Common Pirate Misconceptions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

airangel429

airangel429

airangel429
Parrots: Probably became widely thought of from the story "Treasure Island", specifically from the character "Long John Silver". There is a deal of controversy on this subject as many people suspect that pirates were much too practical to deal with pets. A parrot permanently stationed on the shoulder of a pirate would regularly generate a mess. As well, a parrot might get in the way of work, or be consumed during hard times at sea. So it is highly unlikely that having a parrot, or any pet for that matter, was too popular with pirates... Maybe some pirates dealt with their pet's messes just like some people today?

Phoenix
One thing I heard was that their Big gold hoop earrings were supposed to help them see longer/better... or at least, thats probably what the shmucks who bought 'em were told! wink

Not sure on the exact details tho... I read it in a Horrible Histories book! big grin

airangel429
really? i never heard about the hoops......i'm gonna try to find some more interesting things tomorrow when i have the time again.

MissesDepp?!
the gold hoops were supposed to pay for their weddings when they died.

MissesDepp?!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WEDDINGS SORRY I MEANT FUNERALS!!!!!!!!!!!!

airangel429
Oh! Funerals...........figures...pirates

Astro12345
yeah. It tells these things in the POTC special features. Its pretty interesting.

Seiko
Planks: Walking the plank was supposedly made big by the movie industry. Back then, pirates considered it a waste to make their captives walk the plank since they enjoyed putting them through more horrid tortures for their personal pleasure, such as whippings and 'rogering at the railing'. pirate

airangel429
really? I didn't know that..........but then again movies and books tend to feed things into our minds! big grin

Unholy_Cheese
I use to love books but now i never read any, now its movies for meyes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.