Sméagol (*gollum, gollum*)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shadowy_blue
For one, Smeagol/Gollum, Andy Serkis and the Trick Team deserve a thread.

No one would have guessed, back when the first rumors circulated about Peter Jackson's movies, that in the end, one of the trilogy's greatest performances would come from a man whose only costume was white spandex.

No one would have guessed that the actor who logged more hours at work than any of the others would only see himself on screen for about five minutes.

No one would have guessed, back in December 2002, that audiences would remain silent and serious while a computer-animated character perched on a rock and argued with the two sides of his personality.

But they were quiet, and they were convinced. Andy Serkis is brilliant.

Very few actors could portray a character that audiences can laugh at and pity, love and hate, cheer one minute and be horrified the next. Gollum is an excellent character both from the book and the movies. Kudos to the brilliance of Andy Serkis, Peter Jackson, and WETA's design team for bringing this very interesting character to life.

So, any Smeagol/Gollum/Andy Serkis fans out there? smile

Aurora
YES!!! Andy Serkis is a wonderful actor! He deserves an Oscar! Not only did he bring the Gollum that I had hoped for to life he also gave him depth that I had no idea the character possesed.

He also lended voices to countless characters in all 3 of the movies!

shadowy_blue
Really?! big grin Didn't know that. Who are those characters? eek!

Bar-en-Danwedh
2 of the 3 orcs arguing about whether or not to eat merry and pippin in TTT. the ringwraiths wispery voice only, fran walsh did all the shrill screams.

Kitoky
We just call the white spandex a Gimp Suit. wink But yes Andy Serkis really needs an award for his performance as Gollum.

Alar
he did. he won at the british empire award last nite... i saw him win it...... i think for best british actor..

Kitoky
OH that's cool.

Firithlotwen
i dont really like the way andy played smeagol/gollum....... i wasnt convinced.........

mmmmmmmmmmmm

his voice as smeagol was too forced and unnatural

some of gollum's attitudes were too modern, too like actual times........ i dont know how to explain this...... like if he were out off place and time...... i mean he acted smeagol/gollum like he's a human in the middle of a big city with a cell phone, car, computer and modern things, not like a hobbit turned into creature gollum by the ring of power...

well i hope anyone understands me confused

Iirima
um...sorta...but I think he was EXCELLENT. wink

SlipknoT
The sad thing is that after lotr we'll probably never hear of him again sad

Iirima
no NO! That can't be! That *is* sad. Andy Serkis was great.

shadowy_blue
If you weren't convinced with what they have done, I have no clue whatever or whoever else could convince you with the job that has to be done to bring Gollum to life. I'm sorry for you.

Leggy_n_Merry
He's just brilliant I'm so glad he one awards he so deserves it! Well done Andy big grin Oh i didn't know that he did the whispery voices for the ringwraiths that's great! But I knew he did it for them orcs as he says on TTT EE commentry big grin Oh btw Alar I LOVE your avatar wink

Iirima

Firithlotwen
well me neither....... but i know for sure that i didnt like andy's job........ the "they did" part, i didnt say anything about the crew, pj, weta, etc...... i just didnt like andy's acting and i gave my reasons..... this doesnt mean my or your opinions are wrong, they are just different from the others....... so dont feel sorry for me, its a waste of you emotions wink

on the first edit i added this part: the "they did" part, i didnt say anything about the crew, pj, weta, etc...... i just didnt like andy's acting and i gave my reasons

on the second edit i added the reasons for editing :P

Exa
YEAH big grin Gollum fan here big grin

I think Andy Serkis and the digital thing team did a really amazing job with Gollum, as also Tolkien did in creating him thumb up

Aurora
Oh and on Andy off the movie: When he is in the makeing of Sean Astin's film on the special features he cracks me up..... I literally cannot stop laughing at him. He is hilarious!

Smodden
um...regarding andy serkis...

did anyone see "13 going on 30"?
andy was hilarius in it!!! he was great....

shadowy_blue
I saw him in the trailer, and I want to see it just because of him. stick out tongue

Nah..to be honest, I think the movie looks good. smile

Smodden
it was good....and andy was the best.....he had some of the funniest lines of the movie...

shadowy_blue
Was it just a cameo or was he a principal character?

Smodden
he played a big part in the movie...he was the editor in chief at the magazine place jennifer worked at...

he was constanttly on the babble never given a moments peacelaughing

shadowy_blue
I want to see it. sad

muse5
gotta love andy serkis, i think that he should have won an oscar for all of the work that he did with gollum, the cgi was amazing, but he put so much character into gollum, i'm really pleased, and i know a lot of other purists who are as well

^^i saw that on E! i was doing homework and i just here this voice with a british accent (the tv was on in the background and i didn't even have to look up) and i say 'andy serkis!!' really loudly... i want to see it too, i'm sure that some of my friends saw it already, ill report back and say if it was good or not according to them

Smodden
it was good....not the best but good...def worth the 6 dollarssmile

shadowy_blue
I'll see it..next week? messed (OK..I'm just in love with this smilie, I've noticed I've already used it for a hundred times now..messed ..see?)

I have stupid school tomorrow. no

muse5
School sucks, i was supposed to have vacation last week but we had too many snow days, so i only had friday off, i'll wait till the movie comes to the cheap theater that only cost $3 to get in

Smodden
laughing@s-b

sorky musesad

shadowy_blue
'Nyways, has anyone here bought Andy's book about Gollum and filmmaking? I want to buy it..but I haven't gotten to the bookstore yet. messed

Smodden
i saw it...but didn't buy it.....scanned thru it though...looke good enough

:s

messed

shadowy_blue
What's the book all about? I know it's about Gollum and all but what else does it talk about? confused Is it a thick book, or just a thin one?

Smodden
its got lots of pics in it...and its a medium sized book....

shadowy_blue
eek!

*goes off like a thunder to get the book*

.....though not really....

Smodden
like a thunder......?....messed

i like it...

scott hiwersh
Did you all get the last collector's edition w/ the gollum dvd and book? Pretty cool... I am hoping this years Collector's for ROTK will have something similar... Man, I cannot wait!.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.