Read first or Watch?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Batman316
When the AOTC book came out some time before the movie I couldn't help but read it. I guess because of this I expected a lot more from the movie when I saw it (Yoda's fight was a LOT longer in the book). Not that I didn't enjoy the movie but personally I think the book was much better.

So now come ROTS and my question

GL made TPM and AOTC for the sole reason of making this movie and giving us what we always wanted to see. The duel some of us have been waiting nearly thirty years for. So would reading the book first spoil the movie? Would the movie be less enjoyable if you already knew what was going to happen?

Just wondering how the rest of you felt. Who will read it before seeing it?

Sith Master X
Nope, definitely gonna see it first for me. I get the best effect out of that I guess, cause then you can see everything come together where it matters for myself, and that is on the big screen.

moonwalker741
im going read it first, so much more happens in the scenes then in the movie, more description, you know ? i did it for AOTC, and i didnt care, but its like me reading spoilers, it has the same effect on me, i dont care.

Jedi Priestess
WATCH WATCH WATCH

PVS
i dunno about reading it.
its like you said, some of us have been waiting a loooooooooooong time to see the "main event", so i dont think it would make sense to read it first. resist!!! besides, what if the book duel DOES turn out to be better? then you will be in the theater yawning while everyone else is going "oooooooooooh aaaaaaaaaaah whooooooooa!!"

moonwalker741
i like knowing stuff before it happens, its not liek im going to be elbo'ing my friend or a stranger sitting next to me sayin "OOH! this is the best part" or "DuDe check this out!!".......but i like reading the book before he movie..but thats m..so whatever,

PVS
LOL moon, i think you would be lynched if you did that! big grin

moon:"oooh this is the part where mace dies"

everyone: (grabbing torches and pitchforks) GET HIM!!!!

Jedi Priestess
hysterical

moonwalker741
laughing laughing laughing out loud

darktim1
I read in my starwars insider that yoda will have accouple of fight scenes in episode3 don't know who he will be fighting for now may force be with you. loved yoda fight in episode2.

Sith Master X
Oh yeah me too. That Yoda fight in Episode 2 had to be the greatest duel of the Saga as of this moment. A little to quick though. sad

Anakin2Vader
In my opinion the Yoda v Dooku duel was the second worst star wars duel of all time just behind Dooku v Anakin

The Yoda duel held a certain power casue Yoda finally fought but it was too short and there are also times where Dooku's actions dont match Yoda's ( Yoda first jump around Dooku dosnt react and keeps swinging in front of him, thing like that should not make the final cut of a 100 million dollar plus movie) The reason why I hate the Anakin v Dooku duel is because of anikins terrible fighting style, If someone turns there back so blatently without it being an aggressive move they would be killed, and the way the end happens where Anakins just stand there for 3 seconds with his arms out to the side waiting to be beaten. But all opinions are welcome.
1. Luke v Vader Ep 5
2. Luke v Vader Ep 6
3. Maul v Obi & Qui
4. Obi v Vader Ep 4
5. Obi v Dooku Ep 2
6. Yoda v Dooku Ep 2
7. Anakin v Dooku Ep 2

Sith Master X
Hmm...I just liked the whole climax of that scene. I love how the camera panned around Yoda while he stared Dooku down with that "Lets rock" expression. You are right though about those few times, there are some quick instances of Dooku's action not matching Yoda's.

moonwalker741
i agree yes smile

i thought he yoda duel was awful, even worse then anikan and dookus! at some part of the ani and dooku duel, when they used the glow rods to get the red and blue light, and they just focus on there faces! they just took a shot of hayden or dooku swinging there lightsabers and rotoscoped the opposing lightsaber....its stupid, and yes, anikan does stand still for about 3 or 2 seconds with his arm to the side allowing dooku to slice his arm, stupid...stupid...stupid

Creechuur
I read the Ep 1 and 2 novels first, and I'll read Ep 3 before it comes out too. The story is just as good on paper as on film to me, and that last month or so of waiting is all the juicier because I know for sure what to expect.

It does suck when some of the good parts in the book don't end up on film though. I think it wouldve been cool as hell to see Ep1 open with little ani (losing!) in a pod race, then shifting to the Jedi on the TF ship.

moonwalker741
yes big grin

Gangularis
LOL! That was great.. how old are you again??

Ushgarak
Definitely watch.

And swordfights are very often lost on mistakes. It is an exaggeration to say Anakin left his arm there for three seconds but he did make an error that left a side vulnerable.

guiro72
i love the original trilogy duels, i guess mainly for nostalgic reasons, and i liked the dooku anakin duel because it reminded me of them....i do get some kind of a feeling in the bit after the lights go down, and this is rare for the prequels for me....

i have to put in a vote though for the obiwan vs. maul fight....not the 2 on 1 section, but just the bit after quigon dies....and remember this is an original trilogy purist saying this, but in a lot of ways i think it might just be the best duel in the whole series.....

i've just mentioned in another thread that the yoda dooku duel still strikes me as a gimmick....not being a smart**s here, that's just my genuine reaction to it....though it's quite well done, and i don't hate it....and i do chuckle at how corny it is when yoda poses at the start, i'd rather not have those kind of chuckles in a star wars film, but a laughs not a bad thing at any rate....

i think the duel in ep III is going to be amazing, seeing the shots i've seen (some of the looks on anakin's face), it's gonna be intense and emotional, and the prequels need all of that they can get....i'm so blase(sp?) about all this now, but what i've seen so far is starting to get me hyped....

and to get back on topic, definitely watch first....i wasn't even going to read spoilers for this one, but now i know half the goddamn movie....it wasn't my fault....it was an accident....curse my weak will....

Ushgarak
Indeed. I am surprised by those who think it is as good on paper as on film. Unlike Lord of the Rings, Star Wars is a story that was CREATED for film. I believe the visual element is essential for the proper appreciation of what GL is trying to do- like it or loathe it, of course.

yerssot
the book probably won't get released over here till 2012, so I'll go for watch

guiro72
the strength of the star wars films has always been about iconic visual moments for me......if they'd never made the films, and it was just a book, i've got a feeling it would strike me as a very stupid book....

for aotc, i downloaded the script, but refused to read it....it was sitting on my harddrive for about 2 weeks unread....i'd sent it to a friend, and he says "have you read the script yet? i have".....that pushed me over the edge, and i read it....it was an enjoyable read, but a terrible mistake....i ruined the film for myself, and have never really enjoyed it properly since.....

perversely, i knew almost nothing about tpm when i first saw it, and even now, though i know aotc is a far superior film, i just don't enjoy it as much.....

weird, huh?.....

PVS
i want to add more about the good and bad duels, because i think
its a topic well worth discussing. but so not to move this off topic i guess ill start a thread on it...but where to post it...i guess since the topic encompasses the whole saga ill put it on the ep3, since there is no "eps. 1-6 forum" right?

Dou

Indy_Knight
I will watch the film before reading the book for sure. When ATOC book was released I got it and spent the rest of the day reading it. Wont be doing that again.

wolfdraven
9 out of 10 times when I read the book of the film the book is usually better. In TPM book Maul had a whole lot more of dialogue but when the film came out he had only like 3 or 4 lines. So I definitely favor to read read the book before seeing the film.

Indy_Knight
The author of these books gets the full scipt before it is cut down to the film we see at the Cinema. Buy a graphic novel and it's all there, all the cut stuff in comic book glory. Same when you buy the Art of Books, or Screenplays.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.