Does it all matter?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

s|m
Try to forget your emotions, schedule, hobbies, whatever makes "you". If you look at life ''from the outside', you'll state that everything, including you , is a large group of particles, or even microscopic worlds, who knows? At this point, "I" doesn't exist.

You think that you are free, but you're chained and limited, not only by psysical laws, but also because of our 'society'. They teach you what's right and wrong from the start, so you are practically unable to choose, just "go with the flow", even if you consider yourself a kind of rebel.

And nothing lasts forever. I know that some day i will finish school, and later on, see my family die, then literally disappear. It's inevitable sad. People make up sh*t about ghosts, the after-life(as if such a thing is possible), reincarnation, etc., just to give hope, but those are just myths.

If you think about it, the life you're living now is nothing but a lucid dream, mainly kept going by the media, to prevent ppl from being insane, and going back to stoneage.
Anyway, life is really messed up, since a lot of people fight over cultural, racial, or any kind of differences, which is really dumb.
That's what they do, ppl compare each other, to see who's best, then conquer. Selfish bastards.

Life and all its reactions are just thigs can cannot be understood, only analised and remembered.
Anyway, i know everything will dissapear some day, so what's really the point of living?

P.S. Im depressed.

Darth Revan
Because we exist, and we've got 70 or 80 years, so we might as well have some fun while we're here. Life has no purpose. The first microscopic specks of life that ever existed appeared pretty much by chance... And it's just a couple billion years that separates our "purpose" from its "purpose". So there's no point, but there's no point in thinking about it either, because then you'll just get all depressed and not enjoy your time here. The fact that you will inevitably die and there is probably nothing afterwards doesn't mean that you can't lead a full, meaningful life.

Alpha Centauri
"People make up sh*t about ghosts, the after-life(as if such a thing is possible), reincarnation, etc., just to give hope, but those are just myths. "

No one knows that except those that are dead.

I'm not one to make shit up or believe in shit for hope, I'm not that weak minded. I know death can choose to take me at ANY time and whatever is beyond death if anything, I will be a part of it. I believe in the eternal aspect of our souls and that a true nature is spirit not body, eternal beings. I don't believe that to give hope, I believe it because it's what I've chose to believe. No more, no less. I can't prove it but I can't deny it, nor can anyone really.

I'm not living my life in the hope of getting an eternal one after. I'm living my life with many views:

1) If I die and there's nothing, at least I had a kick ass time while here.

2) If I die and there's something, I won't be human anymore so at least I enjoyed my time as a human well.

3) Life is ****ed, for the most part. As amazing a concept it is, it's ****ed. The things we go through are ****ed, the things the world and people around us go through, are ****ed. So wouldn't you wanna have a TIIIINY bit of a reward at the end to know that no matter what place you cross the finish line, that you cross it a winner? Regardless of what's beyond.

"Anyway, i know everything will dissapear some day, so what's really the point of living?"

That's exactly why. That's EXACTLY the point.

Everything WILL be gone some day, our planet, surrounding planets, the sun, everything. So that's the point of living, because we're only in these bodies once, only here once. Everything WILL be gone, so enjoy it while you can and while it's here.

-AC

Darth Revan
"Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience
Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing
A chance to be alive and breathing"

-Tool, Parabola

Alpha Centauri
"Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion.

Also from Parabol by Tool.

-AC

Ronny
eek! Great Quote Nivek,

and yes i do think it matters, ive gone over this with myself countless times. I mean we seriously only have one ****ing life, why waste it just because we're to lazy to get the hell of our asses and TRY to make a diffrence. personally i think every single human being has a minor but important imback on the world of tommorow.

Tptmanno1
Nice use of a tool quote.....

AC pretty much locked it down...
Were here arn't we, might as well live. No point at all in not using somehting you've got, But part of it is you have to find meaning, even if the meanings futile, you gotta try and find something that makes it worthwhile

Silver Stardust
There is no overall meaning to life, other than what you make of it. I believe that the point of being here is to live your life as fully as you can. I will admit that I've gone through my share of days where I've thought "Why do I even bother?" But at the same time, I KNOW why I bother: because life is short and I want to make the best of it I can. So instead of dwelling on the fact that everything will eventually be gone, embrace that fact and live it up while you can.

Alpha Centauri
I think that's what most people do wrong.

"Life is short", yeah when compared to infinity.

Life ISN'T short, so don't make yourself think "Life is short so why bother". Realise that you have a lot of time theoretically, so use it.

-AC

Silver Stardust
Well I wasn't thinking "Why bother" because life is short...there were other reasons behind me thinking that way erm

Alpha Centauri
Wasn't directed at you, just inspired by.

-AC

Jackie Malfoy
That is very a very depressing life.I know things wil happen that people will die and all and it is just life.But thinking like that is going to get you into a state of depression.
and I reather not be in that state.JM

s|m
Well, thats how i am sometimes.
No doubt, reality is depressing, if you stop and think about what you really are erm

Alpha Centauri
"No doubt, reality is depressing, if you stop and think about what you really are "

I think it's the opposite.

-AC

Philosophicus
For some people (realists), reality is depressing, for some (optimists) reality is positive. I'm a realist and thus depressed.

s|m
Well, so am i. I think you understood that already.
You know, they say its better to be positive, but i like to think of the worst.

Philosophicus
Yeah, I'm at my happiest when I'm depressed. Optimists merely ignore the tragedy of life - they live a lie.

Aku
Wether we die now or in 80 years it wont matter mainly because once we die, nothing remains except our body. No memory no nothing. You couldnt say "well atleast I enjoyed my life" coz you'd be dead and couldnt think anything. Although I do believe you should live your life while you can so when your old and crusty you can think, I was wild back then. I did that!

Aku
True with me. I find myself being more creative and more at home when im depressed.

peterKSL
I believe that one day, someone would find a way to let our body not age and rot... Some day it would be...

Why not the people of today start to do a research on it?

Philosophicus
Peter - people are doing research on it as we speak.

Aku - I don't think one can be creative when not depressed. Art exists because of depression and pain and suffering.

s|m
^ true

Ive seen on discovery channel a reasearch on antioxidants (found in chocolate, coffee, red wine, etc.). They are said to 'expand' your life erm, and there was a couple which bought pills like that off the net, they had to take about 100 per day, but they said it made them "feel younger".
Im not sure they really worked, or it was simply the 'placebo effect'.

Philosophicus
It might make them 'feel younger' because it releases endorfins or 'feel good' hormones in the brain, but it won't make you live substantially longer. Anyway, I drink a lot of red wine everyday and I don't feel younger, it just makes me feel drunk! Plus I'm on heavy anti-depressant and tranquilizer drugs for anxiety disorder (prescribed) and still don't feel much younger or better - it just keeps me from going totally insane and ending up in an asylum.

peterKSL
All they need is a chemical to block the cells, or muscle tissue from aging... I think, I am not very sure about this, not so good in biology...

Philosophicus
Good idea, but what if they do discover this chemical and nobody ages or dies anymore.....the earth would over populate and we'll all starve or squash to death.

peterKSL
that is one possibility, there are always other possibilities unseen.... such as there would still be war... there would still be other planets for living things to dwell... ect. Playing chess, or master mind, would be the best way to expand our thinking (listing of possibilities). As I said, intelligence has got to do with familiarity... stick out tongue

Philosophicus
Maybe, but do you know how weird it would be if people didn't age - your grand mother and grand father would look just as young as you do. Everyone would reach adulthood and stay there...wohw - there won't be any old and ugly looking women around! smokin'

peterKSL
familiarity is the power of insight, as insight is intelligent...
Insight is the combination of familiarity and to generate possibilities... I should say otherwise that Insight is the real answer to intelligence? I think so... yea.. I believe I have cracked the code..

peterKSL
Damn... it would be cool!! But I believe you are saying that you don't approve of the idea of non aging right? But I must say that sometimes drastic changes are good too.. you know..

Philosophicus
Drastic is good, but it can also destroy.

Darth Revan
I am not an optimist, nor am I living a lie. If you sat down and talked to me, you'd find that I'm actually very cynical most of the time... I just don't see the point in sitting around waiting for your own death and bitching about how life is pointless. I've only come to accept the fact that it is and learned to deal with it.

SaTsuJiN
Art touches home on any emotion.. you can be excessively happy and it will show through your work, just as you can be in a state of terrible depression and that will come in your work (the same for anger, eroticism, subtlety, and perhaps even cynicality). Although for me personally, sadness hits home faster when I view an artwork.. but it doesnt necessarily mean the fire of artistry burns on the pyres of peoples most negative feelings all the time.

Ms Hyde
The problem is in sitting around waiting !

Go out, do something (else)!

brandino
Your life has meaning if you make meaning and i make meaning for myself so yes it does matter to myself you can however be meaningless

Alpha Centauri
Depression is only thought of as the prime creative state purely because I doubt many people think "I'm ecstatic today. I'm gonna write and song or poem about it." It's commonly the opposite.

All art touches on, as Sat said, every emotion.

-AC

Philosophicus
But still, the greatest art is born from depression. All great artists, as the leading critics agree, produced their best works when they were unhappy. You can still produce good art when happy, but great art only comes from tortured souls.

debbiejo
Some of the greatest song come from tortured souls also.

I heard an interested saying:

People who feel view the world as a tragedy and
People who think view the world as a comedy.

I would like to think that I feel and think, so maybe it's saying that these are 2 extremes.

Storm
There is suffering in life and there are defeats. No one can avoid them.
But it' s better to lose some of the battles in the struggles for your dreams than to be defeated without ever knowing what you' re fighting for.

- Paulo Coelho -

Reborn Again
Originally posted by s|m
Try to forget your emotions, schedule, hobbies, whatever makes "you". If you look at life ''from the outside', you'll state that everything, including you , is a large group of particles, or even microscopic worlds, who knows? At this point, "I" doesn't exist.

You think that you are free, but you're chained and limited, not only by psysical laws, but also because of our 'society'. They teach you what's right and wrong from the start, so you are practically unable to choose, just "go with the flow", even if you consider yourself a kind of rebel.

And nothing lasts forever. I know that some day i will finish school, and later on, see my family die, then literally disappear. It's inevitable sad. People make up sh*t about ghosts, the after-life(as if such a thing is possible), reincarnation, etc., just to give hope, but those are just myths.

If you think about it, the life you're living now is nothing but a lucid dream, mainly kept going by the media, to prevent ppl from being insane, and going back to stoneage.
Anyway, life is really messed up, since a lot of people fight over cultural, racial, or any kind of differences, which is really dumb.
That's what they do, ppl compare each other, to see who's best, then conquer. Selfish bastards.

Life and all its reactions are just thigs can cannot be understood, only analised and remembered.
Anyway, i know everything will dissapear some day, so what's really the point of living?

P.S. Im depressed.

Thinking like that is only a state of mind. The only reason you're thinking like this is because you don't have focus. I know this feeling. And it's very hard to get motivated. But some how you have to try and live life to the utmost fulliest, or everything will be for naught.

Life is a series of events that correspond to the relative five senses: touch, smell, taste, sight and feel. In utilizing these five senses there's nothing you can't accomplish. Some people don't have all five senses and some even accomplish more in a life time than some with all five.

Emotions are a by-product of environment. In stimulating an emotional response to give stimulai, you can alter your environment to suit you. Some believe environment is a controlling factor in development ~~ I do too ~~ but you don't have to let it be your master. Conquer your environment, and you can accomplish anything you desire.

Desire is a strong emotion that needs to be caged. Caging your desires is the best way to control your self-being. Being one with your desires and controlling them, will stop them from them controlling you, which can be dangerous! But don't let fear control your life. If fear is an ultimate factor in experiencing life, life will pass you by in an instant.

Ultimately life is experience. In order to experience life you must let go of your fear of it. Sometimes fear plays a HUGE factor in the experience you get in life, or a lack of it. Truthfully fear is a strong factor in development and can help you in some ways. But control it, and you be its master ~~ and not the other way around.

I think Forest Gump says it all: "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you'll get." And I think that says it all. Life can be fun, or it can be hell. You can either live open and free, or hide in a dungeon and never see the light of day. Sometimes you don't choose life, but it chooses you...

peterKSL
"In order to experience life you must let go of your fear of it."

That is what babies are... eek!
Innocent, and unexperience...
A person who is experience will know what to fear and what not...

debbiejo
Yea...and live in the present moment like kids do.

Cipher
It matters if you think it does........

ms_erupt
I used to be very depressed and a lot of the reason is because I thought of life the same way. Just a series of events, big and small, capped of with death and then the end of existence. But, one day I stopped being depressed about it and pessimistic and became a realist. Yeah, it IS just a series of events, big and small, capped off with death and then the end of existance. (In my opinion anyhow.) But, why sit around bitching about it and letting it control me. I figure I've got a good 70-80 yrs. and I'm going to use them the best I can regardless if it's all for nought. (sp?)

Reborn Again
Death is enivable, life is not. Live dammit! LIVE!!!

debbiejo
Originally posted by ms_erupt
I used to be very depressed and a lot of the reason is because I thought of life the same way. Just a series of events, big and small, capped of with death and then the end of existence. But, one day I stopped being depressed about it and pessimistic and became a realist. Yeah, it IS just a series of events, big and small, capped off with death and then the end of existance. (In my opinion anyhow.) But, why sit around bitching about it and letting it control me. I figure I've got a good 70-80 yrs. and I'm going to use them the best I can regardless if it's all for nought. (sp?)

Life can be really great if you put others before yourself. If you do that then you're not focusing on yourself and dwelling on yourself and feeling sorry for yourself.

It gives you a purpose and a freedom to really make a difference and it changes your whole outlook about yourself for the better, then one day, you realize you're not depressed anymore.

Worked for me...I've been quite depressed at times.

sexyking
I am just wondering has anyone ever felt like everything seems pointless and have asked themselves why do this why do that. I am hoping for people with meaningful and time worthy coments to post. If you dont like this thread just leave it dont start abusing or if you dont understand just say.

Linkalicious
I never feel that way because I never take for granted the things I have that other people may not have. I have all 5 senses, I'm healthy, and I enjoy the area I live in because I think it's beautiful.

If all that is meaningless...then I live for one reason and one reason alone. Because I love to laugh and everyday I find something new to laugh about.

WindDancer
Originally posted by sexyking
I am just wondering has anyone ever felt like everything seems pointless and have asked themselves why do this why do that. I am hoping for people with meaningful and time worthy coments to post.

I do things because others may need me to do them. I don't do things just for myself. There are times people might depend on me and I feel that I have to help them. That's meaningful for me....to do things for others.

Broken Wing
Originally posted by Linkalicious
I never feel that way because I never take for granted the things I have that other people may not have. I have all 5 senses, I'm healthy, and I enjoy the area I live in because I think it's beautiful.

If all that is meaningless...then I live for one reason and one reason alone. Because I love to laugh and everyday I find something new to laugh about.
yes Very well put Links, I think I'm going to start using that big grin

sexyking
Great keep them coming glad to see peopel have such a positive view on life.

Broken Wing
Originally posted by sexyking
Great keep them coming glad to see peopel have such a positive view on life.

I didn't always. Believe me, I was probably on of the most negitive people out there. But basically you have two choices,
1. Live your life in sorrow, and be alone
or 2. Be happy for what you have in life.

peterKSL
Originally posted by Broken Wing
I didn't always. Believe me, I was probably on of the most negitive people out there. But basically you have two choices,
1. Live your life in sorrow, and be alone
or 2. Be happy for what you have in life.

What if I am happy that I am sorrow and alone? Isn't that a third choice?

leonheartmm
For all u depressed men out there, find a girl that u can truly love, as in love so much that ud kill urself willingly and gladly to save her even a hairspluck worth of ssadness, once u do that n stop thinkin about urselves, everythin else comes easy. love can really put things in perspective for ya.

leonheartmm
or, people cud try havin sex atleast 5 times a day with different people, everyday, i guess thatd stop you from havin too much awake time to have these kinda thoughts too yes shifty stick out tongue

argen angel
you cant really define life thou... i mean all we are is a system , you could predict the future to a good estimate (it would be exact but damn quantum mechanics ) we all reallying arent living we are just complexed systems with no choice ( look at my signature ).

argen angel
oh yeah and nothing matters

wtf...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.