Drinking

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zebina
Ok here's the thing,
My sisters eldest daughter is 17, and last week she (my niece) asked my brother in law if she could have one wine cooler. And he said yes. My mother had a fit and started b!tching to me about it.

Here's my thoughts, she's 17, she's Never been in trouble in her life, and she only had one wine cooler AT HOME, with her father there with her. I don't think it's such a big deal.

What do you think?

Emma718
i don't think thats a big deals, she is only a year away till she is 18 and she seems responsible so i think it is fine!

soleran30
it happens in the home with at least psuedo responsible adults (I mean they're probably drinking as well so) rather teach them there and foster that family piece in my opinion.

Morgoths_Wrath
the underage drinking law is assuming that children aren't responsible.

if you feel the 17 year old is responsible...then there shouldn't be an issue

Jedi Priestess
I dont see a problem with this at all.

Zebina
My mom believes that she will start drinking outside of the house and ruin here life

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Zebina
My mom believes that she will start drinking outside of the house and ruin here life

your mom might just be a bit paranoid...unless the 17 year old has already proven herself irresponsible

K.Diddy
Ok here's the thing,
My sisters eldest daughter is 17, and last week she (my niece) asked my brother in law if she could have one wine cooler. And he said yes. My mother had a fit and started b!tching to me about it.

Here's my thoughts, she's 17, she's Never been in trouble in her life, and she only had one wine cooler AT HOME, with her father there with her. I don't think it's such a big deal.

What do you think?

Your mum has issues

VIDEODROME
It's just a freaking wine cooler sheesh.

mechmoggy
Whoa...who says drinking ruins peoples lives?

Drinking is cool, end of. cool

Darth Macabre
Ever since I was a sophomore in highschool (16) my mother would allow me to drink at home whenever my brothers and/or father did. She kept an eye on me the whole time. Now that I'm 18, and in college, I have a grreater sense to stop and not go over board when I'm at a party. So, in my opinion, your sisters a little too paranoid.

But then again, I was never a trouble maker, and knew responsibility.

Fishy
I lost my wallet because of drinking last night sad I think drinking is not cool....

Well actually it is, you just have to know your limits, I don't know them yet, but most people do thank god and most people can just stop drinking at some point, besides in most country's its legal to start drinking when your 16 or 18... Really drinking won't ruin her live, the drinking laws are stupid anyways.

silver_tears
If that's all she's ever drank by age 17, consider yourselves lucky.

debbiejo
I don't see a problem, gee in Italy kids sometimes have a little wine with meals also........And in history with the Pilgrims everybody drank beer, cause it was safer than water, also in Europe, I believe to some extent.

Fire
Originally posted by Fishy
I lost my wallet because of drinking last night sad I think drinking is not cool....

Well actually it is, you just have to know your limits, I don't know them yet, but most people do thank god and most people can just stop drinking at some point, besides in most country's its legal to start drinking when your 16 or 18... Really drinking won't ruin her live, the drinking laws are stupid anyways.

Good point Fishy, altho knowing your limits really helps stick out tongue

Fishy
Originally posted by Fire
Good point Fishy, altho knowing your limits really helps stick out tongue

Yeah... Losing stuff is not cool... I'm really confused about it to, because I still have my whats the word ATM card and money, just not the wallet itself.. I also forgot half the evening..

So morale of the story is, drinking is okay, as long as you don't drink to much and forget things.

mechmoggy
If I get really drunk (and I mean reeeally drunk to the point of not knowing where I am), I always find my way home.

There are two theories I have for this: -

1. I have a "beer compass", which activates when I'm bladdered and enables me to get home.

2. A magic "beer scooter" collects me and brings me home.

Either way, I get home, so who cares. Beer anyone? beer

Fishy
Originally posted by mechmoggy
If I get really drunk (and I mean reeeally drunk to the point of not knowing where I am), I always find my way home.

There are two theories I have for this: -

1. I have a "beer compass", which activates when I'm bladdered and enables me to get home.

2. A magic "beer scooter" collects me and brings me home.

Either way, I get home, so who cares. Beer anyone? beer

I have the same thing, it took me two hours once... But I can still find my way home..

Just goes to show there is always a happy ending after a night of drinking, especially if you find your wallet again.

Alpha Centauri
If parents want to decrease the chances of their kids going out and drinking underage or hitting 18 and being free to go out and do it as much as they, want with or without consent, legally, then they SHOULD introduce their kids to alcohol around an earlier age.

I was allowed tastes of alcohol from an early age and always in a safe environment, more and more as I got older. By the time I hit 18, alcohol wasn't some new world. I didn't have any desire to go out and find out what it was like because I already knew. That's me though.

-AC

silver_tears
It's also still illegal at 18 over on our side of the world stick out tongue
Canada is 19, and the states are 21.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah well...you...you just be quiet.

