KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Why the poor saber style?

Why the poor saber style?
Started by: craft-a-saber

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
craft-a-saber
a target for arseholes

Why the poor saber style?

i might come across as a bit thick here but surely as the original trilogy is set in the time after ROTS surely the fighting style would be better although i do love the saber duels in ROTS i do think that maybe GL made a mistake with that

what are your thoughts

Be Mindful Of The Living Force

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2006 07:24 PM
Click here to Send craft-a-saber a Private Message Find more posts by craft-a-saber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

Re: Why the poor saber style?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by craft-a-saber
i might come across as a bit thick here but surely as the original trilogy is set in the time after ROTS surely the fighting style would be better although i do love the saber duels in ROTS i do think that maybe GL made a mistake with that

what are your thoughts

two things.

1.They were not that good when they first filmed the movies. (knowone had done laser sword fighting on film before) so they really couldn't get crazy with it.

2. It is meant to be time in the PT that Jedi's were really good at what they were doing. But after Rots it was a major fall out of that skill and the only people who knew how to do it were Vader, sidious, Obiwan and yoda during the OT. But vader was a stiff machine man, and everyone else was old and waaaaaayyyy out of their prime. So Luke tried the best he could, and had hardly any training.

Its like someone handing you a typewriter and telling you to write a 15 page paper on something proofread and all.

You wouldn't know the first damn thing about fixing your mistakes on a type writer, but people 25 years ago sure did.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2006 07:33 PM
Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
craft-a-saber
a target for arseholes

Re: Re: Why the poor saber style?

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
two things.

1.They were not that good when they first filmed the movies. (knowone had done laser sword fighting on film before) so they really couldn't get crazy with it.

2. It is meant to be time in the PT that Jedi's were really good at what they were doing. But after Rots it was a major fall out of that skill and the only people who knew how to do it were Vader, sidious, Obiwan and yoda during the OT. But vader was a stiff machine man, and everyone else was old and waaaaaayyyy out of their prime. So Luke tried the best he could, and had hardly any training.

Its like someone handing you a typewriter and telling you to write a 15 page paper on something proofread and all.

You wouldn't know the first damn thing about fixing your mistakes on a type writer, but people 25 years ago sure did.

i can see where your coming from

but my point was if the originals fighting was so poor
why make the prequels fighting so good and if you talk about yoda being out of his prime i would have thought being 800 years + was old enough when he fought sidious i very much doubt that what was it 18 years made a difference yet yoda had some how been unable to make luke into some saber swinging lunatic on speed as yoda is when he fights sidious

i just think that GL made a mistake with the new fighting sequences

in TPM the only one with a cool fighting style is maul how do you explain that

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 12:02 AM
Click here to Send craft-a-saber a Private Message Find more posts by craft-a-saber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Re: Why the poor saber style?

i might come across as a bit thick here

Indeed. The only smart thing you've said in this thread...

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 12:06 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
craft-a-saber
a target for arseholes

do you have a reason for that oppinion?

i post a thread

someone responds with a good argument

and then i reply

and then someone else replies with an insult and supposedly
i am the thick one hhmmmmm

Last edited by craft-a-saber on Feb 24th, 2006 at 12:13 AM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 12:07 AM
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Indeed.

The Jedi were an extinct religion up until Luke was trained, there was no one to pass on the Saber techniques of the past generation of Jedi and Obi-Wan and Yoda had been out of action for too long... of course the fighting would be a bit sketchy to begin with.

Would you have preferred the fighting in the PT to be more ANH-style? Imagine how exciting that would be.

Not to mention the technical difficulties of doing saber fights twenty years ago...

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 12:34 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
craft-a-saber
a target for arseholes

yes very good but people are missing my point like the fact that GL should of at least made some characters have shit saber styles but even the youngling that tries to help senator organa is pretty cool(despite getting blasted)

and as i said why is darth maul the only one in TPM who has a decent fighting style do you not think that GL has gone over the top with ROTS
dont get me wrong i love the film but i think these are the sort of things that should be discussed here

oh dear i have actually used the word "youngling" in a serious conversation how embarrassing

Last edited by craft-a-saber on Feb 24th, 2006 at 12:50 AM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 12:45 AM
Cascador

well isnt the lightsaberfighting also advancing in the OT? It's not the same but it is still advancing if you compare the obi vs. vader fight and the Jedi Luke vs. Vader fight. That's a big difference! Luke is younger and was just getting better...same with Anakin and Obi-Wan in the prequels.

"The greatest hero is the one who learns to face his fears and overconquers it!"

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 12:53 AM
Click here to Send Cascador a Private Message Find more posts by Cascador Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
craft-a-saber
a target for arseholes

yeah i suppose so

i realise it was really down to the fact that GL wanted to do something spectacular and gobsmacking with the PT finale and i cant blame him for it but i think that even if he had not added all these superb saber spins and swings the cinemas would have still been packed there are too many people that are dissapointed with how the PT has turned out realising that it has answered a few questions about the original trilogy i just feel that GL went for a bit too much wow factor and payed less attention to detail to the story and the friendship between obi-wan and anakin and how it drifted apart

for the people who loved the original trilogy(myself included) it has been a bit of a let down there are good examples of modern technology in film making(the special effects in arthur were stunning yet you didn't see arthur doing all these backflips and twists and spins)but i think the use of this technology in ROTS was purely for the wow factor and to sell more toy sabers

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 01:08 AM
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Commas and periods are your friends. yes

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 01:10 AM
Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
craft-a-saber
a target for arseholes

ok fair comment mate

sorry guys i am just a little too quick to type what i want to say in case i forget halfway through embarrasment

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 01:11 AM
Altar[1stONE]
Lone Wolf

I understand your point man, and you make a good one. Lucas really should have toned it down , because when you go from ROTS to ANH the difference in fighting is very extreme. Its so noticable that you would think that a sith lord and jedi master would be even better then when they last fought as knights. But I think lucas just wants us to go with the idea that , they are just old guys and cant cut it like they use to. I look at the PT now that its complete. And realize lucas had it right with episode 1, sure it wasnt my favorite story . However with the cgi and technology and even saber battles, it wasnt so over the top as compared to the next 2. I did get that feel, ok jedi in their prime , briging in the awesome staff saber , this is fresh but nastolgic. I could still sense the connection with the OT , and you couldnt say one was better then the other.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 01:22 AM
Click here to Send Altar[1stONE] a Private Message Find more posts by Altar[1stONE] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

If the saber fighting in the PT was any less intense they'd have been almost unwatchable...

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 01:53 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The PT sabers fights were fair, Maul, I agree, was the best.

It was the unnecessary twirling, flipping and dancing of Qui-Gon and Yoda, the pointless swinging that Anakin and Obi-Wan did in the Mustafar control room. (their blades didn't even touch yet they were going at it like no tomorrow)

Yoda, IMO, had one of the worst and stupidest styles. He went EVERYWHERE in his fights. There was more of him doing the Kermit, than there was of him actually crossing blades.

Dooku was fair. And Palpatine and Mace were decent enough. Their fight seemed more ANH or ROTJ style, I liked it for that.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 02:18 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lee-San28
Im A Bloddy Rock God!

the bad figthing definitly was only because of bad tecnology and george didnt decide to make jedi and sith super ninja and marshal arty like until the newer episodes george made yoda hop like that because he is a spawn of a frog

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 02:22 AM
Click here to Send Lee-San28 a Private Message Find more posts by Lee-San28 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I agree with TG about the Palpatine and Mace fight, and Dooku's fighting style. All very refined.

You can look at the OT and say that Vader and Kenobi are now both pretty much Masters and are not trying to exert as much energy into their attacks, seeing as they have very little energy anyways.

That, or it's a cripple fighting an old man.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 03:22 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpyCspider

i just feel that GL went for a bit too much wow factor and payed less attention to detail to the story and the friendship between obi-wan and anakin and how it drifted apart

yes that's a major gripe about the PTs in general...

somebody shoulda told him "less is more."

Watch the upcoming Indiana Jones 4 movie (Lucas-written) will have Indy or somebody doing crazy flips and Indy swinging from mountain to cliff with his whip like Spider-man

This question has been posted many times before and my explanation has simply been "they're using more Force..and less acrobatics."

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 04:01 AM
Click here to Send SpyCspider a Private Message Find more posts by SpyCspider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

Does anybody think i explained my answer well, and pretty much answered this doofis's question?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 05:30 AM
Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

More Force and less acrobatics? They're using the Force to do the acrobatics. no expression

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 05:36 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kalsemo

Re: Re: Why the poor saber style?

Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Indeed. The only smart thing you've said in this thread...

laughing

lol. you crack me up.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 06:43 AM
Click here to Send kalsemo a Private Message Find more posts by kalsemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote