Christopher Reeve Dead At 52

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Christopher Reeve dead at 52

'Superman' star Christopher Reeve dead at 52
Paralyzed actor was advocate for spinal cord research

Monday, October 11, 2004 Posted: 2:07 AM EDT (0607 GMT)

After a riding accident left him paralyzed, Reeve worked for spinal cord research.

BEDFORD, New York (AP) -- Christopher Reeve, the star of the "Superman" movies whose near-fatal riding accident nine years ago turned him into a worldwide advocate for spinal cord research, died Sunday of heart failure, his publicist said. He was 52.

Reeve fell into a coma Saturday after going into cardiac arrest while at his New York home, his publicist, Wesley Combs, told The Associated Press by phone from Washington, D.C., on Sunday night.

Reeve was being treated at Northern Westchester Hospital for a pressure wound that he developed, a common complication for people living with paralysis. In the past week, the wound had become severely infected, resulting in a serious systemic infection.

"On behalf of my entire family, I want to thank Northern Westchester Hospital for the excellent care they provided to my husband," Dana Reeve, Christopher's wife, said in a statement. "I also want to thank his personal staff of nurses and aides, as well as the millions of fans from around the world who have supported and loved my husband over the years."

Reeve broke his neck in May 1995 when he was thrown from his horse during an equestrian competition in Culpeper, Virginia.

Enduring months of therapy to allow him to breathe for longer and longer periods without a respirator, Reeve emerged to lobby Congress for better insurance protection against catastrophic injury and to move an Academy Award audience to tears with a call for more films about social issues.

He returned to directing, and even returned to acting in a 1998 production of "Rear Window," a modern update of the Alfred Hitchcock thriller about a man in a wheelchair who becomes convinced a neighbor has been murdered. Reeve won a Screen Actors Guild award for best actor in a television movie or miniseries.

"I was worried that only acting with my voice and my face, I might not be able to communicate effectively enough to tell the story," Reeve said. "But I was surprised to find that if I really concentrated, and just let the thoughts happen, that they would read on my face. With so many close-ups, I knew that my every thought would count."

In his public appearances, he was as handsome as ever, his blue eyes bright and his voice clear.

"Hollywood needs to do more," he said in the March 1996 Oscar awards appearance. "Let's continue to take risks. Let's tackle the issues. In many ways our film community can do it better than anyone else. There is no challenge, artistic or otherwise, that we can't meet."

In 2000, Reeve was able to move his index finger, and a specialized workout regimen has made his legs and arms stronger. He has also regained sensation in other parts of his body.

TheFilmProphet
I accidentally made a thread about this in the off-topic forum so I decided to make it again where I meant to make it in the first place.

slayer
May he Rest in peace.

Who was a courageous fighter, and outstanding actor.

May he experience a positive passing into the other world.

Include a flower in your msn name to remember him.

TheFilmProphet
http://home.att.net/~montemusicman/Christopher_Reeve_Superman_Born__Sep._25_1952_NYC.jpg

TheFilmProphet
http://www.elainefineart.com/kaufman/kaufman_the_death_of_superman.jpg

TheFilmProphet
Nice words. If you visit this thread http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f61/t310466.html you will probably be very angry at these pople for what they said, I know I was.

Emma718
gosh..i can't believe he died

TheFilmProphet
yeah me either. This is a sad day.

TheFilmProphet
http://images.killermovies.com/forums/user_sigs/customsig_41296_Xt.gif

D-Double
Ah man, I thought he was going to hold on a little longer. Hearing the news about him moving his fingers a while ago made me real happy for him. I hope he didn't suffer. My hat goes off to Christopher Reeve. My heart goes out to his family and the millions of us fans who grew up watching him save the world. Rest in peace, my friend.

"What a brilliant future we could have. And, there will be peace. There will be peace when the people of the world want it so bad that their governments will have no choice but to give it to them....I just wish you could see earth like I see it. Because when you think about it, it's really just one world."
-Superman

TheFilmProphet
I'm sure I and all others appreciate your comforting words. I had hoped so much that he would live at least a few more years. We just lost Rodney Dangerfield and now Christopher. This is truly a sad day for us all.

TheFilmProphet

KillTheLight
awwww that is pretty tragic news.I seriously cant believe he's dead. I used to love the superman movies when i was really young.

Kella
cry Goodbye Superman....we love you.

Cinemaddiction
Not going to get all sappy, as he honestly wasn't much of an actor, just a memorable one for a memorable role. Nonetheless, he's one of my favorites, and I've got fond memories of Halloween 1983 when I went out as the Man of Steel.

"Well, so long,Frisky" - Superman (1978) wink

LoSt_
anyone have a pic? I have no idea who the heck he is.

TheFilmProphet
Me either. He was truly a legend, hero, and a role model.

TheFilmProphet
Words by Senator John Kerry (Presidential Candidate) on what has happened.

Kerry Comments

``We lost a man who was truly America's hero,'' Kerry said today in a statement. ``He was an inspiration to all of us and gave hope to millions of Americans who are counting on the life- saving cures that science and research can provide.''

``He met every challenge with a courage and character that broke new ground in this struggle,'' Kerry said. ``Because he had the strength to carry this cause, I know one day that we will realize that inevitable dream.''

In 2002, Reeve helped set up the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Resource Center in New Jersey to help provide information for paralyzed people and those caring for them.

``I'm heartbroken that he will not have the opportunity to benefit from some of the therapies he pushed so hard for,'' Dr. Wise Young of Rutgers University, a spinal-cord researcher who treated Reeve, said in an interview with Cable News Network. ``He was first and foremost an advocate for hope and a cure for spinal- cord injury.''

Also:

In last week's debate against President George W. Bush, Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry cited Reeve as a supporter of controversial stem-cell research.

KillTheLight
sad

TheFilmProphet
ABC 20/20 Tribute to Christopher Reeve Tonight!
Source: ABC
October 11, 2004

ABC has announced it will be showing a special 20/20 tribute to the one and only Superman, Christopher Reeve, tonight:

Barbara Walters hosts a special 20/20 tribute to Christopher Reeve, featuring some of the most memorable moments from Walters' interviews with Reeve and his incredible legacy. The special airs tonight at 8 p.m. ET and following Monday Night Football on the West Coast.

Don't miss this special look at one of the most incredible persons to have ever lived.

Mr Parker
as I said over in the general discussion section.Sad to see the man who made you believe that a man could fly is dead now.He was quite an inspiration to all people with spinal cord injurys.sad to see the man who brought us the greatest comicbook movie ever to the screen gone now. sad

TheFilmProphet
I agree. His greatness will never be replaced.

fini
yes he only played Superman in the movies but he will always BE SUPERMAN in my eyes.

God bless Chris, we will miss you, but i will not weep for you are going home where you will fly.

TheFilmProphet

Darth Vicious
He will be Missed!

Havoc470
it was only a matter of time, i hate to see him go along with the thousands of other celebrities these past years, but it happens all the time, except he was famous

TheFilmProphet
Indeed

TheFilmProphet
October 12, 2004: Metropolis Illinois to Honor Christopher Reeve
Metropolis Illinois, the home of Superman, is planning a Candle light vigil in memory of Christopher Reeve.

The candle light vigil will be held on Wednesday evening at 7.00pm at Superman Square in front of the Superman statue.

If you cannot attend, the organizers have asked that instead of sending flowers that you make a donation to the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/real-world/metropolis-illinois/festival2003/IMG_0008.JPG

TheFilmProphet
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/chris-reeve-movies/tribute-davies.gif

slayer
You Will Be Missed.

We had a tribute on TV Friday.

TheFilmProphet
Yes he will be missed indeed.

I also saw that tribute on TV it was sad.

Jackie Malfoy
I saw that he dead on the news and I was pretty upset.I mean he is a good actor and he lived for along time in a wheelchair.
I pray for his soul that he found happiness and peace before he dead.I really hope so."Look in the sky it is a bird it is plane no it is superman!"You will be missed by all your fans superman for ever!JM sad

TheFilmProphet
So do I.

~AlluNeedIsLuv~
I'm soo upset... I loved Christopher Reeve

TheFilmProphet
It made me deeply sad and I still can't believe it has happened.

Bryan Singer the director of the new Superman film had said in an interview before his passing that they were planning to cast Reeve in the new Superman film (not as Superman) and have him walk by using some type of CGI. He also still had a recurring role as Dr. Swan in Smallville, a TV show based on Superman's early years. The latest project he was working on was an animation film called "Yankee Irving" which centers on a father and his baseball-playing son who overcomes personal obstacles to realize his dreams. He continued to work on this film just days before his unfortunate death.

MISSME
We will miss him....

TheFilmProphet
We all will.

Also for those of you who don't know yet, Reeve was cremated on October 14th.

TheFilmProphet
Send a Tribute to the Reeve Family
Source: Jim Bowers - CapedWonder
October 19, 2004

Jim Bowers at CapedWonder is putting together a very special Tribute Portolio for the Reeve family. He asked SHH to help spread the word.

Please let everyone know that I will be preparing a leather bound
tribute portfolio for the Reeve family that will contain letters and artwork from fans. I will be mailing it directly to Dana Reeve at her New York home, so she will absolutely receive it (no publicists, agents, etc will see it). I welcome fans to write to me (and/or you can forward some of your best) with letters and artwork (high res as possible so the print reproduction will be excellent - I can take TIFF's high re JPEG's, EPS's, PNG, etc).

I know the family will greatly appreciate everything, as Chris always did when I sent him gifts. The "best of" will also appear on my tribute page on CapedWonder.com

Thanks,
Jim Bowers

http://capedwonder.com/

TheFilmProphet
Superman's last hours

October 22, 2004

THE widow of Superman star Christopher Reeve has spoken for the first time of their final hours together.

Dana Reeve reflected on her husband's life and death in a touching letter sent to friends and supporters.

The tribute gives a poignant insight into the actor's determination to live as normal a life as possible after he was paralysed from the neck down in a riding accident.

Reeve, who became an activist for the disabled, died at the age of 52.

In her letter Mrs Reeve wrote: "On Saturday, October 9, Chris spent his last day of consciousness doing what he loved to do.

"He left a long phone message for Senator John Kerry lending his support and encouragement. He attended one of Will's hockey games, cheering as they won a huge victory, bursting with pride as Will was presented with the game puck for his outstanding playing that day.

"He and I spent the early evening on the phone and then he watched the Yankees game with Will and gobbled up one of his favourite meals, turkey tetrazini."

During the night he fell into a coma. He died from heart failure the next day at Northern Westchester Hospital, New York.

Dana Reeve said her husband remained cheerful, excited about the release of a film he directed, The Brooke Ellison Story. Despite suffering from pressure sores, he did not complain.

Mrs Reeve, his wife of 12 years, continued: "Late that night, weakened by infection and the barrage of maladies which can accompany paralysis, his body failed him.

"At only 52, it was far too soon. There was much he still wanted to accomplish. There was much his children had yet to learn from him.

"It is completely unfair, but life can be that way."

Mrs Reeve said her family had remained happy.

"These nine and a half years for our family have been blessed with joy, laughter and lessons learned," she said.

"Chris gave us all a precious gift by living the life he did, and despite the inherent difficulties of living with disability and illness on an ongoing basis or even, perhaps, because of the very nature of this life, our family has remained happy, intact, focused and deeply connected."

Up to 900 people are expected to attend a service at the Juilliard School, New York, next Friday.

Reeve studied acting there after completing an undergraduate degree in Dramatic Arts at Cornell University. In 1978 he starred in Superman, the first of four films to bring him international stardom.

He was paralysed when his horse baulked at a rail jump in May, 1995.

The actor campaigned for funding and research into spinal cord injuries through the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation. It has awarded millions of dollars in grants to neuroscientists.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-10/22/xinsrc_1221001221509843995145.jpg

TheFilmProphet
http://www.cocs.com/gallery/superman75_phoebik.jpg

FoamyFan
dude i know he died...it's sad..i am young..never cared abotu superman...but dude was cool..SO DON'T RUB TI IN THAT HE IS DEAD...YOUR NOT MAKING US FEEL ANY BETTER sad

TheFilmProphet
Well I'm sorry if I made you feel bad in any way, but it was not my intention. I am merely trying to pay tribute to Reeve.

FoamyFan
i know you are...sad but it is so sad he is dead sad sad sad sad sad

TheFilmProphet
I agree

We will always miss him.

FoamyFan
yep.......BUT! lets party he is not sick anymore!

banyey
banan2
awh
we will still miss him tho crying1

TheFilmProphet
Yeah but he didn't even get a chance to benefit from his own research.

FoamyFan
true...but all i knew was that superman was dead...and that alone was a let down to me sad how could this happen to him? my hero....i mean...i didn't watch his films or anything....but i do remember seeing one..and dad gave me the rest of his comic books..i read one about him.......i was like "wow...this dude is awesome..i am going to start watching some of the old movies"

banbored

TheFilmProphet
I agree, I still can't believe it happened.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.