Star Wars Sequels

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Malik
Has Any one seen imdb or theforce.net today. There's a post on theforce stating that all employes of ILM have been asked to sign a non-disclossure agreement form regarding episodes 7,8 & 9

Obviously can't be sure how worthy the source is but it's intresting

NoMeN
well, one thing is for sure, there will be more after episode 3. :-)
if 7,8,9 are ever made, i doubt GL will take part on them. i guess he would just write the script and let others do the job. he is too old stick out tongue

NoMeN
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lucasfilm Denies SW Sequel Rumors
Wed, Aug 25, 04 04:26:22 AM EDT

YourMom01 points us to Digital Spy for some interesting tidbits about the rumors surrounding the sequel trilogy:
Lucasfilm recently denied plans to film more films in the Star Wars franchise, and George Lucas himself has always denied such plans. Perhaps the agreements allegedly signed by the effects company see the beginning of a change of policy.
EOnline has a great story on the subject today as well. Here's a clip - head there for the complete story!
But the franchise lay dormant the rest of the decade--the closest Lucas came to doing a sequel was green-lighting a series of best-selling books by sci-fi author Timothy Zahn in the early '90s.
Things were looking grim until 1997, when Lucas revived interest in the space opera with spiffed-up versions of the original trilogy--1977's Star Wars (now rechristened Star Wars: Episode IV--A New Hope), 1980's The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars: Episode V--The Empire Strikes Back), and 1983's Return of the Jedi (Star Wars: Episode VI--Return of the Jedi).

Following those successful rereleases, Lucas went to work on the prequels. But in a 1998 interview with Vanity Fair, the writer-director denied ever having any plans to make nine Star Wars movies.

"When you see it in six parts, you'll understand," Lucas said at the time. "It really ends at part six."

Star Wars: Episode I--The Phantom Menace came out in 1999 and Star Wars: Episode II--Attack of the Clones followed in 2002. While both films took a critical drubbing, they more than made up for it at the box office, earning a more than $1.5 billion combined worldwide.

Lucas plans on issuing a four-disc DVD box set of the original trilogy on Sept. 21 followed by the last prequel (or sixth Star Wars movie, depending on how you count 'em), Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith, is scheduled to open theatrically on May 19, 2005. And that will be it.

Unless you believe the rumors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darth Malik
I still think he will do it, even if it is just for the money. He must know that we will all carry on going to watch them no matter how many he makes. And the money he makes out of them has surely got to be a huge incentive.

NoMeN
money? wtf? he is rich and old! he doesnt need more money! he just wants to die in peace.

Darth Malik
Come off it, Everybody with money always wants more. I'm pretty sure his not just sitting around waiting to die going oh yes now I have made six star wars films I can finally die in peace knowing that my life is complete.

NoMeN
well, he waited more than 20 years to make the PT. i would really love to see sequels, but i sadly doubt it will ever happen. sad

Darth Malik
True, But it's still nice to hope that one day we will see them. Looks like we are just gonna be stuck with EU then.

NoMeN
yep, its nice to hope smile as i said, I would really really love to see more movies.

yerssot
don't count on it ... for the time being

Darth Malik
But there's always hope.

nigeyo2000
I agree

someone will make them !!

doesnt luke turn to the darkside in 8 or 9 ?

Gangularis
bah! stupid luke!

didn't you learn anything from that whole ordeal with your father??

Darth Malik
Kids, they just don't learn do they. Like father like son.

Darth_Duffy
he wouldnt have turned to the dark side in a lucas vision of the star wars sequels, all this EU stuff just confuses people

Darth Malik
What would have happened then? anyone know or heard what lucas's original vision for EP 7,8 & 9 were?

Jedi Priestess
oh GOD!!!!!!!! This has been discussed to DEATH!!!!! And it has been CONFIRMED that LUCAS WILL NOT BE DOING EP7, 8 & 9!! Star Wars is the story of ANAKIN PERIOD. It's over after ROTJ. I swear peeps see one little thing rumouring the continuing the movies and the fanboys all have a wet dream. messed Why cant this topic simply DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. hang giljotiini spam_laser

PVS
so JP, do you think there will be sequel films?
sorry to ask again, but your last answer wasn't clear enough stick out tongue

...remember...don't mince words

Jedi Priestess
sorry PVS old buddy, but since this very topic has been talked about so many times I think people posting such a topic should know by now what the reaction of the Priestess is going to be. It's one of the few things that leads to nuclear fission in my brain. wink In fact if memory serves me I promised to kill the next person bringing it up......now where are my Sith accomplices? laughing out loud a few examples of this topics refusal to die.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f5/t25300.html

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25300&highlight=Episodes+7+8+%26+9

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9986&highlight=Episodes+7+8+%26+9

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=514&highlight=Episodes+7+8+%26+9

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2243&highlight=Episodes+7+8+%26+9

Darth Malik
OK JP you say it has been confirmed that Lucas will not make any more star wars movies, but i'm sure the man can change his mind. It was just three years ago it was confirmed that there would now not be an AVP movie, and wern't we all expecting the new superman movie about three years ago. So I say things change and remember before tpm Lucas said he would never consider doing a TV series of star wars, Yet now his company is looking into the possibility and that is a FACT.

PVS
seriously though JP, havent you seen enough from GL to know
that he tends to be a big liar? not that i think there will be a sequel,
but whether or not he plans on it, his answer will be "no". thats just
the fat man's style.

Jedi Priestess
I'd like a direct quote from Lucas on that please. And if that gets made, a TV series or any continuation of the movies will most assuredly fail IMHO.

PVS
no, it would do far worse than fail.
it would just break my heart.

but hey, SW has survived that christmas special, not to mention the ewok movie...so i guess why not...what the hell...it just might end up having some kinda campy charm to it.

Jedi Priestess
me too crybaby

Now see I was smart enough not to watch that crap. LOL And I think any continuation would ruin the franchise.

PVS
now JP, if that was correct, then the ewok movie would have blown the franchise right out of the water

all SW fans know what a quack GL is. so long as he doesnt screw up his films, i doubt anyone would care...or even watch the show come to think of it

Jedi Priestess
PVS, those were NOT theatrical releases. Nor were they that widely watched I dont think.

PVS
i believe the ewok flick was a theatrical release...unfortunately

im sure it got booted out of the theaters pretty quick though

Darth Malik
Ewok the first movie was a theatrical release second went straight to video, ok And i kinda admit defeat on the Whole TV series is confirmed part, the quote was not from Lucas but from the guy who does the alien costumes for ROTS and used to do farscape. apprantly he was asked if he would like to work on another on going sci-fi tv series. but he does not mention if it was lucas or not. But he does say that it was on set whilst filming ROTS. So kinda my bad. and I agree a TV series would suck but I still think the films could be good.

nigeyo2000
^^^^I agree with DM & PVS, he could change his mind....

or someone else will do them.....

its a possibility and i dont think ANYONE can say that they definately wont be making them... after all GL is a capatilist, like the rest of 'em !

Jedi Priestess
now see I didnt say someone else wont be making them. I said Lucas wont didnt I? laughing out loud The Ewok thing must have been limited release because the city I was living in didnt get it.

nigeyo2000
I agree he wont make them, but i reckon someone will !! and it will be c**p !! you know it will be !

and believ me JP you didnt want that Ewok thing ANYWHERE near your city !! t'was an absolute joke !! LOL laughing

cornponious
I thought Supershadow was making Ep's VII, VIII, and IX?

HAR HAR HAR!!!

cornplentious

Jedi Priestess
hysterical Corn oh Im sure he already has it all mapped out in his brain pal. wink

Jedi Priestess
no doubt........I wouldnt have went anyway tho hun, Im a cannon type of gal. I wont even watch the cartoons. wink

nigeyo2000
I wasted 5 hours downloading it from Kazaa back in the days

Picture my face being really excited about watching a SW EU film and being totally dissapointed with the outcome and saying 'god, i cant beleive they even TRIED to make this'

i dont think GL should've allow the EU, i think he should have just stuck with the star wars films cannon and everything should tie in with that...but i suppose thats a different thread !!

PVS
no joke, isn't that wacky a$$ actualy saying that? i though i saw it on his site.

Darth Malik
Oh come on if SS did it it would be great so far his promised roles to about five hundred of his most dedicated fans and if he gets his girl in it hell yeah she is hot.(sometimes I find sarcasm works best when talking about him)

Anyone ever wondered if SS posts on this forum and we actually speak to him. Scarey thought

smoker4
He does!! it's me!!! I will forward your sarcasm, my girlfriend is real honest!! i made her from Exar Kuns holocron kaliberr monster machine!! geek zorro whistle

Darth_Duffy
The simple fact that their is no story left to tell!
if there was a new sequel trilogy it would need to have a totally new cast, totally new characters and a new storyline.
im not sure there'd be much interest in this to be honest

Darth Malik
But it would still have lightsaber's. But I do agree that there is no story left to tell, but at the end of the day it would still be star wars and I know for a fact that even if the early reviews said that it was the worst film ever to be made I'd still be trying my hardest to get premiere tickets and then i'd be shelling out for the special edition DVD's then the box sets etc etc. and i'm sure you guys would do the same.

darktim1
I know he said after ep3 that he and stephen spielberg were going to make indy4 he has a script being written right now.

PVS
but thats not a fact. dont let GL dictate how you view the films. before the PT, star wars was about the journeys of luke skywalker and his friends.

Darth Malik
Total agree with PVS before the PT it was all about lukes journey, from a farm boy to becoming a Jedi Master. and obviously the battle between the rebels and the empire. But now after the PT it has changed to being anakin's story which is fine just if we were having this conversation ten years ago there would be no way we would be saying it was about Anakins story. How about it's the story of the Skywalkers that way there is room for the sequels.

Jedi Priestess
not this woman.......Im done after next May.

PVS, thats the EU in you talking laughing out loud Star Wars is about ANAKIN"S journey not Luke's.

Darth Malik
What's wrong with having a bit of EU in you. So If lucas suddenly decided to make ep 7, 8 & 9 you wouldn't be watching. JP do you actually like what GL has done with EP I & II?

nigeyo2000
i would watch them but i wouldnt hold my breath for the quality !

PVS
JP, that GL talking stick out tongue

if you tell me that before the PT came out, you thought of the OT as the story of anakin, then ill leave it at that. but admit it, when you first saw the OT it was all about luke/leah/han/chewie/r2/3p0.

Jedi Priestess
question one.........EU sux IMHO
question two.........NOPE
question three......With the exception of Jar Jar YES

sorry man thats just the way I feel.

Jedi Priestess
It's Lucas's vision PVS whether you guys want to admit it or not. No GL=No SW.
Actually sweetie, it has honestly ALWAYS been ALL about Vader for me clear since 1977 even.
Time for me to go to work peeps. Have a good one.

PVS
i am only swayed by my own way of seeing the saga.
i never had any interest in EU, because it just makes no sense to me to READ star wars. i guess i have played som SW video games, but i never base my views on what i see in those.

not that i took any offense to your EU comment JP.
i just felt the need to clarify my lack of care for EU.

PVS
well, i think GL is a liar, flat out.
when he wrote the original draft for star wars, vader was not luke's father.
he was just a villain. luke's father was betrayed and murdered by him. GL kept this idea even when he finished ep4. dont believe the fat man when he give you his "i had it all planned from the get go" speech, which he loves to give. i guess he's just too proud to admit that his mind changed through the
process of his work.

Darth Malik
I still think that most of the EU stuff is really high class, not too sure about the Kyber crystal and stuff like that. but just the back story I personally think they help to flesh the characters out a bit more. As long as you don't get into the area of well it's EU so it must be right.

Jedi Priestess
all that being said pal I still maintain NO GL=NO SW stick out tongue and now I really really have to go messed

PVS
<--- waves hand

you dont want to go

Darth Malik
What is it you don't like about EU, no need to be sorry each to there own. I'm just intrested in your views. At least we Agree on Jar Jar though.

guiro72
the tv series looks fairly likely to happen.....lucas won't do it himself, he'll farm it out like he did the clone wars cartoons.....

i have no idea about sequel trilogy, but for a long time the thought of lucas doing these prequels seemed insane and highly unlikely....think back.....

i saw the ewok movie in the cinema....though in my defense, i was very young, don't remember thinking much of them, and at my local cinema you just went whatever was on anyway......

the original star wars (ep IV at least, and probably ep V as well) is about luke....vader's hardly in ep IV, he's waiting in the wings....is about luke (although i concede it might be about luke in relation to the problem of vader).....do you think hamill wouldn't come back for episode 8?......although getting ford to join in might be a really tough assignment....

i will bide my time and see what happens, but when i think back to before phantom menace, if someone had asked me if i thought a new star wars film was possible, i would have said NO, most emphatically.....

guiro72
PVS never said anything about eu as far as i remember, he just said original trilogy seemed to be about luke when we first saw it....

eu sucks in my opinion and always will....it's a hollywood remake....it's fan fiction....it's not kosher.....

however, PVS, i am of the firm opinion that vader was luke's father at the time of filming ep IV....maybe not in the old original drafts of the script, i can't remember, but during the filming of ep IV vader WAS lukes father.....it is hinted at again and again, i know movie shorthand, and it's in there solid.....

of course, i am very, very drunk......

PVS
LOL, well lets argue that point after you sleep it off eek!

guiro72
i stand by everything i said regardless.....*hic*......

Darth Malik
Not gonna get into the EU arguement, but i always thought that in the filming of ANH Vader had killed Lukes father and Dear GL changed it after, but again that's just my opinion

PVS
its true...but good luck finding a quote

guiro72
sorry, i'm adamant on this....leia/sister thing was added in at the last minute, but the whole of ep IV is leading up to vader being luke's father....trust me, i know movie shorthand.....it's ingrained in the film from start to finish.....they knew.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.