1 and 1/2 half billion years!?!?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BobbyD
...was watching the History planet last night, and there was a pretty neat episode about the birth of our planet, if anyone happened to peek in. Anyhow, I thought it was absolutely amazing that it took the planet about 1 and 1/2 billion years to convert all the rust in the oceans to oxygen?! eek! I mean, these are the processes that were necessary for a planet to support something so fragile as life? I was stupified. huh

Heck, my facts could wrong, about the timeline and what not, but I'm thinking I recalled correctly.

ladygrim
woah thats a very long time

* i too tho like watching history/science programs .....

Sir Whirlysplat
Read John D. Barrow "The origin of the Universe" time scales get freaky.
Anything by Dawkins or Stewart bangs the point home.

debbiejo
Still they are only theories...But I also love the History and Science channels.

Echuu
Originally posted by debbiejo
Still they are only theories...

Shhhhh.... You may get yelled at... stick out tongue

PVS
*waves bible* LIES!!!! ALL LIES!!!!!!
BURN THE HERETICS!!!!!!!! stick out tongue

Echuu
Originally posted by PVS
*waves bible* LIES!!!! ALL LIES!!!!!!
BURN THE HERETICS!!!!!!!! stick out tongue

laughing out loud oh yeah I forgot that part.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by BobbyD
...was watching the History planet last night, and there was a pretty neat episode about the birth of our planet, if anyone happened to peek in. Anyhow, I thought it was absolutely amazing that it took the planet about 1 and 1/2 billion years to convert all the rust in the oceans to oxygen?! eek! I mean, these are the processes that were necessary for a planet to support something so fragile as life? I was stupified. huh

Heck, my facts could wrong, about the timeline and what not, but I'm thinking I recalled correctly.

Amazing that it only took that long. big grin

rej1587
Wow...that's crazy.

debbiejo
^ your "buy my hopes and dreams" is an emply box? blink

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by BobbyD

It was the National Geographic Channel. And I watched it all. The theory was that debris and such from space flew down and had 20% water and a good amount of clay made up of them and the water took millions of years to create our oceans. Then came the theory of the rusting.

BobbyD
Yes, Daniels! That was it! My bad, all. embarrasment

Wasn't it fascinating? To think our planet didn't even START OUT with water..... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Capt_Fantastic
I think I'll just step over this thread.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

Good plan smile

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

Oh! come on. Think of the damage you could do. big grin

Magee
It is truly amazing how old our planet is, about 4.7 billion years old! And the universe is estimated at about 15 billion years. it took almost 2 billions yrs for our planet to create an atmosphere, oxygen etc. And before there was any oxygen on Earth primitive life survived on carbon dioxide, which refers back to the rusting of all these lifeforms when oxygen was created.

Mindship
What I find amazing is that, given our planet is about 4.5 billion years old, life started up "only" about 600 million years later (about 3.9 billion years ago). It's as if life "couldn't wait" to get started.

It used to be thought that life was "fragile." Now the CW is life is very, very tenacious and opportunistic. Given a fraction of a chance, it will not just survive but thrive.

What I also find perhaps more astounding is that scientists are suspecting a) life didn't begin in some "primordial organic soup," but may've begun underground; and b) that the vast bulk of the Terran biosphere may, in fact, be below ground; that what's visible and familiar may be but a "smear" on the surface.

Kinda like the dark matter thing: everything we've ever studied about the universe, from the first caveman on, gazing upon all that celestial luminosity, is but a tiny fraction of all the stuff that's out there.

All this time, we've been studying the foam on the surface, ignorant of the ocean beneath.

Who was it that said, not that long ago, something about "the end of physics" (Hawking)? Man, I want whatever he was smokin'

Echuu
These are all theories, mind you.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Echuu
These are all theories, mind you.

Saying that these are all just theories is a why to dismiss them. The idea, in the bible, that the Earth is only 6,000 years old is just a theory. So, which theory has the most evidence backing it up?

Echuu
I'm not dismissing them. The biblical creation of the world is also a theory and I admit that.

I think there is actually plenty of evidence against eveolution but people refuse to look for it and even when it is right in front of them they still don't care.

Shakyamunison
I'm not dismissing them. The biblical creation of the world is also a theory and I admit that.

I think there is actually plenty of evidence against eveolution but people refuse to look for it and even when it is right in front of them they still don't care.

Don't look for evidence against (that is not scientific) look for evidence to support your favorite theory, then let the scientific community judge witch is the best theory.

debbiejo
Yeah, I think you have to kinda support you fav. theory, because there are holes in both evolution also....

Maybe it's a theory that hasn't been presented yet.

Sir Whirlysplat
confused Madness again - The world is.......... flat no

Echuu
You don't seem to understand... You CAN'T do that because the scientific community despises the creationist viewpoint. They aren't going to listen to a thing you say.

I could phrase it this way... there is plenty of evidence in this world that disproves the theory of evolution.

Shakyamunison
You don't seem to understand... You CAN'T do that because the scientific community despises the creationist viewpoint. They aren't going to listen to a thing you say.

I could phrase it this way... there is plenty of evidence in this world that disproves the theory of evolution.

You can't prove a negative. That is not how things work.

debbiejo
Well the problem with evolution is what started the "Big Bang"....That could be possibly found in quantum physics.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
Well the problem with evolution is what started the "Big Bang"....That could be possibly found in quantum physics.

That is assuming that the big bang was the beginning. I believe that there is no beginning. The big band was just the last one and we will end up in a big crunch, then another big band and so forth and so on. big grin

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
That is assuming that the big bang was the beginning. I believe that there is no beginning. The big band was just the last one and we will end up in a big crunch, then another big band and so forth and so on. big grin Another theory, though don't know what it's called, is that it all cyclical. Circular, never ending.

Echuu
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You can't prove a negative. That is not how things work.

So be it but that wasn't exactly my point.

Mindship
IMO: The story of creation in the Bible is - strictly speaking - Not a theory: it is not presented as a statement to test out scientifically. That some choose to regard it as a theory is another story. In the past, when religion tried to take over the role of scientist you got the Medieval Church.

IMO: The Bible is to be respected for what it does present: metaphor as a means of understanding the moral and spiritual dimension of human being. It should also be kept in the mind that its writings - to a large extent - reflect the period of history it was written in.

IMO: To state that what Science reveals is a theory is to acknowledge that science strives to present statements which can be tried through scientific method (aka "applied common sense"wink. At least with regard to understanding the physical and biological world, science presents the most accurate "map of the territory," the best "as ifs".

lowrider370
yes it is also said that from research from other planets mostly mars that our planet is already 1/2 way through its life span then the core will fail ending life slowly the theory for how earth began is well just a theory the rusting thing is the strongest but the rapid boiling of the oceans during a certain period can't remember what it was clalled created large islands and they say parts of contients thats why today contients are so called sinking eg it estimated by 2025 where i live in south america the capital city will be under water. this is by the rising of oceans. its also amazing how earth tries to balance do u know that with the current heating of the athmosphere whenever a volcano erupts the contents it puts in the air cool it by a certain percent i believe that if our earth heats rapidaly we will again see lots of eruptions but the question in the theory is what will cause these eruptions. also if the polor ice caps melt rapid what will happen. what is in store for this planet that we are destroying. eg aroung september i saw a story on bbc where they said that the oceans in the sub artic zone sholud have already be frozen but they were not this was sign that the earth is heating up

meep-meep
I just wanted to say I really like you guys and girls in the this forum. Most of ya'll are smart and understanding with big hearts who really listen to what people got to say. Ya'll are great! Ok I'm done.

meep-meep
Well I should narrow my liking to most of the people in this thread and some of the people in this forum.

MC Mike
huh Happy Holidays to you too...

That seems about right. 1.5 billion years? Yep.

Theories, theories, theories...

Gravity is a theory. The only diffrence between it and Evolution is real-time experiments... evolution is gradual.

But that's for a different thread.

Snoopbert
Originally posted by lowrider370
yes it is also said that from research from other planets mostly mars that our planet is already 1/2 way through its life span then the core will fail ending life slowly the theory for how earth began is well just a theory the rusting thing is the strongest but the rapid boiling of the oceans during a certain period can't remember what it was clalled created large islands and they say parts of contients thats why today contients are so called sinking eg it estimated by 2025 where i live in south america the capital city will be under water. this is by the rising of oceans. its also amazing how earth tries to balance do u know that with the current heating of the athmosphere whenever a volcano erupts the contents it puts in the air cool it by a certain percent i believe that if our earth heats rapidaly we will again see lots of eruptions but the question in the theory is what will cause these eruptions. also if the polor ice caps melt rapid what will happen. what is in store for this planet that we are destroying. eg aroung september i saw a story on bbc where they said that the oceans in the sub artic zone sholud have already be frozen but they were not this was sign that the earth is heating up Huh.

lowrider370

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.