be under his power.

nazgulinthedark
i think that was why they were going

Exa

orlandoOYEA
Kool, thanx everyone

thorC
I have question again . Does anyone have more power than the White Concil? So, They said that Gandalf was sent back to complete his quest as Gandalf the White, so who did that, who made the decision?

Kitoky
The person who sent Gandalf back was the Valar, who is the god of everything basically. Just to keep it simple.....Exa will probably give some far more complicated answer.

sauron
they left because of the one ring,

situation one

the ring is destroyed all that has spawned of thrived on its evil shall diminish, therefore the rings of power shall fade, and there power also diminish, making rivendell lothlorien mirkwood and other homes of elves fade, lose their beauty and die

situation two

sauron gets the ring, then the elven rings wil surivive but be no match for him, rivendell lorien mirkwood etc etc will be destoyed, and a shadow will cover mddle earth

so it was a no-win situation really, go too where sauron cant get you, and go where your homes wont fade I;E the undying lands, and maybe some wnt to tol eressea

fini
we await the wisdom of exa.....hehe

Exa

FreddieFreeload
They had been leaving for quite a time before the War of the Ring. It's much like what Sam did. He returned to where he belonged after saying farewell to Frodo. And different Elves mention at different times the inherit call they have for their home west of the great sea.

Kitoky
I told you Exa was gonna give you a more complicated answer.

Discos
hehe you sure did, thats crazy how the eleves situation was, loose-loose situation it was.

I am wondering what happened to the 3rd elve who receieved a ring of powerr, in the prologue it shows 3 does it not but yet he wasnt at the boat to the undying lands? did he get an earlier ship or decide to stay?

Kitoky
The three ringbearers were Galadriel, Gil-galad, and Cirdan.
Cirdan gave his ring to Gandalf
Gil-galad gave his ring to Elrond before marching off to war in the Last Alliance. So Elrond has the last ring.

Galadriel has Nenya, the Ring of Adamant
Gandalf has Narya the Ring of Fire, or the Red Ring
Elrond has the Ring of Air, The Ring of Sapphire.

shadowy_blue
And Cirdan was supposed to be in the Gray Havens too, though I didn't see him in the movie.

Kitoky
He was at the Grey Havens, you didn't see him??? OHhhh, you should watch next time

shadowy_blue
Where!?! eek! It was Celeborn beside Galadriel, but if it's not who you are referring to, then where was he!?! eek! Tell meeee!!! eek!

Kitoky
Yeah Celeborn was beside her but it was Cirdan was the one that was standing more away furthor to the end of the Dock. You should watch it again.

Exa

Discos
cheers for that, I am away to see it "again" tomorrow.
I was wondering why they wernt there lol

Discos - I shall be seeing the movie in pain due to it will be after my *cough* eagle tattoo *cough*

Kitoky
Thanks for the picture Exa, do you see Cirdan?? Right behind Galadriel??

Exa

Kitoky
And here we have Exa who just ALWAY have to give a more complicated answer to a simple question. Exa, we want to answer the question....not form new ones...big grin big grin

Exa
big grin
But if there are no new questions (btw, what new questions??), what then is the point of a discussion forum? Isnt discussion always about new questions?

PS YOU're the one starting detailed answers... *pointing on some certain post five above mine* wink wink

Discos
lol,

I actually never noticed that there was someone behind them until you showed that Photo, I will look closely when I see it later on today.

shadowy_blue
LOL..that thing confused me..I know Cirdan has a beard in the book and I've also noticed the Elf behind them but it never came to me that it was Cirdan seeing that he doesn't have a beard. Thanks for the pic. big grin

Kitoky
Those New Questions are simple ones really.....not like hard ones like "What's Dol Guldur?"

Exa
big grin
But whatsdolguldur is not really hard

shadow link
obviously i dont pay enough attention

Ushgarak
Err, Exa, I don;t think Gil-Galad GAVE his to Elrond. I think Elrond inherited it ater Gil-Galad's death.

Exa
He gave it to Elrond short BEFORE his death.

sauron
damn i thought i could pounce there.....like a coiled viper i wait still.......exa......im waiting big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Ushgarak
You make it sound as if it was bequeathed permanently.

The reason Elrond has the Ring is because Gil-Galad died.

sauron
he gave him it before he the battle incase he died

Exa
@Ush: Tolkien stated that it was given to him before Gil-Galad's death; he was a wise elf perhaps he foresaw something like that.

big grin sounds scary......... huh I think Il really stop saying anything wink

sauron
no where would the fun in that be

because later on il pounce and you wont have been wrong lol then you can laugh at me

Exa
okok big grin

I think we've come a bit offtopic, didnt we?

Freyja
Wouldn't YOU want to go to Valinor!? Lol.
Their time was ending. If they stayed then the Time of Men wouldn't have come to be, and that would interfere with the future. Everything is changing, and it makes them sad, so they leave to where they can rest in peace and beauty without death and hardship.
I'd much prefer to live in Valinor!

Exa
If I were an elf perhaps I would;
But I think Valinor would be pretty boring for Mortals - especially when knowing that there is no turning back

Kitoky
Valinor IS The elve's retirement home. And some others as well. I'll go to Valinor! To be reunited with my dear Glorfindel.

sauron
id go to valinor, get the t-shirt leave, become and exile :P and then live in tol erresea and go to the cottage of lost play....then it would be back to middle earth, go to see tom bombadil steal goldberry from him, then right back into mordor

Ariadne
Sounds like a good plan to me Sauron. I bet there would be a really cool Valinor t-shirt too.

sauron
probably, although it would be all advertisements

for free transoport to valinor call 0800-icontrolltheeagles and as for manwe

come see the the 'bones of bilbo baggings' in the underwater museum of ulmo

learn to ride ad how to discover new civilisations with me...orome....call 0800-idiscoveredtheelves

who would walk around with that on teir back

Ariadne
I'm sure you could find someone to wear it. It would have to be in a really cool font though, so it wouldn't be too bad.

sauron
yeah but would have to be REALLY cool font, like the letters woven in, in mithril

and i wouldnt wear it, the last person to try new back-wear was boromir with that shield, and we all know what happened to poor turtle boy, aragorn name called but the orcs took the bullying too far

Ariadne
Yeah, trend-setting can be dangerous sometimes. Poor Boromir.

If the letters were in mithril I would forget about the cool font, destroy the shirt, and make myself a mithril ring. That would be a much cooler souvenir then some t-shirt.

sauron
nah the t-shirt, because mithril rings can come from anywhere

Ariadne
Yeah that's true. And it would be the really cool font.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.