KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » 1 and 1/2 half billion years!?!?

1 and 1/2 half billion years!?!?
Started by: BobbyD

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BobbyD
Animal Lover

1 and 1/2 half billion years!?!?

...was watching the History planet last night, and there was a pretty neat episode about the birth of our planet, if anyone happened to peek in. Anyhow, I thought it was absolutely amazing that it took the planet about 1 and 1/2 billion years to convert all the rust in the oceans to oxygen?! eek! I mean, these are the processes that were necessary for a planet to support something so fragile as life? I was stupified. huh

Heck, my facts could wrong, about the timeline and what not, but I'm thinking I recalled correctly.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 02:15 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

woah thats a very long time

* i too tho like watching history/science programs .....

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 02:23 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Read John D. Barrow "The origin of the Universe" time scales get freaky.
Anything by Dawkins or Stewart bangs the point home.

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 02:30 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Still they are only theories...But I also love the History and Science channels.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 02:40 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Echuu
Master Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by debbiejo
Still they are only theories...

Shhhhh.... You may get yelled at... stick out tongue

"Jesus also thought that non-believers should be stoned"------Alliance

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 04:11 PM
Echuu is currently offline Click here to Send Echuu a Private Message Find more posts by Echuu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

*waves bible* LIES!!!! ALL LIES!!!!!!
BURN THE HERETICS!!!!!!!! stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 04:16 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Echuu
Master Jedi

Originally posted by PVS
*waves bible* LIES!!!! ALL LIES!!!!!!
BURN THE HERETICS!!!!!!!! stick out tongue

laughing out loud oh yeah I forgot that part.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 04:43 PM
Echuu is currently offline Click here to Send Echuu a Private Message Find more posts by Echuu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: 1 and 1/2 half billion years!?!?

Originally posted by BobbyD
...was watching the History planet last night, and there was a pretty neat episode about the birth of our planet, if anyone happened to peek in. Anyhow, I thought it was absolutely amazing that it took the planet about 1 and 1/2 billion years to convert all the rust in the oceans to oxygen?! eek! I mean, these are the processes that were necessary for a planet to support something so fragile as life? I was stupified. huh

Heck, my facts could wrong, about the timeline and what not, but I'm thinking I recalled correctly.

Amazing that it only took that long. big grin

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 05:27 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rej1587

Wow...that's crazy.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 09:19 PM
rej1587 is currently offline Click here to Send rej1587 a Private Message Find more posts by rej1587 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

^ your "buy my hopes and dreams" is an emply box? blink

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 09:26 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

Originally posted by BobbyD

It was the National Geographic Channel. And I watched it all. The theory was that debris and such from space flew down and had 20% water and a good amount of clay made up of them and the water took millions of years to create our oceans. Then came the theory of the rusting.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 09:31 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Yes, Daniels! That was it! My bad, all. embarrasment

Wasn't it fascinating? To think our planet didn't even START OUT with water..... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 09:59 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think I'll just step over this thread.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 11:34 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

Good plan smile

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 11:36 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

Oh! come on. Think of the damage you could do. big grin

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 11:37 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

It is truly amazing how old our planet is, about 4.7 billion years old! And the universe is estimated at about 15 billion years. it took almost 2 billions yrs for our planet to create an atmosphere, oxygen etc. And before there was any oxygen on Earth primitive life survived on carbon dioxide, which refers back to the rusting of all these lifeforms when oxygen was created.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 11:47 AM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

What I find amazing is that, given our planet is about 4.5 billion years old, life started up "only" about 600 million years later (about 3.9 billion years ago). It's as if life "couldn't wait" to get started.

It used to be thought that life was "fragile." Now the CW is life is very, very tenacious and opportunistic. Given a fraction of a chance, it will not just survive but thrive.

What I also find perhaps more astounding is that scientists are suspecting a) life didn't begin in some "primordial organic soup," but may've begun underground; and b) that the vast bulk of the Terran biosphere may, in fact, be below ground; that what's visible and familiar may be but a "smear" on the surface.

Kinda like the dark matter thing: everything we've ever studied about the universe, from the first caveman on, gazing upon all that celestial luminosity, is but a tiny fraction of all the stuff that's out there.

All this time, we've been studying the foam on the surface, ignorant of the ocean beneath.

Who was it that said, not that long ago, something about "the end of physics" (Hawking)? Man, I want whatever he was smokin'

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 12:38 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Echuu
Master Jedi

These are all theories, mind you.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 04:39 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Echuu
These are all theories, mind you.

Saying that these are all just theories is a why to dismiss them. The idea, in the bible, that the Earth is only 6,000 years old is just a theory. So, which theory has the most evidence backing it up?

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 04:44 PM
Echuu
Master Jedi

I'm not dismissing them. The biblical creation of the world is also a theory and I admit that.

I think there is actually plenty of evidence against eveolution but people refuse to look for it and even when it is right in front of them they still don't care.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 04:52 PM