I appear to have forgotten that, so you can just take your little Kirby sig and...well...I'll think up a suitable punishment.

-AC

Smasandian
Really drinking won't ruin her live, the drinking laws are stupid anyways.

The laws arnt stupid, they have a reason behind it.

If you allow 16 year olds to start legally drinking, your going to have a few kids who dont do it, and then you have a few kids (like me), who would totally abuse it. You can just lower the age for half of the children's population.
I think 18-19 is an reasonable age to start legally drinking.
Also, if you allow 16 years old to legally drink and you allow 16 years old obtaining licenses, what do you think is going to happen?
Most kids dont have the responsibilty to drink at such an early age and not abuse it.

silver_tears
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Yeah well...you...you just be quiet.

I appear to have forgotten that, so you can just take your little Kirby sig and...well...I'll think up a suitable punishment.

-AC

naughty

meep-meep
I don't see a problem with it. Maybe she'll develop a sense of responsibility about it. If she knows that her parents are ok with it in moderation in their presence, then she might not feel it is something she could be pressured into it by other kids.

Fishy
Originally posted by Smasandian
The laws arnt stupid, they have a reason behind it.

If you allow 16 year olds to start legally drinking, your going to have a few kids who dont do it, and then you have a few kids (like me), who would totally abuse it. You can just lower the age for half of the children's population.
I think 18-19 is an reasonable age to start legally drinking.
Also, if you allow 16 years old to legally drink and you allow 16 years old obtaining licenses, what do you think is going to happen?
Most kids dont have the responsibilty to drink at such an early age and not abuse it.

No problems with that here, then again you can't get your license till your 18..

and the thing is, its not just the law its the culture behind it, we don't really fear alcohol here, and therefor most people don't abuse it. Its considered cool to drink and your not stupid if you don't drink.. Your just missing out, but thats your own problem..

and what happens now if people never drink then turn 21 or 19 and can suddenly drink. They will go out probably with a car and drink, having no idea on how the alcohol will treat there body... Its better to start young and learn how to deal with things, then never see it and get hammered the first time you drink.

Smasandian
Well not in Canada.

But they'res a difference between kids drinking illegeally to kids drinking when the over the age limit. Do you have any friends who binge drink heavily or know somebody who does? How would a lower age limit help them? All their going to do is drink more because it's more available.
Also, what about clubs and bars? How would an drunk 16 year old react to an confrantation?

I have nothing against kids drinking underage because I used to do all the time, but to say that the gov't should lower the age is kinda of dumb cause an 16 year old is not mature enough to handle alchohol is an reasonable way. An 21 year old is more mature enough to relize whats going on.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Now that I'm 18, and in college, I have a grreater sense to stop and not go over board when I'm at a party.

laughing An 18-year-old who knows when to stop??? Yeah right! LOL

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
laughing An 18-year-old who knows when to stop??? Yeah right! LOL

Unlike others, I'm not a fool. Which is quite ironic, going to school in Vegas, you'd think I was. lol

DiamondBullets
Unlike others, I'm not a fool. Which is quite ironic, going to school in Vegas, you'd think I was. lol

Where are you from?

Darth Macabre
Manhattan.

Makedde
Ok here's the thing,

What do you think?

I don't see what the problem is. If she was around responsible adults, fine. Drinking a little before she of legal age may teach her to be responsible with alcohol.

My parents let me drink alcohol when I was about 15. I consider myself a very responsible drinker today because of it.

DiamondBullets
Manhattan.

I'm also attending college far from home. Its better that way.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
I'm also attending college far from home. Its better that way.

Yeah I know....You're from Hawaii right?

DiamondBullets
yep

dave123
Ok here's the thing,

What do you think? Aaaaaaah firefirefireph Get the Holy Water RIGHT NOW, we haven't much time fear

Alpha Centauri
By holy water he means Jack Daniels.

-AC

botankus
Ok here's the thing,

What do you think?

Lemme guess, Zebra, it was Smirnoff Ice. Every time I see some up and coming teen drinking it's always something lame like Smirnoff Ice. What are the elders going to step up to the plate and get these kids real drinks????????

Fishy
Originally posted by botankus
Lemme guess, Zebra, it was Smirnoff Ice. Every time I see some up and coming teen drinking it's always something lame like Smirnoff Ice. What are the elders going to step up to the plate and get these kids real drinks????????

First time I got drunk it was because of something like that... The good old days when 4 euro's could still get me drunk..

dave123
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
By holy water he means Jack Daniels.

-AC I like the way you think wink

mechmoggy
I like the way he drinks!

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by silver_tears
It's also still illegal at 18 over on our side of the world stick out tongue
Canada is 19, and the states are 21.

And so it should be in the UK, "kids" in pubs piss me off!

dave123
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
And so it should be in the UK, "kids" in pubs piss me off! Boohoo, go to an over 21's bar stick out tongue

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
And so it should be in the UK, "kids" in pubs piss me off!

What do they do that irritates you?

mechmoggy
They knock him back.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
What do they do that irritates you?

Put the Duke box on, when you are drinking your pint of Real Ale or Stout and trying to watch the Rugby or Football it's very annoying we unplug it in my local so they can't put it on and normally make them feel uncomfortable. smile

Capt_Fantastic
So, Duke box is a Jukebox?

botankus
In Hazzard County it is.

Okay, okay, I'll stop.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
So, Duke box is a Jukebox?

Yes, brain fart. They also exist as well which is annoying in a pub and you hear them arguing and now and again they want to fight each other. Which normally means some older people get to beat them up smile in stopping it!

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by botankus
In Hazzard County it is.

Okay, okay, I'll stop.

Classic laughing out loud

Grim Reefer
I'd be more mad that my kid is drinking a wine cooler of all things.

mysterio69
my uncle gave me a sip of whiskey when i was about 6 months old. my dad subsequently punched the shit out of him. but needless to say, after AA at the age of 8, my drinking is under control. smile

powerfulone1987
Well I've asked my mom a many times if I can drink something, even a wine cooler, but she always said no.

Why, b/c she doesn't want me to start.
It's against the law.
And my family has a history of alcoholic men and my family is afraid I may become one if I start.

Either way, beer is nasty.

is it comprehensible.....

Fishy
No its not...

DiamondBullets
No its not...

beer

Eis
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
Well I've asked my mom a many times if I can drink something, even a wine cooler, but she always said no.

Why, b/c she doesn't want me to start.
It's against the law.
And my family has a history of alcoholic men and my family is afraid I may become one if I start.

Either way, beer is nasty.

No it's not. no expression

For me, my mom always gives me a sip of whatever she's drinking but she has no idea how much I drink when I go out to at night.

dave123
Depends what beer you drink youpi And it tastes better as the night goes on stick out tongue

((The_Anomaly))
Meh, I was drinking long before 17 years old. I'm 19 now and I can drink whenever I want. Although I don't drink much more then I did at 17, its just now I do it at a bar most of the time.

I see no problem, my dad let me have a beer and stuff when I was like 15. Not a big deal.

powerfulone1987
Well I definitely see something wrong with giving a child alcohol.

Makedde
Well I definitely see something wrong with giving a child alcohol.

I think it depends on how old the child is, and how responsible the parents are.

powerfulone1987
I wouldn't call them responsible parents if they're giving a child alcohol.

Makedde
I wouldn't call them responsible parents if they're giving a child alcohol.

The legal age for drinking in the US is 21, but when the child is 18, they are legally an adult. So for three years, as adults, they are able to smoke and drive cars, and vote, but they are not adult enough to drink. Doesn't make sense to me.

Here the legal age for drinking is 18, but many parents allow their kids to drink a little before then. Why? Because it teaches the kid to be responsible with alcohol. They don't turn 18 and say 'Now I can go and get drink alcohol' then go and do just that and end up getting drunk because they are not used to alcohol.

Parents are responsible when they allow their kids to drink, starting when you're about 15, it's alright to drink, because you learn what alcohol you like best, how much of it you can have, and which drinks don't agree with you.

I was allowed to drink when I was 15, I found what drinks agreed with me, and which didn't. At 22, I drink on occasion, and I know exactly how much I can drink, and I have never been drunk. I know how much my body can take, and I think that kids should know this, instead of going out alone when they come of ages and getting drunk because their bodies are not used to it.

powerfulone1987
Well why can't the learning start at the legal age.

Just hearing that a 15 yr old is learning about which alcohol they like and how to drink it boggles my mind.

And maybe you think it's okay b/c you yourself started at that age.

Darth Macabre
Well why can't the learning start at the legal age.

Just hearing that a 15 yr old is learning about which alcohol they like and how to drink it boggles my mind.

And maybe you think it's okay b/c you yourself started at that age.

And maybe because you didn't, thats the reason it boggles your mind....It goes both ways.

powerfulone1987
Yeah, I can see how you would say that.

I mean, I've received sips here and there from people other than my mother.

But I still don't see it as a good thing for youngsters to drink.

Makedde
But I still don't see it as a good thing for youngsters to drink.

It's been proven to be successful. If kids have responsible parents, and those parents teach their kids about drinking responsibly, the kids are more likely to be responsible drinkers. wink

Smasandian
Originally posted by Makedde
It's been proven to be successful. If kids have responsible parents, and those parents teach their kids about drinking responsibly, the kids are more likely to be responsible drinkers. wink

Or become drunks.
I think its around 50-50 when it comes down to it. Some kids take that beer, drink it and then never the wiser.
But some kids drink it, like it, like the feeling of it, then will start drinking more.

Makedde
Studies have shown that it actually makes kids more aware of alcohol and what it does...

powerfulone1987
Were these studies legal.

The study of underage drinking and the benefits of it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.