Should zombies run?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
I will wholehearedly admit that I liked the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead a lot, because of the gore, the violence and the whole suspense of the film because of the monsters running after you. However I was and still am a little bit skeptical as to the plausibility of RUNNING zombies. It just seems a liitle too awkward for reanimated dead bodies to stand up, come back to life, and then run after you like Jesus Christ. All of the original zombie flicks by George Romero and others portrayed the undead as slow, wobbling, drooling monsters (as they should be), and no running whatsoever. Am I wrong for liking the new 2004 remake because I like the added suspense of zombies running after their dinner? I still rank the original zombie flicks as reigning supreme, though. Always and forever!

Cinemaddiction
Nah, I like them both ways, myself. It's a necessary evil, just an evolution of the genre that's inevitable.

stunna1773
yes ser

Impediment
You dont' think it takes away from the "classic zombie feel"?

Cinemaddiction
"Classic" is referred to as such because of its age. What worked then doesn't necessarily work now.

MildPossession
I don't mind the running zombies at all.

BackFire
No, they shouldn't. It takes away one of the greatest qualities of the zombies, something that is seemingly harmless suddenly becoming a massive threat, despite the fact that they can barely move. There's just something far more creepy and genuine about stumbling zombies.

Not only that, but it would be impossible for zombies to run, seeing as they're muscles would be suffereing from rigamortis.

Running zombies only worked in Return of the Living Dead, because it was meant to be a silly movie.

Deano
i think its ok for them to run..as long as it is not a sprint
i prefer the slow zombies though

Impediment
Backfire has a point that there is something "far more creepy and genuine" about the "classic" zombie stride, with rigor mortis and all. I had totally forgot about the "Return of the Living Dead" series, and how it was meant to be silly (I love you so much, Sarah! Now let me eat your brain!!!) and non-traditional. I admit it is cool to see this new type of zombie on screen, but I think the traditional is far more effective.

stingray005
I like them either way, but I think the slow moving zombies are cooler

Impediment
The only thing I never understood about the zombies, walking or running, is why they don't attack each other.

BaronOBeefDip
No. I like the slow-moving zombies. They're more fun.

Deano
Originally posted by Impediment
The only thing I never understood about the zombies, walking or running, is why they don't attack each other.

they attack on the warm blooded!!

Cowboyography
True Zombies should be slowed by rigamortis, I agree. However in the case of a movie such as 28 days later where the creatures are for a virus inflicted human, running is exeptable.

beta-wolf_101
I guess it depends on how they came back but I like the running thing it adds to the suspence as you say

hh?
i dont like the zombies running...doesn't feel the same as the older films.

jinzin
i don't mind the running zombies either but here's a few things:

zombies shouldn't be able to run due to rigamortis...
"real" zombies are people brought back to wander the earth by means of walking....
walking makes zombies appear far more creepy...
fast moving zombies aren't fair..they run like olympian sprinters and don't get tired....sad

kmcdude
They should run,it would be more scary

jinzin
i don't think it's more scary......slower zombies are definitely more creepy in that sense...but running zombies are much more immediately threatening...

WindDancer
Hmmm...zombies coming out of the grave should not run it ruins the concept of the film. Humans that get bitten by a zombie seems okay. But I don't expected them to be able to run a marathon or be capable of Athletic feats. It makes sense that infected zombies maybe more agile and faster than dead zombies coming out of the ground. And just like humans, zombies come in different sizes...big, tall, short, and also stupid. So you might expect certain similar traits between humans and zombies.

Darthburgerking
I liked it that the zombies run I mean if zombies just walked at people with guns blowing the crap out of them it would be boring I liked it that the zombies ran at them made the people look like they were in more of a struggle.

BlackC@t
But rigamortis can be taken out by felxing the muscles. I love it how they run. I hate it how they walk, too boring and harmless.

grey fox
I don't mean to crossover into the games section for a second but this makes a point

Resident evil 3 the zombies could only shuffle along because riga mortis whereas the nemesis (which was constructed unless you want to go by apocalypse, then it was mutated) which meant that it could run and open doors

thats why when a zombie gets in front of a door they cant open it because rigger mortis buggers up their arms . And then we come upon the common case of a 'Zombie Dogpile' where a bunch of zombies push into each other and form a sort of human battering ram.

