Heaven Hell and Pertorary?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
I had read that certain people believe in heaven and hell and that Pertorary is somewhere tehy go that is part of heaven and you go
There before you go to heaven so you can pay for your sins.So does anyone believe in this or any thoughts.JM Happy Dance

TrAnCeDuO
thirsty?

Capt_Fantastic
exactly!

Cheers!

finti
no

Darth Revan
Hmm, I'm on your ignore list so you can't read this anyways, but I'll go ahead and pick on your spelling and grammar regardless.DR I am atheist so I don't believe in Heaven or Hell, nor in Purgatory.DR Interesting thought, that some people believe in Heaven and Hell, I'd never heard that one before. Where'd you hear that interesting tidbit, I wonder, Fox News maybe? Well, good luck in school and hopefully if you graduate you might go to college.DR

*turns "cruelty" switch to off position*DR

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm, from my understanding there is no mention in the Bible or "official" Christian text that says that purgatory or limbo actually exist, they were literary constructs of authors such as Dante. As such there is, if you believe, probably, only heaven and hell (although some new age Christians are saying even hell is more metaphorical then real)

naybean
i didnt actually realise what "pertorary" was until i read DR's post lol.

Capt_Fantastic
I'm fairly certain it was created by the Catholic church as a method of propaganda and fund raising. In the middle ages the church would actually sell you little trinkets that were meant to reduce your time in pergatory. So, the more money you gave to the church, the less time you had to spend paying for your sins. Of course, you cold also buy your way out of hell.

People are such sheep.

Imperial_Samura
True, but then thats about the same time Dante was writing. I think Church purists maintain there is no nice middle ground, you beleive and do right (go to heaven) or your set for Hell. No nice middle ground or second chances.

Darth Revan
I think IS is right, Dante did make that up... Whether or not the church came to accept it is a different matter, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't their idea.

Capt_Fantastic
I don't know who's iead it was, but I know the church endorsed it and came to accept it as part of their doctrine.

Jackie Malfoy
Sorry guys I look everywhere in the dictionary so I could spell the word right could not find it.I even looked in a old bible that we had.Anyway a friend of mine said that it could be found in a section called Maccabees!
If anyone has a bible at home let me know if you want to look there if it says anything about there being a place between heaven and hell.
It kind of makes sences.I mean if you are good they say you go to heaven and if you are bad you go to hell.What what if you are good but not ready to go to heaven yet?There has to be a part that is actly part of heaven but not called heaven you go until you are pure enough to go to heaven.
And no I am not thirsty!lol!jm

Jedi Priestess
oh for the love of... doh not everyone who follows the teaching of a church is a sheep. You people who dont believe in God or get some kind of kick out of flaming people who do need to seriously get over yourselves. You dont believe and some of us do. SO WHAT? You do your thing and the rest of us can do our own thing. I personally dont give a rats ASS who believes in God but Id like to be able to have that belief myself without being flamed for it. Im not going around recruiting people to my faith cause I just feel thats not my JOB. I dont CARE if you believe. We all are on our own because religion is a deeply personal thing, and I for the life of me do NOT understand why atheists and Christians cant just live together in peace.

And for the record people not familiar with the Catholic doctrine on these things shouldnt be attempting to define them

Purgatory: (Lat., "purgare", to make clean, to purify) in accordance with Catholic teaching is a place or condition of temporal punishment for those who, departing this life in God's grace, are, not entirely free from venial faults, or have not fully paid the satisfaction due to their transgressions.

Limbo: In theological usage the name is applied to (a) the temporary place or state of the souls of the just who, although purified from sin, were excluded from the beatific vision until Christ's triumphant ascension into Heaven (the "limbus patrum"wink; or (b) to the permanent place or state of those unbaptized children and others who, dying without grievous personal sin, are excluded from the beatific vision on account of original sin alone (the "limbus infantium" or "puerorum"wink

Jedi Priestess
It should also be noted that just because this is what the Catholic church teaches, doesnt make it absolute. And I am Catholic btw, I'm just a selective one. wink

WindDancer
That post is Pure Gold! Man! about time somebody said that. Nicely put Jedi Priestess. thumb up

yerssot
for the record, Purgatory was invented at the end of the 15th, begin of the 16th century to raise funds for the pope in Rome for his ...what-ever the english name is of that building

It is one of the main reasons Luther placed his ideas on the churchdoor in Wittenberg in 1517

Silver Stardust
I knew I heard that before...

JP...thumb up awesome post.

yerssot
I guess I was stuck on repeat

Silver Stardust
What? No, I'm saying that I've heard that somewhere before. It wasn't on here.

Jedi Priestess
I believe the question was what is purgatory and do you believe in it? How it was invented has nothing to do with how it's practiced per se by the Catholic church yerssie. stick out tongue

Ytaker

Jedi Priestess
WHAT? blink

Capt_Fantastic
Babe, I was talking about people in the middle ages.....

Jedi Priestess
Oh well alrighty then, my bad! kiss

Jackie Malfoy
Strange I never knew it was also called limbo.Interesting.So are you saying that it is written in the bible or that it was just invented which makes it not real?JM
If any of yu guys believe there is a heaven and a hell then why not believe in Limbo or for that matter Pertorary?JM

yerssot
if she wants to know what purgatory is she can take a dictionary and look it up

Dreampanther
No. I don't believe in pertatory. Nor do I believe in purgatory. I believe in Jah. He will allow anyone into heaven, as long as you know how to roll up, light up, sit down, shut up and relax.

However, I do believe that in heaven smoking might be pertatory. Or is that obligatory?

Jackie Malfoy
Well you must be glad to get those thoughts out of your head!JM

moneypenny
I believe that all breasts should be PERTatory smile

And ja, it is actually good to get this out of my head...smile

Darth Revan
Nonono... Purgatory and Limbo are two different things. Limbo is the first layer of hell, where people who weren't Christian but didn't otherwise sin go. Not that you can read this anyways roll eyes (sarcastic)

Plus, why is it that you have so much faith in the Bible, not even being Christian? None of it is true, darling...

Ytaker
What about Luke 3:1? He calls Lysanias the Tetrach of Abilene in AD
27 ish. There was an enscription found from the time of Tiberius, from AD 14-37, which names Lysanias as Tetrach in Abila near Damascus.

Ytaker

Adam_PoE
Ytaker>

It is common to reference actual dates, locations, persons, and times in a fictional story. It is a literary device used to establish setting.

Star Trek refereces actual dates, locations, persons, and times in its episodes. Does this mean that everything in Star Trek is real too?

Ytaker

yerssot
mind when you mention Star Trek on a Star Wars board wink

finti
Star trek sucks

Jackie Malfoy
Where did you get star trek from Finti?LOL!I can see where your mind is.JM

Capt_Fantastic
And I can see that you didn't read the whole page...

Jackie Malfoy
I did read the whole page.If you guys want to chagne the topic go somewhere else.Also Captain strike one!JM

Adam_PoE
If you read the whole page, how did you happen to miss this post:

And this one:

Capt_Fantastic

svnthdysthsbbth
I have yet to find either pertorary or pergatory in my bible, I'll keep looking! LOL!

bye

debbiejo
It' not there....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.