Tolerance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
I'm starting to hate that word....goodness gracious...stand for something. Don't let "what's right for you is right for you but not for me" rule your decisions and actions.

Yes, people have different ideas about what is right and wrong....and differing opinions on topics from favorite color to death penalty to abortion to war, etc....but absolute toleration is akin to believing in nothing.

There's lots of gray but sometimes you just have to pick a darn side and defend it.

Okay ranting done.

Ron Jeremy
Originally posted by Julie
I'm starting to hate that word....goodness gracious...stand for something. Don't let "what's right for you is right for you but not for me" rule your decisions and actions.

Yes, people have different ideas about what is right and wrong....and differing opinions on topics from favorite color to death penalty to abortion to war, etc....but absolute toleration is akin to believing in nothing.

There's lots of gray but sometimes you just have to pick a darn side and defend it.

Okay ranting done.

I believe in humanity

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=353641&highlight=humanity

I agree with your assumptions and they are highlighted in this thread.

Julie
Thanks...sometimes I just need to rant...it's edifying:-)

Ron Jeremy
Thanks...sometimes I just need to rant...it's edifying:-)

No probs and yes it is sometimes

Victor Von Doom
It's a horrible word in any case. It implies putting up with something.

It's especially horrible in the phrase 'racial tolerance'.

I don't think you need to be intolerant to argue your own beliefs strongly though.

Alpha Centauri
People are mostly scared and ashamed of their own inability to back up their beliefs, so they think it's easy to just request tolerance.

-AC

PVS
there is no such thing as "absolute toleration"

tolerate:

1. To allow without prohibiting or opposing; permit.
2. To recognize and respect (the rights, beliefs, or practices of others).
3. To put up with; endure.

...or better yet, simply not ****ing with people.

and of coarse the word has been exploited by high powered
attention whores on all sides. just learn to ignore them and
you might like the word again

Ron Jeremy
Originally posted by PVS
there is no such thing as "absolute toleration"

Nope, nor absolute even smile I agree

KharmaDog
I prefer apathy to tolerance. Well, I do most of the time anyway.

BackFire
"Death-camp of tolerance". Great south park episode, see it ASAP.

Shakyamunison
I agree, defend what you believe but never slander.

Capt_Fantastic
i agree with Vic, tolerance is one of those thinly-veiled, PC terms that really implies insult.

If anyone who knows my outlook on many social issues, I don't support tolerance. I support a strong sense of knowing the consequences of your actions. Everyone here knows I'm gay, but I don't ask for people to tolerate me, or accept me...or any other gay person out there. I ask that more be done to combat social inequities...like hate crimes. The minister that stood outside Matthew Shepards funneral and screamed "****! burn in hell!" should have spent time in jail for it. Sure everyone deserves freedom, but if you aren't born with good taste, then perhaps society and the law should force it on people.

Alpha Centauri
Whoa whoa whoa. Now hold on just a darn tootin' second...

You're gay?

(Just remembered this is KMC. For those out there, I am joking. I know he's gay.)

-AC

FeceMan

Okay ranting done.
Indeed. Only I would have put it more vehemently.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Whoa whoa whoa. Now hold on just a darn tootin' second...

You're gay?

(Just remembered this is KMC. For those out there, I am joking. I know he's gay.)

-AC

You know, you were one of about four people I knew were going to pick that one point out and exploit it...

Cheers for getting there first.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
i agree with Vic, tolerance is one of those thinly-veiled, PC terms that really implies insult.

If anyone who knows my outlook on many social issues, I don't support tolerance. I support a strong sense of knowing the consequences of your actions. Everyone here knows I'm gay, but I don't ask for people to tolerate me, or accept me...or any other gay person out there. I ask that more be done to combat social inequities...like hate crimes. The minister that stood outside Matthew Shepards funneral and screamed "****! burn in hell!" should have spent time in jail for it. Sure everyone deserves freedom, but if you aren't born with good taste, then perhaps society and the law should force it on people.
Didn't you say that hate speech should be allowed in that other thread?

*Scratches his head.*

Fire
Absolute Tolerance is completely insane, cause then you start to tolerate groups who do not tolerate everyone or everything.

Tolerance to a fair degree is necessairy, people are different, they have different skin colors, different sexual orientations, different tastes, different genders, different nationalities, different religions and so on.
If you can't tolerate that wel than that's your bloody problem.

However once you start acting out of intolerance and you assault, harrash, offend or threaten people you cross a line and you should pay the price for your crimes of intolerance.

Ron Jeremy
Originally posted by FeceMan

*Scratches his head.*

yes he did

River Wild
It depends on the person! On how he/she tolerate things around!

botankus
Well, we all have to tolerate KidRock on this board wink, so I'd say we have pretty darn good experience at it.

PVS
'tolerance' doesnt mean you have to put up with someone's shit because they're different. it simply means you shouldnt give them just on the grounds that they're different.

lil bitchiness

Okay ranting done.

Actually, I hate the word tolerance as well.

To tolerate something or someone is to be annoyed or hate it by it, but put up with it.

Hardly a way to describe co-existing with people of different colour, religion or creed.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS
'tolerance' doesnt mean you have to put up with someone's shit because they're different. it simply means you shouldnt give them just on the grounds that they're different.

Perhaps ''co-existing'' would be better than ''tolerate''

PVS
if we could somehow rid the world of bigots and racists, we really wouldnt need a word

Storm
To me, tolerance refers to an attitude of openness and respect for the differences that exist among people, not about accepting bad behavior.

Capt_Fantastic

*Scratches his head.*

I said in American culture, it is allowed. If we're going to honor the US contitution, then it is allowed. I'm talking about how the world would be if I had a say in the matter.

So, while you and shitstain might think you've caught me in a contradiction, you're both wrong.

botankus
Originally posted by Storm
To me, tolerance refers to an attitude of openness and respect for the differences that exist among people,

Yes, and unfortunately there is not enough of it. And I mean ALL differences, not just sexual orientation or race.

idowhatiamtold
Tolerate is negative either way... it's like "i don't agree, or i don't like this" but I will tolerate for the sake of appearing okay with it.. iit is actually pretty amusing to me.

FeceMan
I said in American culture, it is allowed. If we're going to honor the US contitution, then it is allowed. I'm talking about how the world would be if I had a say in the matter.

So, while you and shitstain might think you've caught me in a contradiction, you're both wrong.
Rawr, that kitten has claws.

Natural attack: +1 Bitchiness.

Requires a ranged touch attack. On a successful attack roll, targets must make a Will save equal to character level or Hit Dice + Charisma modifier + 2 (depending on the time of the month). Targets who fail their Will saves must log off of KMC for the rest of the day.

debbiejo
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Perhaps ''co-existing'' would be better than ''tolerate''
Why should we tolerate anybody....aren't we all the same anyway?...It's only our experiences that make us come to what we view things now....so, I agree with this statement.

Capt_Fantastic
Rawr, that kitten has claws.

Natural attack: +1 Bitchiness.

Requires a ranged touch attack. On a successful attack roll, targets must make a Will save equal to character level or Hit Dice + Charisma modifier + 2 (depending on the time of the month). Targets who fail their Will saves must log off of KMC for the rest of the day.

I'm affraid I don't speak that language...

Himo
I was wondering what people's policies on tolerating others. Those who disagree, insult, piss on, etc. your beliefs.

DigiMark007
I'm pretty good about not letting things bother me. If someone's horrible to me, I don't dwell on it, and I'm also good about the forgiveness aspect of it.

Within the moment, however, I'm likely to get overly angry and tell the person exactly what I think about their words/actions. I've never resorted to violence, since I'm against that sort of thing, but have taken part in a decent number of heated arguments.

Deus Venèficus
What people think of my beliefs doesn't really bother me all that much. Outright insulting me for being a Christian when I have done nothing to warrant the insult does aggravate me, but I'm very tolerant towards other's opinions.

I've been friends with Satanists, Wiccans, Muslims, Buddhists... you name it. In all I care little about other's religious beliefs. To me it is the person that matters, not their religious beliefs.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6797/sign7bz.png

mechmoggy
To me "tolerance" is the amount a measurable quantity can deviate from the nominal. geek

Bardock42
Total tolerance of everything is a rather stupid way to go, but generally tolerance can be a good thing. To accept the rights and opinions of others even though they contradict or go against your own opinion and feelings seems like a good thing.

Robtard
I'm affraid I don't speak that language...

It's Gary Gygax speech...

Basically, if he fails to roll a 14 or higher on a die 20 he has to log off.

Nogoodnamesleft
I have no intention of believing in any of this "tolerance" bullshit.

Alliance
and why is that?

FeceMan

Okay ranting done.
I didn't bump it, but I'll still give it a 'QFT' tag. Though, I'm beginning to feel the same way about the word 'rights'.

Nogoodnamesleft
Originally posted by Alliance
and why is that?

If I don't want to tolerate somebody, then I don't have to.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Nogoodnamesleft
I have no intention of believing in any of this "tolerance" bullshit.

So you'd be all for a "Zero Tolerance" policy against any political minority ?

Wow....dictator like big grin

GCG
Tolerating the intolerant.

Bardock42
I didn't bump it, but I'll still give it a 'QFT' tag. Though, I'm beginning to feel the same way about the word 'rights'.

Kidding again, I assume?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.