Depression?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Aku
Depression anit so bad. So why do people think its bad when people are depressed, you think alot more when you are you know.

Norma Jean
Ok, well while you're depressed, go ahead and kill yourself. It'll save me a chore.

Aku
hahahahaha. I might just do that. thanx Happy Dance

Filth
i am constantly depresed, and it feels like sh!t, so dont try and tell me it aint so bad

SlipknoT
I've never been in a deep depression.

Norma Jean
I only get depressed when I can't go out or lose an auction on eBay, but usually within 30 minutes I find something better to do and forget about my depression.

*Danii*
I'm moody. sometimes im really depressed and sometimes im too happy, and then being so happy makes me depressed again messed

Lara
this was a stupid thread to start if your not going to take it seriously becuase it is a genuine mental illness and isnt that easy to treat as you might think and it can afflict every person you meet and does at some point.

mad

Filth
Depretion sucks sad

Norma Jean
It's not a mental illness. It's just attention-deprived teenagers who like to listen to Simple Plan and Good Charlotte.

SlipknoT
Cheer up and buy a Cd and ice cream big grin

Filth
dont like iceream and have already bought 3 cds today

SlipknoT
What CD's?

Lara
you know depression is the biggest teen killer in britain. becuase ppl dismiss it so easily with things like:

its the other kids at school
bf/gf trouble
and other silly stuff although they maybe the other causes but if ppl understood a bit better and actually listened when the symptoms of bad or elusive behavior start then it wouldnt get to that stage.

Filth
Dimmu Borgir - Death cult Armageddon
Dark Tranquility - Charterer (proberly spelt wrong)
Nightwish - Ocean Born

SlipknoT
Never heard of Dark Tranquility but the rest are good.

Filth
most people have not

*Danii*
This girl in my class has depression and she took an overdose sad She survived, but only just and now shes seeing a psychiatrist.

It was weird, because shed act really happy and confident, but she was still cutting herself and stuff.

Filth
I'm lucky i never got that depresed nearly did tho

WindDancer
People that usually say they are depress are either bore or just don't have anything to do. A person that suffers from depression (the illness) doesn't go around saying "I'm depress". Usually they are rather timid and silent about themselves.

Agent Phillips
Apparently a lot of my friends have suffered from depression, and a lot of them have gone through cutting phases. I didn't notice it happening at the time though because none of them ever tell me anything, I'm always out of the loop

*Danii*
Aw. its schools fault, if school wasnt so boring, peopl prolly wouldnt feel so unhappy. My friend thought she was stuck at school, and all her life wa worth was the schoolwork. Now i think she wants to join the army or somethin

SlipknoT
are they any good? Who do they sound like?

Alpha Centauri
Exactly what Wind said.

The last thing you want when deeply depressed is people around. I was in a severe downward spiral as a result of relationship problems but while the hurt may never go, the depression does. Just gotta try your best to suck it up and get on with things.

Depression is not a gimmick and by treating it as one you're disrespecting all those who has had it.

-AC

Filth
school does not help with depretion, everyday going to the same place doing the same things gets repetetive, i have a friend who is currently on anti-depresents which is weird becasue he always seemed happy

*Danii*
Thats the weird thing, you always expect them to be really down all the time, but this girl in our class was always really. . . upbeat i guess. She didnt have many friends and i think that was part of the problem

Silver Stardust
You're a moron.

Depression is a psychological disorder that is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, which occurs when a neurotransmitter (can't remember which one) isn't produced properly.

I'm a psych major AND have been diagnosed with depression, so I know what it is. Most people (teenagers) who say they're depressed are just mad/upset over silly little things. REAL depression is serious and very terrible to have to deal with day in and day out, and bouts of depression can be brought on by stress, bad things happening, or positively nothing at all.

Also, many people who actually suffer from depression act like they're fine to try and hide it. People who have real depression do not (for the most part) go around saying "Oh woe is me the world hates me I'm so depressed I think I'll just go and die now!"

Filth
That was whet happend to me when i was in school depretion realy hit me bad i ust to sit in the corner of the room and not talk to anyone its realy horribal, most people joke about it but its not nice

Lara
actually all types of ppl suffer from depression and its the ones that actually say they are and need help that are the ones which are classified as attention seekers.

there are many different types of depression.

and in some cases its genetic or cant be treated.

I suffer clinical and seasonal depression. meaning I generally suffer but at certain times of the year its worse.
I've been on medication twice and stopped taking it both times cuz it made me feel so crappy. I had the halucinations, the dreams, the hearing and seeing things that arnt there, the insomnia, the hypersomnia, really bad degenerative phases, the headaches that wont go away the cutting the crying the screaming,the sex dependance, the rage outbursts, the silence and the pills, blades and water laid out infront of me the only thing that stopped my was the thought of how seflish I was being.

theres now way you can describe the feelings and thoguhts you have when you get to that point or what got you there all you know is that you want it all to stop, you want peace such a sincere craving for peace that it doesnt matter how you get so long as you do. its such a lonely place to be and I'm greatful for the way I've felt the last few weeks I'm just dreding when it makes its ugly return and turns me into the person I hate being.
but when it returns I know I have my friends and my family and that all I have to do is wait it out.
just means avoiding certain things.

and I get the feling that I shouldnt have told any of you that.

*Danii*
sad It alsways seems that bad things always happen to nice people. Although that girl in my class who got depression wasnt very nice, she called the police on my best friend confused I think she was a biit of an attention seeker.

Silver Stardust
See, that's just the thing. The average person has NO idea what it's like to actually suffer depression. Which is why it's always laughed off as being not that big a deal.

*Danii*
I really have no idea what it would be like ot be clinically depressed sad I do have one question tho, do people who arent depressed cut themselves? confused

Filth
yer i hate attention seekers.

Depretion is very hard to describe its like yor always alone nomatter where you are or who you are with, nothing seems to chear you up, when depretion got me i started smoking and drinking it seemed to kill the depretion, your always in pain not pysicaly but mentaly, most people start cutting them selves thats the worst bit of it all, thats about as bad as it got with me but still feels like i have been to hell and back.

*Danii*
sad thats awful

Filth
yer thankful its not so bad now tho sometime i still feel alone

Jackie Malfoy
MY twin sister was in a deep depression and would had killed herself if I did not save her in time.She spent some mouths in a hospital and she is better now.JM

Filth
glad to hear it, depretion is horribal for you and everyone around you

Jackie Malfoy
Yea it is.My twin sister was mad at me for sending her to the hospital but she is ok now,JM

Filth
when people are depressed they want to be alone but thats not the best thing they genraly hurt them selves as pain stops them from thinking about what is depressing them

Jackie Malfoy
Yea I argee.It is better to be with people and be alone while being depress.The only thing that worrys me through is that some depression meds is known to get kids to kill themselves.JM

§pearhead
Depression sucks. I hate it. A lot.

And if you think it's good, you haven't experienced it.

dark1365
True.

JLred
depression??? Ive had it so many times its not funny to me anymore.

BlackC@t
I don't suffer from depression but I am down quiet a lot.

People with depression often feel worthless. I don't, I feel very good about myself smile

silver_tears
Alot of times people mistake depression for other things no expression

BlackC@t
One of friends suffers from depression. I think some of them need a lot of time to themselves. She is somebody that enjoys her own company, so when no ones around she can do what she likes, she doesn't get in fights with them because they're not around, there fore there's nothing that will get her upset.

Darth Revan
Either you are a goth, a moron, or have never actually been depressed.

BlackC@t
All of the above.

Raven Guardia
actually it is bad for you. it causes major health problems if left untreated. it can lead to earlier death from things such as heart disease and cancers. The reason is because when your depressed you become less healthy which leave you vulnerable for a weakened immune system, it not only effects you Psychically, but also Psychologically it can have long term effects.

Silver Stardust
I think you mean psychologically and physiologically (mental and physical). But this is true.

Ronny
i prefured wanting to die over knowing i was going to confused but... i haventwanted to die in about a year... the tought of it freaks me out blink did that make any sence?

and no deppresion is not a good thing Aku... its very unhealthy huh

Morning_Glory
that makes sense ronny hug

depression is bad for yourself and everyone else -- drugs are good for it

Ronny
I got to the point where i woke up every morning popping painkillers before i got ready for school erm it IS real.

dark1365
You what?!

How long ago was this?

Filth
Thats what being depressed is like, being with others just pisses you off, but the worst thing is when people wont leave you alone, you genraly lash out at them, sometimes its so bad you think you want them dead, when your on your own is the only time you can make sense of things, when i feel depressed a go for a walk in the night to help me clear my mind this way i can be alone.

darkcrown
I agree to a certain extent

Filth
Well thats what its like for me, i guess its different for other people

Deathblow
Yep, totally different for me.

I used to suffer from depression, and I wasn't always angry like you described. The only person I was pissed off with was myself, like to the point that people didn't want to be around me anymore because I was so quiet and unresponsive, it freaked them out. For me it was like being really, really tired all the time, but in your mind, and feeling like everything I did was completely pointless. Kind of like a permanent hang-over, come to think of it.

Depression owns eek!

Filth
hmmm i feel like everything is pointless and nothing i do matters, i realy dont think aku knew what he was talking about when he said its not so bad its horribal and painful

Raven Guardia
laughing out loud yeah thats what I ment....I'm terrible at spelling embarrasment

Ronny
not to long ago erm

silver_tears
alot of people here suffer/ or suffered from depression confused

BlackC@t
If anyone's worried that they might suffer from depression, you can do a google search on it and it will have some great websites with the symptoms.

Darth Revan
A lot of people in general suffer from/have suffered from depression...

silver_tears
I'm just suprised, like I know some people have, but I never knew so many of my friends have sad I haven't and don't wish to ever, but true depression can't be helped really, so all these people who claim to be depressed to be "in" now should be shot roll eyes (sarcastic)

BlackC@t
I agree.

Depression should not be used as some sort of sick fashion device.

Silver Stardust
I agree. It's because so many people claim to be depressed but aren't really that depression usually winds up getting passed off as not being that big a deal, but it is.

If I remember correctly, in my psych textbook it said that about 15-20% of teenagers suffer some form of depression or go through a depressive episode.

silver_tears
So nowadays, the ones who really do have a problem get ignored, since people write it off as just another attention grabbing scheme.

Silver Stardust
Yeah, pretty much.

Also, like I mentioned previously, most people who really do suffer from depression don't go around saying "I'm so depressed"...they tend to keep it to themselves.

Ronny
yes true... the only person i usually talk about it with is my psychiatrist

its surprises people alot when i act moody messed

Silver Stardust
Oh, most people I know don't even know that I'm depressed, and the number of people who know how serious it is I can count on one hand.

MC Mike
I spent about a month in depression then pulled out pronto. I'm never letting that take over me again. smile

Captain REX
Ima generally joyful (but tired) person, so I don't know what I'm doing in this thread!

*runs away*

Silver Stardust
Dork stick out tongue bang

Ronny
alala eek! stop with the smilie

Silver Stardust
but I love that smilie!!!

Ronny
youre obsessed stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
"If I remember correctly, in my psych textbook it said that about 15-20% of teenagers suffer some form of depression or go through a depressive episode."

That's because when you hit your teens you SHOULD (although the world and society suggests otherwise) develop some kind of common sense and perception of the world. Being that the world is for the most part, f*cked, seeing it for what it really is can sometimes drive anyone into depression.

People who equate being depressed to rebellion is what piss me off. People who choose to "go goth" because they think it's sticking it to the man. It's not. It's becoming a bigger part OF the man and disrespecting those with depression as a result.

It's a horrid thing to go through. I had a life shaking traumatic experience at one point, one that these "goth depressives" would probably shoot themselves over. I'm still here, I don't dress in all black and I don't wear eyeliner to show it.

For the simple reason that when you are depressed the first thing on your mind is how to get the hell out of feeling that way.

-AC

BackFire
Depression is blown way out of proportion, most people who are "depressed" are just bored and stupid.

Feeling "depressed"? Go outside, take a walk, have some ice cream, make a ****ing friend, exercise, go do something OTHER then sitting around feeling sorry for yourself.

If that fails, you could always look at AC's sig, if that doesn't cheer you up then you should end your life.

BlackC@t
Do you mean that for people that actually suffer from depression?

If so, you really are an ass no expression

BackFire
"Depression" for the most part is a sham. It's just an easy way for doctors and psychologists to make an easy buck.

"Oh, you feel sad for some reason? Yeah, you have depression, it's the only explenation". It's my belief that most people who are diagnosed with depression really aren't, they're just bored with themselves.

BlackC@t
Please do us all a favor and never become a doctor.

BackFire
Oh, I won't, I have dignity.

BlackC@t
'Feeling sad for some reason' is not just depression. There are 11 symptoms of it, a lot are very serious.

You seem to think it's pathetic. Just wait BF, you seem so miserable that it's very likely you too will suffer depression some day.

BackFire
Nah.

1. I'm far from miserable. I'm actually an extremely happy person, I enjoy life quite a bit.

2. I know "feeling sad for some reason" isn't depression. That's exactly my point. Most people think that if they're sad for any reason they're automatically depressed. And there are an alarming number of doctors who will blindly agree simply out of laziness and ineptitude. There are far less people who are suffering from a legit form of depression then people think.

Silver Stardust
yes

I loathe being depressed. I cannot stand how I feel when I get that way, and I want nothing more than to feel happy -- hell, to feel ANYTHING other than how I do at the moment.

Thankfully I have great friends who manage to figure out when I'm feeling down and depressed and try to cheer me up and make me feel better...even though I usually want no human contact and make dire threats against 99% of people who try and talk to me when I'm feeling that way, they still insist on trying to get me feel better, and I'm always thankful for it later.

Silver Stardust
edit....wtf?!

BlackC@t
I think I've been mis-understanding what you've been saying erm

Silver Stardust
Exactly.

BlackC@t
I very much doubt doctors would actually do that.

Doctors don't just look at you and say 'depressed!'
There are tests they take.

Silver Stardust
Actually, psychological disorders such as depression and bipolar are overwhelmingly over- and mis-diagnosed.

BackFire
You'd be surprised... Some doctors really really don't care. They just think that if you're feeling sad, you're depressed. Not all doctors, but there are quite a few.

BlackC@t
Yeah, in America maybe...

Silver Stardust
Okay, I've pulled out my psych textbook and it has a table with some common symptoms of depression.

Emotional: feeling gloomy, hopeless, socially withdrawn, irritable.
Cognitive: Characterized by slowness of though processes, obsessive worrying, inability to make decisions, nevagive self-image, self-blame and delusions of guilt and disease.
Motor: Less active, tired, experiencing difficulty in sleeping, showing decreased sex drive and decreased appetite.

Now, obviously these aren't all, but these are some of the most common symptoms of depression.

BackFire
*shrugs* Possibly, though I'd imagine it goes on elsewhere too.

BlackC@t
*tosses hair over shoulder*

Possibly...

Aku
Yeh but if a doctor asked you if you were depressed its not like you would lie about it.

AvP
i know i wouldn't

Aku
Why not? whats he gonna do? Laff at you? Diss you to make you more depressed?

Ah well I find that depression feels more natural to me then feeling all happy and stuff all the time.

Philosophicus
I've been diagnosed by many psychiatrists with clinical depression, anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, ADHD, etc. etc.

I'm honestly battling with it, as it makes me feel suicidal at times and I'm forced to take tranquiliser drugs for the anxiety...and now I'm addicted to it. I'm going to try hypnotherapy to see if it can cure me.

Jackie Malfoy
I have to say I argee with you on that one Backfire for the first time too!JMshifty

Circadian Rythm
Crazy Iwas Crazy Once.....
They Locked me up in a big room
and i got lonely
in fact iwas so lonely i thought i'd die
in fact i did die
and they buried me in a field of daisies.
one day a daisy came down and tickled my nose
and it tickled so bad i thought i'd go crazy.......

Crazy!! i was crazy once......

Filth
most people dont know what depression is, but Silver Stardust had underlined the main symtoms, there are many other things such as pysical illness, nice point there silvere stardust smile

dizzyblondegirl
i suffer with depression its not something you wont everyone to now about

AvP
i'm depreesed because we can't film anymore of our film until after half term

Filth
i think everyone here tinks they suffer from depression, read through the quote i posted from silver stardusts earlyer post they are the basic symtoms of depression, dont think just because you are a little sad you are depressed.

AvP
hmmm confused

Filth
hmmm, what?

AvP
nothing

Filth
ok

AvP
thats the only thing i'm depressed with at the moment

Filth
i'm sorry you seem to have got the wrong idea, i have just read throught the whole post an i concluded that, it was not a comment directed at you

AvP
embarrasment

dizzyblondegirl
well i actually do suffer with depression and am on anti-depressents

AvP
really, you never told me that

dizzyblondegirl
well its not somthing you wont everyone too know

AvP
i can keep secrets

dizzyblondegirl
well i trust you

AvP
smile

Silver Stardust
You're very welcome happy

Norma Jean
Blah blah blah... yawn

Alpha Centauri
If you can't comment on depression with an intelligent contribution, don't contribute at all.

-AC

Silver Stardust
Yes, please.

Filth
i agree

Aku
Godamn AC, who took that jam out your donut. Who cares if some idiot makes a stupid comment. Its a discussion not a school class from the 50's.

Deathblow
Well I for one didn't think, I knew. I knew because I'm by nature a very positive and upbeat person, depression was like the last thing I expected to go through, but I did, and believe me, it wasn't me being a little sad. I got over it though through pure will-power, and I've since put it behind me, which is what everyone suffering from depression should do or at least try their best to do, rather than moping about it all day.

Silver Stardust
yes

I used to be really upbeat and outgoing, and it caused me to totally close in on myself. I'm still incredibly shy because of it.

And Aku, AC had a very good point. This is a serious discussion because depression is something that's very serious.

Syren
Hot damn Lana, you make me so hot when you talk dirty naughty

Ok, sorry, but she's completely right. I'm pretty sure I've been depressed at some points in my life but as I refused point blank to see a doctor or psychiatrist I was never diagnosed. But, I didn't wail my woes and I didn't share my self harming moments with anyone. Shit happens, whatever doesn't kill you certainly does make you stronger.

Lara
I was depressed way before I became a goth in fact in the last two years things have gotten better. music is my therapy as nothing seems to help and now I find I'm more comfortable with the ppl around me cuz they dont care what I look like what I say or what I do. they acept me for me and thats the biggest thing for a suffer to find some comfort and its beeter to come from your peers than a sharo object, mental scars fade with time and alot of it I might add. but they arnt visible to the rest of the world like most self inflicted physical scars.

Syren
A discussion that doesn't have mature participants will fall apart at the seams.

Lara
and that is so true. ppl just dont seem to take ill mental health as seriously as they should becuase they dont have the inititive to do they're home work and find out unlike the troubled sufferers amoung us.

debbiejo
The US spends more than any other country, besides some countries in Europe on anti-depression drugs, It also has the highest divorce rate. The kids that grow up in step families and single families have more problems then kids from intact families. Thus, pass the Paxil.....please.

Sometimes depression can be caused by your diet.

Alpha Centauri
"Godamn AC, who took that jam out your donut."

I eat ring doughnuts, they contain NO jam.

See you in court.

-AC

Silver Stardust
I've never heard that before...where did you read that?

debbiejo
I've read that in many places and you could probably research it on the net. Cutting out things like sugar, processed foods...Eating more of certain foods. Getting your omega oils (flax seed, or salmon etc.)

There is a website I did visit that talked about things like that hacres.com. That ones diet is pretty extreme, but I went on it for a while and was able to get off meds. for a different problem (thyroid).
roll eyes (sarcastic)

QuietPattern
well i have major depression and i dont care

Yuna_And_Tidus
Originally posted by Aku
Depression anit so bad. So why do people think its bad when people are depressed

Try having it 99% of your life, then you'll know why. One thing after another coming your way and smacking you in the face is nothing to be happy about.

Naz
Originally posted by Aku
Depression anit so bad. So why do people think its bad when people are depressed, you think alot more when you are you know.

Tell me, have you ever been depressed?

a1hsauce
depression leads to great Drepessive songs

LethalFemme
Originally posted by a1hsauce
depression leads to great Drepessive songs

And good music.yes

Mr. Bacon
after the patriots game.... yea

Punkyhermy
petpeterm

Mr. Bacon
happy

Punkyhermy
smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.