What does Darth Vader actually mean

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
What does Darth Vader actually mean

does anyone know

marshall_vox
Good question. But I have no idea either. Hopefully it will be explained in Episode III.

Altar[1stONE]
Something that has to do with invading or invader, which would make sense to me being a commander of the empire and invading rebel armys.

finti
rumors have it that Vader is dutch for father

Mr.Deflok
Yeah, back in the day I remember Dark (Darth) Father (Vader) being a translation that was thrown around.

yerssot
*wants to thwack finti... realises that's a bad thing to do*

darth is from: DARk lord of the SiTH
but I'm not sure where I got that one from again :s

YES, I can say with 100% certainty that the rumor of Vader being dutch for father is true roll eyes (sarcastic)

deaconbluez
Ahhh...many close answers...."Darth" means "Shadow Warrior" and "Vader", like mentioned, is Dutch for "Father".

rustiswordz
Arise lord Darth Vader,

The name Vader has been chosen from a little know dialect called Dutch on a planet called earth in a galaxy far far away.

Yup that will work when sidious explains the name to Vader in ep3

yerssot
djee, people, do you really need to mention it everytime? I take everyone who visits this section knows by now that vader is dutch for father!

ash007
indeed

i still dont think so about Vader

Ushgarak
Yup, Vader is Dutch for father, though our once resident Dutch man queeq always doubted that this was in any way intentional.

After all, when Vader was named, he was not the father of anyone important.

yerssot
yup, the idea of him being luke's father was around making ESB, if I'm not mistaken?

Ushgarak
Yes. GL may have been toying with the idea beforehand, of course- hard to know- but at the point he invented Vader, Anakin (then spelt Annikin, and surnamed Starkiller) was a completely seperate character in the story, who was eventually written out by the time the film was finished as already dead by Vader's hands.

Which gave GL a neat twist he could use for ESB- by not having used Anakin, he could make him and Vader the same person.

ash007
intresting wink

xeous
That's total luck or total genious.

cornponious
Actually, I heard Vader is Dutch for "father".

smile

kuntry kok

finti
does any one know the Dutch word for morons stick out tongue

yerssot
that would be "idioten" roll eyes (sarcastic)

are you sure corn??? I mean, that Vader being dutch was said only five times messed and only two dutch-speaking members have said it was true

Ushgarak
It could well be luck indeed that this happened. Actually, in the early drafts of the first film, Vader was far more like Maul- a dangerous thug who is killed off at the end.

Vader's graduation to greatest screen villain of all time kind of evolved over the years!

RobBo
There is also a question of pronunciation.

The Dutch word is pronounced "var-der" to rhyme with "father".

The name in question as we know is pronounced "Vay-der"; thus making the father-link even less likely.

yerssot
the dutch, and take my word on this one, pronounce it as "va-der" wink

finti
indeed

finti
and Sidious is Swedish for "Norway is always better"

cornponious
On a side note, does anybody know what the Dutch word "Vader" means?

Just wondering.

kuntrious kokous maximus

yerssot
I think it means "overtly repetative"

Darth Jello
wouldn't be pronounced "fay-ter"? how germanic is dutch?

finti
for Austin Power and Fasser.

Dutch is part of the germanic branch of the indo european language family, or in other words Teutons

yerssot
no, dj, va-der
(the a is a bit different pronunced but that's it)

Lyn
laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing

padme wanna be
I think it means Dark father

Darth Jello
a small thought about darth...
in several countries the family name comes first. In relation to this, wasn't Darth Bane's real name Darth Bane?

In that case only the second name needs an explanation.

Mr.Deflok
I heard somewhere that Vader was Dutch for father.

Darth Jello
and the circle continues

yerssot
yes, some will never learn how to properly READ a darn thing when it's written down already for five times
a pity

Darth Jello
hey! did you know that Vader means father in several germanic languages? isn't that cool? I bet you'd like to hear it again, just so you remember better! so i'll say it again, Vader means father!

little hint, German, Dutch, and other languages may not exist in this form in the SW canon, so the significance of Vader, Tyranus, Maul, and Sidious might be different. However, based on what Obi-wan calls vader in episode IV, and Darth Bane's name, I still think "Darth" is a proper name

yerssot
erm... if you wanna nitpick, the german word for father is Vater, not Vader

Darth Jello
i know

yerssot
just wanted to make clear that Vader is dutch for father

Ushgarak
I think the intention is clearly for Darth to be an honorific, not a name.

