Alice references

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mook
ive just read alice in wonderland and am reading thru the looking glass at the moment.

its good to see the things in the matrix in context
white rabbit tattoo
Neos Through the looking-glass hallucination
the references in a detectives story from animatrix.

dragonpisces272
yes i've seen the movie a while back now and when they shoved neo in that chair for the first time (when the silver liquid inhibits him) it reminds me of the time when Alice tumbled into the rabbit hole

Numo
That and Neo awakening in his pod reminded

Numo
I hit return by mistake.

What I was trying to say was when Neo awoke in his pod reminded me of stories I've read of astral projection and the astral self.

dragonpisces272
yeah...the one part where morpheus and neo were in that white room, well, construct. That residual self image...

JediHDM
There are many references in the movies to other works of literature, art, etc....too many for one person to list...and if i remember correctly, there was, at one time or another, a list of references...although its probably long gone by now...

for instance, Alice in Wonderland, Simulacra and Simulation, Mona lisa overdrive(i think...its by the author of johnny mnemonic) and many others, including works of religion, ie the Bible, the the Bhagavad gita, etc.

dragonpisces272
i think omega posted something like that before blink but how did the W. Bros think of all this symbolism? There are so many, and I bet they mad scenes where there's actually no symbolism, but makes the movie viewer think it through to have some kinda subliminal message comming out messed

JediHDM
well, one way they thought of all the symbolism is because they are very well versed...think about this. Think back to Reloaded, when Persephone take Neo, Morpheus and Trinity into the Library, where Cain and Abel are watching the Bride of Dracula, or something. there is an entire wall filled with books...the brothers hand selected every one of those books because it had a special significance to them, or the movie, or because it was a favorite of theirs. Now imagine that one reference was made, throughout all three movies, to one thing in everyone of those books...that in and of itself is ALOT of references...and i am sure there are many we haven't even realized yet.

mook
i got round to finishing 'through the looking glass' last night - good stuff.

sum1butno1
Oh, and just so you know, I'm pretty sure the guy who wrote Mona Lisa Overdrive and Johnny Mnemonic was William Gibson, who also wrote Neuromancer (which supposedly started the cyberpunk movement).

JediHDM
yes, he was...one of the songs was named "Mona Lisa overdrive" in homage to him...

sum1butno1
Yeah, that was in the Freeway chase in Reloaded, right?

JediHDM
Yes

dragonpisces272
yeah i forgot about that stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.