Morgoth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Discos
Due to amazon being rubbish, or perhaps the Postal service, I have no received my Salmarillion.

I read a few pages at my friends one time about Morgoth, I am just wondering why he was also called melkor and how was he destroyed?

Discos - details people smile

shaber
Melkor was called Morgoth in the first age - the last few centuries before he was thrown into the void, his iron crown becoming a collar. When he was named Melkor he was alot stronger. Morgoth had lost his native element altogether by taking physical form. However, it is said that he wasted his power on selfindulgence and wickedness, so it seems that he decayed over time inevitably through being evil. Sauron had the sense to preserve himself by forging the Ring and therefore keeping all his native element.

nazgulinthedark
didn't sauron work for him or something?

shadowy_blue
Yes. Sauron was first a Maia of Aule but Melkor corrupted him. He became Morgoth's mightiest servant and lieutenant.

shadowy_blue
Melkor was Melkor's name at the first age as the mightiest of the Ainur. But then he was (how do I say this?) "disqualified" and banished because of his terrible doings. He's destroying everything that the Valar had made and he was named "Morgoth" by Feanor after he stole the Silmarils. smile

Morgoth = The dark enemy of the world.

Melkor = He who shows his power.

Morgoth was destroyed in the War of Wrath. Earendil came to Valinor to seek help from the Valar. Then all forces of Valinor marched to Middle-earth to battle Morgoth. All the orcs and Morgoth's minions were destroyed save some Balrogs and Dragons. Then Morgoth fled into his deepest mines, but he was dragged out and bound by the chain Angainor and Morgoth's crown was made into a collar for his neck. Morgoth was ouththrusted beyond the confines of the World, the Outer Dark, the Void. But he's not entirely destroyed though, prophecies tell that he will come back into the World before its end. Come Dagor Dagorath!!! big grin

Discos
ok glad I have got that cleared up. I knew Sauron had a connection with Melkor but didnt he end up bailing on him in time of battle?

sauron
Sauron was his leiutenant big grin

melkor was his real name...he was a valar...but he wanted to rule over people and be called lord..so he waged war on the valar..and was winning until tulkas came along and whupped him to higgh heaven stick out tongue then they cast him in chains for three ages...but he was nice and friendly so they let him go..then he stole the silmarils big grin and feanor called him 'dark foe of earth' translation 'morgoth'

he wasnt ever destroyed he was defeated and cast into the void....later after lotr sauron was cast there too....they return in the dagor dagorath the last battle where fionwe cleaves the world with celeg aithorn, then everyone goes up to iluvatar who says

you see...it is as i said...your evil only worked out to greaten the glory of my work....

then they are forgiven big grin and then everybody sings in the second music of the ainur stick out tongue

yey long post

Bar-en-Danwedh
melkor was only weakened because he sacrificed his own being and power into making the dragons and other fell beasts.

Glaurung really payed off! ...if only he had gone the distance!!!!

grishnakah
come on guys i thought you would know the answer to this his name was morgoth when he was a valar but when he started to rebel and bring coruption to the music of the valar the elves named him melkor meaning dark enemy or something like that.

feanor
no...i think for sure he was called Melkor even before the coming of elves...'twas Iluvatar who said: "Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor..."

shadowy_blue
Eeehh...it actually was already answered in not just 1 but I believe 3 posts above. Read again.

And you actually have your fact the other way around. Melkor was his name first before he was called Morgoth.

shaber
The Ring channels Melkor's discordant note evil face

samIam
oic

Bar-en-Danwedh
oic? what is oic?

sauron
erm ok stop the superior attitude

when he was a vala...he was ALWAYS a vala

he was melkor before he stole the silmarils...then feanor named him morgoth..which means dark foe of earth

and oic...oh i see

Exa

sauron
yeah because in M:Ethings are named of what they do lol (sometimes)

like melkor..means he who arises in might....so that will have been given to him by elves who..know what he did....so actually it may be true he was called morgoth by feanor before any elf named him melkor.....but melkor is the name given to him BEFORE the morgoth incident...so erm....hes melkor before...but was named it after big grin

smaug means to crawl in hole (the hole the dwarves were in???)

Exa
Cool
Where did you get that info?

Yeah exactly... expecially the Valar have names that exactly describe their character and what they do in Valinor.

Lol other names of Morgoth: Caluminator, the Diabolus, the Marrer, Evil Prince, Prince of Evil Heart, Vala of Iron, Lord of Iron, the Evil One... or the The Foe stick out tongue

sauron
Diabolus im guessing is somehow related to diablo...spanish for devil

and its all in the E of A...give syou name race how long they lived..what there name means....and a descri stick out tongue

Exa
Yep, like in most romanic languages big grin in french, in italian, in spanish...

Practical big grin perhaps I should really start using it stick out tongue

Bar-en-Danwedh
melk in dutch is milk. melkor is probably what they call the milkmen in holland... stick out tongue

Exa
Lol... Melkor the milkman big grin
A variation of his name stem is "Milka" (*greedy*)... and I think Milka-chocolate is quite well-known big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.