Anakin2Vader
You all are right... but not exactly
When Sidious gives Anakin the name Vader he will explain to him that HE (Anakin) is the choosen one... The Father... OF THE FORCE

This is Sidious infalting Anakins head and further making him realize that the Jedi were not being truthful to Anakin and were trying to hold him back making Anakin ripe for the turn to the dark side were he will realize his full power

Putte
No, thats not true, close but not true........ smile change better to lesser, and then use that in all sentences except about oil... stick out tongue

Ahnold
Lucas has confirmed: this will be revealed in Ep 3...

Red Superfly
Vader means "coolest freakin' mofo who is better than superman, spiderman, the hulk and peter griffin put together".

No seriously, it's obvious Lucas didn't have a clue what he was doing.

In a New Hope Vader is constantly reffered to as "Darth". It's his NAME.

In ESB and beyond he is reffered to as "Vader". "Darth" is his TITLE.

So, it is safe to say that Lucas didn't have a clue about what "Vader" meant himself.

Back in those days, wasn't everybody into "space" hype and stuff? "Invaders" from another planet and what not? I just think he he came up with the name "Vader" because it sounded a) cool b) futuristic and c) deadly.

I think it is pure coincidence that Vader means father also in another language.

If Episode 3 explains why he was called Vader, then it's just Lucas making it up as he goes along. Add that to the long list of improv in the Star Wars library such as Midichlorians (I mean, WTF!?), the use of "Darth" in Sith Lord names, and how some Jedi don't dissapear when they die.

He's just making up this stuff as he goes.

beefy
h*tp://dictionaries.travlang.com/DutchEnglish/dict.cgi?query=vader&max=50

Dutch-English On-line Dictionary Search Results
Notes: Searches are case insensitive. You can use a * as a wildcard. Boolean searches are allowed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Result of search for "vader":

vader
1. father

spadesmamma61
Darth Vader.........translation Darth (Major) Vader (Asskicker) there ya go.

Sith Master X
Good analogy. wink

SMX
cool

yerssot
YES it means father in dutch, we got that by the last two pages AND numerous other topics already! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
Yup, please do check threads before you reply...

devilreverse
yo,
GL used the name 'darth vader' because it has many archetypal meanings, fifty of you already mentioned the dutch meaning. there is also supposidly an islamic translation, darth meaning dark, and vader meaning truth. Dark Truth. if you prefer the dutch thing, mix em up, dark father. either way lucas wins because it means many things to MANY different people without them knowing it. in ep3 he will probably tell us something totally different, like its a sith title or something, of course he didn't even have the word sith in the OT, so all bets are off.....

ahgoiihjhhhhhhhadogjihhhhhh......... look behind you.....

cornponious
I still say Vader means "father".

big grin

corn

NoMeN
the german word for father is VATER. you see? VATER and VADER.
VADER is LUKEs FATHER!

Ushgarak
Seriously... it didn't mean ANYTHING, guys... people read far too much into this thing.

Creechuur
Man, this is as bad as the 'Lightsabers and water" thread.

I recently read about a guy who visited a small foreign country and the locals there told him his name translated into "enormous penis" in their native language. Hilarity ensued, of course. The stupid article didnt give the name or languages involved though.

I don't remember Vader being referred to as "Darth" in ANH. "Darth" sounds too much like "Garth", which reminds me of country music, which makes me upset. Darth is not a good first name.

Sacrifise666
there will be a scene were vader gets his name after he's put in the armor.

yerssot
really? you mean... what I said IN THIS THREAD ALREADY is STILL true??? wow no expression

peluffo
huh

-"Only a master of evil, Darth"

Man, have you seen the OT?

Creechuur
Scuse me dude...I just don't remember that part, mr. pickypants.

Darth KickAss
Oh goody! Let me confuse ourselfs some more...

Vader could be Afrikaans for Father. Afrikaans is based on dutch but you don't need to know that.

My Opinion:
Vader has nothing to do with father. Maybe it is more like Fader, Chicken out, Lame Ass?

If they say Vader in Father in Ep 3 - then they just made it up.

Maby Vader is like a rank?
Dath Vader
Darth Tyranus
Darth Maul

yerssot
would you PLEASE read the entire thread? it's said NUMEROUS times that Vader is dutch for father, we KNOW that

and YES, Vader is also Afrikaans for father

djee, the thread is only 3 pages long, it doesn't take time to read it all!

Darth KickAss
Did you know that Vader is dutch for father!...Better leave now before i get shot or something...

yerssot
are you sure it means father? eek! I was always under the impression it meant "overtly repetitive"

cornponious
No, Yers, he's right. It actually DOES mean father.

What does "overtly repetitive" mean?

whistle

corn

Ushgarak
I believe DKA was being a tiny tiny bit flippant there, yers...

Cyclops
Does Vader mean Father in Dutch? laughing

Sorry, but I had to put that. laughing

Yerssot.... laughing
All I have to do is read any one of your posts and I laugh. laughing

yerssot
I aim to hit

Creechuur
I hope this thread stays open a few more days. I don't think we have sufficiently covered beyond a shadow of a doubt what exactly the word 'darth' means in Dutch. And now I'm hearing all this Africaaneeze stuff, I think we should discuss this some more.

I'll go ask my good friend superShallow, he'll know for sure.

cornponious
NO! Don't ask SS. He'll say something completely stupid, like "Darth means Father" or some shiznit like that.

Only a lame-oid would think Darth means Father.

corn

VengeanceGOD
*walks into the thread*

Hey, I think Vader is Dutch for Father.

*runs away, chased by screaming natives*

yerssot
off with his head!

Dimidri
well Vader may be dutch for father, but I don't believe that this is what george lucas was thinking about when he gave the name to the dark lord, cause I heared that the idea of vader being luke's father came during the work on the script of the empire strikes back when episode 4 was already released.

yerssot
oh look, sitll someone who isn't convinced it is eek! lets keep saying it does mean father confused

VengeanceGOD
It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father! It means father!

cornponious
Say again?

corn

yerssot
I don't know corn, I think VG wants to say that Vader means sister?

peluffo
Vader means Father literally or is some kind of representation? big grin :P

Just helping to get yerss insane. Well, that is already done messed

yerssot
decades to late with that pel stick out tongue

Sith Master X
As I've heard it, Sidious will explain the meaning of Vader in Episode 3 (obviously) Perhaps it does mean father in another language, but Sidious appears to be shortened from the word "Insidious" Maybe Vader will be shortened for "Invader"?

SMX
cool

Sacrifise666
have you noticed i dont know if this matters but. luke always says father and not vader.

i dont know if its just coinsidence or if there trying to hint that vader means father.

maybe this is why he's called vader because he is a sith and has children?

yerssot
he says so in ROTJ... it's that he accepted that once Vader was Anakin, his father, he says so in the movie

Darth_Greg
I just checked with a very reputable SW fan site. Turns out Darth is dutch for father and Vader is actually an alien word meaning Christmas.
Yes, Darth Vader is Santa Clause.
No!!!!!!!!! That's not true, that's impossible. I sent my letters to the North Pole not Tatooine. Anakin's pod racer was a crude form of his sleigh and that farting beast in EP1 is actually a reindeer.

yerssot
quick! to the reindeers! *yawns*

Anthony4pres
With the exception of Darth Maul, 'DARTH' means "IN". IN-VADER. IN-SIDIUS. There are other Darth's not mentioned too. Darth Convenient. Darth Trusion. Darth FraR'ed. And the worst of them all... Darth Grown Hair.

Seriously... don't read too much into the whole Star Wars thing. I'm fairly confident that George Lucas didn't have a whole lot going on upstairs when he came up with this stuff. Most of it is just ripped off mythology anyway.

Sith Master X
Wow....talk about a 6 year gap here. lol

overlord
I'll just state again that vader was just a side character in the original drafts of the SW script

guess lucas liked his name, so he created darth

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Anthony4pres
With the exception of Darth Maul, 'DARTH' means "IN". IN-VADER. IN-SIDIUS. There are other Darth's not mentioned too. Darth Convenient. Darth Trusion. Darth FraR'ed. And the worst of them all... Darth Grown Hair.

Seriously... don't read too much into the whole Star Wars thing. I'm fairly confident that George Lucas didn't have a whole lot going on upstairs when he came up with this stuff. Most of it is just ripped off mythology anyway.

In-Plagueis?

So except for two of them, it so happens that... the other two can have 'in' in front of them.

Right... not quite a rule, I think.

queeq
In-Maul???? Guess the red dude likes shopping a lot.

General G
laughing out loud
Think he got a good deal on his horns?

In-Tyranus? Seems like this shouldn't have been said in the first place.

queeq
Sounds like an ad for an SM night club.

General G
And not a particularly good one at that.

queeq
I wouldn't know...

overlord
in the house

queeq
Errr .. yeah.

General G
Better not be my house. Just cleaned the place from last time.

queeq
That was you?

General G
Odds are high, yes.

queeq
Indeed.

General G
Is there a complaint?

queeq
Always.

General G
In regards to?

queeq
Everything.

General G
Well aren't you a downer.

queeq
Happy Dance

General G
It's depressing just watching you.

queeq
I know. Happy Dance

sweersa
Wow overlord how long has it been?

overlord
years

queeq
And now back in the ranks of KMC.

overlord
yes big grin

sweersa
Well welcome back, I missed you more than all the the others that vanished.

queeq
Awwwe.... how sweet.

overlord
Originally posted by sweersa
Well welcome back, I missed you more than all the the others that vanished. I know you missed me

but I was a real jerk to you, remember

using multiple accounts to harrass the shit out of you :P

sweersa
Originally posted by overlord
I know you missed me

but I was a real jerk to you, remember

using multiple accounts to harrass the shit out of you :P

Of course, but I think we all had fun and I knew deep down you didn't want me dead. :-P

overlord
true smile

queeq
More love in the air.... When's the wedding?

overlord
I'm married to god already

queeq
We are?

super pr*xy
i don't think anyone has mentioned, but i think vader is dutch for father..

Sith Master X
It is. But I don't think that had anything to do with Lucas' selection of the name.

At the time of ANH, I doubt Lucas himself even knew he was going to make Vader Luke's father in ESB.

queeq
Correct.

Yakisan
I'm pretty sure 'Darth' is just a millitant surname like 'Colonel Sanders' or 'Capitain Kirk', to show that he is a ranking sith.... 'Vader' coincidence or not the word might mean 'Father' in Dutch, but 'Darth Vader' doesn't seem very Dutch to me... Sounded more like an overweight american with a smoking problem....

queeq
laughing out loud

Jack Daniels
you talkin about that wrestling dude?

sweersa
Originally posted by Yakisan
I'm pretty sure 'Darth' is just a millitant surname like 'Colonel Sanders' or 'Capitain Kirk', to show that he is a ranking sith.... 'Vader' coincidence or not the word might mean 'Father' in Dutch, but 'Darth Vader' doesn't seem very Dutch to me... Sounded more like an overweight american with a smoking problem....

Us Americans and our overweightedness.

queeq
THem too.

DIE_PoTaTo
The name Darth is derived from the Coptic Egyptian word Ugderarth meaning 'the nether region' and Vader from the Latin Vadore meaning 'putty' or 'conglomeration of pasty substance'. Put them together n u get 'Butt Putty' or 'genital conglomeration of goo'! That's what Darth Vader means!

Vensai
I heard the name was taken from the word invader, just like how Sidious comes from insidious.

Kickballjedi
Originally posted by devilreverse
yo,
in ep3 he will probably tell us something totally different, like its a sith title or something, of course he didn't even have the word sith in the OT, so all bets are off.....

The name Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith is originally mentioned in the book Star Wars written by George Lucas at the same time as the movie. I would consider that canon, but some may not.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.