KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Should suicide be legal?

Should suicide be legal?
Started by: The Omega

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Omega
Z10N0101

Should suicide be legal?

This is a touchy subject, I know (and if it’s not allowed, the powers that be may move me to the recycle bin).

In the discussion on whether or not drugs should be legalised, Peloquin brought up this point: What I do with my body is my deal, as long as I don’t harm anyone.
Suicide is illegal. If I attempt it and fail, I may get prosecuted.
Should suicide be legal? Should I be allowed to take my own life, seeing as it is MINE?

Personally: I’m not sure. On one hand, I believe, that if I want to kill myself, it’s my deal. On the other hand, there are things like depressions, where people become suicidal – a state that changes, when they get cured for their state. Elderly may get pressurised into choosing Kavorkian, if their families can’t afford to keep them in care.
Views? Opinions?

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 01:04 AM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

This is really hard one to answer. Presonaly, i think people should be able to commit suicide, especially termanaly ill people who wish no longer to live in the state they are in. People who are in great physical pain that will eventualy lead them to death anyway, i think they should be able to choose. As well as people who depend on machines to live, and choose not to live this way anymore.

There are flaws and faults to this, most deffinitivly, like The Omega said, elderly being pressured into it, or other sick members being pressured by their family because they cant afford to support them or its a too much of a burden for them.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 01:12 AM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Nothing wrong with suicide. Dr. Kevorkian (sp?) was doing nothing wrong IMO. Well since life is "Yours"...you should have right to do anything you want...but most religions dont aprove the idea of suicide. Actually thinking about it suicide is a sad thing to do. Not the best option... many say "God" gave you life, you should be proud to be who you are...this is very hard topic but good nonetheless (good job Omega)

is there an afterlife...?

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 01:16 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

the stigma about suicide is all about morality. it is pointed out that to take ones life is a hell worthy tresspass. i had no idea that it was also illegal. what power does the judicial system has over me that it tells me that i cannot kill myself. what the f*ck? will the judicial system make my life any better by prosecuting me? why not give me the gun and one bullet and let ME judge MYSELF.

however, i would not take my own life unless it will ease my passing. if ever i become a vegetable, or live dependent on a machine, i will specifically point out on my last will and testament to pull the plug. though i wouldn't be able to do it myself, it is my last wish and they should honor it.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 01:42 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

well said^

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 01:44 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Euthanasia is a topic that is highly controversial, and there are no right and wrong answers all the time. It comes down to the situation the patient is going to go through. Euthanasia differs from assisted suicide, in which a patient voluntarily brings about his or her own death with the assistance of another person, typically a physician. In this case, the act is a suicide (intentional self-inflicted death), because the patient actually causes his or her own death. There are laws agains't asistant suicide (I admit not have more in depth about these laws) cases. IMO sometimes is better to think through rather then just to make a quick decision.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 01:49 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

quote:
Originally posted by kalantiaw
the stigma about suicide is all about morality. it is pointed out that to take ones life is a hell worthy tresspass. i had no idea that it was also illegal. what power does the judicial system has over me that it tells me that i cannot kill myself. what the f*ck? will the judicial system make my life any better by prosecuting me? why not give me the gun and one bullet and let ME judge MYSELF.

however, i would not take my own life unless it will ease my passing. if ever i become a vegetable, or live dependent on a machine, i will specifically point out on my last will and testament to pull the plug. though i wouldn't be able to do it myself, it is my last wish and they should honor it.

But if your last wish is honoured by any of your family member, he or she will be prosecuted for a murder.

I think this topic is more on a theme, ''sould it be legal' no is it right not kill yourself. as i said before, i believe it should be legal, however there would be flaws like pressuring person to suicide.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 01:54 AM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

No, it shouldn't. Becase it doesn't just affect you and you alone. It affects everyone you know, everyone who cares about you and who you care about. And it's a very selfish act on the part of the one who tried suicide.

Plus, a good 98% of problems causing suicidal thoughts will be healed over time.

I think there should be exceptions though, if you have an uncurable disease that will cause you great pain when it clams your life, then I think assisted suicide with the help of a professional doctor of some sort should be allowed. The other excetption is for very old foks who are in constant pain and people who are in a vegetable state. Other then that, time heals everything, and any pain one may be feeling is just a natural part of life and growing up.

Last edited by BackFire on Feb 12th, 2004 at 02:01 AM

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 01:58 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

quote:
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
But if your last wish is honoured by any of your family member, he or she will be prosecuted for a murder.

