how hard is adamantium?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wolverex84
guys, i was woundering just how hard is this metal that is said to be indistructable; adamantium, is there any other metal that can come close to it?, what can dent adamantium, break or even penetrate adamantium?, who can bend adamantium apart from magneto, so tell me what u feel.

jplatinum
Adamantium is the hardest known metal in the comic universe.
It can only be dented by other adamantium or a cosmic type power-based. The only metals to really come close to it are vibranium and one other metal(I forgot the name). Who can bend it, anybody who has a strong upper level magnetic or cosmic power base and can warp matter like magneto,surfer,prime,or galactus, or thanos with infinity gauntlet.

kgkg
thanos with infinity gauntlet why IG thanos is stonger than surfer without IG

and with IG thanos broke Cap america's shield which i beilieve is adamantium.

my guess is any powerful comic being can break adamantium

K3VIL
King Thor smashed and damaged Cap's shield with Mjolnir.

Zahit
how hard is adamantium?
well, i was at a strip-club here in chicago last week and there was this hot.....

Never
Wooo, this is all wrong.

Someone used an adamantium-tipped needle to give Hulk an injection. It broke.

Thor either hit Hulk with Mjolnir or punched him (I forget which; Hulk #300) and he fly into a solid adamantium statue. His head left a hole in it.

He picked it up. His fingers cracked the adamantium.

I forgot the exact order, but The Destroyer's armor, enchanted uru, and a Celestial's armor are all supposed to be "tougher" than adamantium.

JWangSDC
Adamantium is kinda like hard diamonds...

wolverex84
i think they have degaraded the true properties of how hard adamantium really is, if it is the hardest metal in all the comic universe, then why should it be breakable?, the only person that should be able to bend adamantium should be magneto, because of his ability to manipulate metals. adamantium is meant to be the superman of all other metal or elements. adamantium is meant to be indestructable, how the hell do they make other characters to break or dent adamantium, thats not right
and has for captain america's shield being smached, i believe it was said that his shield comtained no traces of adamantitum, only varabium and iron, yet his shield is the hardest metal in marvel, how de hell do this can it be dent, it is indestructable.

Victor Von Doom
Has Uru ever been damaged?

Khellendros
That was in the Ultimate universe. The ultimate line of comics do not have relevance here unless the thread starter specifically states they are talking about them.

Zahit
Has uru ever been damaged?
Well, there was that time I had a one-night-stand with this yoga instructor....

Wynndar
the destroyer has broken Uru if im not mistaken...and yes Uru, and Adamantine, the mystical metal that Herc's mace is made from r both stronger than adamantium...and adamantium can take a direct hit from a nuke...

Never
Ummm...what was in the Ultimate universe?

And since when did arbitrary individuals start speaking for the thread starter?

The Flash
Wrong forum.

Fanboy
I saw Hulk bend Adamantium and let me remember Carbonadium was a metal that was as strong as adamantium.

Cosmic Cube
Carbonadium isn't as strong as adamantium. Omega Red's coils can be damaged. Captain Americas Sheild is NOT adamantium; It's Vibranium.

manjaro
its adamantium dude...trust me on that one

Swanky-Tuna
It's a Vibranium-Adamantium alloy isn't it? I'm pretty sure it's an alloy that mixes the strengths of both metals.

Magneto destabilized adamantium which turned it into a liquid.

And it was mindless Hulk that bent low grade adamantium.

King Burger
Captain America's Shield is a mixture of adamantium and
vibranium. And IS stronger than either of these metals alone.

See MaverlDirectory.com under "Adamantium" and "Vibranium"
(all under "Miscellaneous"wink.

cherry cola
isn't there two types of adamantium the one wolverine has is the real deal. the second adamantium can be damaged because it is not as expensive and easier to find. I think i did read somewhere that captain america's shield is a vibranium and real adamantium mix that is why no one else was able to duplicate the exact quality of the shield.

Mider
there are two or three types of adimantium captian americas shield is a form of adamantium plus vibranuium i think but its a formula no one has been able to duplicate besically its totally indestructable the only kind of people who can destroy it are cosmically powered beings like the beyonder, Thanos with the IG, but other then that i cant think of anyone who can destroy it, there is pure adimantium witch is what i think wolverine bones are made of as well as ultron's body. and there is another form of adimantum witch is cheaper to make since pure adimantium is very expensive even though its not pure adimantium it can take a direct hit from a nuke and can take a direct hit from thors hammer causing only a dent

Never
Funny thing is they changed that because Captain America's shield was created before adamantium was even "discovered."

It was a mess.

kgkg
ya i read it somewhere in comic that his shield is adamantium

if it is so samn powerful how did they make shield , wov bones out of it.

the temp whold have to be like the sun , or if beings like normal thanos(i think he can) can't break it then it must take close to supernova heat to make shield of the metal.

THe whole stongest metal is bullshit , it's been dented, broken etc.

Never
Cap's shield is a composite. It is neither "adamantium" nor "true adamantium."

Characters with adamantium (that I can think of) include Wolverine (claws are allegedly "true adamantium"wink, Bullseye (at one time, not sure if he still has it), Cyber, Ultron, Lady Deathstrike...

Mider
in secret wars the human torch had to go super nova to stop ultron and even then all it did was fry his insides the adamantium covering was totally unharmed only the hulk was able to damage him but the hulk is the hulk so yeah.

wolverex84
nah, nah guys, captain american's shield is not adamantitum, only iron and varabium fused together, no traces of adamantium. and there are two types of adamantium; true adamantium and secondary adamantium, true adamantium is as hard as captain amaerican's sheild(varabium+iron) while secondary adamantium is not as hard as true adamantium, it was said that the man that produced varabium+iron=cap's shield is the same man that made adamantium, adamantium was meant to be a mistake, his only true purpose was to bond the varabium with iron, formularX, instead created adamantium, extremely hard, even thors hammar with full force of strength and thunder would hardly dent a cylinderical shaped adamantium. there was a comic i read were the x-men were captured and locked up, the gate was plated with adamantium, every one tried to open the gate but was not sucessful, then came colossus;power house of xmen, tried to open the gate, with all his full strenght, he did not even get any where close to bending it. and thats a 75 tone level!!!, and hulk cannot bend true adamantium.

Never
Yes he can.

demigawd
Yeah. Cap's shield > Adamantium >= Uru

And remember, Cap's shield, also being a vibranium composite, has properties that Adamantium does not - like being able to absorb momentum. that's why Cap doesn't go flying to his death every time Hulk or Gladiator punches him in his shield - he absorbs their blows. An Adamantium shield would be undamaged, but Cap would be sent several miles through the sky and die anyway.

Victor Von Doom
I thought it was the opposite of that.

Never
No, Cap's shield is definitely more durable than Adamantium. I know The Destroyer's armor is more durable than both.

Swanky-Tuna
I thought it was Uru>Cap's Shield>Adamantium

wolverex84
hulk can slightly bend secondary adamantium, not the type of adamantium that is on wolverine's bones.

LEVEL OF HARDNESS
captain america's shield
true adamantium( wolverine claws)
secondary adamantium
uru
varabium(black panthers claws)
maybe diamond

King Burger
Technically speaking, I am correct, Never is correct, and wolverex84
is also (sort of) correct.

Here is the entry on Adamantium in the MarvelDirectory.Com website
(which re-prints the entry in the Marvel Universe Handbook, more
or less):

"Adamantium is a virtually indestructible man-made steel alloy which does not occur in nature and whose exact chemical composition is a United States government classified secret. Adamantium is not an element: its properties do not qualify it for any know space on the Periodic Table of Elements. Rather, Adamantium is a series of closely related compounds of iron created through a secret process discovered by the American metallurgist Dr. Myron MacLain.

MacLain began experimenting with the process that created Adamantium as a young scientist in the employ of the United States government in the early 1940s. Assigned to create a super-metal with which to build tanks, MacLain labored for month, experimenting with various iron alloys. One of his experiments utilized the rare meteoric ore now known as Wakandan Vibranium. He tried to fuse the Vibranium to the iron alloy numerous times without success. Then one night when he dozed off, some as yet unknown factor entered the process, and permitted the fusion to occur. Upon discovering his success, MacLain poured the molten metal into a disc-shaped mold. The disc, once solidified, has proven to be the most impervious object ever created on Earth. MacLain turned the discover to the government and it was given to Captain America to use as his shield. Neither MacLain nor anyone else has ever been able to discover what was the x-factor that entered the process, or has been able to fuse Vibranium with another metal. (The unknown iron-Vibranium alloy of which the shield is composed resembles True Adamantium, although Adamantium itself contains no Vibranium,)."

So wolverex84 is correct that Cap's Shield is a mixture of Vibranium
and a form of Iron, though he is wrong in saying that true Adamantium
is as hard as the Shield, which it isn't (the Shield is stronger still), as
the following paragraph confirms.

Also from the same entry:

"Over the following decades MacLain experimented, attempting to duplicate the process that create the shield. Finally, in recent years, he succeeded in developing the process by which the substance known as True Adamantium is created. True Adamantium is nearly as strong as Captain America's shield, and is, for all practical purpose, indestructible. The degree of impermeability varies directly with the thickness of the Adamantium. A direct blow from Thor's hammer, conveyed with the thunder god's full strength, will slightly dent a solid cylinder of True Adamantium. A sufficient mass of Adamantium could survive a direct hit from a nuclear weapon."

So Never is correct that if Adamantium was created "decades" after
the Shield, then how can the Shield have had Adamantium in it?

BUT here is the entry on Captain America from the Marvel Universe
handbook comic (issue #2, 1985), in the section on his Shield:

"Captain America's only weapon is his shield, a concave disk 2.5 feet in diameter, wighing 12 pounds. It is made of a unique Vibranium-Adamantium allow that has never been dupilicated. The shield was cast by American metallurgist Dr. Myron Maclain, who was contracted by the U.S. government to create an impenetrable substance to use for tanks during World War II. During his experiments, Maclain combined Vibranium with an Adamntium-steel alloy he was working with and created the disc-shaped shield. Maclain was never able to duplicate the process due to his inability to indentify a still unknown factor that played a role in it."

So I was right, the Shield is a mixture of both Vibranium and
Adamantium.
(My Bolds.)

The only resolution to this mix-up, is that the "iron alloy" refered to in
the first quotation, was adamantium (which, as the first quotation points
out, is made up of Iron compounds), or atleast an early experimental
version of Adamantium. So that the Shield is techinically made up
of both these elements (as I said), but that the final version of
Adamantium (True Adamantium) was only developed many years
later.

Linkalicious
That would mean that Thor could shatter Captain America's shield if he hit it hard enough. (yes, i know it's not made of adamantium, but it's still a tough little sob)

Thor was able to crack Exetar's armor to gain access to his insides without even resorting to a GF blast.

This is interesting....

demigawd
Thor's hammer was sliced in two by Perrikus, and it was smashed by the Destroyer. Uru isn't naturally as strong as Adamantium, but when it's enchancted, it's granted an additional aura of protection that makes it impossible to rend apart except by a force powerful enough to override the enchantment. So to someone who can't overcome Odin's enchantment, it may as well be Adamantium.

The whole Cap's shield thing is really just semantics, it's probably not worth debating at length. It was created a long time before the term "Adamantium" was coined, and Adamantium was created in an effort to duplicate the metal that Cap's shield is made out of. So technically, while Cap's shield may contain some of the same things that eventually became Adamantium, it's really more that they're related than it is the inventor taking actual Adamantium and fusing it with Vibranium.

On the grand hierarchy of metal strength, Vibranium is actually pretty low. It's fairly soft, and is easily destroyed. In fact, it's actually UNSTABLE, and prone to exploding. It's claim to fame isn't how hard it is, but how it can destroy any metal (including Adamantium and perhaps even Cap's shield), and how it can stop the momentum of anything that impacts it. Also, how it interacts with sound.

All of the past Adamantium-bending feats have been basically retconned into "Secondary Adamantium", which is some lower grade quality adamantium. It's not nearly as hard as Adamantium. It's probably more on par with unenchanted Uru. I think there currently remain only two or three cases of True Adamantium damage that are unretconned, and most of those were at the hands of major cosmic beings.

Carbonadium is a more malleable form of Adamantium. It's pretty durable, somewhat less so than Secondary Adamantium, but still very strong. I've only seen it used a couple of times, and Omega Red is really the only major character to use it.

The Destroyer armor is made from, depending on the source, either an "unknown metal" or Rhinegold. But, like the Mjolnir, it's not the metal that makes it so impervous. It's the enchantments. The reason why the Destroyer armor is harder than Mjolnir is because it received enchantments from the patriarchs of every mystical pantheon. It would take a force able to override the combined might of all the godly pantheons to destroy the armor. That, for all intents in purposes, makes it more durable than any just about anything.

The Celestial armor is, and this sounds hard to believe, not that durable. Celestials themselves are amazingly durable, but their armor is really more clothing than anything else. It wasn't designed to be armor, and that's why it's been pierced by people like the Invisible Woman, Phoenix, and Thor.

So in terms of METALS, it's:

1. Cap's shield
2. True Adamantium
3. Uru
4. Secondary Adamantium
5. Rhinegold
6. Carbonadium

In terms of THINGS, it's:

1. Destroyer armor
2. Cap's shield
3. True Adamantium
4. Mjolnir
5. Uru
6. Celestial "Armor"
7. Secondary Adamantium
8. Rhinegold
9. Carbonadium
10. Diamond

Paola
wrong forum--moving....

K3VIL
Thor has smashed and damaged Cap's shield in Slokovia during the Reign Saga.

wolverex84
i think that is totally insane, his shield is indestructable, harder than true adamantium, i don't think nothing can damage his shield. the writer was totally on crack or something. and thors hammer has also been damaged before, if the shield is harder than uru, then the writer was just plain wrong.

demigawd
Well, the thing to remember is that this was King Thor, when he had OdinPower.

SoulDevourer

1. Destroyer armor
2. Cap's shield
3. True Adamantium
4. MjolnirMjolnir (enchanted uru) damaged both adamantium and cap's shield so it should be placed second to Destroyer only

SoulDevourer
if the shield is harder than uru, then the writer was just plain wrong. IF

but it's not harder

the shield is ultra strong but it's still non-mystical. probably the hardest non-magical object in marvel-verse

mjolnir on the other hand is not just uru, it is enchanted uru. not a stretch to think it is harder. in fact the opposite would've been surprising

chanceq re Perrikus' magic scythe could slice through that shield too

ragesRemorse
Adamantium aint that hard, i saw dis homie wearin some bling da other day. He had a 20 inch spinner for a charm. Now dat was hard.

Jack Daniels
adamantium prevented hulk from killing wolvie didnt it?...its gotta be tough.....not saying hulk isnt tougher as looks like it doesnt hold up well against hulk and thor type strength but with logans healing on the other hand...anyways dont know if its been mentioned but how does it rate it against $hit like titanium? lessee nevermind just typed titanium into google and saw it becomes radioactive..Im on some govt list now..lol...dont think they will find me of much interest though as the only contraband I have is rolling papers..lol...I have tobacco too though..LMAO...that saves ya...have lotsa booze but thats legal too

psycho gundam
Originally posted by demigawd
Thor's hammer was sliced in two by Perrikus, and it was smashed by the Destroyer. Uru isn't naturally as strong as Adamantium, but when it's enchancted, it's granted an additional aura of protection that makes it impossible to rend apart except by a force powerful enough to override the enchantment. So to someone who can't overcome Odin's enchantment, it may as well be Adamantium.

The whole Cap's shield thing is really just semantics, it's probably not worth debating at length. It was created a long time before the term "Adamantium" was coined, and Adamantium was created in an effort to duplicate the metal that Cap's shield is made out of. So technically, while Cap's shield may contain some of the same things that eventually became Adamantium, it's really more that they're related than it is the inventor taking actual Adamantium and fusing it with Vibranium.

On the grand hierarchy of metal strength, Vibranium is actually pretty low. It's fairly soft, and is easily destroyed. In fact, it's actually UNSTABLE, and prone to exploding. It's claim to fame isn't how hard it is, but how it can destroy any metal (including Adamantium and perhaps even Cap's shield), and how it can stop the momentum of anything that impacts it. Also, how it interacts with sound.

All of the past Adamantium-bending feats have been basically retconned into "Secondary Adamantium", which is some lower grade quality adamantium. It's not nearly as hard as Adamantium. It's probably more on par with unenchanted Uru. I think there currently remain only two or three cases of True Adamantium damage that are unretconned, and most of those were at the hands of major cosmic beings.

Carbonadium is a more malleable form of Adamantium. It's pretty durable, somewhat less so than Secondary Adamantium, but still very strong. I've only seen it used a couple of times, and Omega Red is really the only major character to use it.

The Destroyer armor is made from, depending on the source, either an "unknown metal" or Rhinegold. But, like the Mjolnir, it's not the metal that makes it so impervous. It's the enchantments. The reason why the Destroyer armor is harder than Mjolnir is because it received enchantments from the patriarchs of every mystical pantheon. It would take a force able to override the combined might of all the godly pantheons to destroy the armor. That, for all intents in purposes, makes it more durable than any just about anything.

The Celestial armor is, and this sounds hard to believe, not that durable. Celestials themselves are amazingly durable, but their armor is really more clothing than anything else. It wasn't designed to be armor, and that's why it's been pierced by people like the Invisible Woman, Phoenix, and Thor.

So in terms of METALS, it's:

1. Cap's shield
2. True Adamantium
3. Uru
4. Secondary Adamantium
5. Rhinegold
6. Carbonadium

1. Destroyer armor
2. Cap's shield
3. True Adamantium
4. Mjolnir
5. Uru
6. Celestial "Armor"
7. Secondary Adamantium
8. Rhinegold
9. Carbonadium
10. Diamond uru isn't metal, it's stone.

Kazenji
Why is this even being discussed in the Comic movies section ???

Raoul
Originally posted by Kazenji

i blame digi... lookaround

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by Kazenji

And lulz at whoever deleted my last post.

Endrict Nuul
Wait...NVM, someone please edit, delete my last post please.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.