What's the major trick to ace exams without studying?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Twilight Janick
There are three main theories about acing exams without studying: either extreme intellects, for which I disagree, extreme memories, for which I disagree too, and finally, telepathy, which is the one theory I am ready to stick to.

ladygrim
take somethign really easy

jaden101
i do relatively little studying for exams...simply because i have an innate ability to remember what i'm taught...its done me in good stead over the last couple of years

PVS
for me, the trick is to take interest in the course you take and pay attention to class lectures. dont be one of those people that only place priority in scribbling down your professor's lecture onto your notebook without understanding them. i found that a clear head and open ears are more valuable than note taking. mind you, im not saying to forsake notetaking, but if you find yourself completely uninterested in the subject, and find yourself simply taking down a dictation like a secretary...you're not in the right class or perhaps have a shitty professor.

i hardly ever studied in school. if you keep the right state of mind, all you will have to do before exams is review what you already know.
but then again, like jaden, i seemed to have a natural edge over others who seemed to have to work harder at commiting information to memory. so really there is no single trick that works for everyone.

xmarksthespot
Not much to add to what's already been said except that achieving an understanding of something usually helps a lot more in committing it to memory than simply rote learning it (except of course when rote learning is the only applicable method such as with foreign vocabulary).

whirlysplat
You only pass exams with revision, unless the subject is maths based and you know all, and how to use and apply all equationssmile

dawsey28
For math, the more you practice, the better you get at it.

That is how I studied for math. I practiced the problems until they were second nature. It sounds like a lot of work, but it does help.

xmarksthespot
I actually got an understanding of how foreign languages worked by using what I learned in English and grammar classes.

For example, if you know what a direct object is and how it works in the English language, then it is easier to understand how it works in Spanish because you have something to compare it to.

Someone who has no idea what a direct object is or how it works would have a hard time understanding when the Spanish teacher is talking about it. (then again, I only studied Latin based languages like Spanish and French.)

Well, that is what worked for me. I don't know if it would work for everyone.

((The_Anomaly))
the trick is to be able to remember things in lectures, like jaden said. i also have the ability to remember things EXTREMLY well, so long as it was spoken to me, word for word sometimes. i have a photographic memory, only for sound *thinks* yea...

it annoys my friends cause the "i didnt say that" never works with me.

other then listing well....

you pretty much gotta read the material.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
the trick is to be able to remember things in lectures, like jaden said. i also have the ability to remember things EXTREMLY well, so long as it was spoken to me, word for word sometimes. i have a photographic memory, only for sound *thinks* yea...

it annoys my friends cause the "i didnt say that" never works with me.

other then listing well....

you pretty much gotta read the material.

I think it depends on the subject are you a humanities, Science or Social Science studentbig grin

((The_Anomaly))
Philosophy...

lots and lots and lots and lots......

just lots of reading...lol, all it is is reading.

reading/lectures

although i specialize in logic and logic equations. as well as history of philosophy.

and the logic stuff is basically math, and so it involves lots of practice, no matter how good you listen.

whirlysplat
Interesting stuff

I did my first degree in molecular biology but I enjoyed epistemology a lot.

I believe no matter how bright someone is revision always helps, thats what I tell my studentsbig grin

RedAlertv2
If we're talking math or science, it is good to grasp the whole concept you are being taught. That will make it easier to figure out all of the smaller details using the knowledge you already have.

ragesRemorse
Being lucky or cheating is really the only way you are going to pass without studying. Unless of course you pay attention and enjoy your course, but you still would need to study

whobdamandog
Originally posted by Twilight Janick
There are three main theories about acing exams without studying: either extreme intellects, for which I disagree, extreme memories, for which I disagree too, and finally, telepathy, which is the one theory I am ready to stick to.

Nice theories..but you overlooked the obvious..CHEATING...wink

Next Venom_girl
You basically have 3 options.
1) Be smart / have a good memory already.
2) Pay attention and take notes during the entire semester. Writing it down will help you with recall later.
3) Cheat.

RedAlertv2
This thread isnt very relevant seeing as how its summer vacation. Unless you're in summer school. And if your the type of person in summer school, you need to do all the studying you can

silver_tears
Be me diva

I don't study, for my advanced functions and relations math final this year, I spent like 15 minutes just looking through the chapters, nothing more.

silver_tears
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
This thread isnt very relevant seeing as how its summer vacation. Unless you're in summer school. And if your the type of person in summer school, you need to do all the studying you can

That's presumptuous, many people aren't North American, classes are going as we speak in like Australia and etc. Not to mention many university, or high school, students fast track through summer school, so there could be many reasons, not dealing with intelligence, for being in school right now roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mist
We're on holidays too miss silver diva

silver_tears
Then it was someone from New Zealand who told me they're at school big grin

Mist
Plus today is sunday, so classes are not going as we speak...wrong again miss silverdiva

But i think school started last week for the normal folk....i know i go back to uni this tuesday...

Mist

I didnt study for any of my exams.

Why would you disagree about the extreme intellects part? If your an extreme intellect, you should know your work. Same for memory, some things stick in your head after reading/hearing about it even just once.

Telepathy? Ask anyone who has sat an exam without studying if they use telepathy. I doubt you'll find anyone. I sure as hell wouldnt blow away studying for an exam just because I think I could guess the correct answers based off telepathy.

I didnt study because I understood the work. All I wouldve done was read things I already knew, which is pointless. Its like reading '1+1=2' over and over....you already know what it is.

silver_tears
Originally posted by Mist
Plus today is sunday, so classes are not going as we speak...wrong again miss silverdiva

But i think school started last week for the normal folk....i know i go back to uni this tuesday...

It's Monday you jack ass stick out tongue

Mist
Originally posted by silver_tears
It's Monday you jack ass stick out tongue

Dont try and trick mediva

FeceMan
Cheating?

dave123
It's just a matter of not being an idiot.

If you understand something, you don't need to revise it stick out tongue

I can tell you all about the electromagnetic spectrum - I haven't even studied it in well other a year, but I understand it, so it sticks smart

JLRTENJAC

There is always cheating... but I would just study alittle and get a B or C...

JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by ladygrim
take somethign really easy

Yea that too

shaber
Taking an easy exam or obtaining the paper and model answers bedorehand.

manjaro
i dont know about exams but one thing i do to ace term papers is to go on some file sharing network like kazaa or lime wire and get one directly from somebody's hard drive. if its good enuff i wont even make any changes. i recommend this cuz as we all know college profs. have a way to track all papers to see if there is anything plagerized but with this system its not on the net so they cant google it and they cant trace it thru that special web site that profs are privy to.

The Omega
A time-macine?

Twilight Janick
No time-machines for me. Otherwise, I said without studying. telepathy is the only risk-free cheating method. After all, I'm a Jedi Councillor, running for the Order's presidency. Is there any of you who is in the Jedi Councill or otherwise in the Jedi Order?

KidRock
I never study, most of it just comes natural to me. The only trouble I have is with Math..**** pre-calc.

Lana
I don't know, honestly.

I never studied for a single test in high school, rarely paid attention in class, and still aced every test I took. It drove my teachers insane trying to figure out how I did it. I just understood everything messed Hell, I passed all my AP exams with next to no studying.

Clovie
on some level you're not able to ace tests without studying. cry
or else you gotta be cheating...

edit:
not only ace but even pass.
you're getting very detailed question about something what was only once mentioned in the book. sad

Lana
Well, it kinda ran me into a bit of trouble last year in college, when I failed my Statistics class....but that's honestly the only time I've ever struggled with anything and actually had to study to understand it.

Clovie
seems you're extremely intelligent smile

*feels stupid* erm

Dexx
Originally posted by Lana
I don't know, honestly.

I never studied for a single test in high school, rarely paid attention in class, and still aced every test I took. It drove my teachers insane trying to figure out how I did it. I just understood everything messed Hell, I passed all my AP exams with next to no studying.

pfft...showoff stick out tongue
everyone knows that the american standard highschool level is about what european study till 7th or 8th grade

Lana
Originally posted by Dexx
pfft...showoff stick out tongue
everyone knows that the american standard highschool level is about what european study till 7th or 8th grade

We'll just ignore the fact that ever since I started school I've been 3-4 years ahead of everyone else my age smile

My college work is far too easy messed I hoped that once I was out of high school I'd have schoolwork that was actually challenging, but noo.......

Clovie
come to Poland. I can assure you it will be challenging.

Dexx
We'll just ignore the fact that ever since I started school I've been 3-4 years ahead of everyone else my age smile

My college work is far too easy messed I hoped that once I was out of high school I'd have schoolwork that was actually challenging, but noo.......
that is SO incredibly modest.
seriously...you should see how the european system works.
ours at least. it's impossible to ace everything.
it's simply too much to assimilate

Clovie
here..it's even funnier
you don't care if you ace it or ot.
you pray just to pass it yes sad

Dexx
god knows i was in that situation at least a couple of times during highschool. man..*shudders*

Clovie
I can imagine sad

Lana

Only telling the truth stick out tongue

And quite honestly, I'd MUCH rather take hard courses that are actually challenging. Classes are so incredibly boring for me. Most people would rather take easy classes, I'd rather take hard ones erm

Bardock42

i don't really know aboot your part of germany but I still find Classes here extremely boring...you can pass them pretty well wiothout actually doing anything....

Clovie
Originally posted by Bardock42
i don't really know aboot your part of germany but I still find Classes here extremely boring...you can pass them pretty well wiothout actually doing anything.... he's not from germany What the f**k?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Clovie
he's not from germany What the f**k?
I mean Europe....a freudian slip......you know we Germans consider all of Europe germany.....by the way your new President is a bastard no expression

Victor Von Doom
I vote telepathy, that's what I did.

BackFire
Wow, it's amazing how everyone on this forum seems to be some sort of scholastic genius who never has to study and just remembers everything they hear in class. Could it be that everyone here has NASA level intelligence? Or are some just lying or exaggerating? -"I never study" = "I only study 40 minutes a day before a test" perhaps?

Regardless, most of the time I suck ass at taking tests when I don't study. I don't just remember everything I need by simply hearing it said in class one time.

If your an average, normal fellow you'll probably want to study before a test, so just do it. You don't have to do much of it. Starting a week before the test study like 20 minutes each night leading up to the test. Then the night before or day of the test review and you should do fine.

Or you could just write the answers on your hands.

Bardock42
Originally posted by BackFire
Wow, it's amazing how everyone on this forum seems to be some sort of scholastic genius who never has to study and just remembers everything they hear in class. Could it be that everyone here has NASA level intelligence? Or are some just lying or exaggerating? -"I never study" = "I only study 40 minutes a day before a test" perhaps?

Regardless, most of the time I suck ass at taking tests when I don't study. I don't just remember everything I need by simply hearing it said in class one time.

If your an average, normal fellow you'll probably want to study before a test, so just do it. You don't have to do much of it. Starting a week before the test study like 20 minutes each night leading up to the test. Then the night before or day of the test review and you should do fine.

Hmm...second sounds nicer actually.....but I am not talking aboot acing Tests...here you'd actually had to study for that..but just to go wiuth the flow and get average grades I don't think you have to do a lot.....(neither in the US to be honest)

Whurlysplat
Work is the only trick to acing exams, unless they involve maths and you understand the equations.

GCG
The Major trick to Ace exams without studying is:

Hire a Pro !

You hire someone to take the exam for you. Im not refering to scholastic exams, but O level and A levels.

Inspectah Deck

There is no trick no

KidRock
I never study...I just pay attention during class and I end up getting 90's. Or I just cheat.

Lana

Note that I did say I failed a class last year...stupid statistics, made no sense whatsoever to me. Calculus I was fine with. Stats...confused the hell out of me. Arg. I'm still mad about that and that was a year ago.

GCG
Its not that you might be a bad learner; maybe your teacher sucked at teaching. I know a couple of teachers who were given the boot for having a low success rate. I think JP's insight could help a little here.

Whurlysplat

I always study thats why I have a higher degree

Lana
Wow, I wish they did that with teachers here. My trig teacher in high school did not explain anything and I had to get my friend to teach me everything in that class.

DarkC
Teach someone who's shittier at the course than you are.

PVS

i dont think having a good memory for something that interests
you warrants the title 'scholastic genius' be it genuine or sarcastic.

Inspectah Deck
Only telling the truth stick out tongue

And quite honestly, I'd MUCH rather take hard courses that are actually challenging. Classes are so incredibly boring for me. Most people would rather take easy classes, I'd rather take hard ones erm

Why?

Originally posted by KidRock
I never study...I just pay attention during class and I end up getting 90's. Or I just cheat.

Same here

Lana
Because it's a waste of time to sit in boring classes. I'd rather be challenged by something for a change.

Arachnoidfreak
The only trick is to....stay awake in class. And pay attention. When I stay awake I pass and when I don't I fail. I dont study for shit.

Inspectah Deck
Because it's a waste of time to sit in boring classes. I'd rather be challenged by something for a change.

All my classes are easy and I'm always bored. If I took challenging courses I doubt it'll change, but some people like challenges so I won't thwart with da fact smile

Victor Von Doom

Read Hegel's 'Phenomenology of Spirit'...

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
The only trick is to....stay awake in class. And pay attention. When I stay awake I pass and when I don't I fail. I dont study for shit.

laughing out loud

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak

its the truth...i dont study much either, but if you pay attention then you should be aight, or as I do alot of the time....bs it...but i got pretty good grades, 3.9 GPA...my methods never fail...lol...

Darth Jello
wikipedia and the history channel

Bardock42
Because it's a waste of time to sit in boring classes. I'd rather be challenged by something for a change. Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Read Hegel's 'Phenomenology of Spirit'...

Read anything by Martin Heidegger in German.....no expression

Clovie
Read anything by Martin Heidegger in German.....no expression read anything in Polish roll eyes (sarcastic)

Victor Von Doom
Read anything by Martin Heidegger in German.....no expression

I like Heidegger's work. I wrote a thesis on The Origin of the Work of Art.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Clovie
read anything in Polish roll eyes (sarcastic)

No, you misunderstood me, even if you can speak german you cannot understand what the man is trying to say....

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I like Heidegger's work. I wrote a thesis on The Origin of the Work of Art.

Actually I read an almost decent article of him aboot Philosophy, but to read his nexistencephilosophy is crazy, he uses the most bullshot sentences to say the easiest things......I guess he's alright but, man that guy used the German Language in a weird way........

Victor Von Doom

Actually I read an almost decent article of him aboot Philosophy, but to read his nexistencephilosophy is crazy, he uses the most bullshot sentences to say the easiest things......I guess he's alright but, man that guy used the German Language in a weird way........

His work is very good, but I agree, it's amazingly convoluted. It's definitely worth persevering with though.

Bardock42
His work is very good, but I agree, it's amazingly convoluted. It's definitely worth persevering with though.

Well I am not sure if his woks are actually worth the effort (at least I need to read his stuff 5 times and even then one page alone only contains something like "We only know of death because we experience other people dying" ..... thanks very much Marty ...who gives me back the last 2 hours of my life?)

Victor Von Doom
Well I am not sure if his woks are actually worth the effort (at least I need to read his stuff 5 times and even then one page alone only contains something like "We only know of death because we experience other people dying" ..... thanks very much Marty ...who gives me back the last 2 hours of my life?)

Haha.

Peel the onion man.

Bardock42
Haha.

Peel the onion man.

Well he might be not that onion like in his other works, I personally only read parts of Being and Time.....and said article , although I doubt he actually wrote it since it was understandable.....

Cepheus
Originally posted by silver_tears
Then it was someone from New Zealand who told me they're at school big grin
we have school ere in china sad
n'ways, i dont really have a trick, but I kinda have a good memory and I'm relatively smart erm I don't study and I get pretty good grades...

8bitChris
I hereby rename this thread the..

"Pat yourself on the back thread."

Bardock42
Originally posted by 8bitChris

And hell, we are good at it.......

Cepheus
Originally posted by 8bitChris

i know.. im so damn smart and all roll eyes (sarcastic)

lil bitchiness

There is no quick fix for things like this. If you want to ace an exam you HAVE TO study - thats just it.

Although I dont believe exams based on memory prove a lot of peoples abilities, its the way education system is today, im afraid.

Shakyamunison
BIG PICTURE!

What is the use of going to school if you don't learn something?

A degree will get you in the door but if you are an idiot, they will kick you out that door just as fast.

PVS
well what i've been saying is this:

if the main factor in whether or not you pass a course is how long you sit there and try to memorise every bit of information, chances are either you or the system has failed. sure, there are terminology-rich courses where that doesnt apply. but for most classes, if the system has done its part, and you are doing your part, studying should not be necessary. REVIEWING is a good idea, but thats just refreshing the memory you already have.

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Although I dont believe exams based on memory prove a lot of peoples abilities, its the way education system is today, im afraid.

and thats sad. and you know why its like that?
lazy teaching. its easy to just give a page number and say "remember all this" and then regurgitate the same info onto a test. its far more difficult to engage the students and help them to understand the subject in class...difficult to do ones job.

that, to me, was the first step in getting good grades. knowing whether or not to get up, walk out of that class, drop it, and take another. you do that by asking around about that particular professor.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
BIG PICTURE!

What is the use of going to school if you don't learn something?

A degree will get you in the door but if you are an idiot, they will kick you out that door just as fast.

yes

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS
well what i've been saying is this:

if the main factor in whether or not you pass a course is how long you sit there and try to memorise every bit of information, chances are either you or the system has failed. sure, there are terminology-rich courses where that doesnt apply. but for most classes, if the system has done its part, and you are doing your part, studying should not be necessary. REVIEWING is a good idea, but thats just refreshing the memory you already have.

and thats sad. and you know why its like that?
lazy teaching. its easy to just give a page number and say "remember all this" and then regurgitate the same info onto a test. its far more difficult to engage the students and help them to understand the subject in class...difficult to do ones job.

that, to me, was the first step in getting good grades. knowing whether or not to get up, walk out of that class, drop it, and take another. you do that by asking around about that particular professor.

Oh I agree complitely. And I have a major problem with ''learn that by heart and i'll see how well you can learn, but not actually UNDERSTAND''.

Pandemoniac
Main idea has been covered here; you don't attend school because it is forced upon you, you do so to gain a chance at a decent future. Failing to see this and therefore seeking the easy way out by cheating exams clarifies the mist in your skull and a lack of perspective.
Learn, get wise, make money... or be a bum!!!

Lana
No, you misunderstood me, even if you can speak german you cannot understand what the man is trying to say....

Maybe I ought to refresh my knowledge of German first, then stick out tongue

And I always hated classes where it was just endless memorization...in my mind, the only classes that's excusable in is a foreign language when you're learning vocabulary. Otherwise it's simply a waste of time.

Probably why I liked science courses the best...you can memorize the concepts, sure. But if you don't actually understand it, you're not going to do well.

Bardock42
Maybe I ought to refresh my knowledge of German first, then stick out tongue

And I always hated classes where it was just endless memorization...in my mind, the only classes that's excusable in is a foreign language when you're learning vocabulary. Otherwise it's simply a waste of time.

Probably why I liked science courses the best...you can memorize the concepts, sure. But if you don't actually understand it, you're not going to do well.

That wouldnt help you a bit....I promise ....

Well I think sometimes memorizing stuff is good like in History and such...the problem is that if I look at my classmates they usually don't know anything half a year later, so I usually try to remember what I should rememebre (I might not know that much at the point of a test or though) but I usually know what it was aboot later.

Victor Von Doom
That wouldnt help you a bit....I promise ....

Well I think sometimes memorizing stuff is good like in History and such...the problem is that if I look at my classmates they usually don't know anything half a year later, so I usually try to remember what I should rememebre (I might not know that much at the point of a test or though) but I usually know what it was aboot later.

Stop badmouthing Heidegger.

Bardock42
Stop badmouthing Heidegger.

The damn Nazi deserves it mad .....stick out tongue

Victor Von Doom
The damn Nazi deserves it mad .....stick out tongue

Just because he's German? That's racist.

Bardock42
Just because he's German? That's racist.

He actually aprreciated the Nazi Regime in the first place...that'S why Satre hated him....and he hadn't much of a voice after WW2 ...I don't think he was really a naz, but that doesn't make his mental ejaculate any more reasonable....

Capt_Fantastic
Still being a racist I see...will the hate ever end?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Still being a racist I see...will the hate ever end?

No...you nazi hater.....

§P0oONY
BACK ON TOPIC PEOPLE!

There is no trick.... but there are ways you can have an advantage, looking at past papers... seeing the format the questions have been for previous years... don't go and study things that are not going to be on the test.

Victor Von Doom
that doesn't make his mental ejaculate any more reasonable....

You have to take it the right way.

Bardock42
You have to take it the right way.
No, no..he should have written it the right way...no expression

Victor Von Doom
No, no..he should have written it the right way...no expression

Come on man. Vorsprung durch technik.

On topic- there is no 'major trick'.

Interest is the key to effortless learning.

Otherwise, you can always utilise rote learning and repitition, or mnemonics.

Bardock42
Come on man. Vorsprung durch technik.

On topic- there is no 'major trick'.

Interest is the key to effortless learning.

Otherwise, you can always utilise rote learning and repitition, or mnemonics.

Well, alright...if he said that..he got some point....but that'S just one sentence....

On Topic:
What'S up with people answering on topics nowadays...how extraordinarily weird....

Really on topic:

As said before Interest does help verymuch, being good is never wrong either...and excedpt for that studying might be the major key to do good in school...

Victor Von Doom
Well, alright...if he said that..he got some point....but that'S just one sentence....

He didn't say it, I was calling on your innate German efficiency.

Trickster

Bardock42
He didn't say it, I was calling on your innate German efficiency.
Damit, so you got me to agree cause I was conditioned since birth.....although Heidegger is quite inefficent... think another author...lets take Nietzsche since he is God....could have written what he said in 200 pages on aboot 10 ....oh and people would have understood....

Victor Von Doom
Damit, so you got me to agree cause I was conditioned since birth.....although Heidegger is quite inefficent... think another author...lets take Nietzsche since he is God....could have written what he said in 200 pages on aboot 10 ....oh and people would have understood....

Nietzsche always tried to do that though.

He could have ten books worth of thought, and he'd condense it into one aphorism like 'Man always eats breakfast, but if he does not eat all day, what should we call his nighttime meal?'

Bardock42

He could have ten books worth of thought, and he'd condense it into one aphorism like 'Man always eats breakfast, but if he does not eat all day, what should we call his nighttime meal?'

Yeah well...the way you say that Nietzsche could probably cut Heideggers work down to one word...would probably be "Bein" or something....well to be honest I am jkind of biased against Heidegger..I have an unreasonable hate for him.-..I guesss I'll have to cure it at some point....

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Trickster
I've always done well learning things off-curriculum, then incorporating them into my answer - several times changing the question gets you a better mark.

I don't mean for things like History, but Maths & Science etc. Where you don't actually need embellish on your answer.

KharmaDog

I'd say.........brupper.

Victor Von Doom
Mother Simpson: How many roads must a man walk down / Before you can call him a man...
Homer: Seven.
Lisa: No, dad, it's a rhetorical question.
Homer: OK, eight!
Lisa: Dad, do you even know what "rhetorical" means?
Homer: Do *I* know what "rhetorical" means!?

Lana

§P0oONY
Ever written essays for a science class?

laughing out loud

Nope,

The question was Exam.

Lana
We always had essays on our exams.

PVS
yeah, i had essay exams too

Twilight Janick
D'oh! Quebec's curriculum is what's closest to the European programs in North America.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.