Why the poor saber style?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

craft-a-saber
i might come across as a bit thick here but surely as the original trilogy is set in the time after ROTS surely the fighting style would be better although i do love the saber duels in ROTS i do think that maybe GL made a mistake with that

what are your thoughts

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by craft-a-saber
i might come across as a bit thick here but surely as the original trilogy is set in the time after ROTS surely the fighting style would be better although i do love the saber duels in ROTS i do think that maybe GL made a mistake with that

what are your thoughts

two things.

1.They were not that good when they first filmed the movies. (knowone had done laser sword fighting on film before) so they really couldn't get crazy with it.

2. It is meant to be time in the PT that Jedi's were really good at what they were doing. But after Rots it was a major fall out of that skill and the only people who knew how to do it were Vader, sidious, Obiwan and yoda during the OT. But vader was a stiff machine man, and everyone else was old and waaaaaayyyy out of their prime. So Luke tried the best he could, and had hardly any training.

Its like someone handing you a typewriter and telling you to write a 15 page paper on something proofread and all.

You wouldn't know the first damn thing about fixing your mistakes on a type writer, but people 25 years ago sure did.

craft-a-saber
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
two things.

1.They were not that good when they first filmed the movies. (knowone had done laser sword fighting on film before) so they really couldn't get crazy with it.

2. It is meant to be time in the PT that Jedi's were really good at what they were doing. But after Rots it was a major fall out of that skill and the only people who knew how to do it were Vader, sidious, Obiwan and yoda during the OT. But vader was a stiff machine man, and everyone else was old and waaaaaayyyy out of their prime. So Luke tried the best he could, and had hardly any training.

Its like someone handing you a typewriter and telling you to write a 15 page paper on something proofread and all.

You wouldn't know the first damn thing about fixing your mistakes on a type writer, but people 25 years ago sure did.

i can see where your coming from

but my point was if the originals fighting was so poor
why make the prequels fighting so good and if you talk about yoda being out of his prime i would have thought being 800 years + was old enough when he fought sidious i very much doubt that what was it 18 years made a difference yet yoda had some how been unable to make luke into some saber swinging lunatic on speed as yoda is when he fights sidious

i just think that GL made a mistake with the new fighting sequences

in TPM the only one with a cool fighting style is maul how do you explain that

DeVi| D0do
i might come across as a bit thick here
Indeed. The only smart thing you've said in this thread... yes

craft-a-saber
do you have a reason for that oppinion?

i post a thread

someone responds with a good argument

and then i reply

and then someone else replies with an insult and supposedly
i am the thick one hhmmmmm

DeVi| D0do
Indeed.

The Jedi were an extinct religion up until Luke was trained, there was no one to pass on the Saber techniques of the past generation of Jedi and Obi-Wan and Yoda had been out of action for too long... of course the fighting would be a bit sketchy to begin with.

Would you have preferred the fighting in the PT to be more ANH-style? Imagine how exciting that would be.

Not to mention the technical difficulties of doing saber fights twenty years ago...

craft-a-saber
yes very good but people are missing my point like the fact that GL should of at least made some characters have shit saber styles but even the youngling that tries to help senator organa is pretty cool(despite getting blasted)

and as i said why is darth maul the only one in TPM who has a decent fighting style do you not think that GL has gone over the top with ROTS
dont get me wrong i love the film but i think these are the sort of things that should be discussed here

oh dear i have actually used the word "youngling" in a serious conversation how embarrassing

Cascador
well isnt the lightsaberfighting also advancing in the OT? It's not the same but it is still advancing if you compare the obi vs. vader fight and the Jedi Luke vs. Vader fight. That's a big difference! Luke is younger and was just getting better...same with Anakin and Obi-Wan in the prequels.

craft-a-saber
yeah i suppose so

i realise it was really down to the fact that GL wanted to do something spectacular and gobsmacking with the PT finale and i cant blame him for it but i think that even if he had not added all these superb saber spins and swings the cinemas would have still been packed there are too many people that are dissapointed with how the PT has turned out realising that it has answered a few questions about the original trilogy i just feel that GL went for a bit too much wow factor and payed less attention to detail to the story and the friendship between obi-wan and anakin and how it drifted apart

for the people who loved the original trilogy(myself included) it has been a bit of a let down there are good examples of modern technology in film making(the special effects in arthur were stunning yet you didn't see arthur doing all these backflips and twists and spins)but i think the use of this technology in ROTS was purely for the wow factor and to sell more toy sabers

sithsaber408
Commas and periods are your friends. yes

craft-a-saber
ok fair comment mate

sorry guys i am just a little too quick to type what i want to say in case i forget halfway through embarrasment

Altar[1stONE]
I understand your point man, and you make a good one. Lucas really should have toned it down , because when you go from ROTS to ANH the difference in fighting is very extreme. Its so noticable that you would think that a sith lord and jedi master would be even better then when they last fought as knights. But I think lucas just wants us to go with the idea that , they are just old guys and cant cut it like they use to. I look at the PT now that its complete. And realize lucas had it right with episode 1, sure it wasnt my favorite story . However with the cgi and technology and even saber battles, it wasnt so over the top as compared to the next 2. I did get that feel, ok jedi in their prime , briging in the awesome staff saber , this is fresh but nastolgic. I could still sense the connection with the OT , and you couldnt say one was better then the other.

DeVi| D0do
If the saber fighting in the PT was any less intense they'd have been almost unwatchable...

Tangible God
The PT sabers fights were fair, Maul, I agree, was the best.

It was the unnecessary twirling, flipping and dancing of Qui-Gon and Yoda, the pointless swinging that Anakin and Obi-Wan did in the Mustafar control room. (their blades didn't even touch yet they were going at it like no tomorrow)

Yoda, IMO, had one of the worst and stupidest styles. He went EVERYWHERE in his fights. There was more of him doing the Kermit, than there was of him actually crossing blades.

Dooku was fair. And Palpatine and Mace were decent enough. Their fight seemed more ANH or ROTJ style, I liked it for that.

Lee-San28
the bad figthing definitly was only because of bad tecnology and george didnt decide to make jedi and sith super ninja and marshal arty like until the newer episodes george made yoda hop like that because he is a spawn of a frog

Captain REX
I agree with TG about the Palpatine and Mace fight, and Dooku's fighting style. All very refined.

You can look at the OT and say that Vader and Kenobi are now both pretty much Masters and are not trying to exert as much energy into their attacks, seeing as they have very little energy anyways.

That, or it's a cripple fighting an old man.

SpyCspider
i just feel that GL went for a bit too much wow factor and payed less attention to detail to the story and the friendship between obi-wan and anakin and how it drifted apart

yes that's a major gripe about the PTs in general...

somebody shoulda told him "less is more."

Watch the upcoming Indiana Jones 4 movie (Lucas-written) will have Indy or somebody doing crazy flips and Indy swinging from mountain to cliff with his whip like Spider-man

This question has been posted many times before and my explanation has simply been "they're using more Force..and less acrobatics."

OB1-adobe
Does anybody think i explained my answer well, and pretty much answered this doofis's question?

Captain REX
More Force and less acrobatics? They're using the Force to do the acrobatics. no expression

kalsemo
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Indeed. The only smart thing you've said in this thread... yes

laughing

lol. you crack me up.

craft-a-saber
Does anybody think i explained my answer well, and pretty much answered this doofis's question?

first if i post a thread you dont have to answer

and second why dont you read the replies i have put on here

i did say that you made a good point but it was your point you did not actually answer to mine

my point being that GL went over the top with Ep2+Ep3

so no i dont think i am a doofis and maybe that you are blind

craft-a-saber
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
If the saber fighting in the PT was any less intense they'd have been almost unwatchable...

only if you werent a fan of the original series alot of people just wanted answers to there questions and without all the swinging and spinning
they could still have had there answers

craft-a-saber
Originally posted by Captain REX
More Force and less acrobatics? They're using the Force to do the acrobatics. no expression

surely in that case ob1-adobe did not make that greater point at all cause yoda was still well in-tune with the force surely he could still have done the hopping around thing and taught luke some kick ass moves

Cascador
only if you werent a fan of the original series alot of people just wanted answers to there questions and without all the swinging and spinning
they could still have had there answers

That's maybe true...but they didn't try to catch the public who are fans of the old trilogy with these films, they were also trying to entertain a new generation, so the chances that they lost that public is bigger they came up with some poor lightsaberfighting.

craft-a-saber
i aint saying that the new saber style is poor i am saying that the old styles are and that if the OT is set before the PT then surely technology is more advanced and luke would be a better skill with the blade than darth but i see what you mean about aiming at a wider audience

Cascador
What I meant is that if they made the fighting in the PT more poor so that it doesn't look that different from the OT, THEN you have a big chance that you'll lose the audience...

These are just the Jedi in their glory days and fall...Luke was a new generation to begin with. That explains enough for me.

Jack Daniels
well Im not a pro but Ive sparred often with kendos(only when sober) and luke n daddys battle in ROTJ was a typical power style fight....only old azz obi n vader battle sucked.......but fer bein old with no tech enhancments he fended vader well enough...though Im old and a fan one of them that was a kid in line when ANH was in theatres...lol...so I like em all anyways....ESB Luke n Daddy battle was coolest I think though.....only maul n obi end fight stood out in PT in my opinion...the rest to flashy ...but then again Im fitting in old man categorywheelchair

craft-a-saber
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
well Im not a pro but Ive sparred often with kendos(only when sober) and luke n daddys battle in ROTJ was a typical power style fight....only old azz obi n vader battle sucked.......but fer bein old with no tech enhancments he fended vader well enough...though Im old and a fan one of them that was a kid in line when ANH was in theatres...lol...so I like em all anyways....ESB Luke n Daddy battle was coolest I think though.....only maul n obi end fight stood out in PT in my opinion...the rest to flashy ...but then again Im fitting in old man categorywheelchair

exactly what i have been trying too say except the bit about fighting with kendos i can only try that if i am drunk as it dont hurt as much

but thanks

Jack Daniels
I did that once drunk I had bruises up and down boxed2 n my buddy laughed his azz off the next day fish so every session after that was sober only....lol...starwars

craft-a-saber
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
I did that once drunk I had bruises up and down boxed2 n my buddy laughed his azz off the next day fish so every session after that was sober only....lol...starwars

yeah it hurts the most when they hit you in the shins that ****ing canes

do you get it canes lol

SpyCspider
Originally posted by Captain REX

using more Force doens't mean they HAVE to do more acrobatics...it just wasn't necessary IMO in the OT. That's how i justify the dullness of the duels. Like Obi and Darth's in ANH, where they're just probing each other's minds rather than go all out flying.

Ushgarak
George Lucas just thinks that EVERYONE was better in the Prequel days. That's how it is; it's his creation, after all.

OB1-adobe
surely in that case ob1-adobe did not make that greater point at all cause yoda was still well in-tune with the force surely he could still have done the hopping around thing and taught luke some kick ass moves

Oh jesus christ.

craft-a-saber
Oh jesus christ.

if you dont like it post on other threads

no one agreed to your little "am i right or what about this" attempt
cause perhaps no one agrees

so go and blastpheme else-ware

sithsaber408
if you dont like it post on other threads

no one agreed to your little "am i right or what about this" attempt
cause perhaps no one agrees

so go and blastpheme else-ware

laughing

one eye <----You're a n00b.

craft-a-saber
Originally posted by sithsaber408
laughing

one eye <----You're a n00b.

i am new to this forum yes but does that mean my oppinion is not valid

all you seem to do is rip the piss out of people

grow up

Blaxican_Jedi
Originally posted by Tangible God
The PT sabers fights were fair, Maul, I agree, was the best.

It was the unnecessary twirling, flipping and dancing of Qui-Gon and Yoda, the pointless swinging that Anakin and Obi-Wan did in the Mustafar control room. (their blades didn't even touch yet they were going at it like no tomorrow)

Yoda, IMO, had one of the worst and stupidest styles. He went EVERYWHERE in his fights. There was more of him doing the Kermit, than there was of him actually crossing blades.

Dooku was fair. And Palpatine and Mace were decent enough. Their fight seemed more ANH or ROTJ style, I liked it for that.

True, I noticed in the MAce vs. Sideous match that it was goin really slow, which was a good thing. Only thing is that if GL was hoping to show some of that good ol' Vapaad fury....it wasn't good enough.

BTW for anyone who has read most of the NJO books, what sabre style does luke use in the NJO?

Blaxican_Jedi
GL was tryign to catch the eye of this generation,. During the timeline of the OT, graphics and stuff were normaly crappy, and so people focused more on the acting itself and diologue rather than the technoligy involved. And to tell you the truth the graphics in GL's movies were stunning, the best of its time. But in our current generation we have already seen Final Fantasy" Advent children, Jurassic park, Microsofts crap. And now alot of people have high expectations for movies. And on top of it mosrt people are lazy, and are subject to eye candy more than talk. So GL could have used the same tech he used in the OT, and have better diolouge, or he could baffle us with BS. He did the latter. I can see his problem though. You can make a movie with absolutly no plot holes, great diolouge. But if no one went to see it, because they thought it was boring, than it wouldn't matter. He would ve screwed.

general_lloyd
I think that the Mace vs. Sideous match was the best and maybe should have been longer... its a shame that they gave yoda ages in episode two against the count for him to just look stupid and make ridiculous noises whilst jumping around. Also in the Mace vs. Sideous fight i think they held thier sabers over thier heads too much, it looked too controlled.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Blaxican_Jedi
True, I noticed in the MAce vs. Sideous match that it was goin really slow, which was a good thing. Only thing is that if GL was hoping to show some of that good ol' Vapaad fury....it wasn't good enough.

BTW for anyone who has read most of the NJO books, what sabre style does luke use in the NJO?

I have read most of them, they are quite good.

I don't know what saber style Luke uses,.. maybe a mix of Anakin and obi-wans?

It doesn't matter if it was in a book, though.

George Lucas didn't invent Vaapad or any of the other styles, nor are they mentioned in the films, so technically.... there isn't a vaapad.

i am new to this forum yes but does that mean my oppinion is not valid

all you seem to do is rip the piss out of people

grow up

I called you a n00b becuase you are. You post poor topics, have horrible grammar, and have to chime in on any post, on any thread about how you could make a better sabre. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Not to mention:

1.) The first thread in this forum deals with using EU stuff while discussing the movies. (EU=Expanded Universe...=books, video games, comics, etc...)

2.) The topic of how the saber styles in the first and second trilogies differ has been discussed since 1999. Then again in 2002. And a few more times last year after ROTS was released.

You can use the search button at the bottom of your screen to find an old thread before you make a new one.

one eye <---n00b.

craft-a-saber
Yes that's great you know how to make someone feel stupid and unimportant just to make yourself look better if i wanted to make a thread about an issue that bothers me then i will you dont have to reply

when i say that i can make a better saber i am just messing around as i could not think of many character traits

and finaly if this topic has been discussed so many times how come your the only arse hole who cares ?

plus if you look at my posts the majority of them are just for a laugh i dont actually mean a lot of what i say

this forum has been going since 1999 so does it not surprise you that every discussion has been discussed

ShadowKing
in TPM the only one with a cool fighting style is maul how do you explain that?

Maul was a young Sith...fast and muscular, and he wielded a double bladed saber (most excellent)...

but I have to disagree with the only cool fighting style...Obi, in the final battle with Maul was great and matched him move for move (until the force push), including, blocking a thrust while in somersault above Maul's head, and slashing the double bladed saber in half....

the real problem with the difference between the OT and the PT? Time.

The fights in the OT were slower and more measured, like the Japanese Samurai films that had influenced GL in the first place.

Lucas had become a force of nature and he had people falling all over themselves to work for him, including stunt work people who had grown up with and were influenced by Star Wars. I don't know everything about Nick Gillard, but he is definitely a good stunt sword fighting choreographer...younger and more knowledgable than the initial fight coordinator...

this had it's good points and it's bad points. although the fights were more dynamic and faster, they still had such fine tuned choreaography (to keep the fights in frame), that they looked "staged" which took away some of the thrill of the lightsaber fights in the PT.

craft-a-saber
Originally posted by ShadowKing
Maul was a young Sith...fast and muscular, and he wielded a double bladed saber (most excellent)...

but I have to disagree with the only cool fighting style...Obi, in the final battle with Maul was great and matched him move for move (until the force push), including, blocking a thrust while in somersault above Maul's head, and slashing the double bladed saber in half....

the real problem with the difference between the OT and the PT? Time.

The fights in the OT were slower and more measured, like the Japanese Samurai films that had influenced GL in the first place.

Lucas had become a force of nature and he had people falling all over themselves to work for him, including stunt work people who had grown up with and were influenced by Star Wars. I don't know everything about Nick Gillard, but he is definitely a good stunt sword fighting choreographer...younger and more knowledgable than the initial fight coordinator...

this had it's good points and it's bad points. although the fights were more dynamic and faster, they still had such fine tuned choreaography (to keep the fights in frame), that they looked "staged" which took away some of the thrill of the lightsaber fights in the PT.

yeah your right when you think about it obi1 was pretty cool in the final battle i stand corrected

ShadowKing
as well you should mate! stick out tongue

...and don't be too annoyed by some of the posters who take personal shots at ya....

the more you show it bothers, the worse it'll get.

Cascador
I also agree that some fights look staged...it's really strange when in episode II Anakin gets his arm chopped off...it looks like he is waiting for it to get chopped off...if you also slow down the speed you can see that he even opens his arms before it is chopped off.

the fight of Obi-Wan vs. Anakin in ROTS doesn't look staged tho IMO. It's more rough and violent, which I think makes it look less staged than the previous fights. There's also more variety. Like Anakin strangling Obi-Wan. the crawling on that tower. in some scenes it looks staged tho like the floating platform

craft-a-saber
thanks for the advice

it doesn't bother me in the sence that he is taking a pop at me it just does my head in because people are here to debate star wars topics but you have got people here that are out solely to piss people off

i suppose you get the odd few on all forums

cheers again though SK

Cascador
you should check viewaskew...if you think these people are hard...lol

sithsaber408
No I don't have a problem with you debating topics,.. nor am I here to piss anyone off.

(I used to be a n00b, too. wink )

It's actually me who gets pissed off, when new folks join, come in here, and think its like a bunch dudes sittin at a table talkin SW, and just start posting shit. (it always happens)

I had to learn how these boards work,and you will too, I'm sure. smile

I'm not as old school as some, but I've been here almost two years, so try to think of my (and many others who won't post, or even look at the thread) dismay of reading stuff that has already been hashed over and over again.

That said, enjoy these boards, as they can be quite fun. smile

(Just try to look around a little more, and read a little more before you post.)

ShadowKing
Originally posted by Cascador
I also agree that some fights look staged...it's really strange when in episode II Anakin gets his arm chopped off...it looks like he is waiting for it to get chopped off...if you also slow down the speed you can see that he even opens his arms before it is chopped off.

