One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dean7879
i think this film is great...i think jack nicholson is superb
the film is hilarious untill the shocking last few minutes sad

anyone saw this?

thegreatrudini
yeah its a bloody great film

dean7879
jack nicholson is hilarious...still shocked about the ending though

KillTheLight
I read the book before i watched the movie so nothing shocked me.
but yeah it's a great movie

BackFire
One of my favorites, in my opinion the best film ever made. No films ever amazed me like this one did. Absolutely stunning and shocking film.

dean7879
its definetly up there in my top 10 now...i still rank shawshank as my fav film eva..
do u think jacks performance in the film was better than in the shining??

BackFire
Yes, I do. Jack was great in the shining, but this was a more serious work for him, he was a bit overdone in the shining, but that's what made that film so awesome.

thegreatrudini
I love films about crazy people

mc pee pants
this movie is one of THE best movie ever made.

i gotta go rent it... and rainman.

theReject
I was supposed to watch this movie in my psychology class, but we never did watch it.

thegreatrudini
Rainman rocks! dream team and crazy people are quite funny to

MildPossession
Definitely! he was fantastic in this film, as he was in The Shining, but his acting in OFOTCN is far more superior to his Shining acting.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is one of my all time favourite films, and also the book is one of my all time favourites.

Dr. Strangelove
Great movie, Jacks perfomance is one of the best ever. thumb up

Bardock42

BackFire
The ending of the movie is so amazing, I feel so many emotions all at the same time during the last segment, it's truly overwhelming.

Impediment
It's coincidental that this particular thread was bumped, because not even a week ago I was debating this film with my co-workers. The topic at hand was Nurse Ratched and her role as a villain in the film. Was her character villainous because she so strictly adhered to her code of ethics as a medical figure? Or did she deliberately press buttons and overstep her bounds by being such a malicious b*tch to everyone? I say she was just doing her job, BUT was seriously lacking, if not totally absent, of basic human emotion. Although, the scene with Billy (Brad Dourif) in which Ratched caused him to kill himself suggested that she should have used a WAY different tactic than the one she used and showed her unprofessionalism. What say you?

Dusty
Amazing movie.

Classic line: "I-I'm popeye the sailor man.."

BackFire
She was the villain because she represented everything that McMurphy hated, plus she was just a cold heartless person who cared only about the rules and keeping the norm as opposed actual human connection.

Bardock42
Not to forget that she actually did many things with malicious intend.

Jeff Spicoli
Who here has seen the movie and book? I really need some help regarding them. Please let me know.

sixella 34
Great movie.

ADarksideJedi
I love that movie.The book was very good as well.But I don't care too much for the ending.

MildPossession
The ending is a classic. Amazing film and book.

Dr Mystery
Weird. I was about to post on the greatest movie ever thread then I saw this one. My favourite movie of all time. Ending made me cry even though I had read the book and still gives me a lump in my throat to this day. I have the SE DVD and when you take the disc out you see a pic of Chief picking that "Thing" up at the end, which I think could ruin the movie for someone who hasn't seen it before, like the cover of the original Planet Of The Apes.

I don't think Ratched/Ratchet (never quite sure) is evil, she just does her job with an over-abundance of zeal, reminiscent of a witch hunter. For the purposes of the movie however, she is the evil character.

K.Diddy
beer One movie I have heard so much about but never seen,I will however make sure I see this before I die

MildPossession
*slaps K.Diddy* SEE IT NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

ADarksideJedi
I don't argee with how it ended.

MildPossession
Why not then?

BruceSkywalker
i have not seen this in a long time.. louise fletcher and jack were damn fine good

ADarksideJedi
He had no right killing him.Just because someone is a veggie does not mean that he or she should be killed.

politicsguy
its one of my favourite films so so so good

Blinky
Great movie, truly unforgettable story, performances and characters. I really need to read the book someday.

BackFire
I felt the book was not as powerful. Most of it is a lot more comical and light hearted.

K.Diddy
smile Can someone tell me what kind of genre this film fits into as it will make it more easy for me to track down

BackFire
Drama

K.Diddy
Originally posted by BackFire
Drama

thumb up Thanks mate

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Blinky
Great movie, truly unforgettable story, performances and characters. I really need to read the book someday.

The book is so worth reading!In fact I find it alot better then the movie! smile

Impediment
Am I the only one who would do Nurse Ratched? Anal rape, of course.

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment
Am I the only one who would do Nurse Ratched? Anal rape, of course.

I'd go there too, but you wouldn't have to rape.

Impediment
She seems like the kind of domineering, tyrant, b*tch who would hate to be raped and, thus, stripped of the illusion of her power.

Robtard
She seems like the kind of domineering, tyrant, b*tch who would hate to be raped and, thus, stripped of the illusion of her power.

In her professional life, she is exactly that, a domineering tyrannous hell-*****.

But in her private life, I think she'd be happy to bend-over and spread for you, relinquishing all power/control, imo. You could probably even donkey-punch her.

Watch the scene where McMurphy chokes her, tell me she wasn't seconds away from gushing her panties.

BackFire
I still maintain that Nurse Ratchet is the greatest screen villain of all time.

And to answer the previous question, yeah, I'd totally hit it.

ADarksideJedi
I think Nurse Ratched is one person in the book that you love to hate.

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
I still maintain that Nurse Ratchet is the greatest screen villain of all time.

And to answer the previous question, yeah, I'd totally hit it.

Definitely up there for sure. I get feelings of hating her; to me, that makes the villain. Same with Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator.

General_Iroh
Originally posted by Robtard
Definitely up there for sure. I get feelings of hating her; to me, that makes the villain. Same with Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator.
at least Phoenix died in Gladiator though, I think the fact that she didn't get killed just made me hate her that much more

ADarksideJedi
Yes and I love that movie.Her dieing would be a better ending then Jack dieing but what can you do.

ADarksideJedi
I forgot to add this .

"One flew east one flew west one flew over the cuckoo nest" (from the book)

K.Diddy
beer Finally got my hands on this,and I am off to watch it for the first time right now,Something tells me I'm in for a treat

Aede Madavan
I predict that you'll be sorely dissapointed. It's good but vastly overrated. The storyline starts getting pretty idiotic about halfway through and I didn't find it to be an especially emotionally powerful film. Great but not a masterpiece imo.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Aede Madavan
I predict that you'll be sorely dissapointed. It's good but vastly overrated. The storyline starts getting pretty idiotic about halfway through and I didn't find it to be an especially emotionally powerful film. Great but not a masterpiece imo.
smile We will soon find out,I didn't have the time to watch it last night,So I will try and fit it in tonight

ADarksideJedi
When you do watch it.Let us know what your thoughts are on it

K.Diddy
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
When you do watch it.Let us know what your thoughts are on it

wink I will

ADarksideJedi
Oh and read the book afterwards.

K.Diddy
beer Ok,Brothers and Sisters Here are my thoughts on ''One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest''

smokin' Where to start? Well,First thing that comes to mind is ''Overrated'' This was a very good movie,No doubt but it's not good enough to be anyones ''Favorite Movie ever'' In my opinion,but each to there own,anyway I found this movie didn't really get interesting or 100 percent draw my attention until around an hour into the movie,Also I dont really feel it is one of them movies with much re-watch value,meaning I doubt I will ever really want to sit through it again,partly due to the fact that it took me an hour to get into it and the running time,now I have the negative side to it out of the way,Here comes the good,The movie had some of the strongest characters in film history,Also some of the most memorable,There were also some great scenes in this movie,The scene where we first realize the ''chief'' can talk and hear was a classic.
All in All I give this movie a 7.5/10
Might sound like a Harsh score for most people but thats how I feel,I'm taking in the fact that it took an hour to get going and the 'Re-watch'' Value is low,Not feeling 100 percent entertained for the first hour of this movie was a issue to me.

Aede Madavan
big grin

K.Diddy
It's coincidental that this particular thread was bumped, because not even a week ago I was debating this film with my co-workers. The topic at hand was Nurse Ratched and her role as a villain in the film. Was her character villainous because she so strictly adhered to her code of ethics as a medical figure? Or did she deliberately press buttons and overstep her bounds by being such a malicious b*tch to everyone? I say she was just doing her job, BUT was seriously lacking, if not totally absent, of basic human emotion. Although, the scene with Billy (Brad Dourif) in which Ratched caused him to kill himself suggested that she should have used a WAY different tactic than the one she used and showed her unprofessionalism. What say you?

beer Nice little topic there too talk about,anyway I think she was just a malicious *****,The scene with the voting for the baseball game and Billy killing himself among other scenes showed this,Yes,she was doing her job but with way more ferocity then she needed,which just tells me she is a control freak who likes the mental patients fearing her.

ADarksideJedi
Good ratings and I argee with most of it.

Mr Parker
Been a long time since I have seen this movie.will have to see it again sometime soon.very good movie.

Patient_Leech
I've been meaning to see this movie again.. I remember it being very, very good.

Myth
I watched this a lot in college. Probably haven't seen it in 4-5 years, but I still remember it very well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.