Is psychic stuff the devil?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackC@t
Why do religious beliefs state this? Do they state it because it's paranormal so they immediately think it's bad?

Why would the devil use such a tool?

I believe that God (if there is one) gave us this gift to help us. He cannot interfere with free will. So for an example, you're about to get into a car that is going to crash, your instinct tells you not to do so you don't get in. So God gave this to us to help us.

debbiejo
God gave everybody these gifts. Most people call things they don't understand evil...It's been that way for centuries.

XxoooxX
It wosen't a gift from god somepeople naturally have that ability.

debbiejo
It is a gift from God..But because it's not understood, it's called evil by many. These gifts are here for all and in fact we all have them, to heal ourselves and others.

edida
everyone has or has had these "gifts", usually when they were children. as we mature, we learn to trust instead our "logical" senses, sight, hearing, feel, etc., and the basic senses are repressed. some of us have had something happen in our lives to awaken or partially awaken those early senses. when i observe something that most people would consider extrasensory, i am no longer frightened, confused or even surprised. i just assume it is the nature of things. this is neither evil, or sinful, it's just natural. i've learned it's no big deal.

BlackC@t
I try not to think too logical when a psychic thing happens to me. I just thank my higher mind for giving me that experience.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by BlackC@
Why do religious beliefs state this? Do they state it because it's paranormal so they immediately think it's bad?

I believe that God (if there is one) gave us this gift to help us. He cannot interfere with free will. So for an example, you're about to get into a car that is going to crash, your instinct tells you not to do so you don't get in. So God gave this to us to help us.

Having the instinct to avoid danger and extransensory or preternatural psychic ability are not one and the same. Psychic ability comes from satan who uses it to lure and entice people away from God and towards him. He knows how much people crave to know the future so he caters to them through a process known as divination. In fact, astrology, fortune-telling, palm reading, tarot-card reading, the practice of mediums, use of ouija boards, the holding of seances, horoscope reading, practice of magic, and the like should be avoided completely. These things give place to the devil in your life. Once the devil gets a legal foothold in your life (through your own consent whether you realize that you are giving it to him or not) he will endeavor to get control of other areas of your life. Engaging in those practices in any way can lead to demonic possession.

http://www.spiritualcuriosity.com/curiosity/ouijafaq.htm

http://www.farsinet.com/truth/faq.html#faq11

http://www.ouija1.com/

FeceMan
The premise for saying that psychic powers are evil is that they are fundamentally the same thing as witchcraft--seeking power from something other than God.

Alliance
well, the powers that "god" has given people are just stunning.

inimalist
there may be some merit in this

you are exactly as likely to get possessed by a demon as you are to have a psychic experience.

chithappens
can we define what "gifts" are?

Dreamt
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
use of ouija boards, practice of magic, and the like should be avoided completely. T I would ask why it is evil or devillish to use ouija boards; alternatively, why is it inherently evil or "letting the devil into your door" to 'practice magic'? You don't like Wiccans very much, do you?

Originally posted by FeceMan
The premise for saying that psychic powers are evil is that they are fundamentally the same thing as witchcraft--seeking power from something other than God. And what if someone using those 'powers' believes vehemently they come from god?

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Dreamt
I would ask why it is evil or devillish to use ouija boards; alternatively, why is it inherently evil or "letting the devil into your door" to 'practice magic'? You don't like Wiccans very much, do you?

I already explained the answer to your first question.

What or whom I like really is not the issue. You have not correctly construed my intent for writing my post.

God Condemns The Following Practices: Necromancy, Augury, Witchcraft, Interpreting Omens, Soothsaying, Sorcery, Conjuring Spells, The Practice Of Mediums i.e. Calling Up the Dead, Spiritism (or Spiritualism), Stargazing, Prognostication, Astrology

—Leviticus 19:31; Deuteronomy 18:10-15; Isaiah 47:12-15; Acts 8:9-13, 13:6-11, 19:17-20

chillmeistergen
He's not a fan of Most Hanted then. Tell you what, he's missing out.

Devil King
Having the instinct to avoid danger and extransensory or preternatural psychic ability are not one and the same. Psychic ability comes from satan who uses it to lure and entice people away from God and towards him. He knows how much people crave to know the future so he caters to them through a process known as divination. In fact, astrology, fortune-telling, palm reading, tarot-card reading, the practice of mediums, use of ouija boards, the holding of seances, horoscope reading, practice of magic, and the like should be avoided completely. These things give place to the devil in your life. Once the devil gets a legal foothold in your life (through your own consent whether you realize that you are giving it to him or not) he will endeavor to get control of other areas of your life. Engaging in those practices in any way can lead to demonic possession.

http://www.spiritualcuriosity.com/curiosity/ouijafaq.htm

http://www.farsinet.com/truth/faq.html#faq11

http://www.ouija1.com/

I already explained the answer to your first question.

What or whom I like really is not the issue. You have not correctly construed my intent for writing my post.

God Condemns The Following Practices: Necromancy, Augury, Witchcraft, Interpreting Omens, Soothsaying, Sorcery, Conjuring Spells, The Practice Of Mediums i.e. Calling Up the Dead, Spiritism (or Spiritualism), Stargazing, Prognostication, Astrology

—Leviticus 19:31; Deuteronomy 18:10-15; Isaiah 47:12-15; Acts 8:9-13, 13:6-11, 19:17-20

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/DevilKing1138/God20Warrior.jpg

Alliance
JIA on TV. laughing out loud

marcu

Hey there BlackC.

The way I think about such things is that we get "thoughts" and "messages" both from good (God) and evil (Devil) Spirits. If I am getting a "feeling" I would ask myself if this is in line with what God would want me to do or feel..and if not, then I would say it was Satan creeping his nasty hands into my life. I do believe that we can quiet ourselves before God and "hear" what he wants to tell us..either threw pictures or feelings. (Though I have not mastered this and find it difficult to quiet my brain for longer than a minute..lol)

FeceMan
Originally posted by Alliance
well, the powers that "god" has given people are just stunning.
The ones that the Amazing Randi laughs at?

AngryManatee
Astrology, tarot cards, vodoo dolls, it's all dark-sided stuff. I am a god warrior! lol

Goddess Kali

You are wrong...

Psychic powers are evil. Anything that is not of God is EVIL. If you think differently then you are EVIL

AngryManatee
iCh2FXzD6R4

inimalist
The ones that the Amazing Randi laughs at?

Those would probably be better classified as delusions smile

debbiejo
A psychic gift could be called gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Nellinator
No, they could not, they do not fit any of the prescribed gifts, nor are they used for the glorification of God.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Nellinator
No, they could not, they do not fit any of the prescribed gifts, nor are they used for the glorification of God.

How do you know that?

debbiejo
He doesn't know because his brainwashing has overcome his reasoning.

Heaven forbid someone could have a communication from a source bigger than he is without written directions.....ei Bible.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
How do you know that? Because the gifts of the spirit are listed in the Bible, psychic gifts are none of them. Also, I have yet to see a psychic use their ability for anything to further the kingdom of God.

Shakyamunison
Because the gifts of the spirit are listed in the Bible, psychic gifts are none of them. Also, I have yet to see a psychic use their ability for anything to further the kingdom of God.

But you would not know that unless you have the holy spirit. Apparently you don't have the holy spirit. laughing out loud

debbiejo
Because the gifts of the spirit are listed in the Bible, psychic gifts are none of them. Also, I have yet to see a psychic use their ability for anything to further the kingdom of God. Some examples on who it couldn't further anything that is good please.

Devil King
Because the gifts of the spirit are listed in the Bible, psychic gifts are none of them. Also, I have yet to see a psychic use their ability for anything to further the kingdom of God.

And what of all the miracles witnessed only by children? Or bleeding from the wounds of Jesus on the cross? Or the very people you hold in such high esteem recieving messages from God?

debbiejo
PSYCHICS

The Bible are full of em.

leonheartmm
using will and the power of your SPIRIT {apparently} connected to you lifesourse, of life energy. i dunno some people are just granted miracles for no obvious reason.

debbiejo
Prophets could be called psychics.

Nellinator
Originally posted by debbiejo
Prophets could be called psychics. No they would not. They are distinctively different as they have no powers or abilities of their own.

debbiejo
Neither do psychics. They will admit it is all from god.

Nellinator
I've never heard of that being the case.

Alliance
What the f**k?

Devil King
Originally posted by leonheartmm
using will and the power of your SPIRIT {apparently} connected to you lifesourse, of life energy. i dunno some people are just granted miracles for no obvious reason.

That's all very new age of you, but it doesn't answer the question.

Devil King

Got anything different to say?

Originally posted by Devil King
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/DevilKing1138/God20Warrior.jpg

Alliance
Prophets could be called psychics.

Actually, they'd probably called schizophrenics.

debbiejo
Every psychic I've heard never admits the gift is from them, but that they are a conduit from something bigger like god. Healers say the same thing. It's not them. They are not healing people themselves.

inimalist
They are not healing people themselves.

this is very true stick out tongue

ok, I'm done

Atlantis001

Actually they do fit the descriptions. There are many psychics who have the ability of xenoglossia(speaking in tongues) and a lot of then can do healing. You can find those who can do the gift called dicernment of spirit, prophecy and things that can be called miracles. All of these are gifts of the holy spirit which are described in the scriptures.

But there is a difference between common mediunity and something that really comes from the holy spirit. So I am not saying that all psychics have the gift of the holy spirit. But this is not something only told in the scriptures. You find that in hinduism and eastern traditions with a lot more detail. Actually they were the original source of this knowledge.

Shakyamunison
Good thing the devil does not exist, or things like psychic stuff would be part of his powers and really be real. eek!

InnerRise
Is Sylvia Brown the devil?

I think not.

Enough Said.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

debbiejo
Elisha was a psychic. All prophets foretold the future. Daniel, and all of them. Geez even in the NT it says that "old mean will dream dreams and young men will see visions."

Shakyamunison
Elisha was a psychic. All prophets foretold the future. Daniel, and all of them. Geez even in the NT it says that "old mean will dream dreams and young men will see visions."

Allegedly...

debbiejo
Well I did read it in print. And I believe just everything I read. roll eyes (sarcastic)

FeceMan
Prophet != psychic.

Psychics allegedly are born with the talent. Prophets are given visions by God at the prescribed time, not through some mysterious ability.

debbiejo
Did you read the Prophet booklet?

FeceMan
I have no idea what you're talking about. I haven't kept up with this thread.

Goddess Kali
What is the difference between a Psychic and a Prophet ?

FeceMan
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
What is the difference between a Psychic and a Prophet ?
*Rubs his temples.*

Prophets are chosen by God. Psychics are something else. I don't know if they exist or not, and I don't know where they get their power (assuming they do exist).

debbiejo
I have no idea what you're talking about. I haven't kept up with this thread.

You seem to know all about them...

Shakyamunison
*Rubs his temples.*

You have a temple? I thought you were a Christian. laughing out loud laughing confused

Goddess Kali
*Rubs his temples.*

Prophets are chosen by God. Psychics are something else. I don't know if they exist or not, and I don't know where they get their power (assuming they do exist).

How come God only chooses men to be profits ? Is it because women pms ?

Psychics may or may not exist, but I am highly skeptical of psychics who claim they can see into our future.

debbiejo
I don't believe that they can actually see into the future, but to see, if the path is unaltered that a certain future will come to pass.

Nellinator

Psychics may or may not exist, but I am highly skeptical of psychics who claim they can see into our future. There are women prophets in the Bible.

FeceMan
I did not realize that monetary gain could be broken up into sex.

Goddess Kali
There are women prophets in the Bible.

Yes, but most of them are men ...its probly because men are sexier and smarter

Nellinator
Yes, but most of them are men ...its probly because men are sexier and smarter Nah, just smarter.

debbiejo
In most religions of old the prophets were women. When the Male authoritarian god stepped in then so did the ousting of the female prophets. Kinda sexist.

leonheartmm
Originally posted by Devil King
That's all very new age of you, but it doesn't answer the question.

actually, thats coming from the mouth of one{allegedly}. i didnt really believe in that stuff before u know.

