KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Tolerance

Tolerance
Started by: Julie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Julie
The Student

Tolerance

I'm starting to hate that word....goodness gracious...stand for something. Don't let "what's right for you is right for you but not for me" rule your decisions and actions.

Yes, people have different ideas about what is right and wrong....and differing opinions on topics from favorite color to death penalty to abortion to war, etc....but absolute toleration is akin to believing in nothing.

There's lots of gray but sometimes you just have to pick a darn side and defend it.

Okay ranting done.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2005 11:55 PM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Tolerance

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Julie
I'm starting to hate that word....goodness gracious...stand for something. Don't let "what's right for you is right for you but not for me" rule your decisions and actions.

Yes, people have different ideas about what is right and wrong....and differing opinions on topics from favorite color to death penalty to abortion to war, etc....but absolute toleration is akin to believing in nothing.

There's lots of gray but sometimes you just have to pick a darn side and defend it.

Okay ranting done.

I believe in humanity

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...hlight=humanity

I agree with your assumptions and they are highlighted in this thread.

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Nov 21st, 2005 11:58 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

Thanks...sometimes I just need to rant...it's edifying:-)

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 12:01 AM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thanks...sometimes I just need to rant...it's edifying:-)

No probs and yes it is sometimes

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 12:12 AM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

It's a horrible word in any case. It implies putting up with something.

It's especially horrible in the phrase 'racial tolerance'.

I don't think you need to be intolerant to argue your own beliefs strongly though.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 12:32 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

People are mostly scared and ashamed of their own inability to back up their beliefs, so they think it's easy to just request tolerance.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 12:40 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

there is no such thing as "absolute toleration"

tolerate:

1. To allow without prohibiting or opposing; permit.
2. To recognize and respect (the rights, beliefs, or practices of others).
3. To put up with; endure.

...or better yet, simply not ****ing with people.

and of coarse the word has been exploited by high powered
attention whores on all sides. just learn to ignore them and
you might like the word again

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 12:44 AM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by PVS
there is no such thing as "absolute toleration"

Nope, nor absolute even smile I agree

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 12:46 AM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

I prefer apathy to tolerance. Well, I do most of the time anyway.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 01:46 AM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

"Death-camp of tolerance". Great south park episode, see it ASAP.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 01:52 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I agree, defend what you believe but never slander.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 01:55 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

i agree with Vic, tolerance is one of those thinly-veiled, PC terms that really implies insult.

If anyone who knows my outlook on many social issues, I don't support tolerance. I support a strong sense of knowing the consequences of your actions. Everyone here knows I'm gay, but I don't ask for people to tolerate me, or accept me...or any other gay person out there. I ask that more be done to combat social inequities...like hate crimes. The minister that stood outside Matthew Shepards funneral and screamed "****! burn in hell!" should have spent time in jail for it. Sure everyone deserves freedom, but if you aren't born with good taste, then perhaps society and the law should force it on people.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 02:24 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Whoa whoa whoa. Now hold on just a darn tootin' second...

You're gay?

(Just remembered this is KMC. For those out there, I am joking. I know he's gay.)

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 02:29 AM

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 02:27 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Okay ranting done.

Indeed. Only I would have put it more vehemently.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 02:34 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Whoa whoa whoa. Now hold on just a darn tootin' second...

You're gay?

(Just remembered this is KMC. For those out there, I am joking. I know he's gay.)

-AC

You know, you were one of about four people I knew were going to pick that one point out and exploit it...

Cheers for getting there first.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 02:39 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
i agree with Vic, tolerance is one of those thinly-veiled, PC terms that really implies insult.

If anyone who knows my outlook on many social issues, I don't support tolerance. I support a strong sense of knowing the consequences of your actions. Everyone here knows I'm gay, but I don't ask for people to tolerate me, or accept me...or any other gay person out there. I ask that more be done to combat social inequities...like hate crimes. The minister that stood outside Matthew Shepards funneral and screamed "****! burn in hell!" should have spent time in jail for it. Sure everyone deserves freedom, but if you aren't born with good taste, then perhaps society and the law should force it on people.

Didn't you say that hate speech should be allowed in that other thread?

*Scratches his head.*

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 03:10 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Absolute Tolerance is completely insane, cause then you start to tolerate groups who do not tolerate everyone or everything.

Tolerance to a fair degree is necessairy, people are different, they have different skin colors, different sexual orientations, different tastes, different genders, different nationalities, different religions and so on.
If you can't tolerate that wel than that's your bloody problem.

However once you start acting out of intolerance and you assault, harrash, offend or threaten people you cross a line and you should pay the price for your crimes of intolerance.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 07:19 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by FeceMan
Didn't you say that hate speech should be allowed in that other thread?

*Scratches his head.*

yes he did

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 10:03 AM
River Wild

It depends on the person! On how he/she tolerate things around!

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 11:59 AM
River Wild is currently offline Click here to Send River Wild a Private Message Find more posts by River Wild Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Well, we all have to tolerate KidRock on this board wink, so I'd say we have pretty darn good experience at it.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 12:25 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote