Doomsday killed Superman...Should not have happened

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Supra
Why did this happen, there was no Big K involved, no nothing it was just a strength match. Superman is impervious to physical attacks if No K involved, or at least should be cause thats what his fater and the comics said.

Also in the comic, Supe never went super speed, he could have just doged all of Doomsdays attacks and he would have never gotten him. Then as Supe likes to do is throw stuff into the Sun, he could have just grabbed doomsday and done just that, but he did not. He could have also just thrown him into outerspace, and let him come back down and burn up in the atmosphere. He did none of those

What were doomsdays powers? Just Strength and hardness. Nothing Else, matched with supes....super strength, super speed, heat vison, freeze breath, super breath, invinsibility, aurora power shell from the yellow sun, smartest man on the earth,x-ray vision.

This makes no sense to me.

My question is why he died, and why the comic writers let this happend, and the only reason I can see why he died was that they wanted him to, and with a little research ....THEY DID!!

Read This

http://www.geocities.com/mbrown123/superman75.html

David Duchovony
They did it to sell comics duhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! That issue is still one of the best selling issues of Superman and comics in general. And Superman did try flying Doomsday away from the earth and used his heat vision on him multiple times. Doomsday was also Kryptonian so he possesed the same strength Superman did. He also can keep coming back to life invunerable to the means that killed him before. Superman is NOT the smartest man on earth and Doomsday had superspeed as well.

TheFilmProphet
true

CoolWizard
Yeh Doomsday turned out to be some kind of doomsday weapon (hence the name) and was more than a match for Superman. It was done to sell comics, yes, but it was also an event that rarely happens in modern culture these days.

Supra
Well if he did take him to outer space how did he not die? Doomsday could not fly. Supe killed him so he obviously can not keep comming back to life.

If he is from Kypton how did he all the sudden just appear? Years later? Why in the comic did he not have the same powers as supe?

Supra
smile

CoolWizard
I was told by a friend, who has followed the storylines since the Death of Superman and the Reign of the Supermen, that Doomsday somehow escaped the destruction of Krytpon and ended up on earth.
But I do't think he was meant to fight Superman at all, that was not what he was programmed for. Apparently since then, he has indeed survive as he does not need to breathe, and has had a rematch or two with the revived Man of Steel.
In fact, according to my friend, Doomsday is gradually gaining intelligence, and now recognises his arch foe.
But I cant confirm or deny any of this, as this is second hand information. wink

Supra
WEll doomsday is dead, superman killed him, so i dont see how he is gaining intelligence. And I have not seens any comics of this sort to prove this.

CoolWizard
My friend could give you more accurate details, but let me ask you a question: Have you been following the different storylines (ie Kingdom Come, Zero hour) since Reign of the Supermen? If so, then you know more than I do. If not, then that would explain why you have not heard about it. smile

cultbasher
Doomsday is still living. in Reign of the Supermen after the cyborg Superman throws Doomsday into space Doomsday opens his eyes and laughs. Also in Joker's Last Laugh, President Luthor helps the Joker Jokerize Doomsday. But now Doomsday has some feeling and knows what pain is and is more afraid than he was when he fought Superman. After Doomsday went on a rampage in Washington D.C. Superman defeated him and told Luthor not to let him out agian. Yeah. Doomsday is still around.

David Duchovony
Read and be enlightened.
History:
Doomsday was a creature born of genetic manipulation a long time ago. A scientist named Bertron had set up a laboratory on a distant and deadly world. There he and his team performed experiments on a living embryo. They ejected a living embryo into the harsh atmosphere, where it died instantly. The scientists then retrieved the embryo and regrew it in a regeneration pod, then repeated the process.

The experiment lasted for years. After several iterations, the creature developed the ability to survive in the planet's harsh atmosphere, only to be devoured by the vicious aliens which inhabited the world. Again and again Bertron and his team retrieved the remains of their project, which Bertron referred to as The Ultimate, and again and again The Ultimate was reborn and reinsterted into the atmosphere. And with each death and rebirth, The Ultimate retained the knowledge of its previous lives and learned from them.

Finally, after many many years of deaths and rebirths, The Ultimate became all that its creator envisioned. The Ultimate cleansed the entire planet of hostile life, and then came after Bertron. The Ultimate had retained all knowledge of its previous versions, including the knowledge and the face of the one person who continued to torment it.

The Ultimate fled from that hostile and harsh world by boarding one of the frequent supply ships which had enabled Bertron's experiment to continue for so long. From there he went on a world-by-world rampage, until he was finally killed on the peaceful planet Colu. The Coluans, unaware of The Ultimate's regenerative powers, buried it as they would one of their own--wrapped in green cloth and chained to a block of stone. The Coluans sent the stone into space, where it wandered for who knows how long a time before crash landing on Earth many years ago.

It began in a field several hundred miles outside of Metropolis, on a warm sunny afternoon. A low rumbling could be heard, growing louder and louder. Finally the source of this noise was revealed: a large, hulking behemoth, wrapped in green fabric and cables. This huge monster did not speak but instead began a murderous and seemingly random rampage.

The Justice League were the first to go up against this monster, who was quickly able to beat them all senseless. Superman arrived and found himself up against a being of such strength and mindless rage as he had never encountered before. This was Doomsday, and Superman's battle with him would prove to be his most difficult.

The monster Doomsday made his way towards the city of Metropolis, cutting a swath of destruction in his wake. Superman followed, and there, on the streets of the City of Tomorrow, right in front of the Daily Planet, the two fought a pitched battle. Onlookers were amazed and frightened to see the Man of Steel hurt, bruised, bleeding, and seemingly unable to subdue Doomsday. Windows shattered with the force of their blows, and the streets and buildings were torn to rubble. Then, finally, horribly, it happened. Although the Man of Steel was able to finally subdue and destroy the beast, the toll on his own body was too much. As the monster Doomsday fell to the ground, lifeless, so too did Superman.

The death of Superman was felt by all, but there was one individual who took it more personally even than the Man of Steel's closest friends. Lex Luthor had sworn that he would be the one who would kill Superman, and the monster Doomsday had beat him to the punch.

Doomsday's body was taken to Cadmus Laboratories for study, but one of the five Supermen who arrived in the wake of the true Superman's death arrived and removed the carcass into outer space. There the pretender Superman strapped the dead Doomsday to an asteroid and threw it deep into space. It floated there, lost among the stars, for a considerable time before a passing space freighter took note of the asteroid's mineral content. The freighter pulled the asteroid into her loading dock before realizing what was attached to it. The crew rushed to jettison the monster, but it was too late. Horribly, inexplicably, Doomsday came to life and slaughtered the ship's crew.

The ship, as it turns out, was en route to Apokolips, homeworld of the galactic despot Darkseid. The ship landed on autopilot and Doomsday emerged and began laying waste to the inhabitants of this new world. Even the great Darkseid himself proved vulnerable to the rampaging terror of Doomsday, his dread Omega Beams having no effect.

Meanwhile, back on Earth, the true Superman had returned from the dead. He learned of Doomsday's return and presence on Apokolips. Enlisting the aid of Waverider of the Linear Men, Superman travelled to Darkseid's homeworld to again do battle with Doomsday.

This unstoppable monster, who not only returned to life after each supposed killing but evolved past it, preventing the same method from proving lethal twice was the being Superman was travelling to face a second time.

On Apokolips, Superman and Waverider encountered Doomsday again, and also the traitorous Cyborg. Superman dealt with the Cyborg, with Darkseid's assistance. Waverider, curious to know the monster's true motivation, peered into Doomsday's mind and saw with horror that though the beast looked at Superman, the being it saw was Bertron! Waverider and Superman realized that the world Bertron had chosen to carry out his experiments was Krypton, and that it was Bertron's influence that sparked the Kryptonians' interest in genetic manipulation.

The battle on Apokolips was fierce. Even with the aid of a Mother Box, a living computer given him by Orion, Superman found himself unable to defeat Doomsday a second time. Finally, in desperation, Superman used one of Waverider's time/space travel devices to transport Doomsday to the End of Time, where the natural forces of entropy would quickly and finally defeat the monster.

Or so it was thought.

Doomsday surfaced yet a third time to menace the Man of Steel, and this time the rampaging monster was guided by an intelligence as sinister as it was vast. Superman learned to his horror that the monster Doomsday was inhabited by the consciousness of his foe Vril Dox, also known as Braniac.

This third encounter happened as Superman was trying to do a favor for his old friend and childhood sweetheart, Lana Lang, now married to Pete Ross. Lana's baby had been born prematurely, and needed to be taken to a major city hospital if he had any hope of survival. Lana persuaded Superman to make the trip, but along the way he was attacked by the newly intelligent Doomsday. Doomsday/Brainiac stole the young child, intending to use it as a new vessel to house Braniac's consciousness.

This time Superman knew what to do. Enlisting the aid of the JLA, Superman forced Doomsday/Brainiac into a teleportation tube, one of the many which the JLA used to travel back and forth from their headquarters on the moon. Then, before the monster could re-orient himself, Superman activated a perpetual loop between several of the transporter tubes. The tubes' frequencies were set to different levels, so that Doomsday would never fully materialize in any one of them long enough to escape or be freed.

This was the fate Superman designed for both Doomsday and Braniac: an eternity of perpetual motion, never resting in one transporter tube for very long, never completely there at any time. Unfortunately, Braniac was able to save his own consciousness at the last second, downloading himself into a new form, Braniac 2.5. cool

TheFilmProphet
Wow thats alot of info eek!

ABS420
Wow I am enlightened. Thanks for the massive article.

Lord-of-Dreams
He died for one reason: to sell comics. First of all, they had the five part series about Doomsday. Then they brought both he and Supes back... Blahblahblah!!!! Also, I think it was probably to show the readers that Supes is not completely invincable. And kryptonite is no longer his only threat. See??? That's my 10$$(The amount I paid for all the Superman vs Doomsday comics I own wink)

moises
have any of you seen the cartoon network version were the super heroes of a nother
dimension arrives to the justice leage dimension and try to take over there prep.

well my point is that in this episode, the superman from the other dimension beats Doomsday just by frying his brains with his lasser.

jinzin
after what david d said: lex luthor was able to get DD to help superman fight, parrelax, DD got disintegrated in the fight, but later remerged in a tomb of lex's DD was then jokerized and began an onslaught towards the whight house to kill the pres (I don't remember if it was luthor or not) However, DD became a sentient being and could now speak and logically think, he was afraid of death and hence afreaid of supes. (THIS FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES IS NEARLY A DIFFERENT CREATRUE THAN DD ALLTOGETHER AND SHOULD BE REFFERED TO AS DOOMSDAY REX). after superman beat DD down he did tell luthor not to let him out again,,,,,,,but of coarse luthor did what was in his best interests and bartered DD's body to Darkseid. During the massive assault from earth's heroes in apocolypse now, DDrex came forth to fight some of them and eventually was devolved into a hlpless baby form, i can't remember if he got zapped all the way back to primordial ooz but I guess I'll have to read the comic again, then after that fight, Darkseid constructed an entire army of DD's for he JLA to fight once again. The DD army is still in the process of construction.

Tron
Doomsday was in a JLU episode already?

Ironman
not unlimited in justice league hes gonna be in unlimited i saw it on a comercial and yes superman dying was great it gave birth to my FAVE SUPERMAN THE ERADICATOR. hes totally bad ass the visor and the suit is awesome i wish i had that suit its cool.

jinzin
yeah supes "labotimized" him with heat vision, (he was already sentient) what a load of crap.

Ironman
^^^^^what he saud. yeah it was crap doomsday was done poorly in that

dami wilson
I DONT KNOW WHO THIS DOOMSDAY is but I suspect the reason was to sell comics which they made alot of profits from. Then broguth him back to make more.

kneehigh2Agh
David...Wow! many of us cast our geeky crowns at your feet! Now, can somebody please help me find the cartoon they had in the 80's Superpowers? It was so much better than "Superfriends" I think it was darker!

Joker1237
so Doomsday will kill supes tomrrow on JLU??? I think it might be great for story line thing lol

black_goku#1
i have to disagree. it was time thats supes power be destroyed or limited in some way. killing him in a battle with pure strength shows a human quality our wonder boy lacked. weakness

black_goku#1
wait uh i meant what i said wrong place though

iamwarpath
The recent episode of JLU, Doomsday was explanned to be a creation of humans, made from Superman's DNA and brainwashed to think that Superman was his enemy....to be a fail-safe if superman went rouge. I hated that explanation. I thought it was the biggest piece of non-sense and crap out there. It's really cool how that cartoon show shows us the characters from all over the DC Universe but it's ridicous how they manipulate the story lines or the way they stay away from what we read in the comics.

Bardock42
Doomsday is cool, only bad thing aboot that comic was that Supes came back. Steel the Eradicator and Superboy would have been absolutely enough

Mace Skywalker
I hate that stupid ass comic. Killing supes was a horrible idea.

black_goku#1
it was the best idea! i agree doomsday in jlu pissed me off. he even was intelligent! the hel is that crap? batman was cool in that episode though.cool

pr1983
scuse me?

superman will be still going when most heroes are long gone...

Bardock42
No he is just not cool any more, I think he stopped being cool siometimes beetween 1939 and 1939 so well he had his moments didn'T he.

kanis
alien It doesn't matter anyway superman came back sronger and when he had an rematch he beat doomsday and trapped him.

Bardock42
This was so bad, actually it was more kind of cheating though

pr1983
you don't have to be cool to be a great hero...

Ironman
man the eradicator getting blown in the chest by cyborg was crap eradicator is basicly superman but stronger and more smarter and looks cooler and should have kept the last son of krypton suit and...

Joker1237
Supes still is cool today,

But not as cool as Batman lol

TJEscobar
I so agree with you. Superman has everything and is an alien to Earth. Batman represents everything about how humanity may not have physical powers but has the mental prowess to survive. Not to mention a belt with extra dimensional space. Batman is the lifeblood of the Justice League. Yea, a mortal runs the league of heroes.

pr1983
not true, batman was voted out...

superman is more the leader than anyone...

Bardock42
Well if I have to be rescued I'd probably chose Supes over every other heroe (except for Batsy) but that won't make me buy his comics (at least not anymore)

Joker1237
I got Superman Vol 1, and well I try and try but I cant free disk 2 from its case, its stuck there.

I already broke the button thing.

CD 1 is coming in and out find.

BUT NOOO not CD 2 lol. If I free it, I hope I dont break it in the process.

Hegemon875
The history channel had a thing on comics one day and said that the comic book makers wanted their storyline to sync with the TV show marriage of lois and clark, so they had a several month gap or something. So Doomsday was created as a gimmick to fill that gap.

Hegemon875
Im not sure but are those elseworlds cause if they are they are not part of the actualy supes continuity.

Bardock42
Kingdom Come is

Zero Hour isn't

Alpha Centauri
The fact that there are 90 different versions of Superman kinda spoils it for me to be honest.

He's DC's flag bearer and he's had multiple incarnations rather than just "Superman".

-AC

BlackC@t
I have the comic were Doomsday kills Superman, called 'The Death of Superman' cool

Bardock42
So do I cool

Anyway Supes is pretty lame. I think they should kill him, he has no reason to life anyway. I think Martian Manhunter is better faster stronger more beautiful and all in all just way cooler. And so is Batman and every other single DC comic figure.

Kento
Eh Supes Death was okay....but what wasn't was making Doomsday fear death. That was just dumb.

BlackC@t
My copy has never been opened, and I intend on keeping it that way.

pr1983
Originally posted by Bardock42

Anyway Supes is pretty lame. I think they should kill him, he has no reason to life anyway. I think Martian Manhunter is better faster stronger more beautiful and all in all just way cooler. And so is Batman and every other single DC comic figure.

in your opinion...

superman has saved the planet more times than most heroes, he even sacrificed his life to save everyone, including batman and the other 'cooler' characters.

superman is THE superhero, everybody knows who he is...

no matter how 'lame' you think he is he's still one of the few people that almost every dc character respects, batman included...

when the shit hits the fan and all hope seems lost who do they turn to? yes, superman...

his reason to live is simple, to save the world and shag a stunning woman...

not bad at all...

wuTa
i dont like superman but gawd damnit do i respect him......i stole that line from anchorman...but its true....i dont like him

eleveninches
So do I cool

Anyway Supes is pretty lame. I think they should kill him, he has no reason to life anyway. I think Martian Manhunter is better faster stronger more beautiful and all in all just way cooler. And so is Batman and every other single DC comic figure. Well, I think they should kill spider man off, but thats not very likely for marvel to do that, is it???

King Burger
I don't see the big deal in Superman being beaten to death.
Afterall, he's been punched before. He's been kicked before.
he's been knocked down before. So why can't he then be
punched, kicked, and knocked down enough times to die?

It wasn't like he's never been touched before.

And yes, Superman is still number one ass-kicker among all
comic book heros.

Hegemon875
Originally posted by King Burger
And yes, Superman is still number one ass-kicker among all
comic book heros.

Are you crazy, you're liable to get shot saying something like that in the vs forum. laughing

But I totally agree with THAT part of your post.

Hegemon875
So do I cool

wow, i guess ignorance is bliss. You do know that he is the DEFINITION of what a hero is, super or otherwise, he is the archetypical superhero, all other superheroes, DC, Marvel, or otherwise are subsequent copies and or variations of him.

Calynx
lol i kinda find it true that superman isn't the smartest guy in the world,

thats probably loads of times when he could have used his brain rather than his brawn.

Hegemon875
youre right at least in postcrisis DC precrisis he was an uber genius.

pr1983
he's actually incredibly intelligent...

he's a journalist... and a good one...

but if he always used his brains he'd always win...

eleveninches
Kingdom Come is

Zero Hour isn't
KC is NOT part of regular continuity.
Zero Hour Is part of regular continuity (from the rebirth of the universe onwards)

DrDoom
They were talking about Elseworlds eleveninches.

He said KC was Elseworlds and 0 Hour wasn't, which is correct.

And yes, Superman shouldn't have been killed. It cheapened his character IMO, much like when DC decided that crippling and replacing Batman was a good idea *shudder*.

DC only did it to boost sales. At least we got Emerald Twilight out of it, but now DC has regressed and brought back Hal Jordan (and it looks like they are gonna off Kyle Rayner in the NEW "Crisis"wink so the Death,Return, and Reign of (the) Superman was all for naught.

eleveninches
Death of Superman showed that ANYBODY in DC could be killed, and made the readers less sure as to who will win in a fight from then on. It made it far more interesting

DrDoom
Everyone's entitled to thier opinion.

They hyped the crap out of "The Death of Superman" same with "Knightfall". After reading those I never said "oh man, they might kill Batman next, mebbe even Wonder Woman( even though they did later wink)".

The only three comics that ever made me say "man, who's going down next?" were Aquaman's "death" in Our Worlds at War , Firestorm's death during Identity Crisis, and when Wonder Man blew himself up real good in Force Works.
Funny thing is, all three of these characters were revived--Aquaman and Firestorm less than two years after they bought the farm. The new Firestorm's sales are flagging so DC has already allowed Ronnie to reappear (albeit bodiless) in that comic. These guys are like MC Peepants! rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing

Someone would have to be crazy to think that DC would permanently kill off one of their "big three"--even after Superman "died". Only B-listers and sidekicks aren't safe in the DCU, and then even they will eventually be brought back (look at Hal Jordan and Metamorpho--even Donna Troy is going to come back).

Having a hero die only to bring them back 1-5 years later only cheapens their sacrifice, it doesn't make people care about the characters more IMO.

Only two times has a hero come back in a way that didn't cheapen their death: Hal Jordan and Colossus. That's it.

The only superhero deaths that I respect are Barry Allen, Colossus,Phoenix (the first time)Synch (who really shouldn't have died), and Hawkeye's (so far).

A major death is planned for DC's new Crisis (my money's on Kyle Rayner, Nightwing, POSSIBLY Martian Manhunter). We'll see how long they stay dead.

eleveninches
DC and MARVEl have retconned deaths or brought the dead back to life SO many times

Bardock42
Originally posted by eleveninches
KC is NOT part of regular continuity.
Zero Hour Is part of regular continuity (from the rebirth of the universe onwards)

This is exactly what I said

Kingdome come is (an elseworld)
Zero Hour isn't (an elseworld)

But Dr. Doom is right there are not many deaths that are actually worth to respect....I would add the Hal Jordan Death though...evemn though he came back but that was just cool.

And there are two good things aboot the Death of Superman first Doomsday is great and second Emerald Twilight.

jinzin
"These guys are like MC Peepants! "

hahahaha.......except without the diaper! lol.

DrDoom
Well, Superman looks like he's wearing a bloody diaper...

Yeah, Bardock Doomsday is the only other good thing to come out of Supe's death. Good thing they made him smart in Action Comics.

DrDoom
Oh yeah, I didn't include Hal's death because Hal didn't really choose to die.

Parallax did it to help it/himself(check out Rebirth for the 411).

Spiderman_RJ
what i hated on this comic ( i loved supes death) is the the supergirl, dies instantly by desintegration.......ridiculous

DrDoom
You mean in Superman/Batman?

Spiderman_RJ
dunno
the one it happens

DrDoom
I guess that's the one then.

BTW:
She aint dead.

Cosmic Cube
Doomsday didn't become immune to certain types of attack, he became resistant. He did have superspeed, but nowhere near Superman or Flash. He jumped extremely fast.

Superman is not "impervious to attack." Just ask Ultraman.

TheFanboy
It was Doomsday killing Superman stroyarc that really got me into the Superman comics so I'm glad it happend, opened up a lot of great moments for DV having Big Blue dead for a short time.

Goldenskull777
Originally posted by ABS420
Wow I am enlightened. Thanks for the massive article.
laughing

BB_hawk
Really Doomsday didn't kill Superman he was in a state that mirrored death hibernation if you would if you like that better and when they was fighting Superman put Doomsday down on the ground first and when Doomsday didn't get up Superman fell and everyone thought he was dead and they put Superman in the ground. smokin'

Fanboy
Doomsday is kryptonian he sucks up the Solar energys if he was thrown into the sun nothing would happen.

Jack Daniels
Superman PRIME? only info I can find on net about him is on wikipedia....anywhere else thats official not just b.s.? please pm me if you post something on that thanks

The Last Son
Originally posted by pr1983
in your opinion...

superman has saved the planet more times than most heroes, he even sacrificed his life to save everyone, including batman and the other 'cooler' characters.

no matter how 'lame' you think he is he's still one of the few people that almost every dc character respects, batman included...

when the shit hits the fan and all hope seems lost who do they turn to? yes, superman...

not bad at all...

That was the finest post I have ever read. I totally agree Superman is the best and has the good qualities lost now days.

JediMasterLuke5
Well Superman ends up beating Doomsday in another anyway dont he? Also doesnt Doomsday get killed by Imperiex anyway?

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by Fanboy
Doomsday is kryptonian he sucks up the Solar energys if he was thrown into the sun nothing would happen.

Doomsday isn't Kryptonian. He was spliced with Kryptonian DNA, giving him his strength. He doesn't have all of a Kryptonian's powers (flight, heat vision, speed, etc.)

olympian
But superman has those powers because his genes wer changed by his father to give him the ability to soak our yellow suns sunlight, no?

Or did that all changed with the recent birthright mini. I know they wrote back some pre crisis elements.

Post crisis the kriptonians didnt had supes powers also.

Fanboy
Wow Supra you really do not know? Doomsday was a kryptonian if he would have been thrown into the sun it would have charged him up Doomsday has been taking in the suns energy for so many years more then Superman that explains his overwhelming of strength Doomsday was said to be Faster then the Flash or some bullcrap Boostergold said. Doomsday strength also was enough to devastate Supermans at the time because of all that time to suck in the sun from earth all those years.

Hegemon875
Originally posted by Fanboy
Wow Supra you really do not know? Doomsday was a kryptonian if he would have been thrown into the sun it would have charged him up Doomsday has been taking in the suns energy for so many years more then Superman that explains his overwhelming of strength Doomsday was said to be Faster then the Flash or some bullcrap Boostergold said. Doomsday strength also was enough to devastate Supermans at the time because of all that time to suck in the sun from earth all those years.

Jesus you really dont read any other posts besides your own do you, DoomsDay is NOT a kryptonian.(at least I think thats what youre saying, who can tell with your horrible grammer)

"Doomsday was artificially created by Bertron, a mad scientist working on Krypton, Superman's home world, though neither he nor his creator were Kryptonian (although Bertron had used a cadre of Kryptonian scientists who assisted him in his lab). Doomsday hated Superman because whenever he looked at a Kryptonian, he saw his creator who had subjected him to death over and over again in order to create the perfect life form. In order to do this, they sent a baby onto the surface of Krypton, where it would be killed by the harsh environment or vicious creatures. Each time, the lifeform's remains were harvested and used again, to create a better, stronger version of the last. Through decades of this process, the being which would eventually become Doomsday was forced to endure the agony of death, thousands upon thousands of times; the memory of these countless deaths drove it to hate all life, and especially Kryptonians"

-Wikipedia

Fanboy
So do I cool

Martian Manhunters strength is not faster or stronger then Superman Martian Manhunter is just a Superman wannabee according to some creators.

Jargon343
Originally posted by Cosmic Cube
Doomsday isn't Kryptonian. He was spliced with Kryptonian DNA, giving him his strength. He doesn't have all of a Kryptonian's powers (flight, heat vision, speed, etc.)

They just said that Bertron used a baby as the starting point for his experiment. They didn't say where they got the baby from but it was very human looking. Since Krypton at that point was only inhabited by horrible monsters we can assume he was not Kryptonian to begin with. however he did do most of his evolving on Krypton. If I'm not mistaken they placed the timeframe of his creation at about 150,000 years ago which makes it possible that he was a human baby to begin with smile

Also, to everyone saying they just made Supermans death to sell comics and make money; well, if you can think of any other reason that Marvel or DC would make comics I'd like to hear it smile

Since this thread was last posted on they made a really awesome Doomsday comic, involving Gog and a cognicient Doomsday helping superman, and eventually becoming the savior of Earth that Superman once was. It was really and awesome story and you should check it out if you can find it.

h1a8
Originally posted by Supra
Why did this happen, there was no Big K involved, no nothing it was just a strength match. Superman is impervious to physical attacks if No K involved, or at least should be cause thats what his fater and the comics said.

Also in the comic, Supe never went super speed, he could have just doged all of Doomsdays attacks and he would have never gotten him. Then as Supe likes to do is throw stuff into the Sun, he could have just grabbed doomsday and done just that, but he did not. He could have also just thrown him into outerspace, and let him come back down and burn up in the atmosphere. He did none of those

What were doomsdays powers? Just Strength and hardness. Nothing Else, matched with supes....super strength, super speed, heat vison, freeze breath, super breath, invinsibility, aurora power shell from the yellow sun, smartest man on the earth,x-ray vision.

My question is why he died, and why the comic writers let this happend, and the only reason I can see why he died was that they wanted him to, and with a little research ....THEY DID!!

Read This

Superman is not infinite. Otherwise he would be God.
There is a limit to the vulnerability of superman's concussive durability.
And Doomsday surpasses that limit. That is why he could hurt Superman. Second, Doomsday is as fast (or faster than) flash (not when flash is moving in another dimension though). This is a fact!
Many characters have said it in battle with Doomsday. Also, Doomsday caught up to and intercepted flash while flash was running at near full speed. Thus he can easily hit Superman and anyone else for that matter.
Doomsday is absolutely immune to all energy projection. Meaning that there is nothing Superman can do to him with his other powers (like heat vision, cold breath, etc.) The problem is that Superman wasn't suppose to kill him. He is far too superior to Superman. He's stronger, faster, more durable, and more agressive. And by the way, Doomsday can jump up to 50 miles in one leap. Hulk could only jump 3.

Femi32
Originally posted by h1a8
Second, Doomsday is as fast (or faster than) flash (not when flash is moving in another dimension though). This is a fact! Many characters have said it in battle with Doomsday. Also, Doomsday caught up to and intercepted flash while flash was running at near full speed. Thus he can easily hit Superman and anyone else for that matter.

You got scans of this. I'm not saying it didin't happen, but it's kind of hard to believe.

h1a8
Originally posted by Femi32
You got scans of this. I'm not saying it didin't happen, but it's kind of hard to believe.

I don't own the actual comics (Except Death of Superman) anymore. But I will definitely reorder them.
I believe they are:

Death of Superman
Doomsday Wars
The Hunter Prey books

I will try to give the scans from Death of Superman.
But if you have it then read:

the bottom of page 41 (Guy Gardener quote-A lantern).
superman's quote on page 65.
top of page 66 (booster gold quote)
and bottom picture on page 116 (jumping ability)

These are back up further by the other books though (Him catching Flash, etc.)

Demas
I think people forget how long ago the Death of Superman was. It took place in the beginning of 1993, only some 7 years from his Man of Steel reboot where he was pretty significantly depowered.

Compared to the distance from DoS to now, some 13+ years later during which Superman has consistently grown in power more and more, that is to say, Superman gained more power in the last 5 years than he did in the first 15 combined (which makes sense- the 11-15 year olds reading Silver Age Supes and Man of Steel, grow up to become the 30-somethings which control DC and make an effort to return some of those Silver Age aspects they remembered as children).

That was the trend of the era as even Wally/Flash only ran around super-sonic speeds and had a major metabolism handicap that required him to eat constantly to keep up his speed. So compared to today's power-levels, Doomsday outspeeding Flash or overcoming Superman's lesser invulnerability of the time, was fairly plausible. If current Supes faced off against that era's Doomsday, it would have easily gone to Superman.

As for dumping him in space. After tearing away most of Doomsday's green jumpsuit, that was the first thing he tried to do, but Doomsday was too quick and too strong and was able to twist out of Superman's grip...

redcaped
Okay here is the problem...you create something great in this case Superman but you don't live forever and someone else have to follow your work. After 70 years a living rock with the shape of a man appears from space in this case Doomsday...it is a name?...Anyway, this is plain stupid. A very old comic he fights a beast from Kripton..."The history of Superman" documentary.

Demas
I get what you're saying, but that's a seperate topic- whether, in the metatexual context, Superman should die and/or how it was handled (I was only addressing the internal logic of the event, like the OP). Personally, I tend to agree that it was overall handled pretty poorly for the long run... for the short term there was a ton of hype and many non-comic readers picked up the book, but on repeat readings years later, I don't feel the story is nearly as powerful as it could have- or should have- been.

That said, I don't blame DC for trying. He wasn't a 70-year old icon at the time, he was a semi-stagnating (to be fair, nearly all books were suffering during this period) character only recently rebooted a mere 7 years ago. It's a risk and though it wasn't as great as it should have been, it still is a landmark... consider this, how many of us are more familiar with his death at the hands of Doomdsay than at the hands of Luthor Pre-Crisis? Those PC tales, more or less, didn't leave a mark on the mythos. Better or worse, we do remember Doomsday.

Fanboy

Read This

I can answer one thing that if he would have thrown him into the sun he would have kept being charged.

redcaped
That sig must be 70 years old...U... If I were Superman this creature would not even stand. Superman always had a fragment of kryptonite...I make sure it swallows it.

Marcus4600
I do remember myself seeing Superman say that Doomsday was incredibly quick. Also, Doomsday isn't really a true kryptonian. His story is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_%28comics%29

SupezM'
Superman isnt a dumb guy, I mean he's built most of the stuff in his Fortress. Highly advanced equipment far beyond stuff on Earth, I think he's more naive and trusting then dumb.

Too much of a good boy scout which gets him beat up a lot, but he knows it and continues to live that way. Main reason he gets so much respect, he's one of the most powerful beings in the universe and yet so gentle and caring.

systemshock2
I actually think it was a good thing. Overall it revitalized my interest in comic books, as well as many others. It suddenly made people realize that a superhero they probably took for granted for years was probably not going to return at all. Of course he was going to return, that was a given, but the purpose of it was to make people aware of him again, and it worked. And it had to be a new villain, one no one knew about so that the consumers would be kept completely in the dark, and would keep coming back for more any time something was mentioned about him. And I think they did a good job with Doomsday. Big ugly unstoppable monster. I think what worked was that you couldn't reason with him since he was just an unrelentless killing machine

GODOFALL1
Superman got DRUNK in Superman III, and hurt a lot of innocent people. He isn't near as pure or kind or gentle as other more powerful superhero's(DBZ) He was also killed by Doomsday b/c, well..........he is not the strongest being out there. There are many many stronger warriors with NO weaknesses that would wipe not only the floor with him but Doomsday as well.

SuperTrevor
You know, after hearing all this talk about Superman dying and stuff? He is invincible right? And Kryptonite is the only thing that can hurt him? Now, unless Doomsday shoved Kryptonite down his throat and chopped his body up into a million different pieces? I don't see how he could be killed? The death of Superman was made up for money, if the character actually Existed. He COULD NOT have been killed.

jgiant
Originally posted by SuperTrevor
You know, after hearing all this talk about Superman dying and stuff? He is invincible right? And Kryptonite is the only thing that can hurt him? Now, unless Doomsday shoved Kryptonite down his throat and chopped his body up into a million different pieces? I don't see how he could be killed? The death of Superman was made up for money, if the character actually Existed. He COULD NOT have been killed. superman isn't invincible, doomsday was just that powerful...your saying that galactus can't kill sups...

SuperTrevor
Is there anywhere that actually explains HOW he was killed except for the simple explaniations like he was worn out and he couldnt handle it? I mean did his heart just give out or what? As strong as Superman is? I understand doomsday is very powerful, but just them throwing everything they have into eachother doesnt explain how they died? I just dont understand how that could happen?

GODOFALL1
Dude, are you serious? Superman is cool, but he isn't invincible. There are many many warriors that are way more powerful than him. Galactus, Living Tribunal, Apocolypse, any top DBZ fighter.....understand? There are many heros/villians that would kill Superman. So, don't think its wierd he died. He just got his butt kicked. NO ONE is invincible....and there is always someone stronger. Superman is one of many great warriors, but he is by far no where near the greatest. So I dont see what the big deal is about him dying.

Kal875
I don't know if we established the fact that Doomsday was Kryptonian, but he was.

SuperTrevor
They did establish it, and He WASNT Kryptonian. There is a link in the resent pages. Find it and read about him. He didnt even have anything to do with Krypton.

Kal875
whatever

SuperTrevor
I agree with the title of this Forum though, He shouldnt have died....thats stupid

Thunderstrike
Uh, Doomsday is Kryptonian. He predates other sentient life there. Also, he has the natural ability to adapt past whatever he's fighting. Why do you think he counterracted the entire Justice League by himself? Superman even said he was having "a hard time contesting Doomsday's speed" so where's there any argument there. Besides, he never really "died" in the first place. He just got beat so close to death that it's ridiculous. More than likely the same thing will happen in Infinite Crisis 7. Besides, why whine about it? He's still around, and still the same guy. No big.

SuperTrevor
Wait, so Supe never literally died or did he? And you roghht, he is still around...good point, man, there are so many sides to Doomsday, i dont know what to believ, ive heard tons of difeerent stories...

Thunderstrike
I used to own the comics where it happened. He was kept alive by stuff in the Fortress of Solitude. He wasn't really dead. As for Doomsday, the guy's just a walking plot device. Even an avatar of Darkseid should have killed him. Meh.

SuperTrevor
Alright, hey, thanx alot man, i appreciate the help...

Thunderstrike
It's no problem. I'm not a huge Superman fan, but I do know the ins and outs of his universe.

jgiant
Doomsday=created on krypton, not kryptonian...

SuperTrevor
Ahh, good point...

GODOFALL1
Supermans weak....

SuperTrevor
Dude, how old are you? Is that all you can do is rag on other characters?
Goku is not the greatest, and he never will be. The greatest will never be known...that is a fact.

botcherby
Doomsday was able to Hurt Supes without Kryptonite because he was made on Krypton thus has the same abilities as supes roughly. As their power levels are the same, he is able to make supes bleed.

Also Doomsday's bones are razor sharp kryptonion made, again enabling him to cut supes like a rag doll.

I quite enjoyed the latest outing of Doomsday where with his new intelligence, when Gog "killed" superman, Doomsday became a Hero in the name of superman... and the end of the storyline almost brought a tear to my stone cold eyes when Doomsday whimpers "will I be a monster again?"

awww so sad... I hope Doomsday becomes a good ol' softie.

olympian
"Also in the comic, Supe never went super speed, he could have just doged all of Doomsdays attacks and he would have never gotten him."

The level of speed they displayed was even. Sure wasent a great one (nothing close to high speeds), but it was there and both showed it.

- - -

"Then as Supe likes to do is throw stuff into the Sun, he could have just grabbed doomsday and done just that, but he did not."

Let me ask you. How many times has Superman actually trew an opponent to the sun to win by BFR?

- - -

"He could have also just thrown him into outerspace, and let him come back down and burn up in the atmosphere. He did none of those"

In one of the last chapters he does try. Granted he picked him up and used flight to get him up there but that doesnt usually suceeded, because the opponent will struggle if awaken.

As to why he just didnt punched him out of orbit. Its clear. In that story he wasent strong enough to do that with such an opponent.

- - -

"What were doomsdays powers? Just Strength and hardness. Nothing Else, matched with supes....super strength, super speed, heat vison, freeze breath, super breath, invinsibility, aurora power shell from the yellow sun, smartest man on the earth,x-ray vision. "

Post crisis, Superman is hardly the smartest man on Earth. Your thinking pre crisis where he was genious lite.

Invisibility? You mean by moving that fast? He wasent anything like that by then.

He only started to boost himself from the sun, years later.

And if you see what characters like Hulk and Hercules have done, youll notice why what they have its enough to do that kind of damage.

As for winning, its another matter.

jasofisc
the easyest way to find out if some one is a fanboy is if they say their charater should never be beaten even by a charater that is showen to be more powerfull then they are or just as powerfull. supes has been beaten many many times this doesn't make him weak he has had some hyperbole type feats that I personaly concider PIS but he has done them that doesn't make him unbeatalbe.

AJ4LIFE
superman died because dd was very fast they said he was faster than flash but i doubt it so he was faster than supes proberly he tried to use speed and it wasnt efecting him much so he tried and its strength that done it speed coudnt

Syndicate_Lord
Look, I have read Superman: The Ultimate guide to the Man of Steel and here is what it says about Doomsady. note, this was written by comic writer Scott Beatty and is the official DC guide:

THE ULTIMATE DESTROYER

Doomsday was built to srvive at all costs.Any life form, no matter how small or harmless, was considered a threat by the so called Armageddon Creature. But doomsDay's delight in destruction was perhaps a result of the cruel experiments which created him. Ironically, the monster who killed Superman was himself engineered on Krypton several hundred thousand years ago!

BERTRON

Doomsday's "father" waas as emotionless as his monstrous child. nThe alien geneticist Bertron wished to create The Ultimate, a being who could survive any environment and even chet death itself! Bertron subjected his test infants to Krypton's harsh landscape and its savege, hungry denizens.

BAD TO THE BONE

Though it cost him his life, Bertron succeeded in making Doomsday's DNA so the creature could regenerate each time he was killed! Furthermore, doomsday would then "evolve" an immunity to whatever caused his previous demise! In his 2nd battle with superman, Doomsday surprised the Man of Steel by extruding his bony spiked knuckles as poisoned telescopic barbs!

DOOMSDAY'S DEMISE

When Imperiex threatened the Universe, the US government dispatched a "suicide squad" of super-villains to the Moon to retrieve Doomsday from his prison and use him as a weapon against the relentless creture. Doomsday destroyed several Imperiex Probes but was no match for Imperiex himself, who slew the moster in a cascade of cosmic fire!

THE NGHTMARE RETURNS

Superman believed Doomsday had been disintegrated once and for all by Imperiex, but the creature had regenerared once more! This time, however, he lay dormant and subdued in the bowels of the Pentagon... until released by the Joker! The next step in Doomsday's evolution was an even more fierce countenance and a quality the monster had lacked in every previous incarnation: intelligence! Doomsday was finally self-aware and able to understand, which at first seemed to make him even more deadly!
No longer mindless, the intelligent Doomsday felt doubt for the first time when Superman confronted him with the reality of his own mortality.

I hope that was a help, at least in exoplaining his origin as people seem to have no idea!

olympian
Neither DD or Supes wer using flash speed or above. That statement was proven false by the whole story.

Syndicate_Lord
Indeed... otherwise how could they get pictures of the actual fight?

olympian
yup.

And how could LL comment the way the whole fight was going?

How could it be seen at the tv?

They couldnt have been moving faster than the eye can see.

Syndicate_Lord
Well, Superman pot-crisis is only faster than sound, not light... at max...

Bazrox
His speed depends on the writer and situation. He's been written as capable of flying faster than light before. If I remember right, the reasoning for the power increase was to permit more stories based on space(thus the massive increase in lung capacity compared to the early 90's) and other planets.

The reason Doomsday killed him was because of comic politics. They needed to delay his marriage to coincide with that of the television show "Lois & Clark"'s marriage as well. They intended to use a pre-existing villain but later opted for an original character, which resulted in Doomsday.

The actual fight was described in an issue as having happened in super speed(My apologies in currently forgetting the reference), though not entirely so. Certain events in the book, along with any comic, are also prone to dramatic effect. The described giant crater(s?) they created from their punches should have killed anyone nearby, but it was more powerful of a scene if the citizens of Metropolis were nearby, much less his fiancee and colleagues from the Daily Planet. Same with DC being unable to afford having a major city completely destroyed from the fight.

superman41082
In retrospect, I don't look at it as Doomsday killing Superman. I see it as the writers and powers that be at DC comics taught everyone a lesson. It was the best marketing scheme in comic history and will never be topped!! It was more to show people that Superman is not a 'cheesy' character and help some former fans of Superman realize how much they actually liked Superman. To me, it was not a failure for Superman, but a monumental success. One of Superman's greatest triumphs....

hitemup
HELL NO THAT SHOULD OF NOT HAPPENED

redcaped
Today is Doom's day for me. I also bought the figure.

GODOFALL1
I can name 20 other superheros/supervillians that would kill Superman, so I don't see what the big deal is about Doomsday killing him.

MrHeavySilence
Originally posted by GODOFALL1
I can name 20 other superheros/supervillians that would kill Superman, so I don't see what the big deal is about Doomsday killing him.

The purpose in creating the comic was shallow. They wrote it for monetary reasons and to invoke empathy. You don't kill someone just so people feel sorry for them, that's lame.

Accel
Originally posted by MrHeavySilence
The purpose in creating the comic was shallow. They wrote it for monetary reasons and to invoke empathy. You don't kill someone just so people feel sorry for them, that's lame.
Every comic is written for monetary reasons. Sure, writers try to come up with good stories, but it's not like they don't want to earn as much money as they can from each comic.

For the most part, I believe that whenever a character is killed off, the writer who killed that character intends for him/her to never come back.

Jargon343
Originally posted by MrHeavySilence

THE MAN.

Shit, he's good!

Jargon343
Listen, it's misleading to say that Doomsday was 'created' on Krypton. Doomsday was 'evolved' on Krypton. What makes you from Earth? Your species evolved here. Doomsday evolved there. Doomsday is from Krypton.

GODOFALL1
Superman was brought back b/c of the "lows" that came about when he died. Did you know the stock market went down when he died???

HellMaster93
LOL...

Jargon343
The stock market churns every time GWB farts a wet one.

Dr. Zaius

Read This

Ok. While we're talking about this topic, can we all just agree that Superman having superspeed like the Flash is just too much as far powers go? Its fine if Supes can fly at incredible speed, or maybe its even ok if you can allow him to use short, intense bursts of speed in a straight line. But if you allow him to move and react like the Flash, you've basically made it impossible to beat him, or even create a threat that's even remotely manacing. In case you haven't noticed, most witers who tackle Superman stories act like he doesn't have the power, because, if used, it would completely destroy the plausibility of the villain's plan/scheme.

Think about it. If Superman can see and hear every threat from a mile away, react to it instantly and move at the speed of light, what villain would be left to stick around and fight? As soon as you fired a gun or said a dirty word, Supes would have you lobotomized or incarcerated.

He's already the most powerful being on the planet. Why do you have to give him Flash's abilities as well?

Up In Flames
You're right... Doomsday shouldnt have killed Superman...
I should've!!!

Rewmac
Doomsday in strenght was serious match to Superman...And in durability he went over him...So yes...Every hero dies once...

Sea King
Originally posted by Ming Tea!
They did it to sell comics duhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! That issue is still one of the best selling issues of Superman and comics in general. And Superman did try flying Doomsday away from the earth and used his heat vision on him multiple times. Doomsday was also Kryptonian so he possesed the same strength Superman did. He also can keep coming back to life invunerable to the means that killed him before. Superman is NOT the smartest man on earth and Doomsday had superspeed as well.

this is true so dont forget that anything from supermans home planet has the abilty to hurt him

sapphiremouse
Originally posted by pr1983
in your opinion...

not bad at all... Batman may respect superman but they have and always have diferrent outlook on situations. In last issue of World's Finest....Batman had to save superman's bacon. Quoting (superman)barely remember coming here....must have been unconscious... a long time. far too long. Scent of the hay...woke me up. It's a good smell. it used to waft to me on the morning breeze when i was a youngster in smallvile. Yes....ive spent of lot of good times living around places like thi---- (batman) You almost DIED in a place like this.
(superman)I guess i have you to thank for----- (batman) save it. I dont want to hear it. You wouldnt to be thanking me now ... if you'd handled the situation diferrently than the way you always do---flying right into the thick of things. You're faster than a speeding bullet... SLOW DOWN.. and USE that super-brain once in awhile. The night....the shadows.... those are my domain. the backstreets and back alleys.....they're my territory. leave them to an EXPERT. The world almost lost superman...because of his foolish impetuosity. Ill save your neck any time..but i wont write your epitaph. Think about it.

GODOFALL1
I can name atleast 10 other warriors that would wipe the floor with Superman, so I don't see what the big deal is about Doomsday killing him. smile

sapphiremouse
Originally posted by GODOFALL1
I can name atleast 10 other warriors that would wipe the floor with Superman, so I don't see what the big deal is about Doomsday killing him. smile you like to see yourself talk outloud, GODOFALL???? you already said that......or you just also bored? laughing

Anyways.....Superman was goin nowhere, so the writers came up with this death gimick to kick sales. The death of Superman was mentioned world wide, newspaper, tv, radio....it was a cheap circus. I can remember seeing a line at a local comic shop and these mommies were opening their check books for $50 a single #75 issue. This was when it first came out , i payed $2.50 each for my multiple issues at another store. Happy Dance

The story line was ok for something diferrent to read, but everyone here is analyzing it and picking it apart. Too many issues come to mind that yah Superman shouldnt have that tough of a time dealing with Doomsday.

Doomsday just jumps, but Superman couldnt even deal with him in mid-air. The writes of course dont even use any other powers to help, except flying. Superman drives Doomsday into a lakes bed hoping it will slow him down. Superman shouldve drove him down into the lake bed like couple of miles and let ol Doomsday deal with that....but nooooo.

Half-way through their fight Superman complaining about how HE was being hurt hitting DD. Towards the end Superman says he NEEDS to move faster and match DD or he's dead...see soo much for flash like speed in this story line. All in All pretty cheesey for all you Die Hard Superman Fans. eek!

Redwolf

Read This

You're wrong on a few things:

Superman is solar powered, his kryptonian cells absorb the rays of a yellow sun. Yet while using his powers he's using up his "juice" i.e. solar reserves. The more powerful the foe he's fighting the more "juice" he uses to stop the foe.

The reason Superman died fighting Doomsday...

Doomsday was Superman's equal in brute strength and invunerablity. After hours of battling Doomsday Superman was using up so much of his solar energy that his protective aura that makes him nigh invunerable began to wear down. The blows Doomdsay was landing on Superman were now severly injuring him.

By the way the battle happened at Superspeed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.