Should suicide be legal?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Omega

lil bitchiness
This is really hard one to answer. Presonaly, i think people should be able to commit suicide, especially termanaly ill people who wish no longer to live in the state they are in. People who are in great physical pain that will eventualy lead them to death anyway, i think they should be able to choose. As well as people who depend on machines to live, and choose not to live this way anymore.

There are flaws and faults to this, most deffinitivly, like The Omega said, elderly being pressured into it, or other sick members being pressured by their family because they cant afford to support them or its a too much of a burden for them.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Nothing wrong with suicide. Dr. Kevorkian (sp?) was doing nothing wrong IMO. Well since life is "Yours"...you should have right to do anything you want...but most religions dont aprove the idea of suicide. Actually thinking about it suicide is a sad thing to do. Not the best option... many say "God" gave you life, you should be proud to be who you are...this is very hard topic but good nonetheless (good job Omega)

is there an afterlife...?

kalantiaw
the stigma about suicide is all about morality. it is pointed out that to take ones life is a hell worthy tresspass. i had no idea that it was also illegal. what power does the judicial system has over me that it tells me that i cannot kill myself. what the f*ck? will the judicial system make my life any better by prosecuting me? why not give me the gun and one bullet and let ME judge MYSELF.

however, i would not take my own life unless it will ease my passing. if ever i become a vegetable, or live dependent on a machine, i will specifically point out on my last will and testament to pull the plug. though i wouldn't be able to do it myself, it is my last wish and they should honor it.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
well said^

SilverFighter
Euthanasia is a topic that is highly controversial, and there are no right and wrong answers all the time. It comes down to the situation the patient is going to go through. Euthanasia differs from assisted suicide, in which a patient voluntarily brings about his or her own death with the assistance of another person, typically a physician. In this case, the act is a suicide (intentional self-inflicted death), because the patient actually causes his or her own death. There are laws agains't asistant suicide (I admit not have more in depth about these laws) cases. IMO sometimes is better to think through rather then just to make a quick decision.

lil bitchiness
But if your last wish is honoured by any of your family member, he or she will be prosecuted for a murder.

I think this topic is more on a theme, ''sould it be legal' no is it right not kill yourself. as i said before, i believe it should be legal, however there would be flaws like pressuring person to suicide.

BackFire
No, it shouldn't. Becase it doesn't just affect you and you alone. It affects everyone you know, everyone who cares about you and who you care about. And it's a very selfish act on the part of the one who tried suicide.

Plus, a good 98% of problems causing suicidal thoughts will be healed over time.

I think there should be exceptions though, if you have an uncurable disease that will cause you great pain when it clams your life, then I think assisted suicide with the help of a professional doctor of some sort should be allowed. The other excetption is for very old foks who are in constant pain and people who are in a vegetable state. Other then that, time heals everything, and any pain one may be feeling is just a natural part of life and growing up.

kalantiaw
i don't think it would be suicide if you pressure somebody to suicide. suicide is something that is decided from within the person. the third party involved would definitely be criminaly charged.

i am aware that the topic was centered on "should it be legal", however i was making a point that the judiciary has no control over ones life, to make it better. it is a decision that one should make on their own. if i attempted to kill myself, there should be a pretty good reason for it. if the judicial system can in fact better my life, by all means, do so. but do not prosecute me if i think it would be easier for me to end my misery at this point. it shouldn't have been illegal in the first place.

KidRock
if there gonna sit in there room and cut there throat whos gonna stop em? are the cops gonna bust the door down and stop him/her? i doubt it since most people who commit suicide probley dont tel to many people...i think? lol im not up to par on the subject.

Crash Overload
Suicide should be legal beacuse, THERE DEAD! What are they going to do about it? Put the corps in a cell!? I would seriously laugh at ANYONE who thinks, "I am not going go to kill myself becasue its against the law" DUDE! Your going to be DEAD! They Can't Touch you!

But if you some how manage to fail, well, thast your problem. Its your life, your business.

Personally:

h0ck3yh0rr0r
lol^

h0ck3yh0rr0r
last post was for Kid Rock

Crash Overload
Personally :

h0ck3yh0rr0r
LOL^

Darth Revan
I think people with terminal diseases should be able to choose to end their lives if they want. I've always thought it was unfair that they should have to go through so much suffering for no reason. They're going to die one way or another, and I'd rather die of my own accord than die of cancer or some other painful disease.
However, I do believe that it should be illegal for healthy people to kill themselves. In most cases, it is due to depression which can be helped through therapy or by some other means.
This sounds kind of wierd I know, but I'm saying it anyways. I read about this guy in Newsweek who was a con and would be in jail for the rest of his life. He said that his life depressed him every day--the knowledge that he would never be able to marry, raise a family, and have a good life. Maybe you think I sound stupid for this, but I felt sorry for the guy. I don't think anyone deserves that kind of punishment, no matter what it was they did. So what I'm saying is that whether a criminal gets life in prison or the death penalty should be his choice.

steely balls
I'm on both sides because suicide can be risky an people tend to hurt other people in the process i don't mean emotionally. But the people who commit suicide is in such a terrible state of depression and confusion that it may lead to being very reckless and overwhelmed that they might not even think about what there doing or how their doing it, what ever IT maybe. But on the more humanistic side i don't want to be charged with the committed murder of myself!!! I've already been through enough by then, but i doubt they will give me a trial or anything but shove me in some sort of rehab

Darth Revan
Though I do think it is a little ridiculous that it's illegal--if you DO succeed, what are they going to do to you? And the fact that you can get charges pressed against you for being depressed. It's not your fault, depression is just something that a lot of people go through. So I think it should be illegal, only if they find out that you tried to kill yourself, they should make you go to a therapist or something.

KidRock
completley agreed on the part about teminal disease and letting u die

Peloquin
If you take away my right to choose you take away the expression of my soul. You ask if suicide should be legal, I say if you take away my choice you have killed me already.

That's would be my thoughts on this.

Freedom of choice.

And yes you are free to hurt others just as they are free to stop you. It's not about giving freedom means freedom to harm and create chaos. FFS we don't need to hide from ourself, we do not need protecting, we need freedom and responsibility for choice.

"I respect your opinion, although it brings a tear to my eye." and that's the choice.

xeous
I personally think that it's your life and if you want to end it, go for it. It's none of "their" business what you do as long as it doesn't mess with other people or their rights...

The Omega

finti
is it illegal?

Asami
There's so many grey areas in the law but when it comes to the subject of choosing death, there's suicide or euthanasia: Voluntary, non voluntary, passive and active.

In cases of terminal illness, should people have the right to die if they wanted to? Currently in the UK euthanasia is illegal, but in Amsterdam it isn't, however it would need the agreement of 2 doctors.
For what reason would it be valid to end life?
-Depression?
-Painful terminal illness?
-coma???

Coma patients dont' get to choose whether to live or die, so I thats non-voluntary euthanasia - but do they still have rights? In natural law they would, human rights.

But we live in a legal positivist state (I think) well, a law's a law and we have to obey it otherwise we'd get punished. We're not allowed to take our own life because its against the law.

However, if suicide fails, would living with the punishment make the person want to attempt suicide again??

There should be state punishment for those who violate the law - but only if it harms another person. If its self-harming its a private act, should the law really get involved?

Ok, so smacking the crap out of your child is a private act, but then its a concern so the law does come into domestic violence. Then again its harming another person.

But self harm - the right to privacy?

Like before the 1967 homosexual act, that being the year where it was no longer a legal problem to be a homosexual, it was against the law! Because it was "morally incorrect."
But again, if its not harming another person, is it really the law's business?

Just an example - a few years ago a group of sadist masochists filmed their bedroom acts and the tape got found. It then fell into the hands of the state. These guys then got done for GBH.
However - it was their own private act, something they wanted to do. If there was consent - should the state intervene?

Its hard to say because then if person A asked person B to kill and eat them (that case in Germany) its down as maslaughter, even with consent.

And operations are a risk of causing bodily harm too, but its not illegal. We sign a consent form before the operation takes action.

So many grey areas... Thats my essay for now.

smile

Fire
I think it should be, I never got why it is illegal in the first place

finti
kind of hard to punish someone for committing suicide so I dont think it is illigal, imoral yes not illigal

Fire
in belgium committing suicide is illegal, you sure it is legal in norway finti?

Linkalicious
When did people lose the ability to choose their own destiny? If someone's crazy enough to commit suicide, then let them commit suicide. It's their choice and they should live with it (or should i say die by it.) I just think that suicide shouldn't be done in a messy or public way. Don't jump off a building and splat on the side walk, and don't blow your brains out against a wall.

Ushgarak
How many people talking about this have ever actually tried to commit suicide? And I shall rely on people answering this that these were genuine attempts; not veiled cries for help.

yerssot
imho, it should be legal
if you really want to end your live because of something, it's your choice not the choise of someone else.

Though, those who want to do it should be maken aware that there are people out there who can and will help them AND that some problems may seem as a bad thing at first but given time are rather trivial

Dexx
who cares if it's legal or not.
A suicidal won't think at that, before he kills himself....
How can the law punish him erm...if successful wink

yerssot
it depends, cause most people that say "I'm gonna kill myself" just cry out for attention, so if needed they can obviously be stopped, that and their undertaking failing miserably

those who DO want to commit suicide will in most cases not tell it to others

all imho of course

Asami
I used to wonder what the punishment for a dead person would be.

No funeral? hmm.

mook
i think if you are terminally ill or have some sort of disability meaning that you have no quality of life then you should be able to apply for a 'suicide license' through a law court and if your case is seen to be fair then the state will kill you in a humane way.

people shouldnt be allowed to jump in front of trains etc as this affects other people.

Korri
I think that it should be legal because if you want to die its completely different from ending the life of anthoer who doesnt

i also think that assisted suicide/Uthanasia should be legal because if someone is terminally ill or is in a vegetative state and they feel that the pain is too much and they feel that life just isnt worth living anymore then why should they have to suffer?

Dexx
that is NOT for somebody to decide. erm
...when you are entitled to kill someone

Linkalicious
but what if you're in a vegitative state and can't communicate your desires to the outside world. have you ever heard or seen the music video for "One" by Metallica. This guy gets wrecked by a land mine and he can't talk, hear, see, smell...but i think he can feel. He lost his arms and legs and during the song he cries out for help...but no one can hear him. it's really moving.

rusky
Hey Raz, this isn't exactly the same thing.... oh well..

Killing one's self should be legal IMHO, but there still should be people attempting to stop it...it's just that if someone fails to commit suicide, they shouldn't be punished for it... have they not been punished enough that they have decided to do sunch a terrible act in the first place ?

Linkalicious
people attempting suicide don't get punished like jail terms...they give that to people who assist in the suicide, like Dr. Kevorkian. People who attempt and fail to commit suicide go to a psychiatric hospital...

Asami
Perhaps suicide is seen as a psychotic thing to do because it *just isn't socially acceptable*

§pearhead
I don't know about in other countries, but homicide of any kind in the US is a crime. And I guess the punsishment here is life insucrance agencies are allowed, by allow, to reject files for insurance if it can be proved that the person died of suicide.

Storm
Even if it' s illegal, I doubt people who failed to commit suicide will get prosecuted over here.

Fire
well storm actualy there are several cases of that already happening

§pearhead
How's that gonna help? If I were suicidal and failed to (damn...you'd really have to suck at life to pull that off) I think prosecution would make me worse...

Fire
even if it would be legal,how many ppl would let some die while they are watching, even if it is suicide

§pearhead
That's a completely different aspect of suicide. Whether it's legal or whether or it's ok to watch other people do it, which its not, or different parts of the spectrum.

Storm
The problem is that you don' t always see it coming in the first place. So you don' t watch cause you just don' t know it.

§pearhead
Sorry Storm, but that is WRONG. There are so many signs to look for if you know where and what they are.

yerssot
no, I disagree spearhead

you can find out when someone wants it to be found, if someone doesn't want anyone to know, you won't get it

Storm
Well I' m sorry, but we didn' t notice. None of us did erm

§pearhead
Yers, I've had over two years of health classes dedicated to stupid stuff like that, and while I admit most of the potential signs aren't shown, there are a few giveaways that someone is thinking it, just short of saying "I'm going to commit suicide."

yerssot
classes teach how it should be in theory
in theory communism works too roll eyes (sarcastic)

Storm
If there are signs, then it' s a desperate cry for help. Someone who really has the idea of suicide stuck in his or her head won' t express it.

yerssot
I whole heartly agree with that

Dexx
how do you know....maybe it's harder to kill yourself then it looks....
especially if you're not too determined

yerssot
dexx, it IS easy

and than I'm not even thinking about jumping out windows, running under trains or stuff like that

el_barto
this is a hard subject. I'm not sure about this i think...... yes (people that have problems and realy want to die should be able to for instance people that have been raped or molested) but we all know this whont happen

julibug
I've never heard of anyone in the US being prosecuted after a failed suicide attempt. I know assisted suicide gets the "assistant" charged. Maybe people are prosecuted for failed attempts, but I'm not aware of any instances. In the case of the insurance company not paying on the life insurance, that would be a penalty against whomever was the beneficiary, not the person who committed or attempted suicide. That's a little different.

My husband's cousin attempted several times at suicide, and always had to spend a short time in psychiatric care afterward, but there were never criminal charges. He succeeded about 2 years ago with an obvious drug overdose. I don't think that anyone was really shocked. However, one of my husband's guitar students committed suicide - no one really saw it coming. He hung himself in a closet. Our neighbor also committed suicide after he was caught stealing money. He had never been in trouble with the law before, but had piled up quite a gambling debt. He shot himself in the backyard next door. Two of my son's friends found him the next morning & called the police. It seems that a lot of people I have been acquainted with have decided to end their lives in one way or another unnaturally. In each instance, at least one family member, or someone involved in some way, has had to have counceling or has ended up in really bad shape. The two boys that found my neighber have had a lot of problems. Suicide may seem like the way out to the person in that situation, but it does affect more people than just them. I'm not saying whether it should be "legal" or not, but people should be aware that it's not just about the person committing suicide.

el_barto
.....dontgetitjawdrop

Samas-adian
I agree with Julibug. Suicide affects everybody who is associated with that person. A person who feels that there's nothing to life can be rehabiliated. I know they are cases where the person will kill themselves but its not because therapy didnt work, its because the person who commited suicide, was not commited in helping themselves out. If suicide was made legal, your saying to people, " Hey, if you dont want to make an effort, Kill yourself". I can probably see that the suicide rate will dramitically rise all over the world. We should save lifes, not lose them.

finti
well it is the question of this topic

Fire
suicide is very selfish

venomfan
Im pretty sure the person who kills themself dosent care

Fire
ofc they don't but that doesn't change the fact

venomfan
no i mean about the illegal thing. I think suicide is a pretty ridiculous idea

Fire
I agree still I dont make the laws of my country, if I care enough I should find a party who is willing to change that and vote on them. oh wait there is non because noone gives a damn

venomfan
pretty much. but I never contimplate suicide so it wouldnt effect me either way

babeyx
suicide isnt illegal because otherwise people like kurt cobain wouldve gone to jail dumbass

babeyx
it is selfish my mum killed herself when i was 11

finti
sorry to hear that

The Omega

Syren
With regard to the terminally ill choosing to end their lives, this becomes "Euthanasia", not suicide. Attempting suicide isn't really illegal, I don't think, but you can be put away into prison for your own safety.

Syren
Yeah, this is called "Euthanasia", choosing to end your own life or have it ended for reasons to do with dignity and such. No-one wants to live helplessly and hopelessly, and the choice of whether to live or die should remain the individual's, as long as they are mentally stable enough to make that decision, if not physically. If their mentality is waning, perhaps they should be able to leave the decision with one much trusted member of their family, or a very close friend. But this brings problems when it comes to complete trust. I don't know if this is how it works now, but I hope that, if I ever become terminally ill, or end up a "vegetable", as it were, that I should have the final choice as to which direction, inevitably, my life should take.

yerssot
hmmm, what I think FM perhaps means with suicide being selfish, is that you kill yourself and don't think about what others would feel like when you're gone...

quite frankly, if you want to commit suicide, you don't think for one instant about others, most of the time you think no one will miss you and that you're better off dead

Fire
idd yerss

yerssot
and people say I don't make sense stick out tongue

Fire
hehe well you have those days stick out tongue

(psssst: without his meds)

silver_tears
laughing out loud Since when is it against the law huh

Fire
I dunno about in your country silver but in belgium it is forbidden

silver_tears
I'm not up on all the laws here, but I don't think it is against the law here blink

Fire
good for you

silver_tears
well actually I would never consider it anyways, so it doesn't affect me in the least....

yerssot
it effects people in your country

silver_tears
I know, but he said good for me, and it really isn't

Fire
I think it is

silver_tears
how huh

Fire
well I know this is going to sound crazy, but hey I am one of those rules guys, you are allowed to actualy kill yourself, I know in reality this changes very little, but I'd like to have the right to do it.

yerssot
I stick to my point, if you really want to do it, you succeed and than it doesn't matter if it's legal or not, cause you'll be dead

if you don't succeed, you either had a lot of bad luck (hardly possible if you decently prepare yourself) or you didn't want to die and just needed attention

Fire
ofc you wont care, but still I'd like to have the right to kill myself

yerssot
I never said I won't or don't care, cause imho it should be legal!

Fire
I ment care about it when you'd want to do it

yerssot
....don't follow

Fire
nvm stick out tongue

yerssot
no, do tell, cause it's an important subject

babeyx
exactly you just arent thinking at the time otherwise they just wouldnt do it would they xxxx

yerssot
I don't agree with that, after consideration you still might think that it's the best choice

Fire
most ppl contemplate on it for a long time

babeyx
yeh they do but at that actual time they are more convinced to do it becasue they actually go thru with it xxxx

The Omega

yerssot
mostly because he endangered innocent people, I take?

rusky
In that case, it's okay...it's only normal that people around shouldn't partake in the attempt willingly or not..

Syren
Endangering other people whilst attempting to harm yourself should be seen as a bad thing, therefore illegal, but how far do we take that? What about if someone killed themselves, and someone else killed themselves because of the first person killing themselves, then someone else did the same etc, where would we draw the line? Who gets in trouble and who doesn't? Where does the chain start? It's ridiculous trying to make a ruling over emotions, and psychological actions, near impossible I'd wager.

rusky
It is unfortunate that a ruling has to be made in the first place...it is unfortunate that we have to live in a world where laws are needed to preserve a certain degree of humanity..

babeyx
yes

Syren
laughing

Great input babeyx!!!

And rusky, I agree, it is unfortunate that we feel the need to create rules and regulatons to keep a degree of humanity, but to be perfectly honest, what are we without them? Nothing more than animals. We continue to place ourselves superior to them, yet if we didn't have these laws we'd be on the same level. It's a thought provoking aspect of life.......

Syren
Although animals seem to live their lives quite happily, so I really don't know whether I'd rather be a "superior" form of life!!

Syren
Aha!! Sudden thought.... Lemmings commit suicide, don't they?

rusky
idd.. But even animals have their rules... so they are very similar to us.

IMHO a superior form of life would mean a person that lives by his own morale code, one that is bent on helping both society and individual evolve... something like the borg, without the hive aspect though big grin

rusky
Lemmings ? laughing out loud sure they do...and u'r there in their way wink

Syren
Hmmm, I'm a Cyborg, bent on stopping the eternal dilemma that Lemmings live through every day, suicidal missions!! Of course I'm in their way, that is what makes us humans better, empathy.

DeNiro
After I watched the show WithOut a Trace on Thursday. I say that sucide should deffintly not be legalized. I felt really bad for this one kid on the show and it was just a god damn show. I mean when people comit sucide i mean not only does their life end, ther firends and family are very very depressed that this person did that and would have done ne thing to help out with their problem rather them have them commit sucide. I mean if they dont have any family or friends they still shouldnt do it I mean youve been given the gift of Life and their is nothing this bad in the world that would make you want to kill your self unless you are sick in the head.

But after that show My views on people get picked on sucide and a bunch of other things got changed.

el_barto
well now that i think about it...... is it realy ILEGAL? because its not like they put u in prison they just put u in............. a special place

DeNiro
Well Someowhere in France at one time it was Illleigal to die. Because there was no room to put the bodies i think the familys of the recently desceaed were fined for it i saw this on the show ripleys bealive it or not

Krabs55
I find suicide stuborn..and I have been suicidial before. I think unless you are a vegatable or a disease that you have no chance ..... you shouldn't take your own life b/c think of all the other people u are hurting. I understand why it is illegal but then I must say that is strange. That they can put us in jail for killing ourselfs..even though I think it is stuborn... the whole legal thing is weird. I mean what would they do with you ...if you got proscuted..I mean jail would just make you more suicidial so it really makes not much sense ..just to scare you out of doing which doesn't work that well. Hmmm good question

dave123
it doesnt matter if it is or isn't illegal....

Syren
The Legal System is full of technicalities, this is simply one that is rather more ridiculous than most!!! laughing

saucybird007
Two very good friends of mine committed suicide.

Its definitely a hard one to answer.
But i think its your life so you should do what ever makes you happy, but to also remember how your loved ones feel about you too.
It's not only your life you taking, its parts of other peoples who care about you too.

I want to cry now sad cry

yerssot
sorry to hear that saucy, but you just don't think about anyone else when you commit suicide cause you're focused on yourself at that point

saucybird007
i know sad*cries*

yerssot
it's not much, but I'll virtually hug you if that will make things better

saucybird007
Thanks yers smile your so sweet

yerssot
you deserve it wholeheartly smile

saucybird007
embarrasment thanks babe, you made me blush smile

yerssot
than it was worth it smile

saucybird007
embarrasment

babeyx
I KNOW DONT YOU JUST LOVE IT XXXXXXXXXXXXX

berserk
absolutely not!!!!

sauron
what difference does it make....if you commit suicide your not going to jail are you...

anyway its helping people commit suicide that should be thought abaout...which i think should be legal if the person is like severly wrong in the head or doest have a chance to live a normal life anymore....

eyeadore1979
What the f**k? no... I mean, I've hurt myself before, and I know I will again. But I don't think it should. People should at least think of their family, friends, everything they are leaving. I'm always thinking about suicide, but I know I don't want others to. And I don't want myself to either. It should never ever be legal. Not if it's about taking away a life that might someday be grand. My oninion, anyway whistle

eyeadore1979
Actually, it does make a difference, don't forget the people who fail to kill themselves. They get to the hospital, just in time to be saved. Isn't that the same? confused wink

southside_15
well what i dont get is
if you want to kill yourself
KILL yourself .. dont sugar coat it with pills ..
use a knife or a gun ... ..
ok im done here ..

yerssot
only a trigger-happy american can post something like that roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Omega
Yerssot> laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.