Goddess Kali
The difference between a prophet and a psychic is that prophets are all men, and psychics are all women.

debbiejo
No, that's not true.

Goddess Kali
No, that's not true.

Yes, it is, it's like a Which and a Wizard. Witches are female, Wizards are male.

Same thing with Prophets and Psychics..they are both the same crap, but with different genders.

ragesRemorse

i dont know of any religous belief that out right quotes psychics as being the work of the devil, but then again i have never studied other religoun than catholic. I know its considered a type of evil because it is putting your faith in something other than God

Nellinator
Yes, it is, it's like a Which and a Wizard. Witches are female, Wizards are male.

Same thing with Prophets and Psychics..they are both the same crap, but with different genders. Umm... according to what? In the Bible there are prophets and prophetesses. Psychics (mediums, sorcerors, astrologers) are considered very seperate.

debbiejo
Why, because we're told so? A Seer is a Seer. If it quacks like a duck then...........

Shakyamunison
Why, because we're told so? A Seer is a Seer. If it quacks like a duck then...........

hysterical This is funny because it came from Deb. laughing stick out tongue

FeceMan
A soldier and a terrorist are two completely different things, but they still use guns.

Thundar
A soldier and a terrorist are two completely different things, but they still use guns.

Depends on what government you support...

Thundar

Psychics, witchcraft and sin itself come from the devil - but God can use them for good.

Example:

Saul went to a seer to call up the spirit of Samuel and find out if he would still be king(or something like that). God allowed Saul to perform this evil action of calling up dead spirits(through witchcraft) - so that the spirit of Samuel could inform Saul that God was against him.

This same rationale can be applied to the story of Job, where God uses Satan's evil to convict Job of his sin before him.

Psychics are different from prophets, in that they receive their visions from evil spirits - where as with prophets, it is God directly giving these visions to them.

This is why a true prophet of God's vision is always accurate, where as a psychics prediction is often times innaccurate, as they are relying on the limited information from these evil spirits - who themselves are usually lying to the people they give these visions to, or being limited beings themselves - are not fully aware of God's plans.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Thundar
Psychics, witchcraft and sin itself come from the devil - but God can use them for good.

Example:

Saul went to a seer to call up the spirit of Samuel and find out if he would still be king(or something like that). God allowed Saul to perform this evil action of calling up dead spirits(through witchcraft) - so that the spirit of Samuel could inform Saul that God was against him.

This same rationale can be applied to the story of Job, where God uses Satan's evil to convict Job of his sin before him.

Psychics are different from prophets, in that they receive their visions from evil spirits - where as with prophets, it is God directly giving these visions to them.

This is why a true prophet of God's vision is always accurate, where as a psychics prediction is often times innaccurate, as they are relying on the limited information from these evil spirits - who themselves are usually lying to the people they give these visions to, or being limited beings themselves - are not fully aware of God's plans.

Witchcraft has nothing to do with the devil. The early Christian Church was in competition with other religions, hundreds of years ago. They released propaganda against these religions and called them all witchcraft. They then connected witchcraft to the devil so they could kill these people and their religions.

Thundar
Witchcraft has nothing to do with the devil. The early Christian Church was in competition with other religions, hundreds of years ago. They released propaganda against these religions and called them all witchcraft. They then connected witchcraft to the devil so they could kill these people and their religions.

Some were definitely related to witchcraft and some weren't. Back then, and sometimes even today - one can mistake someone with the gift of "prophecy" as partaking in witchcraft, particularly when the intents of individuals with prophetic gifts are misused. There are prophets of God within the scripture who are good examples of this(Ananias is one that comes to mind).

So some people in the early church were probably not witches, as they did not practice in witchcraft but were instead gifted with prophecy.

Today though, its much easier to discern who the practicioners of witchcraft are - as they always perform some sort of satanic ritual when attempting to discern future events(i.e. tarot cards, mediums, palm reading, astrology, etc) - and it is always done for profit, not to assist God's purpose.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Thundar
Some were definitely related to witchcraft and some weren't. Back then, and sometimes even today - one can mistake someone with the gift of "prophecy" as partaking in witchcraft, particularly when the intents of individuals with prophetic gifts are misused. There are prophets of God within the scripture who are good examples of this(Ananias is one that comes to mind).

So some people in the early church were probably not witches, as they did not practice in witchcraft but were instead gifted with prophecy.

Today though, its much easier to discern who the practicioners of witchcraft are - as they always perform some sort of satanic ritual when attempting to discern future events(i.e. tarot cards, mediums, palm reading, astrology, etc) - and it is always done for profit, not to assist God's purpose.

First: Witchcraft is not a religion. It is word made by the Church to slander other religions.

Second: Satanic ritual is also a made up term used by the Church to slander other religions.

Satanism is a modern quasi religion that is an off shoot of Christianity.

debbiejo
hysterical This is funny because it came from Deb. laughing stick out tongue then............it's a duck.

A soldier and a terrorist are two completely different things, but they still use guns. You can call it evil, but it's still the same duck.

And first of all witches don't worship Satan. Satanists don't even worship Satan.

Second of all Satan isn't real.

If someone is a Seer then they just see. They can use it for what ever purposes. The church demonized everything to keep people under it's control. Sooooo now, only the church can say what is from god and what's not. I've been to many Pentecostal churches that have the gift of prophecy ie...seers, and the information given wasn't the truth. If god is the author of truth, then this church of the imaginary Satan.

Shakyamunison
then............it's a duck.

You can call it evil, but it's still the same duck.

And if it sounds like Deb... stick out tongue laughing

debbiejo
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well I know a duck when I see it...

Shakyamunison
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well I know a duck when I see it...

Don't duck my insult. stick out tongue

debbiejo
Maybe I should use duck tape. Because it's the SAME DUCK!! eek!

FeceMan
You can call it evil, but it's still the same duck.
Yes, because a terrorist and a soldier are the same thing.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
Yet there is nothing that a psychic does that would harm anyone and same thing with prophets, is it because the church tells you that one is from evil and the other is from light that you make the distinction?

And one can argued that the god who used psychics (seers) did see evil things upon others and then told the people how to make a stay or to turn it over. Same difference today.

Could it be that the information is coming from the same source?

Goddess Kali
Yes, because a terrorist and a soldier are the same thing.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Iraqi and Iranian soliders are considered Terrorists to many in the United States.....United States soldiers are considered terrorists to many in those nations as well.

Shakyamunison
Yet there is nothing that a psychic does that would harm anyone and same thing with prophets, is it because the church tells you that one is from evil and the other is from light that you make the distinction?

And one can argued that the god who used psychics (seers) did see evil things upon others and then told the people how to make a stay or to turn it over. Same difference today.

They take your money.

debbiejo
And guilt you in your mind...........so sad.

FeceMan

GAH YOU SILLY GIRL STOP TALKING

I haven't mentioned anything about morality. All I said was that prophets are endowed by God with their gifts while mediums are not.

Shakyamunison

I haven't mentioned anything about morality. All I said was that prophets are endowed by God with their gifts while mediums are not.

A prophet and a medium are the same thing.

FeceMan
No, they aren't. A medium contacts spirits. A prophet does not.

Shakyamunison
No, they aren't. A medium contacts spirits. A prophet does not.

They both do not. wink

debbiejo

I haven't mentioned anything about morality. All I said was that prophets are endowed by God with their gifts while mediums are not. prove it! Why is god talking to his people acceptable and god talking to for instance the Pharaoh to turn his heart non acceptable when god told him to harden his heart. Does god make deals? A teller of truths of things that may be on the path of acceptable coincidences is no better then a modern day person that sees the same thing.

In fact the story of a battle was for the arms to stay up to win and the arms that would fold would lose..that mean that a path is in a persons actions and beliefs.

FeceMan
Prove it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediumship

debbiejo
Gees, I'm leaving now...........hahaha

debbiejo
Am I to take (what could be considered a conspiracy theory) to the truth that a books word as interrupted by some mear means of truth?

Psychics do nothing better to steer men into killing others, and so we should group them together with god? Ahh nope, they surely don't. They do it for the good of others. So, what the difference in that?

debbiejo
Oops....... embarrasment

debbiejo
what the hay.......Ooops again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.