The Life Aquatic

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

scott hiwersh
Official site is pretty cool, they have a store, but everything is sold out...

Does anyone know if they are really going to sell more things from the site? Those shoes are classic... I would love a pair....

crickey77
I was disappointed when I saw the site was sold out too. but one of my friends told me they are selling stuff on ebay so I checked it out. How cool are these shorts??

http://cgi.go.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14890&item=6137326740&rd=1

I am totally going to get a pair! Might not look quite as hot as Bill Murray in them, but what are you gonna do? smile

scott hiwersh
Has anyone seen the dang movie? Why no review?

WindDancer
Is this film a tribute to the late Jacques Cousteau?

Cinemaddiction
It opens Christmas Day.

movieman
I've seen the film.

One thumb down, and the other thumb shoved in Wes Anderson's heart for making a shitty film.

movieman
Oh yeah, but the site is pretty cool.

Myth
Well, I guess I'll have to see what others think. Until then, I'm still optimistic.

crickey77
I saw this movie a few days ago and loved it! Bill Murray was hi-larious - maybe one of his best performances ever. Its definitely Wes Anderson funny so if you like that type of comedy, you will love this one. If anyone hasn't seen the clips, there are some really good ones on their main site. http://lifeaquatic.movies.go.com/splash.html I think its gotten pretty good reviews from what I've seen. Any other reviews out there?

scott hiwersh
I saw Murray on Letterman last night, he is really starnge, but also really freaking funny... Site really is pretty cool, I am sure I will see this over the holidays, Christmas is great, but I am always looking for a chance to get the heck out of the house.

MornGlory
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/mc101.gif

SlipknoT
I really want to see it.

SlipknoT
Well I just saw it and it was different. But yet very good.

Shaolin Monk
I enjoyed this MUCH more than I thought I would. I thought it was going to be as bad as The Royal Tenenbaums...I couldn't stand that movie. This gave me more laughs, and I didn't become extremely annoyed or bored.

Even if you think it's going to be so-so, I suggest you see it...I went into it with low expectations, and came out with uh smile!

SlipknoT
I loved the diving suits they had laughing out loud

BlackC@t
Though seeing Bill Murray without a shirt and seeing his beer belly doesn't get much more disgusting sick

scott hiwersh
Nothing wrong with a little beer belly... I thought it was really good, even better than I was expecting.

Myth
My expectations were too high but it was still pretty good. The middle was good but the beginning and ending was slow.

MornGlory
i dont plan on seeing this film

SlipknoT
Its a movie that you can wait for it to come to DVD

<<Solo>>
Never diss the amazing Bill Murray. So now I'm going to have to take forward your punishment and quote the Beasite Boys. "Hey **** You."

Cinemaddiction
I think Bill Murray's lost it, personally. Notice this pattern in his movies, where he plays a washed up _______?

It's art imitating life. Much like him being drunk on Letterman earlier this year.

forumcrew
i liked this movie although it was not as good as i had hoped.. william dafoe was the funniest person in the movie.. and that says it all

BlackC@t
Oh no! don't get me wrong, I love Bill Murray, I just said that the scene was a litle gross, but he's kinda hot, so yeah...

pr1983
not out over here yet, but cant wait to see it. trailer looks good, and im a big bill murray fan...

KillTheLight
This movie looks great I love Bill murray hopefully it will be out here soon.

embarrasment Kind of agree with you he has some sort of an attractive quality

BlackC@t
Amen sister! embarrasment

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by crickey77
I saw this movie a few days ago and loved it! Bill Murray was hi-larious - maybe one of his best performances ever. Its definitely Wes Anderson funny so if you like that type of comedy, you will love this one.

That's generous, to say the least. Wes Anderson's "comedy", which can usually only be enjoyed by forty-something film society snobs, with goblets of wine in their money calloused hands.

Originally posted by SlipknoT
Its a movie that you can wait for it to come to DVD

..try cable.

So, yes, I saw it this afternoon. Just another pretentious, snotty Wes Anderson film that was anything but a comedy. Pretty colors, with a cast who's collective depth was spread way too thin to be hooked on any singular character, coupled with some really odd technocolor CGI.

A real stinker if you ask me, although much more tolerable than "The Royal Tenenbaums", which still isn't saying much. Mr. Anderson, welcome to my director shit list.

cal31
But it isn't a full out comedy, so if you went into the movie expecting a knee slapping movie, you were setting yourself up to be dissapointed. Anderson's movies are quirky, which I like, but they aren't just comedy, they have a good story as well with interesting characters, which Life Aquatic had both of.

ragesRemorse
what a god damn boring movie. Bill murray could be a great actor, too bad he picks the shittiest of movies.

papabeard
I liked this film, thought it was charming and funny, its an original and interesting story, with a philosophical slant. I enjoyed the various humourous characters.Not for everyone though.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by cal31
But it isn't a full out comedy, so if you went into the movie expecting a knee slapping movie, you were setting yourself up to be dissapointed. Anderson's movies are quirky, which I like, but they aren't just comedy, they have a good story as well with interesting characters, which Life Aquatic had both of.

Starring Bill Murray, personally, I didn't expect a comedy. I expected another Wes Anderson, high society movie about a washed up actor playing himself in some different circumstances. Interesting characters, sure, but his movies are still very pretentious. I , too, found this one to be really boring. Like a melodrama on a morphine drip.

BackFire
Thought the movie was good, I'm a fan of Wes Anderson, definately. Loved Royal Tenenbaums and I enjoyed Life Aquatic as well.

I enjoy his subtle and uniqe brand of humor. And, like any good type of humor, it isn't for everyone. It's a nice break to see humor that doens't revolve around a kid getting hit by a car several times throughout the film or an Alien peeing out of his hand, rather, humor that revolves around the verbal contact and confrontations the characters in his films have.

Too pass off people who like Wes Anderson movies as wine toting middle aged snobs is quite the generalization, and an incorrect one at that. I'd say most people who like Wes Anderson are in their 20's, most of the ones I know of are, and they certainly aren't snobby when it comes to movies.

Anywho, neat movie with a unique plot and some interesting characters.

Ou Be Low hoo
I'm still mofo waiting for this mofo film to come out in Taiwan...I love Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums.

Cinemaddiction
I can't appreciate anything he's done aside from "Bottle Rocket". He's painted himself into a corner as Hollywood's premier director for surrealistic "comedy", mid-life crisis relations, and pretention. If you ask me, he's exercising personal family demons into his films, and then it seems as if you're supposed to come away a better person, feeling sorry for him, and appreciating what he's done.

I don't. I think it's "entertainment" for rich bitches and Starbucks clientele, and I don't care how naive it sounds, because having seen all 4 of his movies, the pattern is the same. Melodramatic, woe is me bullshit that the Criterion collective is bound to eat up.

I don't think the Zucker comparison was very fair, either. Two totally different styles, and "Scary Movie 3" being his first spoof film in 12 years, of course he'll be rusty.

BlackC@t
The movie was nothing great.

Come on William Dafoe, you can do much better then this and XXX 2...

Bill Murray has a strange raw, sexual magnitism blink It's weird.

A younger Bill Murray did anyway.

Ou Be Low hoo
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I can't appreciate anything he's done aside from "Bottle Rocket". He's painted himself into a corner as Hollywood's premier director for surrealistic "comedy", mid-life crisis relations, and pretention. If you ask me, he's exercising personal family demons into his films, and then it seems as if you're supposed to come away a better person, feeling sorry for him, and appreciating what he's done.

I don't. I think it's "entertainment" for rich bitches and Starbucks clientele, and I don't care how naive it sounds, because having seen all 4 of his movies, the pattern is the same. Melodramatic, woe is me bullshit that the Criterion collective is bound to eat up.

Eh...They are meant to be ironic.

BackFire
Your factually incorrect generalization was no more fair then my comparison (where I admitted it was a different type of humor, mind you)

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo
Eh...They are meant to be ironic.

That's what bothers me, there's some odd double implication that you're supposed to recognize the irony, but appreciate the "real life" crisis he's presenting. (Notice I didn't use the word "pretention" this time. Go me.)

Originally posted by BackFire
Your factually incorrect generalization was no more fair then my comparison (where I admitted it was a different type of humor, mind you)

I'll apologize for the generalization, but I never implied that ALL his fans are like that. It was just an opinion, though. I'm just confident that I know the kind of people who appreciate his work, mostly adults, because the situations he tosses out are easy for them to relate to.

Rushmore - Rich kid who falls in love with a teacher, and the corporate father who gets caught in the love triangle.

Royal Tenenbaums - Dysfunctional family who only gets back together because someone's fatal illness.

Life Aquatic - Washed up oceanographer looking to recapure his glory days, runs into marital issues, a lost biological son, and slams head first into other elements of a mid life crisis.

Then there's the labelling. "Comedy"? Wes Anderson's got a totally different style, just call it a MOVIE. So many elements of his stuff are so subtle, it seems like they won't go recognized unless you can totally relate to everything that's said. "Royal Tenenbaums" being one of the most ostentatious films I've ever seen, with the most subtle humor I've ever heard, and the most depressing scenarios I've ever seen just put me over the edge! This is supposed to be entertainment?

BackFire
If you like that type of humor, yes.

You don't have to relate to his movies to enjoy them. I know this because I can't relate to any of his movies, but I still find them quite funny at times. His films aren't JUST comedy, mind you, they're also meant to have a dramatic aspect. But they are a type of comedy, just because it's subtle doesn't mean the humor isn't there, it just means it's not your style of humor, which is totally cool.

Ou Be Low hoo
That's what bothers me, there's some odd double implication that you're supposed to recognize the irony, but appreciate the "real life" crisis he's presenting. (Notice I didn't use the word "pretention" this time. Go me.)

There is no division in the irony. The genius of his movies is that they are totally involved in their own world and their is no pretension that their 'life' is not 'real life'.

Then there's the labelling. "Comedy"? Wes Anderson's got a totally different style, just call it a MOVIE. So many elements of his stuff are so subtle, it seems like they won't go recognized unless you can totally relate to everything that's said. "Royal Tenenbaums" being one of the most ostentatious films I've ever seen, with the most subtle humor I've ever heard, and the most depressing scenarios I've ever seen just put me over the edge! This is supposed to be entertainment?

Subtle comedy is still comedy, it's just that it's subtle....Hence the term, 'subtle comedy'. Personally, I don't find recent Adam Sandler movies very funny, but they are still labelled 'comedy'...

Cinemaddiction
People like myself still think in the traditional sense of the word, but it doesn't stick for Wes Anderson films, nor any other quirky little "comedies". I never thought of comedy really having any subdivisions in the root sense, other than "dark" comedy, which is, if anything, what *I* would categorize this particular movie.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I finally managed to purchase a copy of 'The Life Aquatic' today! It's a charming, warm, funny, strange and melancholy movie. Bill Murray is excellent - as usual - but the movie is stolen by Willem Defoe. He doesn't say much, but his physical comedy is perfect. The look he gives through the peep-hole after his 'furious' exit is hilarious.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.