KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Read first or Watch?

Read first or Watch?
Started by: Batman316

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Batman316
The True Batman

Read first or Watch?

When the AOTC book came out some time before the movie I couldn't help but read it. I guess because of this I expected a lot more from the movie when I saw it (Yoda's fight was a LOT longer in the book). Not that I didn't enjoy the movie but personally I think the book was much better.

So now come ROTS and my question

GL made TPM and AOTC for the sole reason of making this movie and giving us what we always wanted to see. The duel some of us have been waiting nearly thirty years for. So would reading the book first spoil the movie? Would the movie be less enjoyable if you already knew what was going to happen?

Just wondering how the rest of you felt. Who will read it before seeing it?

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 02:46 AM
Click here to Send Batman316 a Private Message Find more posts by Batman316 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Nope, definitely gonna see it first for me. I get the best effect out of that I guess, cause then you can see everything come together where it matters for myself, and that is on the big screen.

I like George.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 02:47 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moonwalker741
1039-Smoothed

im going read it first, so much more happens in the scenes then in the movie, more description, you know ? i did it for AOTC, and i didnt care, but its like me reading spoilers, it has the same effect on me, i dont care.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 03:10 AM
Click here to Send moonwalker741 a Private Message Find more posts by moonwalker741 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

WATCH WATCH WATCH

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 03:12 AM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

i dunno about reading it.
its like you said, some of us have been waiting a loooooooooooong time to see the "main event", so i dont think it would make sense to read it first. resist!!! besides, what if the book duel DOES turn out to be better? then you will be in the theater yawning while everyone else is going "oooooooooooh aaaaaaaaaaah whooooooooa!!"

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 03:15 AM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moonwalker741
1039-Smoothed

i like knowing stuff before it happens, its not liek im going to be elbo'ing my friend or a stranger sitting next to me sayin "OOH! this is the best part" or "DuDe check this out!!".......but i like reading the book before he movie..but thats m..so whatever,

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 03:23 AM
Click here to Send moonwalker741 a Private Message Find more posts by moonwalker741 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

LOL moon, i think you would be lynched if you did that! big grin

moon:"oooh this is the part where mace dies"

everyone: (grabbing torches and pitchforks) GET HIM!!!!

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 03:27 AM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 03:28 AM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moonwalker741
1039-Smoothed

quote:
Originally posted by PVS

laughing laughing laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 03:51 AM
darktim1

I read in my starwars insider that yoda will have accouple of fight scenes in episode3 don't know who he will be fighting for now may force be with you. loved yoda fight in episode2.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 03:52 AM
Click here to Send darktim1 a Private Message Find more posts by darktim1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Oh yeah me too. That Yoda fight in Episode 2 had to be the greatest duel of the Saga as of this moment. A little to quick though. sad

I like George.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 03:56 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Anakin2Vader

In my opinion the Yoda v Dooku duel was the second worst star wars duel of all time just behind Dooku v Anakin

The Yoda duel held a certain power casue Yoda finally fought but it was too short and there are also times where Dooku's actions dont match Yoda's ( Yoda first jump around Dooku dosnt react and keeps swinging in front of him, thing like that should not make the final cut of a 100 million dollar plus movie) The reason why I hate the Anakin v Dooku duel is because of anikins terrible fighting style, If someone turns there back so blatently without it being an aggressive move they would be killed, and the way the end happens where Anakins just stand there for 3 seconds with his arms out to the side waiting to be beaten. But all opinions are welcome.
1. Luke v Vader Ep 5
2. Luke v Vader Ep 6
3. Maul v Obi & Qui
4. Obi v Vader Ep 4
5. Obi v Dooku Ep 2
6. Yoda v Dooku Ep 2
7. Anakin v Dooku Ep 2

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 04:26 AM
Click here to Send Anakin2Vader a Private Message Find more posts by Anakin2Vader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Hmm...I just liked the whole climax of that scene. I love how the camera panned around Yoda while he stared Dooku down with that "Lets rock" expression. You are right though about those few times, there are some quick instances of Dooku's action not matching Yoda's.

I like George.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 04:33 AM
moonwalker741
1039-Smoothed

quote:
Originally posted by Anakin2Vader
In my opinion the Yoda v Dooku duel was the second worst star wars duel of all time just behind Dooku v Anakin

The Yoda duel held a certain power casue Yoda finally fought but it was too short and there are also times where Dooku's actions dont match Yoda's ( Yoda first jump around Dooku dosnt react and keeps swinging in front of him, thing like that should not make the final cut of a 100 million dollar plus movie) The reason why I hate the Anakin v Dooku duel is because of anikins terrible fighting style, If someone turns there back so blatently without it being an aggressive move they would be killed, and the way the end happens where Anakins just stand there for 3 seconds with his arms out to the side waiting to be beaten. But all opinions are welcome.

i agree yes smile

i thought he yoda duel was awful, even worse then anikan and dookus! at some part of the ani and dooku duel, when they used the glow rods to get the red and blue light, and they just focus on there faces! they just took a shot of hayden or dooku swinging there lightsabers and rotoscoped the opposing lightsaber....its stupid, and yes, anikan does stand still for about 3 or 2 seconds with his arm to the side allowing dooku to slice his arm, stupid...stupid...stupid

Last edited by moonwalker741 on Aug 10th, 2004 at 05:04 AM

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 05:01 AM
Creechuur
Ish Disturber

I read the Ep 1 and 2 novels first, and I'll read Ep 3 before it comes out too. The story is just as good on paper as on film to me, and that last month or so of waiting is all the juicier because I know for sure what to expect.

It does suck when some of the good parts in the book don't end up on film though. I think it wouldve been cool as hell to see Ep1 open with little ani (losing!) in a pod race, then shifting to the Jedi on the TF ship.

"Did Braveheart run away? Did Payback run away?"

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 05:14 AM
Click here to Send Creechuur a Private Message Find more posts by Creechuur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moonwalker741
1039-Smoothed

quote:
Originally posted by Creechuur
The story is just as good on paper as on film to me

yes big grin

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 05:20 AM
Gangularis

quote:
Originally posted by PVS

LOL! That was great.. how old are you again??

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 07:53 AM
Click here to Send Gangularis a Private Message Find more posts by Gangularis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Definitely watch.

And swordfights are very often lost on mistakes. It is an exaggeration to say Anakin left his arm there for three seconds but he did make an error that left a side vulnerable.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Aug 10th, 2004 at 10:44 AM

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 08:57 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
guiro72

i love the original trilogy duels, i guess mainly for nostalgic reasons, and i liked the dooku anakin duel because it reminded me of them....i do get some kind of a feeling in the bit after the lights go down, and this is rare for the prequels for me....

i have to put in a vote though for the obiwan vs. maul fight....not the 2 on 1 section, but just the bit after quigon dies....and remember this is an original trilogy purist saying this, but in a lot of ways i think it might just be the best duel in the whole series.....

i've just mentioned in another thread that the yoda dooku duel still strikes me as a gimmick....not being a smart**s here, that's just my genuine reaction to it....though it's quite well done, and i don't hate it....and i do chuckle at how corny it is when yoda poses at the start, i'd rather not have those kind of chuckles in a star wars film, but a laughs not a bad thing at any rate....

i think the duel in ep III is going to be amazing, seeing the shots i've seen (some of the looks on anakin's face), it's gonna be intense and emotional, and the prequels need all of that they can get....i'm so blase(sp?) about all this now, but what i've seen so far is starting to get me hyped....

and to get back on topic, definitely watch first....i wasn't even going to read spoilers for this one, but now i know half the goddamn movie....it wasn't my fault....it was an accident....curse my weak will....

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 10:34 AM
Click here to Send guiro72 a Private Message Find more posts by guiro72 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Indeed. I am surprised by those who think it is as good on paper as on film. Unlike Lord of the Rings, Star Wars is a story that was CREATED for film. I believe the visual element is essential for the proper appreciation of what GL is trying to do- like it or loathe it, of course.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 10:45 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote