Into the West

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

orlandoOYEA
Does anyone else ABSOULUTLEY love this song. It is so good, I think it should win the award for best original song most definatley. I almost cried when i heard it for the first time.

Exa
Yes I do smile

And all is turned... to silver glass............ *sniff*

Here the whole text:

Lay down
your sweet and weary head
Night is falling,
you have come to journey's end.
Sleep now,
and dream of the ones who came before.
They are calling
from across the distant shore.

Why do weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
all of your fears will pass away,
safe in my arms
you're only sleeping.

What can you see
on the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea
a pale moon rises --
The ships have come to carry you home.

Dawn will turn
to silver glass
A light on the water
All souls pass.

Hope fades
into the world of night
through shadows falling
out of memory and time.
Don't say,
"We have come now to the end."
White shores are calling
you and I will meet again.

And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping.

What can can you see
on the horizon?
Across the sea
a pale moon rises --
The ships have come to carry you home.

And all will turn
to silver glass
A light on the water
Grey ships pass
Into the west.

Lord_Andres
thats a great song

Kitoky
Yesssssss Into the West in my opinion was the best ending song out of all of the 3 LotR movies. I didn't really care for Gollum's song, but Enya's was good also.

orlandoOYEA
I had the total pic of Frodo leaving in my head when it was sang
TEARSA

Melani
it is a beautful song

LegolasIsMyMan
The first time i heard it * haven't seen movies* I cried...I could picture what was happening... I cried, it's so sad,but such a compelling song..... I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT

Elenelda
It is *sniff* so sad!
One think that makes me homesick is when it talks about the ship carrying you home. The wierd thing is, I was in my room when I felt homesick. It seems like I don't have a home, and *suddenly getting annoyed with herself* why on earth am I telling this to you? I am an idiot, don't mind me.

Suzuka
The first time I heard it, I was already crying actually (it was on Trilogy Tuesday) and we had to leave early (cause it was like 2 am) so I didn't get to listen to it, and I went back the next day (well, 8 hours later stick out tongue) and listened to it during the credits and was like "whoa, this stinks, it's too sad!" but then again, it's not really sad, because it's saying that Sam will be able to follow later (and he does...sorry if i ruined it for anyone stick out tongue) but yes, good song, though I like Pip's a lot too

Aurora
I read an article the other day about a boy (ah I wish I could remember his name) that worked on the lotr. He was young and he had cancer, he died during the filming. Fran has said that when she was writing Into the West that she was thinking of him. I cried when I read teh article. At the end of the ROTK the movie is dedicated to him.

Suzuka
That's sad, but cool to know...plus dedicated to PJ's parents and other people i don't know stick out tongue

Kitoky
Hey Aurora, we never really got to see Fran's face have we?? I've never seen Fran, I've only heard her voice in the Commentary.

Aurora
No she stays out of the spotlight.

Suzuka
actually, at theonering.net there's pics of here...go to the scrap book and go to Fran Welsh smile it's pretty easy...though she does stay out of the spot light mostly, that's true

fini
really??

hmmm in the EE remember PJ said that one of them had to public and the other be perfectly private..........so she chose to be the one behind the scenes

Camellia
I must admit that when I first heard it, I was a little doubtful, believing it to sound too modern (I know I'm terrible, but I thought the same about Gollum's Song too, which I now also adore)...however, now that I have heard it all the way through, I think it is beautiful.

'Don't say,
"We have come now to the end."
White shores are calling
you and I will meet again.'

Those lines especially - they make me nearly cry, because I can just imagine Frodo saying them to Sam before he leaves...

Lovely, a real inspirationsmile

muse5
ooh, me too me too!!! it's such a great song, listen to it at midnight, its even cooler, i usually listen to the soundtrack to get me to sleep at night, that song is so cool and great and AAAH it deserves an oscar, or a golden globe, or something

may it be was a pretty cool song too, enya and annie lennox did like perfect jobs on these songs

Smodden
when i first heard Annie Lenox was gonna sing the song 4 rotk i was terrified! all i could see was her singin some upbeat techno song like:
"these dreams are made of these/ I've sailed the world and the 7 seas"
*blah*
but she did the song so well in rotk.

Kitoky
How the song comes out usually depends on how it's written and if it follows the music that plays with it.

Pipage558
i love that song! its really sad! i was crying during it!

jjoutlaw3
i LOVED that song. i was kind of sniffing throughout the whole movie, but, at the end, when the song came on, i just broke down and started sobbing and all my friends were staring at me. it makes me so sad, especially when she sings "why do the white gulls call?" i dont know why. it just sort of tears my heart. i luv that song. i am listening to the soundtrack right now, but i havent reached that song yet. i liked it better than enya's song, and that was really good.

pip-foot
hey, i know this is kinda useless, but i wanted to know if there were any biblical allusions in Inot hte west of any other LOTR song. I have to do this stupid project for school and i need 2 songs with biblical allusions. if you could help that would be great thanx.

anaritearbina
you might consider putting up the words for all of us that don't have the CD... I don't know just a suggestion. smile smile smile By the way, It's me! Can't you tell.

Smodden
who's me?
and hmmm....i don't know of any LOTR songs with biblical themes...
into the west....no
gollum's song...no
enya...............no
sory...try the matrix, there's tons of biblical stuff in those movies.

Phoenix
here we go...

Artist: Annie Lennox Lyrics
Song: Into the West Lyrics

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
The night is falling
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

What can you see
On the horizon?
Across the sea
A pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
All Souls pass

Hope fades
Into the world of night
Through shadows falling
Out of memory and time
Don't say
We have come now to the end
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again
And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping

Chorus

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
Grey ships pass
Into the West

Drac39
Interesting assignment

pip-foot
yeah. its this stupid stuff for english. we're studying the bible and its public school!!!!!!!! Quite annoying really.

Smodden
to catch a fish so juicy sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!

anaritearbina
I don't know Pip-foot. I'm sure you can figure out something from one of Pip's drinking songs. Because you love them so much.

Me? It's me. The person that no one knows because I didn't join until recently. Pip-foot has been telling me it's really cool and that I should join. So I did.

Thanks for the lyrics. Been wanting to read them. I can sing the song now. It makes me happy. smile wink Happy Dance Happy Dance

Smodden
oh welcome to the forums!
i'm the one in charge around here...wink

Kitoky
That song was so freakin' beautiful, sums up the whole triolgy. sad Sad really.

anaritearbina
Hi! Cool

pip-foot
you can delet this too. done with this as well smile

muse5
I love that song, it has such a mystical sound to it, try listening to it at midnight in the dark, even cooler effect (i have sleeping problems)
I'm pretty good at analyzing things and i didn't really see any biblical allusions, kinda reminds me of stairway to heaven actually, i can't think of any songs that have biblical allusions, very interesting assignment tho, i wish i could do songs, we do emily dickinson poems sad

LegolasIsMyMan
I think that there is a similarity actually...
because it is like saying, lay down your sweet and weary head, that can be like telling someone who is sick or who is dying ,to just rest...and let go...
just keepthinking of it

sauron
ok this song is depressing...but i love it.....

i mean even without the movie just finished im getting tears no

MorgulLord
u mean off SoundTrack?

sauron
yeah, put it on

MorgulLord
*ok, runs 2 cd player*

MorgulLord
presses play. *sniff, sniff*

"Mum wheres the Prozac?"

Smodden
theres millions of these threads already....but if u insist on making another one....

into the west is a beautifull song that makes big guys cry *sniffle* annie lenox is perfect for the song and i wouldn't have anyone else sing it...(with the exeption of liv's dad: aerosmith's own: Steven tylersmile

sauron
lol big grin

music to tie a breeze block to your ankle and jump of a bridge too stick out tongue

i love this song.....loves song....but sinks into depression

MorgulLord
Best song ever is Track 6, Minas Morgul!!

MWUAUAHAHAHuAHAHAHAH

sauron
lol whoa whoha SAURON IS A LADY!!! whoah whoah SAURON IS A LADY!

or maybe

love in the crack of mt doom...living up while gollum burns love in the cracks of mt doom

MorgulLord
lmao. you know when Frodo and Sam are rescued by the Eagles, they shudve played "I believe in Miracles, so wher you from, you flying thing!"

Smodden
laughing laughing track 6 is my fav after itw

MorgulLord
In order of greaness:

1.trak 3 -Minas Tirith
2. Into the west
3. Minas Morgul
4.the White tree
5.Ride of the Rohirrim
6.on the fields of Pellenor

Exa
They are all great but they are best all together :]

I love the text of Into The West... especially the quotes from The Grey Havens *sniff* nobody can describe such things better than Tolkien sad

sauron
smilesmileyessmilesmile

MorgulLord
(totaly off topic) but who hates the ey Denthor says pellenor

"Pell-ee-nor"

I will not hold the river at Pell-ee-nor un-faught or sumit. annoying !

MorgulLord
tomcat WHOA big grin

Discos
Yo peeps, on for my usual visiting times due to this damn "removal" business in my room.

Ride of the Rohirrm is my ultimate favourite! Into the West rules too though.

I have found something to do in my room which now conists of simply a matress and this PC and that is read the Salmarillion, tis quite awesome and I cannot wait to finish it.

Kitoky
I'm debating whether to close this thread or merge it........

Discos
lol, seeing as Kit is the new mod are we going to see many deleted/shifted/banned/merged things?

Kitoky
Got that right. laughing

shadowy_blue
Just merge it with the others Kit if you really have to clean this up. big grin Not that I'm ordering you..LOL...just..a suggestion. stick out tongue

Kitoky
Agreed

Exa
Merge. Best thing about forums big grin I love merging. And afterwards is more practical than closing.

Lol offtopic indeed
but
the pronounciations of the names in the film are a little weird. In English as in German... in English the vowels are totally strange, in German the th is pronounced wrong in half of all cases it occurs... Saruman is the only one who speaks all of the names right lol
I used to say which is definitely wrong... it should really be (the second e short but stressed) as nn comes from -n+d- and counts as two consonants I think, so as its a polysyllabic word with two consonants and short vowel before it its the one-before-the-last-vowel that has to be stressed

pip-foot
Originally posted by Smodden
theres millions of these threads already....but if u insist on making another one....

I said Kit could close it, but apparently he doesnt want to smile

muse5
definetly ride of the rohirrim is my favorite, well besides into the west, great song, steven tyler should do a remake, probably as trippy as zeppelin done by rastas

anaritearbina
I'm going to cry...cuz I don't have the CD. And pip-foot won't lend it to me...not even for a few hours... Please!! Pip-foot lend it to me!

muse5
omg, today in english this girl and my teacher were totally trashing the entire soundtrack, they were like it's such a dumb song, it was the worst, the soundtrack is the same and howard shore didn't deserve to win the oscar, Before you die you see the (lord of the)Ring(s), you will die in 7 days, i was so mad, i'm like ur dumb and don't know anything about music

Discos
not much talk of LOTR goes around in the school, me and my mates always discuss whilst in the pub but never at school for some reason.

However in the english Dept there is always posters, if anyone did slag/diss LOTR I would be sure to give them a slap or start slagging them off....

Discos - aint no ***** at my school can beat Mr Discs in a slag-off

Assassin Q
I thought it was such a nice song. You can tell it was written for Lord of the Rings. I really like Annie Lennox too so it was like the greatest thing when I heard she was doing the song.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.