Rodney Dangerfield Dies At Age 82

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Comic Rodney Dangerfield dies in L.A. at age 82

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES(Reuters) - Rodney Dangerfield, the goggle-eyed comic famed for his self-deprecating one-liners and signature phrase "I can't get no respect," died Tuesday at age 82, his spokesman said.

Dangerfield, who became a pop culture sensation in middle age with a string of broad film comedies starting with "Caddyshack" in 1980, died at the UCLA Medical Center, where he had undergone heart valve replacement surgery on Aug. 25, spokesman Kevin Sasaki said.

Dangerfield, whose initial forays into show business ended in failure, restarted his career as a comedian in his 40s. He went on to become a national sensation in his own right and helped launch the careers of such comics as Jim Carrey and Jerry Seinfeld.

Dangerfield suffered a stroke following the surgery in August and "developed infectious and abdominal complications from which he did not recover," Sasaki said.

During the past week, the entertainer emerged from a coma he had slipped into sometime after the operation, according to his wife, Joan. "When Rodney emerged, he kissed me, squeezed my hand, and smiled for the doctors," Joan Dangerfield said in a statement.

A native of New York's Long Island, Dangerfield had endured a series of health problems in recent years. Last spring, he underwent brain surgery.

A month later, Dangerfield greeted reporters at the hospital dressed in a sports shirt and Bermuda shorts and declared, "My brain is OK. I feel like a new man." Later, responding to a medical question, he answered, "Ask me about things I'm familiar with, like drugs or prostitution."

ladygrim
sad

Kella
cry Goodbye Rodney....I loved you man. You got my respect...cry

badsymbiote
So sad. That guy was truly a comedic pioneer.
My boss and I are fans of his, and we were both apprehensive about the surgery which seemed ok at first--then we didn't hear anything else about it, so we figured no news was good news--then 2 weeks ago, his wife acknowledged the coma, but she seemed so optimistic.

slayer
R.I.P Rodney.

TheFilmProphet
I didn't expect this to happen now. sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.