strong vs tough

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Barf Heaven
This is a weird thread I know but I was just thinking about this... There's a big difference between being really strong and being resiliant or tough or whatever you want to call it. Like I'm not overly strong but I'm really resiliant like hot or cold temperatures don't bother me... And I can go literally anywhere with no shoes on cos my feet are literally like rawhide, same with my hands when I've been doing work recently

Like a guy who goes to the gym every day might be really strong, but on the other hand, if you handed him a horse and an axe and told him to go hike over the Rockies without carrying food or anything with him, he most likely wouldn't be able to do it

I do a lot of archery, kayaking, canoeing, outdoor type sports and like I've said before I look like a twig but I'm actually pretty tough not to brag or anything

So what do other people think? Is there a difference between "tough" and "strong"?

silver_tears
Of course there is, I prefer strong and tough than one or the other big grin

§pearhead
strong: physically fit, buff, you know the deal.

tough: resilient, as you said, good in a fight, yea.

i'd consider myself more tough than strong erm

silver_tears
awww is little speary tough happy
*pinches his cheeks* happystick out tongue

§pearhead
*sigh*...roll eyes (sarcastic)

silver_tears
I luv you too laughing out loud
And now you have to endure the harassment after we saw those dimples evil face

§pearhead
sad ok smile

KidRock
in a fight i can truly say just being strong helps more then being tough..at my gym i go to (new york sports club) i lift my weights to get strong and i take kickboxing there which i would say has made me tougher.

Barf Heaven
I'm not talking about just fights... I'm actually talking about more survival type stuff... Like if you got dumped off in the middle of nowhere with maybe a knife or axe and a horse or small boat how well could you survive with no help...

Also, in a fight, if you can't take a few punches without doubling over, you're going to lose.

silver_tears
I would survive, call 911 on my cell yes

Barf Heaven
So what I'm saying is that people can be "weak" even if they're really strong. Like mountain men for example, they never worked out in gyms or took kickboxing, and they could've beat a modern "tough guy" in a straight fight any day, especially if they could use weapons

§pearhead
You give me a pair of boxers and dental floss and I'll end up with a mafia of monkeys somehow smile

Barf Heaven
oh, then you're the tougest one here happy

silver_tears
damn right baby cool
and if I broke a nail, all hell would break lose angel_not

WindDancer
If you have stealth, then you don't need strenght or toughnest. smile

Barf Heaven
That's part of it too

I really don't know the right word but what I'm talking about is the mountain man-y, indian-y mentality... Quick and wiry, as well as having a connection with the wilderness, and the ability to hold your own in a fight when you have to, but also knowing how to avoid a fight

silver_tears
You mean rugged confused

Barf Heaven
sure why not...

§pearhead
tough and rugged or synonyms, aren't they? smart

Mr. Bacon
im a little weakling just ask spear but i consider myself rather tough, i take pretty regular beatings

LeAtHerRFace

§pearhead
yeah, bacon is a weakling yes

Mr. Bacon
true dat

total nettlehead
from my experience, tough beats strong every time.

Baylin
I think with 'tough' there is always going to be an element of 'strong' but its the type of strong that really matters.
For example before settling down and having a family I would quite often just out for a 'walk' with my dog and come back 3-4 days later having walked 100 or so miles. Like BH I'm no Mr Muscle to look at but I'm strong enough and tough enough to carry a pack with everything I need to be self sufficient for several days in all kinds of weather without quitting. cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.