A lot of the fights get killed, I think, in the editing process...that's why Anakin appears like he's going to be a badass in AOTC and then gets pwned so quick...also why Sidious just rears back and stabs Agen Kolar like that

Obi and Vaders fight in ROTS was a better paced fight, filmed well (except for the control room scene where they flail their swords around and force push each other, and the magic saber hilt scene - another bad edit) and set in a dynamic environment....

the floating robots being just in the right place near the lava falls edge at the same time as they were needed was too much of a bad writing construct, and I was never really satisfied with the way Obi Wan slices Anakin in pieces in mid air....how was he able to get one arm and both legs without hitting his body?

I had always assumed Vader lost his limbs in his fall into the lava...burned limbs would have been surgically removed and replaced with cybernetics...the scene never seemed right to me at that point.
Obi saying "...I have the high ground..." was short hand for, I have the tactical advantage, but Anakin was still so fast and powerful...

roughrider
As it's been stated before, the PT is set during the prime of the Jedi - their skills with lightsabres and the force are at their best. We have also found that there are many forms of sabre combat - look up many Jedi and Sith characters on Wikipedia; the extensive bios detail what discipline they used. Count Dooku had a style all his own, because he's a devotee of Form II, which is sabre-on-sabre combat; like a fencer. It helped give him an advantage over most. Obi-Wan and Anakin were heavy on forms IV & V.

And yes, there were more technical limitations for Lucas in the original trilogy, but it's set post-Jedi. Vader isn't as agile as he once was, but made up for it with great power in his strikes. He also hasn't fought a Jedi in many years, until Obi-wan crossed his path again. Luke has to find his own way with limited instruction on sabre technique - but we see he's progressing through TESB and to the end of ROTJ, where he's leaping around much like the PT Jedi.

Of course, it would be nice if the sabre battle in ANH wasn't so stiff - it was the first one put to screen. If Lucas is doing further tweaks, for the release of the six-film DVD set, I would encourage him to add several seconds to that duel. With the head-replacement CGI FX they used for Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid, they could easily film a stand-in of Alec Guiness (it helps that Obi-Wan's hood is up during the duel) and a skilled stunt man in Vader's suit; intercut it with the other action, and jazz up that sequence. Go for it!

general_lloyd
I agree, i think that GL could jazz it up a bit but don't you think that conbdradicts with what you said? i am a noob but if vader has become sluggish and out of practise with his saber skills then it will look rubbish if he is jumping around and slicing the crap out of obi one... i mean i would love to see it but it would be too treacherous to the story line and the progression of time within the series

craft-a-saber
i agree with pretty much everything you have just said except that lucas should modify any of the originals for the 6 dvd box set witch by the way i heard was going to initially be in high definition

craft-a-saber
No I don't have a problem with you debating topics,.. nor am I here to piss anyone off.

(I used to be a n00b, too. wink )

It's actually me who gets pissed off, when new folks join, come in here, and think its like a bunch dudes sittin at a table talkin SW, and just start posting shit. (it always happens)

I had to learn how these boards work,and you will too, I'm sure. smile

I'm not as old school as some, but I've been here almost two years, so try to think of my (and many others who won't post, or even look at the thread) dismay of reading stuff that has already been hashed over and over again.

That said, enjoy these boards, as they can be quite fun. smile

(Just try to look around a little more, and read a little more before you post.)

yeah you are sooo right i mean it is definately better if new members dont post there oppinions and just do what you do randomly pick out a noob and try to demoralise that person if it kills you but seriously keep telling your self that you have a point and eventually one person will believe you

these boards are for peoples oppinions based upon "canon" evidence

if a star wars book(novel) is approved by GL then surely
it is canon

Cascador
I don't agree that every book that George Lucas approved is canon...I don't expect that he reads them all...they are just approved by lucasfilm...not by George Lucas himself...maybe they just say so, so that it makes the book more attractive to customers.

sithsaber408
I don't agree that every book that George Lucas approved is canon...I don't expect that he reads them all...they are just approved by lucasfilm...not by George Lucas himself...maybe they just say so, so that it makes the book more attractive to customers.

Which is beside the point, becuae even if he approved the book, and then goes on to contradict it with the movies....

The movies trumps the books.

Always

But I don't have to tell you that Cas... stick out tongue

craft-a-saber
i see your point but to be honest without GL telling us what is and is not canon how can anyone else decide i dont think the moderators can they can say that are oppinions have to be based on canon facts but they can only give guidelines on what is canon making any arguments alot more difficult
and if lucasfilm is considred canon then surely lucasarts games are too i dont think that your statement in that sence is correct cascador

sithsaber408
i see your point but to be honest without GL telling us what is and is not canon how can anyone else decide i dont think the moderators can they can say that are oppinions have to be based on canon facts but they can only give guidelines on what is canon making any arguments alot more difficult

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t20461.html

craft-a-saber
yes i have read that and to be honest a moderator cant decide what is and is not canon he puts a list of rules up and stops daft threads like this one

what kind of arsehole posts a thread like this anyway

ME thats who!!!

sithsaber408
yes i have read that and to be honest a moderator cant decide what is and is not canon he puts a list of rules up and stops daft threads like this one

what kind of arsehole posts a thread like this anyway

ME thats who!!!

If you read the whole thing then you would know that it gives a very CLEAR description of what is, and isn't cannon.

It gets the description from Lucasfilm, itself, straight off of SW.com, the "official" site of the whole SW saga.

(I'm sure then that you read the part about "any material not specifically written by george lucas, or seen in the movies, is not cannon."wink

Since you already read it, right?

or another way to say it:

Perhaps a far simpler and more handy view of canon was made far more recently when a question about continuity arose on the Official Site:

"When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences."

craft-a-saber
If you read the whole thing then you would know that it gives a very CLEAR description of what is, and isn't cannon.

It gets the description from Lucasfilm, itself, straight off of SW.com, the "official" site of the whole SW saga.

(I'm sure then that you read the part about "any material not specifically written by george lucas, or seen in the movies, is not cannon."wink

Since you already read it, right?

or another way to say it:

Perhaps a far simpler and more handy view of canon was made far more recently when a question about continuity arose on the Official Site:

"When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences."

yet cascador said that GL probably does not read the books

and despite them being canon or not they are used as aids in almost every thread on this forum

i don't often visit the official star wars website but i do read an awful lot of star wars disputes and arguments thats how i came across this forum and the point i am trying to make is while a lot of people post threads/replies on this forum based on canon evidence alot of people also go by the book

and i cant remember how we got on to the discussion about weather or not a novel is canon because my thread is about screenplay which you dont see in a novel

Darth Traya
The OT fighting was far superior to the PT fighting, far superior.

Cascador
yet cascador said that GL probably does not read the books

yeah...like Sithsaber said...for pure canon...you can only turn to the films, not the books. There may be added stuff in it from deleted scenes and maybe you can see that as canon. But there's a lot of stuff that comes from the writers themselves. George Lucas doesn't mind, as long as the plot doesn't changes.

Darth Traya
Movies are the absolute canon. But there are levels of canon.

roughrider
Originally posted by general_lloyd
I agree, i think that GL could jazz it up a bit but don't you think that conbdradicts with what you said? i am a noob but if vader has become sluggish and out of practise with his saber skills then it will look rubbish if he is jumping around and slicing the crap out of obi one... i mean i would love to see it but it would be too treacherous to the story line and the progression of time within the series

I say it actually, to make Alec Guiness look better with a lightsabre; Obi-Wan should look a little more fluid. And Dave Prowse wasn't that good either. For TESB and ROTJ, nearly all his sabre stunt fighting was done by Bob Anderson, who was once Errol Flynn's stunt-double decades earlier, and would go on to be the swordmaster on LOTR.
I just picture Obi-Wan backing deliberately down a hallway; we see him from behind, as Vader battles him back. More sword strokes and striking nearby walls - it could intercut with the others heading to the flight hanger.

Lord Mader
GL said something bout making episodes 4,5,6 better maybe add new fighting scenes that look better, and changing the space battles into kick ass 3d animation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.