KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Undying Lands

Undying Lands
Started by: orlandoOYEA

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
orlandoOYEA
Since When?

Undying Lands

Ok i understand what the Undying lands are and how they get there and what not. But why did the elves leave middle earth? I know we have gone over this many a time but i am still confuzzled.

made by cinemaddiction

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 12:16 AM
orlandoOYEA is currently offline Click here to Send orlandoOYEA a Private Message Find more posts by orlandoOYEA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

their time was at an end... sauron was defeated... their purpose was served... therefore they return to their source... the undying lands...

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 01:05 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Yep their time is ending in the Dying Land (Middle-Earth), The Dwarves are out of existance, and they need to leave because it is their time. They sail to Valinor and forget the memories of Middle-Earth. If they stay in Middle-Earth their connection with Valinor would diminish and they would no longer be immortal.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 01:41 AM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

They got sick of seeing all the death in Middle-earth

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 02:26 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Anoushka
The Vampire Anoushka

and rightfully soroll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 02:30 PM
Anoushka is currently offline Click here to Send Anoushka a Private Message Find more posts by Anoushka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

yep, did the elves originally come from Valinor?

I also thought that the elves were leaving because they thought Sauron would rule middle-earth and they didnt want to be under his power.

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 02:58 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

i think that was why they were going

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 02:58 PM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by Discos
yep, did the elves originally come from Valinor?

No.
They were born in the far east of Middle-earth, near the later mordor but a bit more east, at the Shores of Cuiviénen.
The gods invited them to Valinor, but not all dared that perilous road (for example the eloves of mirkwood did not); those who refused were called moriquendi or darkelves, the others calaquendi or Eldar. among them were the vanyar, the noldor and the teleri; after some revolution of feanor, most of the noldor came back to middle-earth (among them galadriel) and they rose against the valar. they were banned from valinor, but some returned (like galadriel).

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 03:27 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
orlandoOYEA
Since When?

Kool, thanx everyone

made by cinemaddiction

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 03:44 PM
orlandoOYEA is currently offline Click here to Send orlandoOYEA a Private Message Find more posts by orlandoOYEA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thorC

I have question again . Does anyone have more power than the White Concil? So, They said that Gandalf was sent back to complete his quest as Gandalf the White, so who did that, who made the decision?

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 04:23 PM
thorC is currently offline Click here to Send thorC a Private Message Find more posts by thorC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

quote:
Originally posted by thorC
I have question again . Does anyone have more power than the White Concil? So, They said that Gandalf was sent back to complete his quest as Gandalf the White, so who did that, who made the decision?

The person who sent Gandalf back was the Valar, who is the god of everything basically. Just to keep it simple.....Exa will probably give some far more complicated answer.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 06:20 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

they left because of the one ring,

situation one

the ring is destroyed all that has spawned of thrived on its evil shall diminish, therefore the rings of power shall fade, and there power also diminish, making rivendell lothlorien mirkwood and other homes of elves fade, lose their beauty and die

situation two

sauron gets the ring, then the elven rings wil surivive but be no match for him, rivendell lorien mirkwood etc etc will be destoyed, and a shadow will cover mddle earth

so it was a no-win situation really, go too where sauron cant get you, and go where your homes wont fade I;E the undying lands, and maybe some wnt to tol eressea

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 06:37 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

we await the wisdom of exa.....hehe

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 08:51 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by thorC
Does anyone have more power than the White Concil? So, They said that Gandalf was sent back to complete his quest as Gandalf the White, so who did that, who made the decision?

Valar is not one god lol Valar (plural; singular would be Vala) is a term for all the 15 - or 14 without Melkor - most mighty godlike creatures that came to Arda (the whole world, middle-earth is only a part of it) in the very beginning and helped shaping the world.
The only real god - who has I think not so much to do with the decision about Gandalf - is Eru the One or Ilúvatar Allfather.

And these Gods do have more power than the White Council - Gandalf, Sauron and Saruman are something like sub-gods ("Maiar") and less mighty than the Valar.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2004 08:39 PM
FreddieFreeload

quote:
Originally posted by sauron
they left because of the one ring

They had been leaving for quite a time before the War of the Ring. It's much like what Sam did. He returned to where he belonged after saying farewell to Frodo. And different Elves mention at different times the inherit call they have for their home west of the great sea.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2004 08:46 PM
FreddieFreeload is currently offline Click here to Send FreddieFreeload a Private Message Find more posts by FreddieFreeload Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

I told you Exa was gonna give you a more complicated answer.

Thank you so much Eezy!!

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2004 12:07 AM
Discos
The Discmeister

hehe you sure did, thats crazy how the eleves situation was, loose-loose situation it was.

I am wondering what happened to the 3rd elve who receieved a ring of powerr, in the prologue it shows 3 does it not but yet he wasnt at the boat to the undying lands? did he get an earlier ship or decide to stay?

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2004 12:09 AM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

The three ringbearers were Galadriel, Gil-galad, and Cirdan.
Cirdan gave his ring to Gandalf
Gil-galad gave his ring to Elrond before marching off to war in the Last Alliance. So Elrond has the last ring.

Galadriel has Nenya, the Ring of Adamant
Gandalf has Narya the Ring of Fire, or the Red Ring
Elrond has the Ring of Air, The Ring of Sapphire.

Thank you so much Eezy!!

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2004 12:19 AM
shadowy_blue

And Cirdan was supposed to be in the Gray Havens too, though I didn't see him in the movie.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2004 12:22 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

He was at the Grey Havens, you didn't see him??? OHhhh, you should watch next time

Thank you so much Eezy!!

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2004 12:24 AM