KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Voting is Not a Right in the USA

Voting is Not a Right in the USA
Started by: GCG

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
GCG
Red Bull

Shocked Voting is Not a Right in the USA

The Fact is:

The people never had the right to elect the President!

We have been told over the years, by politicians no less, that voting is our duty, but what is most peculiar is that voting is not a right in the USA!

The United States Constitution and its Amendments does not explicitly give people the right to vote at all! The original Constitution only allowed the people to vote for the House of Representatives.

Does Anyone know why ?

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Jun 9th, 2005 02:05 AM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kimmeh
vixen

Becuase initially the framers of this country thought that the general population lacked the intelligence or insight to vote properly so they simply did not include it.. Alexander Hamilton was a huge propenent of this

Old Post Jun 9th, 2005 03:19 AM
kimmeh is currently offline Click here to Send kimmeh a Private Message Find more posts by kimmeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by bilb
Becuase initially the framers of this country thought that the general population lacked the intelligence or insight to vote properly

And how have things changed since?

Old Post Jun 9th, 2005 11:44 AM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

LOL! I knew that was coming from you, Kharma.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2005 11:58 AM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

big grin

Old Post Jun 9th, 2005 12:29 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kimmeh
vixen

Well I dont really think the members of congress would do any better of a job stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 9th, 2005 01:17 PM
kimmeh is currently offline Click here to Send kimmeh a Private Message Find more posts by kimmeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

Who is going to stop me from voteing?

Old Post Jun 9th, 2005 07:07 PM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kimmeh
vixen

That isnt the point Kid...

Old Post Jun 9th, 2005 10:41 PM
Gryn Jabar
Restricted

Account Restricted

You guys are full of shit. Amendment XIX.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2005 11:18 PM
Gryn Jabar is currently offline Click here to Send Gryn Jabar a Private Message Find more posts by Gryn Jabar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

Originally posted by Gryn Jabar
You guys are full of shit. Amendment XIX.

Elaborate please

big grin

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Jun 9th, 2005 11:44 PM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gryn Jabar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why is the Canadian telling Americans about their constitution?
Anyway, from my text:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
Also Amendment XV and XXVI.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2005 11:50 PM
Gryn Jabar is currently offline Click here to Send Gryn Jabar a Private Message Find more posts by Gryn Jabar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

That is just a provision to amend the right on who is to vote; in that case its SEX cause women simply did not have the right to Vote.

The others were :

Landless white men: ratified in 1856
Non-whites: ratified in 1870
Women: ratified in 1918 (what you have quoted)
Native Americans: ratified in 1924
Adults 18 and over: ratified in 1971

As bilb said, it was done purposely by Hamilton. And was done for 2 extreme reasons.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2005 12:28 AM
Gryn Jabar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Who is right to vote: WOMEN AND PEOPLE OVER 18. You just proved my point.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2005 01:52 AM
GCG
Red Bull

Originally posted by Gryn Jabar
Who is right to vote: WOMEN AND PEOPLE OVER 18. You just proved my point.

Your point has nothing to do with the argument that NOT 1 of the amendments gives the EXPLICIT RIGHT TO VOTE FOR THE PRESIDENT:

The one ratified in 1971 of Adults over 18 says:

The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

U.S. presidents are elected to four-year terms by 538 Electoral College voters, one per senator and representative from each state, plus three from the District of Columbia.

In 38 states, the voters are required by law to vote for the candidate who won the popular voter in their state, although all electors usually cast a ballot for the popular vote winner. A candidate must receive a majority of 270 votes to win the election.

NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHY THERE IS NO AMENDMENT THAT GIVES NO US CITIZEN THE EXPLICIT RIGHT TO VOTE FOR THE PRESIDENT ????

Now take back your 'full of shit' statement

Old Post Jun 10th, 2005 02:38 AM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Gee, I've been disconnected with our recent history...But, I do know the ancient facts...

Your right...in the beginning of the country, we've always been allowed to vote for all important issuers. JUST THE WAY IT WAS....The process was always important.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2005 02:48 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gryn Jabar
Restricted

Account Restricted

People->Representative->Senators. The people DO elect the president via the representatives.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2005 03:44 PM
Fire

The only point GCG has is that the people do not directly elect the president. Which IMO is a tad wrong but well not my country.

And well Gryn Jabar, if GCG is right about his 38 states statement then there are 12 states in which the respresentatives have the right not to listen to the people.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jun 10th, 2005 03:51 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

īThe most powerful man shouldn't be elected directly anyway I belive...just look at the Weimarer Republik it went all wrong....sad

It's very dangerous in the US too though

Old Post Jun 10th, 2005 03:59 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I still think it would be a more honnest way of holding elections.

But I think a presidential regime ain't all that great either

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jun 10th, 2005 04:00 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Fire
I still think it would be a more honnest way of holding elections.

But I think a presidential regime ain't all that great either

Hmm the real problem is the "The Winner Takes it all" system the Anglic Countries have...it makes the elections unfair....not in all cases but sometimes it happens...I don't want to sound like I think the german system is the best..but it has some ery good ideas (it had enough time to try stick out tongue)

Old Post Jun 10th, 2005 04:02 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote