Hemmingway!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

amity75
I've always meant to read some of his stuff but don't know if I'd like him or not. Is he worth a read? or is he a chauvinistic oaf as I've been told by a few people. What would be the best book to start with?

Corlindel
Hemingway is great. One of my favorites.

For first book I advise you to read "Fiesta" and then "For whom the bell toulls".

I like especially the First Chapter "Bimini" of the book "Islands in the stream" I think this is the english name for "Ilhas na corrente", the portuguese translation, but I am not sure.

HockeyHorror
excellent author

amity75
Cheers for that!

Phoenix
I personally dislike Hemingway's style, but you should definitely read at least one of his works

Kaleanae
I don't know why but I like his novels, The Sun Also Rises is great, I didn't like the bullfighting that much. I also read Farewell to Arms and I really liked.

ToMacco
I'm reading A Farewell to Arms, and I hate it.

manorastroman
his novels aren't worth much, but his short stories can be extremely tasty.

Blue_Hefner
Originally posted by amity75
I've always meant to read some of his stuff but don't know if I'd like him or not. Is he worth a read?

No. A Farewell to Arms is the worst book I've ever read.

MildPossession
I haven't read any of the man's work, but do have Sun Also Rises in my room somewhere, I was told by someone that it's similar in some elements to Fight Club... anyone?

DigiMark007
I dated a girl once who was an ardent feminist and still loved Hemingway. Fun stuff.

You have to like his style. He's very bare, and many of his characters fall into archetypes that become instantly recognizable across his work. But that's not necessarily bad.

My favorite Hemingway: A collection of short stories called In Our Time about WWI (though it never really mentions the war directly). Superb stuff.

Never really got into the novels much...I've read them, but I just don't like them. I think he's a better short story writer. He can do the same thing in 12 pages that he does in 200...and it's a good result, but the short story is the same material without all of the austere "filler". But that's me.

doomsday49
If you hate long winded sentence fill with unnecessary adjectives, if you hate poetic elements in a prose and if you like manly characters being humbled by his surroundings and if you like sad depressing endings...........then Hemingway is for you. Peace.

ragesRemorse
his style doesnt transfer very well to the modern times, but niether does most of the greats. I agree with Phoenix in saying that you should read atleast one of his works. just like kafka

Dr. Zaius
He's definitely chauvanistic. And definitely good. The Sun Also Rises is brilliant. The short-stories are also wonderful.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by manorastroman
his novels aren't worth much, but his short stories can be extremely tasty.

Co-signed. I don't much like the novels, but his short stories are excellent. I personally recommend "In Our Time", a superb collection of short stories surrounding the first World War.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
The Son Also Rises and A Farewell To Arms are two of his best works. Superb reading..

Blue_Hefner
You must be high.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
You must be high.

I read his novels at a very young age and read them once more a few years ago. Once again superb reading.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.