I think this topic is more on a theme, ''sould it be legal' no is it right not kill yourself. as i said before, i believe it should be legal, however there would be flaws like pressuring person to suicide.

i don't think it would be suicide if you pressure somebody to suicide. suicide is something that is decided from within the person. the third party involved would definitely be criminaly charged.

i am aware that the topic was centered on "should it be legal", however i was making a point that the judiciary has no control over ones life, to make it better. it is a decision that one should make on their own. if i attempted to kill myself, there should be a pretty good reason for it. if the judicial system can in fact better my life, by all means, do so. but do not prosecute me if i think it would be easier for me to end my misery at this point. it shouldn't have been illegal in the first place.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 02:05 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

if there gonna sit in there room and cut there throat whos gonna stop em? are the cops gonna bust the door down and stop him/her? i doubt it since most people who commit suicide probley dont tel to many people...i think? lol im not up to par on the subject.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 02:14 AM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

Suicide should be legal beacuse, THERE DEAD! What are they going to do about it? Put the corps in a cell!? I would seriously laugh at ANYONE who thinks, "I am not going go to kill myself becasue its against the law" DUDE! Your going to be DEAD! They Can't Touch you!

But if you some how manage to fail, well, thast your problem. Its your life, your business.

Personally:

Last edited by Koala MeatPie on Feb 12th, 2004 at 02:18 AM

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 02:16 AM
Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

lol^

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 02:18 AM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

last post was for Kid Rock

Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

Personally :

Attachment: justdoit.jpg
This has been downloaded 106 time(s).

Last edited by Koala MeatPie on Feb 12th, 2004 at 02:26 AM

Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

LOL^

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 02:23 AM
Darth Revan
-

I think people with terminal diseases should be able to choose to end their lives if they want. I've always thought it was unfair that they should have to go through so much suffering for no reason. They're going to die one way or another, and I'd rather die of my own accord than die of cancer or some other painful disease.
However, I do believe that it should be illegal for healthy people to kill themselves. In most cases, it is due to depression which can be helped through therapy or by some other means.
This sounds kind of wierd I know, but I'm saying it anyways. I read about this guy in Newsweek who was a con and would be in jail for the rest of his life. He said that his life depressed him every day--the knowledge that he would never be able to marry, raise a family, and have a good life. Maybe you think I sound stupid for this, but I felt sorry for the guy. I don't think anyone deserves that kind of punishment, no matter what it was they did. So what I'm saying is that whether a criminal gets life in prison or the death penalty should be his choice.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 02:30 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steely balls

I'm on both sides because suicide can be risky an people tend to hurt other people in the process i don't mean emotionally. But the people who commit suicide is in such a terrible state of depression and confusion that it may lead to being very reckless and overwhelmed that they might not even think about what there doing or how their doing it, what ever IT maybe. But on the more humanistic side i don't want to be charged with the committed murder of myself!!! I've already been through enough by then, but i doubt they will give me a trial or anything but shove me in some sort of rehab

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 02:33 AM
steely balls is currently offline Click here to Send steely balls a Private Message Find more posts by steely balls Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Though I do think it is a little ridiculous that it's illegal--if you DO succeed, what are they going to do to you? And the fact that you can get charges pressed against you for being depressed. It's not your fault, depression is just something that a lot of people go through. So I think it should be illegal, only if they find out that you tried to kill yourself, they should make you go to a therapist or something.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 02:33 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Revan
I think people with terminal diseases should be able to choose to end their lives if they want. I've always thought it was unfair that they should have to go through so much suffering for no reason. They're going to die one way or another, and I'd rather die of my own accord than die of cancer or some other painful disease.
However, I do believe that it should be illegal for healthy people to kill themselves. In most cases, it is due to depression which can be helped through therapy or by some other means.
This sounds kind of wierd I know, but I'm saying it anyways. I read about this guy in Newsweek who was a con and would be in jail for the rest of his life. He said that his life depressed him every day--the knowledge that he would never be able to marry, raise a family, and have a good life. Maybe you think I sound stupid for this, but I felt sorry for the guy. I don't think anyone deserves that kind of punishment, no matter what it was they did. So what I'm saying is that whether a criminal gets life in prison or the death penalty should be his choice.

completley agreed on the part about teminal disease and letting u die

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 04:23 AM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peloquin
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you take away my right to choose you take away the expression of my soul. You ask if suicide should be legal, I say if you take away my choice you have killed me already.

That's would be my thoughts on this.

Freedom of choice.

And yes you are free to hurt others just as they are free to stop you. It's not about giving freedom means freedom to harm and create chaos. FFS we don't need to hide from ourself, we do not need protecting, we need freedom and responsibility for choice.

"I respect your opinion, although it brings a tear to my eye." and that's the choice.

Chillin out with my little Irish leprechaun, my faithful butler Jeeves and a ukulele playin Hawaiian midget. All is solid in Pel's world.

"Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Kahlil Gibran

Old Post Feb 12th, 2004 04:25 AM
Peloquin is currently offline Click here to Send Peloquin a Private Message Find more posts by Peloquin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote