I, Robot-- looks like a Matrix Prequel-- is it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Striel
Have you seen the preview for the new Will Smith movie "I, Robot"?

For those of you that haven't, click on the link below and watch it:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/i_robot/

Those of you that have seen the Animatix know that this movie (I. Robot) looks an awful lot like the part of the Animatrix where the servant robot rebels against his master. I believe it was called The Second Renaissance... Anyways, this seems to be too much of a coincidence. What do you think about this?

It isn't being portrayed AS a Matrix Prequel, it just seems very similar...

The Unknown
I, Robot is an old book series...

Striel
Ah... well then The Animatrix totally ripped off the storyline. lol

whatshisface
looks like a good movie. a lot of people will tie it in with the 2nd ren just like striel said. it actually looks promising. and the robots kinda look like B166ER.

Ushgarak
Asimov's Robot series was far, far better than the cliched dross that was Second Renaissance. It took a far more intelligent view of the troubles of AI creation.

Fallen Jedi
yeah, i've never read the books, but my dad is a big fan of Asimov's

MC Mike
The Robot and Foundation series were great. smile thumb up

Korri
hey Mike where u been?

MC Mike
In the ocean. confused I'm back though.

Lil Seraph
That's pretty ironic/cool Will Smith was in the list of being Neo, but he turned it down to play in the big blockbuster movie flop wild wild west.

Sifer
Right, this is weird, too weird to be a coincidence. Although I, Robot is a Fox Film. I highly, I mean, HIGHLY recommend LISTENING to that trailer again. In particular, the music.

Just believe me when I tell you: that is no "ordinary" music.

JKozzy
Yes, it's Navras. Music is almost always borrowed from previous movies' soundtracks... but this is interesting. After viewing the trailer, it looks more and more like The Animatrix all over again.... wouldn't it be a kicker if at the end, the screen just turns to matrix code, and fades to black? Although that won't happen.. since this is 20th Century Fox and Matrix was WB

mailedbypostman
Note: Will SMITH.

sith_darth_jay
laughing

dragonpisces272
yes, really weird on the part of neo. Maybe once he found out that matrix was a huge hit, he looked back and said, "man, my bad." laughing So maybe this new movie is somewhat a revelation to matrix and would make a reasonable amount of money as done matrix. But you never know...

xxphreakxx
it is very interesting that 2 movies could 'appear' so similar
yet be writttten at totally different times with totally different views
coincident or a deeper matter...?

Ushgarak
Errr, no... 'I, Robot' was the book that founded the idea of AI exploration in sci-fi which has now simply become an established piece, in 2001: ASO, Terminator, and more recently Matrix. It would be like saying it is weird that the Lawnmower Man involves cyberspace just like the matrix, despite being written at different times.

It is, of course, from Asimov that the three 'Asimov's laws' of robotics behaviour was developed, which Asimov said humans would need to build into all AIs precisely to prevent robotic rebellion.

However, people do rather quickly forget that the entire Robot series was Asimov's explorations of the meanings, limits, and failings of his own laws.

The Robot series also went into great depth to explore what it would MEAN if we developed intelligent AIs who serve us, and its effect on human culture and development. All very interesting but not much to do with something like the Matrix, and that extent of his storyline is not worth filming, even though they are interesting books.

realworlddreams
its also the title of a song by a sci-fi progressive rock/punk/emo band Coheed and Cambria...

ElectricBugaloo
...and seeing how the W brothers took much of their stories from many different sources, the second rennaissance was probably based on the Asimov story

JKozzy
Coheed and Cabria thumb upup: big grin cool
I saw them LIVE! eek!
Sorry for the off-topicness. embarrasment

But yes, 2nd Ren. may be based off of Asimov. And Asimov is a brilliant man.. I've read several of his works. smile

((The_Anomaly))
i think that its weird that it has matrix music in it , but the story line is eerily familiar to the second Renaissance......weird

SaturnickFlamesX
Yes...it is...

Darth Vicious
In my opinion many movies can be tied to The Matrix universe, you could say that it starts with I, Robot(which looked great in the trailer), then it would continue in The Terminator were they destroy almost every human being and it would end in The Matrix were Neo saves everything, i for one know it has nothing to do with the Matrix but could use it as a pre-matrix when arranging my DVD collection! By the way Revolutions sucked!

JediHDM
holy shit...that is the matrix music...its too similar for them not to be in it together somehow...i mean, yeah, the matrix is from other works, but still...

Ushgarak
Assuming that the film does not greatly divert from Asimov's ideas, the importance difference is that the Asimov robots lack a. a desire to rule in their own self-interest or b. an ego that demands equitable treatment, which they do not see as their function.

<<Solo>>
Well Will Smith was second in line to play Neo and yeah that is a kick @$$ trailer.

((The_Anomaly))
I still think that its weird that Neodammurung was playing.....

Korri
you trout!

((The_Anomaly))
wtf is a trout? What the f**k?

Korri
its a fish no expression

((The_Anomaly))
ok....that makes less sence when u explained it....but oh well

Korri
the common brown trout...

a fish which dwells in the lakes and rivers of Great Britian no expression

((The_Anomaly))
yes i know but why am I a trout? as far as i can tell im not a fish that dwells in the lakes of Britian..........

Korri
its just a random comment no expression

pslice
holy crap that so badly could be a Matrix Prequel. That IS second renisance

JediHDM
if the robots name was B166ER, then yes, it would be second renaissance. however...it does resemble very strongly...

JKozzy
'Cept it's based off a book, more likely the 2nd Renaissance was the book.

mailedbypostman
Will SMITH playing Neo? No way... Anyway i starting to think that it is related to the matrix. But the first thought that popped into mind when i saw it was Terminator 3.

MC Mike
It's sad to look at all the inferences on this page. stick out tongue Asimov wrote a classic novel about robots and it was titled "I, Robot." From the looks f the trailer, they've almost trashed the main idea of a series of stories and decided to make one big story. Second Renaissance was BASED on these novels, not these novels based on Second Renaissance. roll eyes (sarcastic)

JediHDM
yeah, i was just about to write that, Mike...but you beat me...

MC Mike
wink

The Alpha
When is this movie coming out?

JediHDM
pretty soon...don't remember the date, though i think its this month

((The_Anomaly))
its retarted, i mean common at least they could have used thier own music.....

JediHDM
yeah, thats true...especially for a movie about a robot revolt

Menelaus
I, Robot will premiere in theatres on July 16, 2004.

Korri
Hey thats 5 days before my birthday eek!

LordRaidis
I also think it's fascinating (and more than a cooincidence) that Larry and Andy wrote a story which parallels to so many other story universes.

-SPOILER-

For instance: You can link the new movie "The Forgotten" with the Matrix universe PERFECTLY (perhapes one of the earlier versions of the Matrix). You could view the plot from the point of view where the system's running some new program to improve overal control program so subsequently this woman's child is abducted and the system starts making the accomedating changes to the matrix in order to make her think she's going crazy-perhaps to anyalize and obtain a clean breakdown of the human psyche. She fails to follow along with the program and begins to pose more and more of a threat to the system so the system sends an "agent" after her to tie up the loose ends. Nevermind all the speculation about the agent being an alien. They never actually say THEY are extraterrestrials.

Or course, the system's program fails at the end of the movie when Julianne Moore's character refuses to accept the program no matter what and consequently the main agent (obsolete program) is deleted. Then the system resets the matrix just as it was before the failed program was launched.

There's quite a few movies that actually fit in this way. I think it's really fun to watch different moves and see how well it fits into the matrix. You might be surprised by what you find ;-)

JediHDM
there are many sci-fi etc movies that could fit in some way...for instance, I, robot in that the robots have become sentient to the point that they fight back, Dune in that the Machines became sentient, took over many worlds and enslaved them, then (and i haven't read the new book, yet, so not exactly sure how that ends...) machines are overcome, Termintor with the whole humans fighting machines, etc, etc, etc...sentient machines taking over the world(s) is a very common theme in modern and some not so modern writings and movies. It is definitely not a coincidence, it is a logical extension of technology today with history.

mailedbypostman
Wtf is this doing here, it came out a year ago. Jeez, just leave it in peace.

DarthLazious
No it's not.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.