Voting is Not a Right in the USA

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GCG
The Fact is:

The people never had the right to elect the President!

We have been told over the years, by politicians no less, that voting is our duty, but what is most peculiar is that voting is not a right in the USA!

The United States Constitution and its Amendments does not explicitly give people the right to vote at all! The original Constitution only allowed the people to vote for the House of Representatives.

Does Anyone know why ?

bilb
Becuase initially the framers of this country thought that the general population lacked the intelligence or insight to vote properly so they simply did not include it.. Alexander Hamilton was a huge propenent of this

KharmaDog
Originally posted by bilb
Becuase initially the framers of this country thought that the general population lacked the intelligence or insight to vote properly

And how have things changed since?

botankus
LOL! I knew that was coming from you, Kharma.

KharmaDog
big grin

bilb
Well I dont really think the members of congress would do any better of a job stick out tongue

KidRock
Who is going to stop me from voteing?

bilb
That isnt the point Kid...

Gryn Jabar
You guys are full of shit. Amendment XIX.

GCG
Originally posted by Gryn Jabar
You guys are full of shit. Amendment XIX.

Elaborate please

big grin

Gryn Jabar
Why is the Canadian telling Americans about their constitution?
Anyway, from my text:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
Also Amendment XV and XXVI.

GCG
That is just a provision to amend the right on who is to vote; in that case its SEX cause women simply did not have the right to Vote.

The others were :

Landless white men: ratified in 1856
Non-whites: ratified in 1870
Women: ratified in 1918 (what you have quoted)
Native Americans: ratified in 1924
Adults 18 and over: ratified in 1971

As bilb said, it was done purposely by Hamilton. And was done for 2 extreme reasons.

Gryn Jabar
Who is right to vote: WOMEN AND PEOPLE OVER 18. You just proved my point.

GCG
Who is right to vote: WOMEN AND PEOPLE OVER 18. You just proved my point.

Your point has nothing to do with the argument that NOT 1 of the amendments gives the EXPLICIT RIGHT TO VOTE FOR THE PRESIDENT:

The one ratified in 1971 of Adults over 18 says:

The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

U.S. presidents are elected to four-year terms by 538 Electoral College voters, one per senator and representative from each state, plus three from the District of Columbia.

In 38 states, the voters are required by law to vote for the candidate who won the popular voter in their state, although all electors usually cast a ballot for the popular vote winner. A candidate must receive a majority of 270 votes to win the election.

NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHY THERE IS NO AMENDMENT THAT GIVES NO US CITIZEN THE EXPLICIT RIGHT TO VOTE FOR THE PRESIDENT ????

Now take back your 'full of shit' statement

debbiejo
Gee, I've been disconnected with our recent history...But, I do know the ancient facts...

Your right...in the beginning of the country, we've always been allowed to vote for all important issuers. JUST THE WAY IT WAS....The process was always important.

Gryn Jabar
People->Representative->Senators. The people DO elect the president via the representatives.

Fire
The only point GCG has is that the people do not directly elect the president. Which IMO is a tad wrong but well not my country.

And well Gryn Jabar, if GCG is right about his 38 states statement then there are 12 states in which the respresentatives have the right not to listen to the people.

Bardock42

Fire
I still think it would be a more honnest way of holding elections.

But I think a presidential regime ain't all that great either

Bardock42
Originally posted by Fire
I still think it would be a more honnest way of holding elections.

But I think a presidential regime ain't all that great either

Hmm the real problem is the "The Winner Takes it all" system the Anglic Countries have...it makes the elections unfair....not in all cases but sometimes it happens...I don't want to sound like I think the german system is the best..but it has some ery good ideas (it had enough time to try stick out tongue)

Jackie Malfoy
Uh no idea.I really do not understan what you are talking about/jm

Bardock42
hmm basically what I am saying is: That in your country people can become president without having the majority of the voters

bilb
Yeah rather insane that huh?

Lana
People->Representative->Senators. The people DO elect the president via the representatives.

That's how it's supposed to be with the electoral college, but that's simply not the case. We do not directly vote for our president. As is obvious, by the fact that Bush lost the popular vote his first term. And it is VERY rare that a president actually gets a majority vote.

Personally I think they should ditch the electoral college and let people directly vote.

And I must say...it really amazes me how many Americans don't know shit about our constitution or anything.....amazes and saddens me.

bilb
yes yes yes

Fire
Yea BarDock it's the winner takes-it-all system that ****s everything up. Altho I still prefere a monarchy above a presidential regime

bilb
whats the difference really?

GCG
The only point GCG has is that the people do not directly elect the president.

The exact point i am making

And well Gryn Jabar, if GCG is right about his 38 states statement then there are 12 states in which the respresentatives have the right not to listen to the people.

Reason being, as i understand it, under current law these 38 States can legally refuse to enroll many overseas first-time voting americans who were not born nor resided in America....A refusal of state residence by-laws.

Only 12 of the 50 states today will accept registrations from those who were born abroad but who have never resided in the United States. These 12 states are; Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Source

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.