Impediment
Originally posted by WindDancer
And just like humans, zombies come in different sizes...big, tall, short, and also stupid. So you might expect certain similar traits between humans and zombies.
How can reanimated dead bodies show traits of intelligence? Unless, of course, you're talking about the zombie "Bub" from Day of the Dead.

kanis
alien I liked the running zombies in dawn of the dead because it creates more of an escapist atmosphere and more scarier view, in the original they could ran past them easily and they would just shuffle after them allowing them to escape. And with them running its easier to get trapped in a corner

chilled monkey
I agree that from a practical point of view, fast zombies are more frightening as they are a more immediate threat. However, I prefer slow zombies. I like the idea that you can outrun them but you'll eventually tire, run out of hiding places etc while they won't stop coming and are methodical, relentless and tireless.

T.M
i dont think Zombies should run. them walking makes it look like humans are at no risk. if they could run all humans would die films would end quickly lol.

Gaetane
I am totally against zombies running, they have just awakened from death. Leave the running to movies a la '28 days later' in those kinds of movie it can pass, but for zombie movies nah! Besides i really, really love remakes but the 'Dawn of the dead' remake, just a little overrated guys..................................................................................................

tpaquin
Running gave a new dynamic, but it's much more fun to watch people work around zombie stumbling that use a failsafe like running.

ragesRemorse
seeing how decompasistion has no place in Zombie movies, sure...let em run. The standard zombie image isnt that scary as we learn at the end of night of the living dead. Somthing that doesnt think and walks slower than crawling isnt scary at all, unless there is thousands of them, unless you have a thousand bullets. A zombie that runs and has some kind of thought is actually very scary.

kanis
alien With the slow zombies its easier to hide because of how slow they are, fro example climb into duct and begin to crawl through it the slow zombie won't realise where you are while the fast zombie would see and follow through causing you to attract the others.

thomas231
Yeah man, the walking zombie is kinda gay, I mean me with a sharp stick against a zombie, no contest. Zombie kabobs in under 30 seconds, the running zombie on the other hand, kinda scary stuff, you would have to go for the guns, I dont know about your fire arms, mine only carry 31 rounds, I could see how that might be a problem.

romper_stomper
i dont think they need to run,shuffling zombies can be just as deadly as shown in the past

kanis
alien The only shuffling zombies are fast if they spot and your cornered or if they have still motor control in their legs and can easily get to you I mean look what happened to flyboy, he should of just blew his brains out because their was no he was getting out of there alive.

Impediment
Just like one little ant is considered harmless and 100% non-threatening, one stumbling shuffling zombie is also. But the more there are, there more deadly the situation is. Never forget that. Running or not.

Impediment
Speaking of running zombies, does anyone know when the remake of Day of the Dead will release? I havent heard any news, but I've heard numerous times that it will be remade.

Impediment
I just got through watching the original Dawn of the Dead DVD, and I got to thinking about something: A few hours after a person or animal dies, the joints of the body stiffen and become locked in place. This stiffening is called rigor mortis. Depending on temperature and other conditions, rigor mortis lasts approximately 72 hours. The phenomenon is caused by the skeletal muscles partially contracting. The muscles are unable to relax, so the joints become fixed in place................So does this mean that running zombies aren't totally unrealistic? In your opinions? After a few days, the muscles relax, and the stiffness of the body (what gives the zombies their classic look and walk) goes away. Seems like all a matter of the physiology of the dead body, I guess. For lack of a better term.

thomasgeorge
i think zombies should run

jayy
Zombies should not run. It would be very stupid. They are meant to be lurkers and creeps.

laughing

LizzyT123
I agree and yet disagree. I liked most of the zombies movies I\'ve seen with the zombies running or walking. They are both very creepy! But, I dunno, I\'m not sure which one is better. They are both very good. smile

jayy
Originally posted by LizzyT123
I agree and yet disagree. I liked most of the zombies movies I\'ve seen with the zombies running or walking. They are both very creepy! But, I dunno, I\'m not sure which one is better. They are both very good. smile

wink

LizzyT123
But, I think it depends on the movie. If its like 28 Days Later where the person instantly can become a zombie, than I'd agree that they'd run. But like on the original Night of the Living Dead, where it takes a while for a bitten victim to become a zombie, then maybe they get weak, and their leg muscles get weak, too weak for them to run. I dunno. I'll go with either smile

jayy
Me too. Depends on the movie and the situation. I would hate to see a zombie on crack!!

laughing laughing

sleep sleep Good night sleep sleep

dave_kodak
lol, that would rule, some one should put that in a movie "warning this movie may have zombies on crack" hahahahaha ohh that rules so hardcore.

LizzyT123
yeah, it would be kinda cool, but totally unrealistic. Since the virus that turns humans into zombies affects their brain, and does the opposite of life, the crack really wouldn't have any effect!

thomasgeorge
lizzy pm me

LizzyT123
What? why...?

thomasgeorge
i need to tell you something

b-dan
hes going ot reviel his darkest secret he is Michale Jakson

eek!

no im just jokin you aint no MJ

LizzyT123
Ha! That means he can do me no harm, Mikey J likes the boys! smile

LizzyT123
Originally posted by thomasgeorge
i need to tell you something

And what do you need to tell me? big grin

jayy
Originally posted by LizzyT123
And what do you need to tell me? big grin

That he's GAY!!

eek! eek!

jayy
Originally posted by dave_kodak
lol, that would rule, some one should put that in a movie "warning this movie may have zombies on crack" hahahahaha ohh that rules so hardcore.

Yeah it does. I would love to see that. Lizzy doesn't know what she's talking about. The crack would affect them really bad. I would like to see the zombie try to get the crack from Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown.

laughing laughing

LizzyT123
How in the world could crack effect a zombie? They are walking bags of decomposing organs! It wouldn't do anything to them!

But, if your talking about Z, like on Rave to the Grave, I can understand that. But, we are not, and that movie really wasn't good. But it was better than Necropolis.

I think that if zombies just walked, it would be waaay scarier. But if they ran, it would be more adrenaline pumping. I dunno. Both is good for me smile

ragin_canagin
I have found the recent zombie style films that had running zombies more entertaining. I always get ticked off when a character does something really lame and gets caught by a lurching zombie. At least when they are fast the people have some excuse. What's with everybody trying to back their position with facts of science? We're talking about fantasy here!! Zombies!!

If you want to pick apart a horror movie based on unrealistic science facts, watch The Ring. Come on, a monster that comes out of the TV. That's an idea I can't even try and entertain. Running zombies I can.

The Nuul
Times have changed even for Horror movies. This day and age I think they should run however it depends on the movie. So its ok to have both running and slow ass zombies just to please everyone.

Blinky
The next step is zombies who can drive Segways.

After-thought : Why have we not seen a disabled zombie, in a wheelchair? Discrimination...

Mindship
No. Running = life / energy. Very unzombish. However, some movies have made it work.

The Nuul
From a technical point they shouldn't be able to run.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Blinky

After-thought : Why have we not seen a disabled zombie, in a wheelchair? Discrimination...

There has been one

check out a show called Dead Set.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Impediment
I will wholehearedly admit that I liked the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead a lot, because of the gore, the violence and the whole suspense of the film because of the monsters running after you. However I was and still am a little bit skeptical as to the plausibility of RUNNING zombies. It just seems a liitle too awkward for reanimated dead bodies to stand up, come back to life, and then run after you like Jesus Christ. All of the original zombie flicks by George Romero and others portrayed the undead as slow, wobbling, drooling monsters (as they should be), and no running whatsoever. Am I wrong for liking the new 2004 remake because I like the added suspense of zombies running after their dinner? I still rank the original zombie flicks as reigning supreme, though. Always and forever!

Dead body zombies are slow and stupid.

virus zombies are viscious and fast.

I think they ****ed up with the remake by making that mistake.

Parmaniac
I don't really like the evolution of these Zombies, cause it takes away an important element, a single zombie isn't a real threat as soon as their numbers increase (an the plague spreads) it turns into an unstoppable slow wave of flesh eaters. Your only real advantage then is that they're slow and your fast, walls etc. won't stop them for long cause of the numbers. And if you look now at the running zombies and think of a "real life" scenario everyone would be totally ****ed, you have to destroy their brais to kill them but it's almost impossible to hit a target that's fast and then it's not only one, plus their numbers should increase way faster than the slow ones AND fast zombies simply doesn't need to rest, if your not in a car or something you're ****ed. It needs a lot of PIS (yes even for Zmbies laughing out loud ) to make the movie watchable.

That ACDC Chick
**** no they shouldnt run
theyre zombies
dead people brought back to a semi-existance and therefore shouldnt run imo

if they run then theyre just genetically modified like in RE: Extinction

The MadParty
if i am was a zombie, i want to be able to run.but i might be mindless so i might have no other concept in my head than eating your brains.i do like the way planet terror did zombies.

Kris Blaze
Living dead should not run.

Infected should.

zslick
Like the girl said in left for dead " there not supposed to be that fast, im calling zombie bulls*** on that"

Maybe at first before the body starts decaying is exceptional they could run but besides that, thats the only close to exception i could know!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.