KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Sméagol (*gollum, gollum*)

Sméagol (*gollum, gollum*)
Started by: shadowy_blue

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
shadowy_blue

Sméagol (*gollum, gollum*)

For one, Smeagol/Gollum, Andy Serkis and the Trick Team deserve a thread.

No one would have guessed, back when the first rumors circulated about Peter Jackson's movies, that in the end, one of the trilogy's greatest performances would come from a man whose only costume was white spandex.

No one would have guessed that the actor who logged more hours at work than any of the others would only see himself on screen for about five minutes.

No one would have guessed, back in December 2002, that audiences would remain silent and serious while a computer-animated character perched on a rock and argued with the two sides of his personality.

But they were quiet, and they were convinced. Andy Serkis is brilliant.

Very few actors could portray a character that audiences can laugh at and pity, love and hate, cheer one minute and be horrified the next. Gollum is an excellent character both from the book and the movies. Kudos to the brilliance of Andy Serkis, Peter Jackson, and WETA's design team for bringing this very interesting character to life.

So, any Smeagol/Gollum/Andy Serkis fans out there? smile

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 03:49 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aurora
Princess

YES!!! Andy Serkis is a wonderful actor! He deserves an Oscar! Not only did he bring the Gollum that I had hoped for to life he also gave him depth that I had no idea the character possesed.

He also lended voices to countless characters in all 3 of the movies!

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 04:38 AM
Aurora is currently offline Click here to Send Aurora a Private Message Find more posts by Aurora Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

Really?! big grin Didn't know that. Who are those characters? eek!

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 04:55 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bar-en-Danwedh
House of Ransom

2 of the 3 orcs arguing about whether or not to eat merry and pippin in TTT. the ringwraiths wispery voice only, fran walsh did all the shrill screams.

the man they simply nicknamed 'oh @#$%' !!!

rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 05:27 AM
Bar-en-Danwedh is currently offline Click here to Send Bar-en-Danwedh a Private Message Find more posts by Bar-en-Danwedh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

We just call the white spandex a Gimp Suit. wink But yes Andy Serkis really needs an award for his performance as Gollum.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 11:51 AM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CherryWings
I See Hell In Your Eyes

he did. he won at the british empire award last nite... i saw him win it...... i think for best british actor..

http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=63016104

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 12:23 PM
CherryWings is currently offline Click here to Send CherryWings a Private Message Find more posts by CherryWings Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

OH that's cool.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 12:23 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firithlotwen

i dont really like the way andy played smeagol/gollum....... i wasnt convinced.........

mmmmmmmmmmmm

his voice as smeagol was too forced and unnatural

some of gollum's attitudes were too modern, too like actual times........ i dont know how to explain this...... like if he were out off place and time...... i mean he acted smeagol/gollum like he's a human in the middle of a big city with a cell phone, car, computer and modern things, not like a hobbit turned into creature gollum by the ring of power...

well i hope anyone understands me confused

Thanks you all in LOTR Forum for making life more fun!

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 03:21 PM
Firithlotwen is currently offline Click here to Send Firithlotwen a Private Message Find more posts by Firithlotwen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nienna
nonexistent

um...sorta...but I think he was EXCELLENT. wink

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 03:39 PM
Nienna is currently offline Click here to Send Nienna a Private Message Find more posts by Nienna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

The sad thing is that after lotr we'll probably never hear of him again sad

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 03:44 PM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nienna
nonexistent

no NO! That can't be! That *is* sad. Andy Serkis was great.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 03:46 PM
Nienna is currently offline Click here to Send Nienna a Private Message Find more posts by Nienna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

quote:
Originally posted by Firithlotwen
i dont really like the way andy played smeagol/gollum....... i wasnt convinced.........

If you weren't convinced with what they have done, I have no clue whatever or whoever else could convince you with the job that has to be done to bring Gollum to life. I'm sorry for you.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 03:50 PM
Leggy_n_Merry
There is always hope

He's just brilliant I'm so glad he one awards he so deserves it! Well done Andy big grin Oh i didn't know that he did the whispery voices for the ringwraiths that's great! But I knew he did it for them orcs as he says on TTT EE commentry big grin Oh btw Alar I LOVE your avatar wink

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 04:07 PM
Leggy_n_Merry is currently offline Click here to Send Leggy_n_Merry a Private Message Find more posts by Leggy_n_Merry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nienna
nonexistent

EE's are cool. GO ANDY! I loved his Gollum...err... SMÉAGOL.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 04:11 PM
Firithlotwen

quote:
Originally posted by shadowy_blue
If you weren't convinced with what they have done, I have no clue whatever or whoever else could convince you with the job that has to be done to bring Gollum to life. I'm sorry for you.

well me neither....... but i know for sure that i didnt like andy's job........ the "they did" part, i didnt say anything about the crew, pj, weta, etc...... i just didnt like andy's acting and i gave my reasons..... this doesnt mean my or your opinions are wrong, they are just different from the others....... so dont feel sorry for me, its a waste of you emotions wink

on the first edit i added this part: the "they did" part, i didnt say anything about the crew, pj, weta, etc...... i just didnt like andy's acting and i gave my reasons

on the second edit i added the reasons for editing :P

Last edited by Firithlotwen on Feb 6th, 2004 at 04:57 PM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 04:50 PM
Firithlotwen is currently offline Click here to Send Firithlotwen a Private Message Find more posts by Firithlotwen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

YEAH big grin Gollum fan here big grin

I think Andy Serkis and the digital thing team did a really amazing job with Gollum, as also Tolkien did in creating him thumb up

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 05:04 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aurora
Princess

Oh and on Andy off the movie: When he is in the makeing of Sean Astin's film on the special features he cracks me up..... I literally cannot stop laughing at him. He is hilarious!

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 05:09 PM
Aurora is currently offline Click here to Send Aurora a Private Message Find more posts by Aurora Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

um...regarding andy serkis...

did anyone see "13 going on 30"?
andy was hilarius in it!!! he was great....

Old Post Apr 25th, 2004 05:52 PM
Smodden is currently offline Click here to Send Smodden a Private Message Find more posts by Smodden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

I saw him in the trailer, and I want to see it just because of him. stick out tongue

Nah..to be honest, I think the movie looks good. smile

Old Post Apr 25th, 2004 05:53 PM
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

it was good....and andy was the best.....he had some of the funniest lines of the movie...

Old Post Apr 25th, 2004 06:00 PM
Smodden is currently offline Click here to Send Smodden a Private Message Find more posts by Smodden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote