Need Cure

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

luhar
Anyone heard of glossophobia or it's cure

Clovie
i haevne't heard about it.
what's that?

Papaumau
Glossophobia.....

Or the fear of public speaking....is only restricted by three things:

1). Lack of self-confidence.

2). Lack of knowledge in the subject.

And....

3). Lack of basic ability to speak reasonable English, ( if that is your first language of course ).

Overcome these three things and the rest is just practice !

I know...I was that soldier !

Clovie
i have point 1 and 3 but english is not my 1st language erm

Papaumau
Hi again Clovie....

As you don't give your general location in your ID I can only guess that you are from one of the European countries that have English as their second or third langauge....

This does not really matter as most of the young-folk in Europe now, ( to our shame in Britain ), speak English as well or better than we do.

Most of you could speak in public with your second language as a tool but if you want to get good at public speaking you are better to do it in your home tongue. ( unless...of course...you are a Polyglot.... big grin ).

I speak a little German but I could not lecture in it.

Clovie
Hi smile
i'm from poland, english second language, german thrid and i'm going to start learning spanish next year.

Dexx
hmm...i doubt i'd go as far as to call my self glossophobic. but i DO hate to be in the centre of attention (in large crowds, that is). don't kw about that language thing. english isn't my first. i'm romanian. but i think i could handle in giving a speech in english

yerssot
sounds like my exams

Edit: fixed code

Dexx
yes..i'm definitely examophobic, too

Clovie
what code?

and you'll do great on you'r exams smile

yerssot
I deleted some code when I got rid of the rest of the text while quoting messed

Clovie
okay messed

Papaumau
I have noticed that thingie on other forums too....

When people have made a mistake and they didn't notice it in their preview or they didn't do a preview at all and the mistake only shows up when it has gone to the forum they invariably give reasons for why they needed to edit their stuff....WHY ?

I do know that some people were in the habit of doing silly edits to bump their posting to the top of the forum but as there is a time-restricted editing policy here that shouldn't happen much.

I mean... as my eyesight is not as good as it used to be and I have already mucked up some frames by raising the fontsize I sometimes need to edit typos and spelling mistakes. Why should I not and why should I have to explain why I did the edit at all ?

Any advice please ?

Kaleanae
Practice, practice, practice, believe me, it works

ragesRemorse
Paps, you are the man, man.

Phoenix
My trick for public-speaking - pretend no-one else is there but yourself, its just another rehearsal. Works everytime!

And to make sure you can't see anyone ((cos that would tend to crack the fantasy of you being on your own)) look at a point right at the top of the far wall ((if inside)) or at a distant tree/building if outside. Then, you can't see anyone AND your head is up so you have better projection! wink

§pearhead
I hate giving speeches. I'm not glossophobic--I'm just no good at it messed

ladygrim
i lack in confidence quite abit ..... but doing things gradually helps.....

silver_tears
I love public speaking droolio and do alot of it in my english classes erm

HockeyHorror
i also like public speaking...but last year my teacher hated me for using toooooo many references to other things in my class presentations/speeches...

no expression

bardock
i like speeches but ones were you can make it your own.my teacher last year had way to many rules and crap so it was no fon

yerssot
never ever under any circumstances picture your audience in their underwear cause there was this time I did this and this guy was wearing a bra sick

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.