KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » What's the major trick to ace exams without studying?

What's the major trick to ace exams without studying?
Started by: Twilight Janick

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

What's the major trick to ace exams without studying?

There are three main theories about acing exams without studying: either extreme intellects, for which I disagree, extreme memories, for which I disagree too, and finally, telepathy, which is the one theory I am ready to stick to.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 03:50 PM
FE Expert is currently offline Click here to Send FE Expert a Private Message Find more posts by FE Expert Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

take somethign really easy

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 03:54 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i do relatively little studying for exams...simply because i have an innate ability to remember what i'm taught...its done me in good stead over the last couple of years

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 04:02 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

for me, the trick is to take interest in the course you take and pay attention to class lectures. dont be one of those people that only place priority in scribbling down your professor's lecture onto your notebook without understanding them. i found that a clear head and open ears are more valuable than note taking. mind you, im not saying to forsake notetaking, but if you find yourself completely uninterested in the subject, and find yourself simply taking down a dictation like a secretary...you're not in the right class or perhaps have a shitty professor.

i hardly ever studied in school. if you keep the right state of mind, all you will have to do before exams is review what you already know.
but then again, like jaden, i seemed to have a natural edge over others who seemed to have to work harder at commiting information to memory. so really there is no single trick that works for everyone.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 04:22 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Not much to add to what's already been said except that achieving an understanding of something usually helps a lot more in committing it to memory than simply rote learning it (except of course when rote learning is the only applicable method such as with foreign vocabulary).

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 04:40 PM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

You only pass exams with revision, unless the subject is maths based and you know all, and how to use and apply all equationssmile

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 04:41 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dawsey28

For math, the more you practice, the better you get at it.

That is how I studied for math. I practiced the problems until they were second nature. It sounds like a lot of work, but it does help.

xmarksthespot
I actually got an understanding of how foreign languages worked by using what I learned in English and grammar classes.

For example, if you know what a direct object is and how it works in the English language, then it is easier to understand how it works in Spanish because you have something to compare it to.

Someone who has no idea what a direct object is or how it works would have a hard time understanding when the Spanish teacher is talking about it. (then again, I only studied Latin based languages like Spanish and French.)

Well, that is what worked for me. I don't know if it would work for everyone.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 05:33 PM
dawsey28 is currently offline Click here to Send dawsey28 a Private Message Find more posts by dawsey28 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

the trick is to be able to remember things in lectures, like jaden said. i also have the ability to remember things EXTREMLY well, so long as it was spoken to me, word for word sometimes. i have a photographic memory, only for sound *thinks* yea...

it annoys my friends cause the "i didnt say that" never works with me.

other then listing well....

you pretty much gotta read the material.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 06:43 PM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
the trick is to be able to remember things in lectures, like jaden said. i also have the ability to remember things EXTREMLY well, so long as it was spoken to me, word for word sometimes. i have a photographic memory, only for sound *thinks* yea...

it annoys my friends cause the "i didnt say that" never works with me.

other then listing well....

you pretty much gotta read the material.

I think it depends on the subject are you a humanities, Science or Social Science studentbig grin

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 06:45 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Philosophy...

lots and lots and lots and lots......

just lots of reading...lol, all it is is reading.

reading/lectures

although i specialize in logic and logic equations. as well as history of philosophy.

and the logic stuff is basically math, and so it involves lots of practice, no matter how good you listen.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 06:52 PM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Interesting stuff

I did my first degree in molecular biology but I enjoyed epistemology a lot.

I believe no matter how bright someone is revision always helps, thats what I tell my studentsbig grin

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 07:08 PM
RedAlertv2

If we're talking math or science, it is good to grasp the whole concept you are being taught. That will make it easier to figure out all of the smaller details using the knowledge you already have.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 08:06 PM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Being lucky or cheating is really the only way you are going to pass without studying. Unless of course you pay attention and enjoy your course, but you still would need to study

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 12:08 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
whobdamandog
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: What's the major trick to ace exams without studying?

Originally posted by Twilight Janick
There are three main theories about acing exams without studying: either extreme intellects, for which I disagree, extreme memories, for which I disagree too, and finally, telepathy, which is the one theory I am ready to stick to.

Nice theories..but you overlooked the obvious..CHEATING...wink

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 01:47 AM
whobdamandog is currently offline Click here to Send whobdamandog a Private Message Find more posts by whobdamandog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Next Venom_girl
Scream

You basically have 3 options.
1) Be smart / have a good memory already.
2) Pay attention and take notes during the entire semester. Writing it down will help you with recall later.
3) Cheat.

Girls Kick Butt!Respect Venom|Respect Black Canary|Respect Namor|Respect Hellsing|The Official Symbiote Thread&Picture Thread

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 01:51 AM
Next Venom_girl is currently offline Click here to Send Next Venom_girl a Private Message Find more posts by Next Venom_girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

This thread isnt very relevant seeing as how its summer vacation. Unless you're in summer school. And if your the type of person in summer school, you need to do all the studying you can

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 03:26 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

Be me

I don't study, for my advanced functions and relations math final this year, I spent like 15 minutes just looking through the chapters, nothing more.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 03:40 AM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

Originally posted by RedAlertv2
This thread isnt very relevant seeing as how its summer vacation. Unless you're in summer school. And if your the type of person in summer school, you need to do all the studying you can

That's presumptuous, many people aren't North American, classes are going as we speak in like Australia and etc. Not to mention many university, or high school, students fast track through summer school, so there could be many reasons, not dealing with intelligence, for being in school right now roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 03:43 AM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

We're on holidays too miss silver

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 03:55 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

Then it was someone from New Zealand who told me they're at school big grin

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 04:33 AM