X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Discuss the Wolverine movie's news, production, actors, etc. that is now OFFICIALLY happening. Hope this isn't closed because its not a general discussion about the character like the others it's only for the movie.

David Benioff to Write Wolverine Spinoff!
Source: Variety
October 5, 2004

20th Century Fox has hired "Troy" screenwriter David Benioff to write Wolverine, a spinoff focusing on the character from the studio's "X-Men" films and Marvel comics. Variety reports that Benioff will write with the expectation that a deal will be made for Hugh Jackman to reprise his role as the superhero.

The trade adds that the film will likely be produced by the "X-Men" duo of Lauren Shuler Donner and Marvel Studios' Avi Arad, though those talks haven't been completed.

Benioff seems an unusual choice for the project, but he is a fan of the comic book. Fox will press forward with Wolverine development while simultaneously preparing its third installment of "X-Men," which will be written by Simon Kinberg.

Prodigy
I heard about this awhile ago... maybe it'll tell about his past? That was one rumor.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah but until now it was only speculation that the film would be made. Now it is official because it has a writer. Yes it will definitely be about his past and X3 is about everything happening now.

TheFilmProphet
http://auction4.comton.com/member/G2QRF5J/XMenWolverine2728.jpg

Prodigy
Squee! Where'dja find that pic?

TheFilmProphet
I did a search and found it. It's not the real poster for the movie because they don't have one yet but it still looks like a great teaser to me though.

TheFilmProphet
http://www.baskinrobbins.com/promo/images/x2_Wolverine.jpg

Prodigy
Yeah, I didn't think it was official; but, like you said, something to whet our appetites!

TheFilmProphet
http://www.darknesspage.hpg.ig.com.br/downloads/wallpapers/xmen/movie01/x-wolverine_1024x768.jpg

TheFilmProphet
5 October 2004

Can we get a SNIKT! in the house?!!
Wolvie fans, you may commence rejoicing right about now - today Variety reports that screenwriter David Benioff (Troy) has been hired by 20th Century Fox to develop a Wolverine screenplay, and it's expected a deal will be out soon to Hugh to reprise the role. (X3, meanwhile, will continue to develop simultaneously; no details yet as to how the spinoff will affect the part Logan plays in the next sequel.) Visit Comingsoon.net for further details.

SOURCE

/\RK
well sabretooth has to be in it, they have alot of past together, well in the comics they do, i wonder what other mutants will be in it

TheFilmProphet
True. Since Wolverine doesn't remember much they can always put Sabertooth and Deathstrike into it.

/\RK
about deathstrike, so in the comics she is a cyborg, liek a robot

TheFilmProphet
Yeah in the comics she is a cyborg but in the movie she is like Wolverine. This is just an idea but since Wolverine can't rmember anything and Deathstrike was under mind control we don't know of any past history between them in X2. So maybe in the Wolverine film they could have been past lovers.

/\RK
yes but now they can make her an admantium cyborg, coz she is full of it now big grin

TheFilmProphet
Yeah but if its a prequel they can't wink They will just have to go with something like my past lovers idea if they put her in his movie.

TheFilmProphet
SOURCE: x3movie.net

OCTOBER 5, 2004 - WOLVERINE SPIN-OFF MOVING FORWARD!

We mentioned a long while back that Fox would develop X3 and WOLVERINE around the same time. Today, news broke from Variety that 20th Century Fox is indeed moving forward with a WOLVERINE spin-off film by hiring screenwriter, David Benioff (TROY) for the project! The film would see the popular X-Men character, Wolverine, go off in his own adventures. To date, Tyler 'Sabertooth' Man and Kelly 'Deathstrike' Hu both have options to return for future X-MEN films OR spin-offs, so will we be seeing them in the film? We'll see! Hugh Jackman is not yet signed for the spin-off, or X3. Fox will likely try inking a two-picture deal with the actor, which could be in the $20 mil range!

/\RK
yeh but in the third one she can be in it

Shadow_King
OMG OMEGA RED.

X-FAN
I hate prequels, I already know what happened to wolverine. This is why the fist Xmen movie wasn't as good as it could have been, it explained every thing I already knew.

DeAdLy KaRnAgE
u made that thats so fake

/\RK
dont u read?

see he found it, and knows its not real

TheFilmProphet
Thanks RK. http://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/thumbs_up.gif

TheFilmProphet
Actually thats where it is different. Even though we know he got the Adamantium skeleton and claws, their version of his story is different. They don't even have a Weapon X in the movies so its not the same. Thats why it will be interesting to see how they will tell his story in the movie.

/\RK
i wonder if it will show a it of his past, when he uses his real claws the skeleton ones

TheFilmProphet
It could happen and it would make sense. They might go with Wolverine's "Origin" series.

/\RK
thats what im hoping

TheFilmProphet
There is one question about that though. Who would play the young Wolverine or basically the teenage Wolverine?

/\RK
i dont know, i didnt know he was a teen when he killed his step father or some thing

TheFilmProphet
I'm not sure but he sure looked young enough to be one. I haven't read it in a while. wink But I still know he was younger than Hugh Jackman is.

TheFilmProphet
'Wolverine' may soon have a movie to his credit
Thursday, 07 October , 2004, 10:48
Washington: Hugh Jackman, who played Wolverine in the X-men flicks might be seen in the lead role in the movie titled Wolverine, a spin off from X-Men, if an announcement by 20th Century Fox is to be believed.

According to Zap2it, David Benioff will write the script for the movie that is to be based on the Marvel Comics character, with Hugh Jackman in mind to reprise his role as the hero.

In the previous X-Men films Wolverine's bones were replaced with adamantium, which combines accelerated self-healing with his mutant ability to create a nigh indestructible fighter.

http://sify.com/movies/hollywood/fullstory.php?id=13584459

TheFilmProphet
One More.

Fox Eyes "Wolverine" Spinoff

by Josh Grossberg
Oct 5, 2004, 2:05 PM PT

Call it a Marvel-ous mutation.

20th Century Fox has sealed a seven-figure deal with Troy scribe David Benioff to develop Wolverine, a spinoff following the razor-clawed mutant hero of the studio's X-Men franchise, Fox reps confirmed.

A longtime fan of the comic book, Benioff will pen the script based on an idea he pitched to 20th Century Fox executives. X-Men producers Lauren Shuler Donner and Marvel Studios chief Avi Arad are expected to supervise the project once they finalize their own deals.

Benioff, who wrote the upcoming Fox drama, Stay, recently adapted the George Pelecanos novel, Right as Rain, for L.A. Confidential filmmaker Curtis Hanson. According to Daily Variety, he's also working on an adaptation of Ernest Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls for Warner Bros.

When last we left our heavy metal hero, Wolverine had learned that he was the subject of an Army medical experiment that replaced his skeleton with a steel frame that made him nearly invincible and gave him the use of retractable steel talons as a weapon. However, X2: X-Men United still did not answer questions about his mysterious past, a notion likely to be addressed in future sequels or in the Wolverine spinoff.

The studio declined to divulge details of the plot. However it's unlikely other mutants, such as Wolverine's love interest, Jean Grey, or his shape-shifting nemesis, Mystique, will make an appearance.

Of course, the big question is whether Hugh Jackman--who essayed the tough-talking comic-book character in the first two installments--will don the furry sideburns again.

Fox is obviously banking on the newly crowned Emmy winner returning to the role that made him famous.

However by tailoring a tale around one of its most popular mutants, Fox could run the risk of overkill, especially since Wolverine could end up competing with the proposed third X-Men flick the studio has targeted to hit theaters May 5, 2006, and thus, dilute the franchise.

Development on the third entry was hobbled recently when its road-tested comic-book director Bryan Singer abruptly left the project for another Man of Steel--opting to helm Warner Bros. update of Superman.

While Fox searches for a replacement for Singer, the studio has since tapped writer Simon Kinberg to get cracking on the screenplay.

If Jackman does suit up, Wolverine could very well be an indestructible force at the box office, especially if X-Men's history has anything to say about it.

The Marvel series has become quite a cash cow for Fox. The first X-Men movie grossed over $295 million at the international box office upon its release in 2000, while its superhero sequel, 2003's X2: X-Men United, surpassed that total, raking in $406 million in global ticket sales.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,15074,00.html?tnews

TheFilmProphet
Another pic of Wolvie http://www.sf-fan.de/sf-film/kino/x-men_2/archiv/x-men_2_002.jpg

DeAdLy KaRnAgE
o my bad im so srry

TheFilmProphet
Its cool.

Paola
lmao

TheFilmProphet
laughing out loud

Sorry about that.

TheFilmProphet
http://wolverine.x-knights.com/fullsize/wolverine210.jpg

TheFilmProphet
SOURCE: Hollywood News

'Wolverine' may soon have a movie to his credit! :

Hollywood News > Washington, Oct 6: Hugh Jackman, who played 'Wolverine' in the X-men flicks might be seen in the lead role in the movie titled 'Wolverine', a spin off from 'X-Men', if an announcement by 20th Century Fox is to be believed.

According to Zap2it, David Benioff will write the script for the movie that is to be based on the Marvel Comics character, with Hugh Jackman in mind to reprise his role as the hero.

In the previous "X-Men" films Wolverine's bones were replaced with adamantium, which combines accelerated self-healing with his mutant ability to create a nigh indestructible fighter. (ANI)

pr1983
thing is, with jackman as wolverine the movie'll be huge

(angry expletives deleted)

TheFilmProphet
Is that a bad thing?

pr1983
you know me, i aint his biggest fan, i'd rather see money spent on makin x3 as good as possible, but it could suffer financially because of a wolverine movie, andf then there'd be no x4 crybaby

TheFilmProphet
Believe me 20th Century has enough money to go around but if your worried then maybe you should be thinking about FF losing them the money and not the Wolverine movie.

pr1983
no, i mean if wolvie aint in x3 alot of the non x-fans wont go and see it.

TheFilmProphet
He will be in X3 but the Wolverine film is going to happen after X3.

pr1983
really? so hes gonna play the same character in two different movies? i would not be surprised if he pulled out of x3 or had a really small role in it.

TheFilmProphet
Hugh Jackman will be back in X3 with the same role he had in the previous 2 films.

Then the Wolverine movie will be filmed after X3 is released.

pr1983
i hope so, i really do

TheFilmProphet
It will so don't worry.The only way it wouldn't happen is if Hugh Jackman just suddenly fell dead.

pr1983
or got offered van helsing 2 or james bond *shudders at the thought of jackman as 007*

TheFilmProphet
I don't really see a Van Helsing 2 being made. wink

pr1983
were theres a company theres a stupid producer, but it is a bit of a long shot i suppose

TheFilmProphet
I don't think it will be made because it only made $119 million out of a $160 million budget. Considering Hugh has two films coming X3 and Wolverine I don't think he would risk that for a poor franchise like this. If it does ever happen it will be after a few years.

pr1983
yeah i suppose, as long as he doesnt go and do a "hall berry" we should be ok

TheFilmProphet
yeah

TheFilmProphet
http://www.actorcomicfund.org/Pages/AuctionArt/Wolverine.jpg

Paola
eek! nice Proph!!!

TheFilmProphet
Thanks. Thats the best one I have found so far, it looks professional.

Paola
I have some manipulations with his bone claws yes

TheFilmProphet
Hows that?

Paola
I'll post it if you want me to.... just let me look for them....

TheFilmProphet
Alright

RoguePw25
Are you serious??? I had no idea that the Wolverine Movie was this far along! I mean, I heard talks about it, but wow. This is news to me.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah it blew us all away. We went from not having an X3 movie to having both an X3 movie and a Wolverine movie.

TheFilmProphet
http://www.rrousselle.com/wolverine.gif

/\RK
hey tfp who is that guy in ur sig,. not magneto, blob, pyro or mystique, the silver one, dont tell me its avalanche,

ps saop opera time, now

Paola
Ark: It's AVALANCHE! yes

/\RK
god every time i see him, he gets more retarded

TheFilmProphet
laughing out loud

Abbita
eek! wolverine movie droolio cant wait big grin

TheFilmProphet
Neither can I.

/\RK
hmm i hope they clear alot of his pastup, and tfp in online now we can soap opera, coz the boss let me finish way early today

TheFilmProphet
Yeah me too.

TheFilmProphet
http://wolverine.x-knights.com/fullsize/wolverine172.jpg

Paola
eek! what if they change it? detective

TheFilmProphet
They already have stick out tongue

Paola
more I mean...

TheFilmProphet
If there is no Weapon X involved then you can't expect them to stick too closely to the original story. I'll be happy as long as they include either Deathstrike or Sabertooth if its a prequel.

TheFilmProphet
http://www.greghornjudge.com/images/Large/4%20Magazine%20art/Jackman_Wolverine-X-men.jpg

Paola
I was kind of thinking more about the Origin series...

TheFilmProphet
That far back?

Don't think they will do that wink Since they want more special effects and big villains to bring in the kids not the old country. Even if they did though then they might have to cast a younger Wolvie for that part of the film.

Paola
you're right messed

that won't work big grin

TheFilmProphet
So who would you like to see in the Wolvie film?

Sabertooth
Lady Deathstrike

Or both?

Paola
Deathstrike all the way.... I don't like Sabrefool for obvious reasons roll eyes (sarcastic)

but it would be a great dissappointment if he wouldn't make it to a Wolvie movie...

TheFilmProphet
I will be really, really happy to see Kelly Hu again.http://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/drool.gif

Paola
laughing and I wonder why!

she's cute happy I loved her in X2 and that other show she appeared in..."Martial Law" or something..... whenever she fought I imagined her with purple hair eek! love

TheFilmProphet
I have always thought she was beautiful but when I saw her in person her beauty just captured me completely.serenade

Paola
eek! open a thread about her and tell me EVERYTHING!!! droolio
but tomorrow.... 'cause I must go to sleep yawn

see ya Proph!!

Abbita
KELLY HU WAS IN MARTIAL LAW?!?? jawdrop

Paola
but of course smokin'

or maybe that wasn't the show's name confused

TheFilmProphet
Where?

TheFilmProphet

Paola
here?

TheFilmProphet
About Kelly or Yuriko?

Paola
eek!

TheFilmProphet
Exactly smokin'

Paola
here must be about Yuriko yes

TheFilmProphet
Alright, I made it. evil face

Paola
great! big grin

TheFilmProphet
Thanks and here is more Wolvie movie art

ash23
This sounds very cool, not sure about Benioff doing the script though, Troy's script was pretty dire and cringeworthy sick in some places, so we will have to see what he makes of this script, hopefully it will be good smile

TheFilmProphet
Yeah I agree.

I have no doubt that it will be great.

TheFilmProphet
David Benioff on the Wolverine Spin-Off
Source: Daniel Robert Epstein
December 28, 2004

In a new interview with "Troy" screenwriter David Benioff, he talks about writing the Wolverine spin-off. While Benioff couldn't reveal many details, here's an interesting bit:

I'm not allowed to talk about it. Fox is pretty careful about that. It's not even totally finalized what story we are doing. What I can say is that in the X-Men movies we've seen a lot of the sweet Wolverine so I think it's time to mess him up a little bit because all the fans know that he's the best there is at what he does but what he does isn't very nice. Also getting to write "Snikt" in a comic book is the coolest thing.

Shadow_King
this doesnt sound good.

TheFilmProphet

TheFilmProphet

TheFilmProphet
Hugh Jackman to Produce X3 & Wolverine
Source: Variety
January, 2005

In a Variety article talking about how "X-Men" series star Hugh Jackman is developing three new musical features at Disney (more here), it also states that he'll be producing X-Men 3 and Wolverine:

Jackman has formed a company with new partner John Palermo...whom he met when the latter was Bryan Singer's assistant on "X-Men."

Jackman would seem a good candidate to broaden the audience appeal of tuners. He is most readily identifiable to moviegoers for the "X-Men" character Wolverine and the vampire hunter Van Helsing.

He'll continue on the action track: Jackman and Palermo will cut their teeth as producers by getting involved in the third installment of "X-Men," as well as a "Wolverine" spinoff feature "Troy" scribe David Benioff is penning at Fox.

He is expected to return as Logan/Wolverine in both films as well, of course.

Shadow_King
soo i am assuming thats good news>????

TheFilmProphet
If he is a good producer then yes it is, if he isn't a good producer then its horrible news.

TheFilmProphet

ayjay
o0o..sounds good....i wouldnt have liked the idea of having a alien fighting demon wolverine movie..it's kool for comics...but i prefer the movies, inlcuding the x-men movies. to be a littel more relaistic and not so far fetched...^__^

TheFilmProphet
It sounds like this writer actually understands some of the most important aspects of Wolverine and even better he is writing a Rated R script for the film.

Rave X
R rated script?! eek! cool

TheFilmProphet

jdea
In his spin-off do you think he'll have a love interest, who's kick-ass or just a regular caring person who takes him in?

Omega-level
Wolverine with a girlfriend is bad for him, because he wouldn't be able to anything he ordinarily does, like staying in both the New Avengers and the X-men, go aroung the world just to kick some asses, drink every night, go chase some chicks, etc. Wolverine's a nomad, and nomads are not the best partners you can have.

jdea
yeah i totally get what u r saying, i mean like what jean is or someone who he cares for, yet won't get involved

Sabretooth
The thing I'm most looking forward to about the Wolverine movie? People can't ***** about the other X-Men not having equal screen time since it HIS movie. BWAHAHAHA!!!

Paola
hope a little poetic justice is done and whoever shares credits with him takes the movie dev

confused hope I made myself clear...

D-Double
Originally posted by Paola
hope a little poetic justice is done and whoever shares credits with him takes the movie dev

confused hope I made myself clear...

I get ya big grin

... say Psylocke is his co-star... the babe steals the spotlight. wink

Sabretooth
I can't think of any characters in the Marvel universe that are going to have both the popularity and sufficient impact on Wolverine's story to have a chance to steal the spotlight from him. Besides maybe a few cameos, this is going to be the WOLVERINE SHOW! 'Bout time too. Those other X-Men were killing his street cred as a "loner" type as it was. Man, this is going to be great. We finally get to see Wolverine vs. Sabretooth as it was meant to be before Singer ruined it with all that wire-fu bullshit.

Paola
maybe, we'll see...

Charlie2377
I think its a mistake....Although i still look forward to watching it.

Wolverine2006
its probably going to be about the weapon x facility

Sabretooth

Sabretooth

manorastroman
they already made a wolverine spin off. it was called wolverine 3: wolverine wolverine wolverine.

you remember, the war finally broke out and magneto had his brotherhood and jean was all in phoenix mode. that had as much wolverine ball-sucking as a spin off would.

Sabretooth
Originally posted by manorastroman
they already made a wolverine spin off. it was called wolverine 3: wolverine wolverine wolverine.

you remember, the war finally broke out and magneto had his brotherhood and jean was all in phoenix mode. that had as much wolverine ball-sucking as a spin off would.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting it's trendy to be a Wolveracist now. Tell you what, you can stay home for the Wolverine movie and ***** to all your friends about how your favorite character either didn't make it in any of the X-Movies or had all of their screen-time stolen by the most popular super hero ever. I'll go see the movie and enjoy Jackman's dead-on portrayal of the character that pretty much singlehandedly saved the X-Men from being cancelled about twenty years ago and pay the character the respect he deserves. Then, we'll compare notes and see who had more fun on movie night.

You know, there was a Wolverine that didn't suck a long time ago, before Marvel ruined the character by overusing him and making him ridiculously overpowered. THAT is the Wolverine in the movies. Like it or not, Wolverine is the reason the X-Men movie was made in the first place. Wolverine is the reason enough people came to see it to warrant making two (and possibly more) sequels. It's actually a pretty simple concept: The reason why Wolverine gets top billing and the most screen time is because he's the one most people are there to see. Most non-comic fan people couldn't give a rat's ass about Cyclops, Iceman or a horribly portrayed Storm. How well does anybody really think a movie about the X-Men without Wolverine in it would do? Anybody who wants more movies about the X-Men universe better hope nothing ever happens to Hugh Jackman.

Shalimar_fox
as much as i hate logan.saber here is right.with out wolvie not that many would give an crap aout the x-men.I must say i liked storm in all the movies. i was apit p-off the Psylocke was bad

manorastroman
Originally posted by Sabretooth
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting it's trendy to be a Wolveracist now. Tell you what, you can stay home for the Wolverine movie and ***** to all your friends about how your favorite character either didn't make it in any of the X-Movies or had all of their screen-time stolen by the most popular super hero ever. I'll go see the movie and enjoy Jackman's dead-on portrayal of the character that pretty much singlehandedly saved the X-Men from being cancelled about twenty years ago and pay the character the respect he deserves. Then, we'll compare notes and see who had more fun on movie night.

You know, there was a Wolverine that didn't suck a long time ago, before Marvel ruined the character by overusing him and making him ridiculously overpowered. THAT is the Wolverine in the movies. Like it or not, Wolverine is the reason the X-Men movie was made in the first place. Wolverine is the reason enough people came to see it to warrant making two (and possibly more) sequels. It's actually a pretty simple concept: The reason why Wolverine gets top billing and the most screen time is because he's the one most people are there to see. Most non-comic fan people couldn't give a rat's ass about Cyclops, Iceman or a horribly portrayed Storm. How well does anybody really think a movie about the X-Men without Wolverine in it would do? Anybody who wants more movies about the X-Men universe better hope nothing ever happens to Hugh Jackman.

that, and it was called "wolverine III: wolverine wolverine wolverine". if wolverine hating is trendy, you must be on the level of neon pink hobies and watching survivor.

Sabretooth

Shalimar_fox
sabertooth don't worry about what he says.anyway yes make the movie already

Sabretooth

Shalimar_fox
i posted that sabertooth was alive some time ago.you know how the game told the story between x2 and x3.

Sabretooth
Yeah, but just because the game designers say he's alive doesn't mean the scriptwriters at Marvel are going to agree with them and use the character. The fact that Lucasfilm "authorized" all the Star Wars games and books as in continuity didn't matter at all when Lucas needed to change some of the facts or history of some of his characters in to fit his story in the movies whenever he needed to. That's his prerogative though. It's HIS universe. Just like Marvel owns their universe and ain't no geeky little game developer gonna tell 'em how to run their characters. They kill and bring back to life whomever they damn well please. So I was just happy to hear the call officially made by someone in Marvel actually authorized to make such a call.

Darth Jello
They could make a terrific movie if they take their time and pretty much do a montage of his early life with familiar actors playing unfamiliar characters. Tyler Mane as Dog, Famke Janssen as Rose, James Marsden as Maverick, Patrick Stewart as Proffessor Andre Thornton, etc. Maybe make the main villain of the movie someone truely frightening, like Cyber.

For those unfamiliar, historically, Cyber has been the only villain that can make wolverine piss himself every time.

Sabretooth
Not a bad idea, but people who are not familiar with the comics may have trouble differentiating between two characters played by the same actor or actress. For example: "Why are they calling her rose? I thought her name was Jean, and I thought Wolverine didn't meet her until X-Men 1..."

Besides, I don't know if I want Wolverine's origin fully explained. I think that losing the mystery is one of the things that ruined the character in the comics. I would rather they reveal more of the Weapon X story with Silver Fox as a love interest and Sabretooth earning his place as Wolverine's arch-enemy by killing her. I also really like your idea of Cyber as the main villain, and think he would translate well to the screen. Wolverine's past in Japan has also been mentioned by a few fans and maybe the way to go would be a "Batman Begins" sort of story with Ogun playing the part of a Ra's Al Ghul-type mentor. I figure I'll just be happy as long as Jackman is playing the part and Singer isn't directing.

Wolverine2006
Originally posted by Darth Jello
They could make a terrific movie if they take their time and pretty much do a montage of his early life with familiar actors playing unfamiliar characters. Tyler Mane as Dog, Famke Janssen as Rose, James Marsden as Maverick, Patrick Stewart as Proffessor Andre Thornton, etc. Maybe make the main villain of the movie someone truely frightening, like Cyber.

For those unfamiliar, historically, Cyber has been the only villain that can make wolverine piss himself every time.

Wolverines not scared of him anymore...but he did used to be terrified of him

Sabretooth
Not really an update, but I'll post it anyway:

www.imdb.com Oct 16, 2006
Credited cast:
Hugh Jackman .... Logan/Wolverine
Brian Cox .... William Stryker (rumored)
Ken Watanabe .... Kenuichio Harada/Silver Samurai (rumored)

Writing credits:
David Benioff (written by)

Plot Outline:
A prequel to X-Men. Wolverine lives a mutant life, seeks revenge against Victor Creed (who will later become Sabertooth) for the death of his girlfriend, and ultimately signs up and goes through the mutant Weapon X program.

I'm not sure about the reliability of imdb, but I like the mention of Victor Creed waisting Wolvie's girlfriend and I think Ken Watanabe would be great as Silver Samurai. Watanabe has played samurai characters in the past, so this shouldn't be too much of a stretch for him. I'm not ready to make any bets on whether or not he's even in the movie at this point though.

LORDSIDIOUS01
I look forward to seeing this movie. Loved Hugh Jackman in the X films. I'm not sure which origin will be told, but I look forward to seeing it.

Sabretooth
aintitcool.com Feb 2, 2007
Brian Cox to be CG Young-ified in WOLVERINE movie?

Hey folks, Harry here - Remember that Playboy - CG - Airbrushed look that they did to Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart in X3? Well, looks like they might be employing that technique on the WOLVERINE movie to Brian Cox - as the film is apparently set 17 years before the events that Wolverine goes through in the X-Men movies. Here ya go...

Something small about the upcoming Wolverine movie.

Brian Cox was on a BBC programme, Film 2007 talking about Running With Scissors, the presenter Jonathan Ross asked him about Wolverine to which Cox replied, 'it's set seventeen years ago, which is fine for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine doesn't age but for me, I'm thinking they could what they did with Patrick and Ian for the start of the third one. I know my character is in it, they've asked me to be in it but that was a while ago now, it's completely stalled so no start date as yet.'

Adrian

What the crap does he mean by "completely stalled" ?!!! Has Marvel actually put Wolverine on the back burner to concentrate more on movies like Ant Man and Namor? I thought Marvel was in the business of making money. At least we now know Stryker is included in the movie now, bringing the total number of confirmed characters to...

uh...

two.

RogueWitch
Originally posted by Sabretooth
What the crap does he mean by "completely stalled" ?!!! Has Marvel actually put Wolverine on the back burner to concentrate more on movies like Ant Man and Namor? I thought Marvel was in the business of making money. At least we now know Stryker is included in the movie now, bringing the total number of confirmed characters to...

uh...

two.

hehe wink

but if the wolverine movie really has to be good, basically the script has to be outstanding and the director brilliant otherwise they're just gonna screw it all up and make a film about ant man and just the name sounds horrible.

Besides they have to put some interesting characters into it... meaning not deathstrike cause they've used her up already and in X2 Logan didn't sort of know her...

I dunno but i think deathstrike isn't such an appealing choice...erm

Sabretooth

LORDSIDIOUS01
I hope Logan or James fights either Sabretooth or The Silver Samurai? Maybe Juggernaut?

starlock
i hope i am not ruining this thread but...

has anyone watched the deleted scenes in Xmen 3-it shows an extended fight with wolvie and storm,against juggy and calisto in jeans old house
very cool

Sabretooth
Originally posted by LORDSIDIOUS01
I hope Logan or James fights either Sabretooth or The Silver Samurai? Maybe Juggernaut?

Personally, I would prefer if Marvel used villains from Wolverine's rogues gallery like Sabretooth or Cyber or Sabretooth or Silver Samurai or Sabretooth or Omega Red or Sabretooth. Juggernaut is a fine villain for the X-Men (Colossus in particular), but not really what I expect to see when I open a Wolverine comic.

Originally posted by starlock
i hope i am not ruining this thread but...

has anyone watched the deleted scenes in Xmen 3-it shows an extended fight with wolvie and storm,against juggy and calisto in jeans old house
very cool

Saw it. Enjoyed it. I thought the Wolverine/Deathstrike fight and the X-Mansion invasion scenes were both choreographed better though.

Wolverine2006
I read a review of the script it said Sabretooth had a big part in it....google Wolverine script review I think the site it latinoreview.com but I'm not sure. It does have a few spoilers in it thought.

Sabretooth
***ATTENTION***

This update contains SPOILERS, so don't whine at me if you keep reading and ruin the movie for yourself:
http://www.filmick.co.uk Apr 28, 2007
Wolverine Script Review

By now, I'm sure you know how I like to do script reviews. I like to fill them with excerpts. I like to show you just what the script is made of. If I can, I even resort to big swathes of cut and paste, because I know what I'd want to see in a script review.

Unfortunately, this time, I'm not going to be able to do that. Yesterday, I had a hard copy of David Benioff's Wolverine script in my hands. Right now, I do not.

But I remember details well, so there's still plenty to tell you. I've been warned to avoid spoilers, so I'll do my best - but some of the set-up will have to be discussed, and you need to know which characters appear, don't you? Sure you do. How on earth can I tell you anything meaningful about the story otherwise.

The story is a short one, really, and not much happens - certainly in comparison to the X-Men films. And it's a prequel: we begin with a pre-Adamantium Logan, go through his alteration at the hands of Stryker into Weapon X and then set him free to wander alone until Singer's first X-Men will pick up the pieces. As such, there's no role for Anna Paquin as Rogue, so her interview comments about her willingness to participate in the film are entirely moot. Sorry Anna, you're out in the cold - and a whole load of less interesting characters are in.

The film opens with a joint flashback-come dream-sequence in which Logan, aged 12, gets into an almighty ruckus with some jock types. He has big sharp claws and regenerative capabilities, the jocks do not, the outcome is inevitable.

Waking from this dream, Logan has shredded his bed sheets in his sleep. This scene is where we meet his partner, Kayla Silverfox, a full-blodded Innu. She's underwritten but given pseudo-insightful folkloric references to make and a plot Maguffin role to fulfill.

Before very long, we find out that Victor Creed, never once called Sabretooth, is hunting and killing mutants. Why? Because he's naughty. Beak - a Morrison mutant - makes a short appearance in a Creed scene. He doesn't have claws either, so the outcome is again inevitable.

Essentially, the lose plot is this: Stryker tracks Logan down, takes him to Alkali lake and gives him his adamantium skeleton. The descriptions of this painful procedure (to say the least) are bang-on accurate to the flashback nightmares - seems that logan has a lot of those! - in the Singer films. This was very respectful, I thought.

Of course, it happens that the Wolverine is tougher than even Stryker anticipated and, now encased in his virtually indestructible adamantium, and with claws more deadly than ever before, Logan just slashes his way out of the facility at Alkali lake. He'll return later and make even more of a mess - I'm not sure it is left in a state perfectly in continuity with Singer's films, but then again, I'm not sure it isn't - the details are quite vague.

Brian Cox has mentioned how the Wolverine script was set seventeen years before X2. There's no way to pin it down to an exact seventeen years - actually, in all honesty, it could wrap up very shortly before the first X-Men film begins. I think that is likely to be the way they go with this - so Jackman can play the part reasonably. And that way, Cox could quite happily reprise Stalker, no silly make up or digital de-aging required.

Logan's hunt for Creed takes up a healthy share of the page count. Barely drawn, throwaway characters are written in and killed before they nose past the cliche-spouting cypher stage. There's a Mos Eisley bar for Mutants, if you know what I mean - or maybe something more like the Vampire nightclub in Blade (this is where some chap called Barbarus turns up). My point is, essentially, this is very generic stuff, from top to bottom.

Are there any 'twists'? Well, some of the betrayals that come later are utterly predictable but still feel disappointing as they play out. Oh, and, while we're on the subject, faked-deaths that require heart-rate slowing injections and bags of blood being spilled should have been outlawed some time ago, really. Yawn.

Lip-service is paid to the idea of a Mutant war, and a few moral conundra are alluded to, seemingly insincerely and without any gravitas or insight. The whole thing seems like a light, shallow and pointless retread of bits and pieces from X2 - like off-cut scenes plucked from the dumper. This script might aim to be the Godfather II to X2's Godfather I, heading into the past and revealing more details, but it has so little to say, and is so utterly devoid of invention or surprise, the whole trip seems completely redundant. These might have been the deleted scenes from a tedious, excised subplot in a three hour cut of X2.

I'm quite sure that Jackman will come out of this very well, and Cox too. Even though their dialogue is far from special, and often rather woeful, to hear it spoken in their voices, given their particular cadences and personal timing choices, it will play much better than it reads.

And the badness doesn't stop there. There's a lot of bad logic too - "You brainwashed me to love you, but then you went off and I kept loving you, therefore the brainwashing was irrelevant, I really do love you". Explain that one to me if you will. If I brought you up to speak Spanish and I left the room you wouldn't suddenly start talking Dutch, would you? That's one important plot point that makes no sense whatsoever. Brainwashed is brainwashed.

Another truly silly moment? A character claims that they aren't frightened of dying and they are asked how they know because they haven't died before. I mean, that would have worked if they said they weren't frightened of death, but of course they'll know if they're frightened of dying or not. Think about it: only actually dying is going to negate that one, not being alive. Bad.

The most interesting detail for me is a fairly inconspicuous reference to the Ultramax prison - a prison for supervillains, the baddest of the bad mutants. I wonder if Justin Marks had read this script before cooking up his Green Arrow/Super-Max pitch?

So, I've wandered around and meandered a bit and not been able to go into anything like the detail I wanted to but, well, I think I've said enough. Botom line? This is a bad script and the best we could hope for is a mediocre, moderately entertaining, but by no means memorable, valuable or cherishable film.

Time to get a new writer in? Yeah, if there was any intent to make anything more than a cash-in, cop-out cheat of a film.

// posted by Brendon @ 10:17 AM
I'm sure I'm heavily biased here, but I think "cash-in, cop-out cheat of a film" is a bit harsh. It sounds to me like the overall story is almost exactly what I was expecting, but the dialogue needs to be tweaked some. At least they're being faithful to the continuity established in the previous movies. Maybe Marvel "accidentally" leaked the script to gauge public reaction. If so, I'll be interested to see how much of the script changes before shooting starts because of negative reviews like the one above.

Sabretooth

supreme_being
hey i heard somewhere that:
Sabertooth
Lady Deathstrike
William Stryker
Weapon X
Omega Red
are all to appear in the wolverine movie.
any confirm?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>