Pound for pound

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scoobless
Someone mentioned in another thread that Thor may be the strongest Hero on Marvel Earth pound for pound as the Hulk weighs more than twice as much as he does

So..... out of only hero's born on Marvel Earth, who is, pound for pound, the strongest... not Including Hulk (due to the whole impossible "unlimited strength" garbage)

I'd like to submit Ant-Man and Yellow Jacket for consideration:

Originally posted by Scoobless
Ant Man can reduce his height from 6ft to around half an inch (1.2 cm....ish) while keeping his 6ft strength level

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/a/antmanii.htm

Now Ant Man (and Yellow Jacket) are fairly fit and strong guys who exercise regularly... let's say Hank Pym can press 250lbs in the gym

As he's reducing his height by a factor of 150 his mass will be reduced by an even greater factor (as he's light enough to fly on an ant's back)

"suppose we scale up an ant by a factor of 1000. This increases the ant's length from 1/8 inch to about 10.5 feet It increases the strength of the ant's legs by a factor of 1000 squared, or 1 million. This sounds very reassuring until we look at the ant's increase in mass and weight.Each segment of the ant's body is roughly similar to a sphere whose weight is proportional to its volume given by the equation:
V = (4/3)pr3

With constant density, the weight therefore increases with the cube of the scaling factor. Hence, weight increases by a factor of 1000 cubed, or 1 billion."

http://intuitor.com/moviephysics/mpmain.html

now scaling down would make the inverse of this true (i think) ... So Lang's mass would reduce by a factor of 150 cubed, or 3,375,000... taking him from 190lbs to 0.0000563 lbs

At this weight and his 250lbs pressing strength i believe this puts him at the top of the pound for pound strength category as he would be capable of lifting 4,440,497.336 times his own body weight

If he were capable of that feat at his 6ft stature he would be lifting 843,694,493.84 lbs, or 421,005.236 tons (taking one ton to be 2004 lbs)

outarddwarf
holy hemroids batman! That is alot!

King_Mungi
I thought Antman still keeps his weight as well, since I remember reading an issue where he was the size of an ant he jumped on a guys shoulder knocking him out.

Scoobless
But he flys around on top of insects.... and even his daughter could carry him around

littleredhat
Has anyone ever explained exactly what "the proportioate strength of a spider" means?

In math?

Scoobless
Originally posted by littleredhat
Has anyone ever explained exactly what "the proportioate strength of a spider" means?

In math?

Hmmm..... hadn't really thought about it.... i'll do it later

Scoobless
"a spider can produce a total force of about 0.025 Newtons, which means it could carry 173 times its own body weight"

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/8/4/9/1

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5553/05streetsamuraidcp372qo.th.jpg

According to his bio, Spider-Man weighs 170lbs

170 x 173 = 29,410lbs .... roughly 15 tons

H. S. 6
"a spider can produce a total force of about 0.025 Newtons, which means it could carry 173 times its own body weight"

Niiice.

S.S
Wow!!!!!! Scoob you're pretty smart............stick out tongue

Grimm22

Hmm, what can carry more a ant or a spider?

King_Mungi
But he flys around on top of insects.... and even his daughter could carry him around

I was right, he did knock out a security guard by jumping on him. So he most likely can control his weight.

batdude123
If we are talking about earth heroes, not any gods comic characters bullsh*t or anything, then I'll go with the one, the only, Superman. The guy weighs 230 or there abouts, and holds f*ckin' BLACK HOLES in the palms of his hands. Happy Dance

Disappear
how old was that issue, mung?

Blair Wind
Originally posted by batdude123
If we are talking about earth heroes, not any gods comic characters bullsh*t or anything, then I'll go with the one, the only, Superman. The guy weighs 230 or there abouts, and holds f*ckin' BLACK HOLES in the palms of his hands. Happy Dance

let me direct you to the opening statements

King_Mungi
Originally posted by Disappear
how old was that issue, mung?

Couple years it was with Ant Man II. When I get home from work I will try to get the issue number.

King KAM
i gotta go with majestic

grey fox
Hyperion

King KAM
Originally posted by grey fox
Hyperion i think majestic can outlift hyperion.....

Juntai
Originally posted by King KAM
i think majestic can outlift hyperion..... Majestic isn't a Marvel Earth character. Unless you're thinking of a different Majestic.

littleredhat
Thanks for the Spider-man info. Its good to see a characters strength actually make sense. big grin

Scoobless
Majestic isn't Marvel and Hyperion isn't from earth... they aren't included here

batdude123
Originally posted by Blair Wind
let me direct you to the opening statements

My bad. big grin

Takion

EDIT: NM

Jade Lightning
The Ultimate Guide to Spider-man makes reference to the "preportionate strength of a spider" theory, paraphrasing:

"Although Spider-man likes to refer to himself as having the preportionate strength of a spider, he is actually much stronger."

On the same page they factor in something they call Spider-man's "stress factor", which- in times of extreme duresse- allows him to reach strength levels far exceeding what he was thought capable of, such as lifting himself up from under the deep wreckage of a building, or catching an Apache' Helicopter before it hit the streets...

He is surely a contender for this title.

jgiant
HULK SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! evil face

Takion
Silver Surfer.........

Takion
Or Banner Hulk who lifted 150 000 000 000 000 000 000 mountains.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Takion
Silver Surfer.........

He's not from Earth

Originally posted by Takion
Or Banner Hulk who lifted 150 000 000 000 000 000 000 mountains.

Hulk isn't included.... and no he didn't

leonidas
hey scoob, how about vision?? he goes from intangible/weightless, to almost cl100!

big grin

Takion
He's not from Earth

Hulk isn't included.... and no he didn't
Actually i heard on threads he lifted 150 000 000 000 000 000 000 mountains, I thought it was people form Earth. Spiderman IMO is strongest then.

Scoobless
Nah.... Wonderman, and Colossus way stronger than Spider-Man pound for pound (among many others)

batdude123
Sentry b*tches! Yes that's right! He was born on earth and he only weighs 194lbs! I win! big grin

Takion
Hyperion?

Scoobless
Hyperion is an alien.... Sentry's strength is yet to be determined

Takion
How much does Colossus weigh?

Maestro
Hercules, though that can be disputed, seeing that you can say hes from olympus. But his mother is human.

olympian
"If we are talking about earth heroes, not any gods comic characters bullsh*t or anything, then I'll go with the one, the only, Superman. The guy weighs 230 or there abouts, and holds f*ckin' BLACK HOLES in the palms of his hands"

Might just be me, but wouldnt Superman a character thats not earthbase and an alien to boot, fall in the category of "bullsh*t"?

And he never held a black hole in the palm of his hands. These internet myths.

About the thread itself, its all based on assumptions..i honestly dont belive in quantify stuff that is set up in a unrealistic universe aka fiction. Mostly because unless the writters give us those in an actual story, its not possible.

R.O.T. Yahman
He's not from Earth

Neither is Thor ..... Moron ! stick out tongue wink

I'll say the Hulk, as feats wise he is consistently more impressive than Thor

As my good friend Olympian said ...

'About the thread itself, its all based on assumptions..i honestly don't believe in quantify stuff that is set up in a unrealistic universe aka fiction. Mostly because unless the writers give us those in an actual story, its not possible.'

You can't judge this stuff accurately because its dependant on the writers perspective. smile

S.S
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
Neither is Thor ..... Moron ! stick out tongue wink

I'll say the Hulk, as feats wise he is consistently more impressive than Thor

As my good friend Olympian said ...

'About the thread itself, its all based on assumptions..i honestly don't believe in quantify stuff that is set up in a unrealistic universe aka fiction. Mostly because unless the writers give us those in an actual story, its not possible.'

You can't judge this stuff accurately because its dependant on the writers perspective. smile
Thor was born on earth.......sidekick.......... wink
And yea silverr age Hulk gets my vote.

B dot Rob
Binary?

olympian
"I'll say the Hulk, as feats wise he is consistently more impressive than Thor "

If we are talking about the strenght high end category, he sure is.

AJ4LIFE
hulk is stronger why dont people realide it is unlimited ok UNLIMITED

olympian
Right. And Thor`s warrior madness is suposse to increse him ten fold.

And yet others can fight and beat them.

jumpmann
galactus lol

Scoobless
No one pays attention anymore... do they?

Mr.V
Yeah, i've noticed that no expression started to peeve me off something big sad
and probably Thor yeah, but hed be grotesquley muscly and more or less a statue big grin gotta love the way comics can defy the laws of physics big grin it would be rather crap without it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.