Storm vs Polaris

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

nimrod009
Any thoughts? smile

Darth Martin
Can polaris control things lie magneto can? If not, it will probably depend on the fights surroundings.

nimrod009
She has pretty much exactly the same powers as Magneto, except her control over them isn't quite as good.

Fight takes place in NYC.

crucifixio
Ororo got this..........she's way more experienced

ExodusCloak
Current Polaris wins easily, two words Meta-Virus, pestilence wipes out Storm and the whole of man/mutant kind(Who haven't drank Apocalypses' blood) Storm dies of disease. Plus lighting is practically useless as are winds.

marvelprince
I'd say Storm. She's been in the game longer and is waaay more powerful than she's given credit for at times

Wonder Man
She has Maggies power but its not her control its that she's no where near as powerful as him.
Maggie is like an Xavier and she would be like a Jean Grey
However her power allows her power OVER others bodies where Storm must strike her opponents.
I'd give this to Polaris

stormfront13
which version of polaris? most recent version, or magnetic polaris?

magnetic- a little even, but storm comes out on top

pestilence-we haven't seen what she can do in this form yet really

Metalmanx
Polaris wins this. She may not be as powerful as Magneto, but she's still very much powerful enough to take Storm down. No offense to Storm at all, since she is quite powerful.

GalacticStorm
Gotta agree there. I prefer Storm is she is likely more powerful than Polaris, however Polaris' ability to erect shields is what gives her the win here. With the city setting as well which would limit Storms efficiency, whilst giving Polaris practically unlimited ammunition id have to give it to her. sad

bitca730
Storm's biggest offense (lightning) would be pretty useless right? Unless Polaris is caught off guard...I don't know how well Storm would fair against tons of metal building parts, cars, etc being hurled at her; while Polaris has her own shields...Storm's the better combatant overall though...I'd give it to Polaris 6/10...

I could see Storm pulling a win if she surrounded Polaris in a pitch black fog, she would then put her shields up, but if Storm could affect the atomosphere inside Lorna's shield bubble (raising or lowering the temperature extremes) forcing Polaris to drop her shield; it would be over for her...but I still give the majority to Polaris...

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by bitca730
Storm's biggest offense (lightning) would be pretty useless right? Unless Polaris is caught off guard...I don't know how well Storm would fair against tons of metal building parts, cars, etc being hurled at her; while Polaris has her own shields...Storm's the better combatant overall though...I'd give it to Polaris 6/10...

Yeah Polaris could absorb and redirect Storms lightning but as we've seen in the past Storm can eventually generate more than P can work with and overload her. However for the aforementioned reasons this situation favours Polaris. Id give it to her 8/10

If only someone would give Storm the ability to generate energy shields. sad Come on Chris Claremont. Upgrade my b*tch!!! mad

stormfront13
actually galacticstorm, storm can erect energy shields. and bitca, storm can also affect the insides of a persons shield as well so it is completely plausible that she could affect the inside of polaris's shields. and i didn't see the part where is stated the fight takes place in new york city, that right there basically gives the win to lorna. while i think storm is more versatile, and overall more powerful, the battle surroundings give polaris the majority and edge in this fight making her win the majority. i agree with my original statement that storm wins some fights, it's just that polaris wins more.

Lethal_Rise
storm is like a goddess, she never gets enough credit for what she does. She takes this, tho not easily.

LordKaos
I give it to Storm only because Storm has faced Magento and survived, she knows full well what Polaris can do and won't make any of the mistakes she made with Magneto. Lorna can redirect her lightning blasts, but Storm can absorb and redirect electromagnetic energy too. We've seen Storm pull off some very big feats, and all of them have been when she is in full control of herself and emotions, an unbridled Storm can reawaken the ice age.

Darth Martin
Still not sure but leaning towards polaris. Depends on surroundings.
But I do agree with ya storm is underated.

Wonder Man
Well in actuality Polaris or Maggie could just power up and walk right at a person and tear of their head and not many people can do a thing about it.

Metalmanx
Originally posted by GalacticStorm
Gotta agree there. I prefer Storm is she is likely more powerful than Polaris, however Polaris' ability to erect shields is what gives her the win here. With the city setting as well which would limit Storms efficiency, whilst giving Polaris practically unlimited ammunition id have to give it to her. sad

Even though you agreed with me (huh, planets must be in allignment), I'd actually have to say that Polaris is more powerful. Her mutant ability to control magnetism the way that she does is superior even to Storm's weather manipulation abilities.

nimrod009
Originally posted by stormfront13
which version of polaris? most recent version, or magnetic polaris?

Classic Lorna with her Magneto-esque powers.

marvelprince
I still give this to Storm. Her overall experience and battle experience against Magneto means she knows full well what she's up against.

wannabe
Gotta agree there. I prefer Storm is she is likely more powerful than Polaris, however Polaris' ability to erect shields is what gives her the win here. With the city setting as well which would limit Storms efficiency, whilst giving Polaris practically unlimited ammunition id have to give it to her. sad Quite precise analysis of the situation...unfortunately! sad

Lethal_Rise
Polaris is the daughter of the master of magnetism magneto, so she's deninently gonna give Storm hell. she's depowered now, and I think storm is too.

stormfront13
how many people think polaris is more powerful than storm? while i agree that it's pretty even, but due to surroundings lorna wins, i still think that storm is overall more powerful. we've seen her manipulate the weather on a planetary scale, and we haven't seen lorna do this yet. or has she, i don't recall her ever doing so, but if she hasn't yet i doubt she ever will. anyway, not to mention the few times they have fought storm has come out on top. also, it has already basically been established storm will transcend into a goddess, and that she is just preparing herself until then.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Lethal_Rise
Polaris is the daughter of the master of magnetism magneto, so she's deninently gonna give Storm hell. she's depowered now, and I think storm is too.

Depowered?
http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/702/702094/uncanny-x-men-20060418075004321.jpg

Lorna just became Pestilence, a Horsemen of the Apocalypse. She now has the ability to Create a Meta-virus that could wipe out all of mutant and mankind.(Those who haven't drank Apocalypses blood)

Polaris wins, easily.
Storm dies of disease.

stormfront13
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
Depowered?
http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/702/702094/uncanny-x-men-20060418075004321.jpg

Lorna just became Pestilence, a Horsemen of the Apocalypse. She now has the ability to Create a Meta-virus that could wipe out all of mutant and mankind.(Those who haven't drank Apocalypses blood)

Polaris wins, easily.
Storm dies of disease.

her powers not as strong as your making them out to be. she couldn't even take out havok with her powers, he basically just got a cold(right). anyway, it's not even horseman lorna we're talking about it's classic lorna. and you do realize that disease's are airborne and they have to travel through the air to even reach storm right?

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by stormfront13
her powers not as strong as your making them out to be. she couldn't even take out havok with her powers, he basically just got a cold(right). anyway, it's not even horseman lorna we're talking about it's classic lorna. and you do realize that disease's are airborne and they have to travel through the air to even reach storm right?

1.) Forum rules state that you use the current version of the Character if the thread starter doesn't specifically state which version.
2.) Havok caught cold/virus/flu by breathing in the same air as her. Not the Meta-virus. She never got the chance to release it thanks to Bobby who hit her when she wasn't looking.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4281/xmen151866wk.jpg
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/1350/xmen221867hk.jpg

Sorry but Storm dies of disease.

As for the older version Polaris should still win, Storms lighting will be used against her if she tries to shock Lorna, and elctromagnetism can stop Storms winds as Mags has already proven. Plus Lorna has shields and ammo, Storm goes down.

Lethal_Rise
grrr...this is not pestilence it's polaris. Magnetism version. geez.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Lethal_Rise
grrr...this is not pestilence it's polaris. Magnetism version. geez.

The thread starter never stated as Pestilence also has a type of Magnetism. See the scan of the Uncanny 475 preview posted. Apocalypse gave her, powers like her old ones and more.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/566/xmen271851mj.jpg

Lethal_Rise
if it's pestilence WITH some magnetic powrs, then storm's screwed.

bitca730
I'm pretty certain its classic "Magneto Jr." Polaris, and even if ExodusCloak doesnt believe so, that what everyone on this thread has been debating anyway...I think Polaris has the slight advantage because of where they are fighting..but Storm does have more experience...quite close battle though...

Lethal_Rise
I'm for Storm. she's an african goddess, even black panther's not as cool as her.

Metalmanx
Am I the only one that remembers that Lorna can literally just stop the flow of blood in Ororo's body? Killing her almsot instantly? I hope I'm not the only one.

ExodusCloak
Okay, I apologize, my mistake the thread starter did state that it's classic Lorna, I didn't read the extreme bottom of the page. However the fight does seem a bit unfair as it's Current Storm vs Classic P. Current P would be more in tune with her powers. However I still stand by my first decision and say P takes this for the reasons stated in my above post.

8/10 Classic P , 9.5/10 if P an stop the blood in Ororo's head. I left the .5 out for Chris C who loves to exaggerate Storms' abilities.
10/10 Current P

stormfront13
1.) Forum rules state that you use the current version of the Character if the thread starter doesn't specifically state which version.

1)forum starter already stated it was classic polaris with only her magnetic powers

2)so we don't even know the strength of this so called virus. it could be just some weak flue type of substance. and as i stated before, a virus is an airborne bacteria, to reach storm is would travel through the air, just like some sort of gas would. storm can easily protect herself from it.

we've already seen what goes on when this attack happens. lorna can't handle it and overloads herself as has happened in the past

storm has the ability to affect the inside of a persons shields, and storm also has Shields as well

storms control over the air pressure can deflect blasts(has happened in the past) and storm has shields

true in a small sense... these two x-women are too evenly matched and it's basically 50/50. both could end up on top. though if it happened in a real comic,storm would win due to her being marvels wonder woman. yes, this is what the writers refer to her as. they say she is marvels closest thing to a wonder woman.

and storm can increase the air pressure so much lorna is crushed in about 2 seconds. either way they're evenly matched.

now don't get me wrong, i am not saying storm definitely wins, i am saying that it's basically 50/50. for every way there is for lorna to kill storm, there is one for vice versa with same speed. though in this particular fight, As edge goes to lorna because of the location...though storms experience makes up for a lot of that. though still...small edge to lorna because of environment.

ExodusCloak
1)forum starter already stated it was classic polaris with only her magnetic powers

I already apologized for not reading the bottom of the previous page.

Nope we do, Lorna was ingesting all types of Viruses, Apocalypse stated that it's strong enough to wipe out the whole of Humanity and Mutant Kind. His blood is the only cure and only a handful of mutants have drank it.
Firstly viruses aren't the same thing as bacteria. And secondly how is Storm going to protect herself? By holding her breath? By using her winds so the tiny microrganisms don't make contact with her skin? Pestilence was going to wipe out the whole of mutant and mankind with this virus there's no escape.

Current Polaris would win it.(Magnetic Powers and Disease)

Lornas, however can still channel enough in this battle to protect herself, meaning lightning is redundant. As are winds. Also Lornas shields make lightning redundant as well.

Storm creates pressure shields not energy shields, it's not going to protect her from energy beam attacks. Show me a scan where her pressure shields have deflected Energy attacks.

Hmm...I'd like to see this, do you have a scan, deflect energy with pressure?

Do you have a scan where she's ever done that in 2 seconds? Also wouldn't Storm crush herself as well? She'll need to increase the air pressure of the entire area to do that. Or Lorna could just move to a new area.

Lorna effects the blood in her brain to kill her, show scans where Storms increased the pressure to such an extent in 2 seconds that it can crush things, and you'll have your point. If you can't then I'm afraid Lorna takes this.

psy_blade
Which can make better clothes out of thin air?

Rutog98
Yeah Polaris could absorb and redirect Storms lightning but as we've seen in the past Storm can eventually generate more than P can work with and overload her. However for the aforementioned reasons this situation favours Polaris. Id give it to her 8/10

If only someone would give Storm the ability to generate energy shields. sad Come on Chris Claremont. Upgrade my b*tch!!! mad

Storm would kill Polaris. This is not even a good fight. Storm's winds have smashed Magneto's force-fields. They will smash Polaris'. Also, Storm's lightning alone will defeat Polaris. We have seen the two fight and Storm defeated Polari's full power with her lightning alone. Magneto has also stated that Storm could beat him if she did not hold back.

Rutog98
2.) Havok caught cold/virus/flu by breathing in the same air as her. Not the Meta-virus. She never got the chance to release it thanks to Bobby who hit her when she wasn't looking.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4281/xmen151866wk.jpg
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/1350/xmen221867hk.jpg

Sorry but Storm dies of disease.

As for the older version Polaris should still win, Storms lighting will be used against her if she tries to shock Lorna, and elctromagnetism can stop Storms winds as Mags has already proven. Plus Lorna has shields and ammo, Storm goes down.

Where has MAgneto proved this? Also, Magneto is FAR more powerful than Polaris. They are not even close in power. Storm can and has overpowered Magneto.

inamilist
Originally posted by Metalmanx
Am I the only one that remembers that Lorna can literally just stop the flow of blood in Ororo's body? Killing her almsot instantly? I hope I'm not the only one.

I agree with this

Magnetic control is phenomenal.

I can't see any reason why Polaris couldn't just stabilize the minute magnetic fields within Storm's brain and kill her....

Metalmanx
Originally posted by inamilist
I agree with this

I can't see any reason why Polaris couldn't just stabilize the minute magnetic fields within Storm's brain and kill her....

Exactly. thumb up

Rutog98
I agree with this

Considering that STorm controls electrical impulses and electrical and magnetic fields, why can't she do it to Polaris? Polaris has greater control over magnetism, but Storm has greater control over electricity. Storm is much more powerful than Polaris. They should not even be mentioned in the same breath.

xmarksthespot
Blah blah blah.

Polaris wins by reversing bloodflow. Something she's done on panel. Faster, instawin powers.

Rutog98
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Blah blah blah.

Polaris wins by reversing bloodflow. Something she's done on panel. Faster, instawin powers.

Nope. Can Polaris do this do this while the other character is behind their energy field? I have not seen it. Storm's electrical field should work nicely to repell her magnetic powers. Also, why is Polaris getting the first hit? If they struck at the same time, Storm wins. Ororo's powers will take Polaris out of the fight on contact while Polaris will have to reach in Storm's body, locate those microscopic traces of metal in her and then manipulate them. Storm has a faster instant win than Lorna.

Brian Oswald
What power of Storms will instantly take out Polaris?

inamilist
Originally posted by Rutog98
Considering that STorm controls electrical impulses and electrical and magnetic fields, why can't she do it to Polaris? Polaris has greater control over magnetism, but Storm has greater control over electricity. Storm is much more powerful than Polaris. They should not even be mentioned in the same breath.

ok, that is a fair question.

Storm COULD do something similar to this, she could create something akin to TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation). Basically, this is electrical impulses that are applied to the outside of the head that can shut down parts of the human mind. The technology is currently being used to simulate lesions in certain brain areas to better understand their function.

However, it is arguable weather or not this would work on Polaris, as her being a magnetic manipulator, she controls the things that make up the electricity. She could easily negate any charge in her brain. This may or may not happen, as the TMS could possibly disable her ability to think and react to these things.

Well, it IS a viable option, but hugely unlikely for a number of reasons (these are assumptions, please feel free to debate them)

1) The amount of electricity that would be used is so minute that it is arguable if Storm has that delicate control over it. Also, it has been brought up that electrical (which are the SAME THING as magnetic) attacks would be pretty useless against Polaris because she DOES have delicate control over the mechanisms of electricity (magnetism).

2) This is a unheard of tactic for Storm. If she had used it before, you would be saying it is her best ability in every thread.

3) The knowledge of TMS is very specialized. It is a BRAND new technology. It is arguable as to whether or not Storm would know of this process.

And, just a quick statement about this:

Polaris has greater control over magnetism, but Storm has greater control over electricity.

Electricity is Magnetism. For instance, imagine that you drive a car, but I am able to control all of its component part independent of one another.

You could drive, but i could turn the wheels wherever I wanted, Stop them, put you in reverse, pretty much do whatever I want. If storm uses electricity, she is driving the car, whereas Polaris would be able to disassemble that car piece by piece.

Rutog98
Originally posted by Brian Oswald
What power of Storms will instantly take out Polaris?

Lightning. She's done this already.

inamilist
. Storm's electrical field should work nicely to repell her magnetic powers.

Please refer to my car analogy

allow me to add this: Storm is far more "powerful" in any sort of measure of degree. She is more versatile, experienced and has extreme control over what she controls.

However, in this case, Polaris just has a power that is insanely useful in a forum arena. Because we don't have to worry about plot devices or the economics of the industry, we can use characters to their fullest ability. In this case, it is just that Magnetism trumps A LOT OF PEOPLE!

Brian Oswald
Lightning. She's done this already. Polaris should be able to control/absorb it tho

Rutog98
@Inamilist: Magnetism is a product of electricity. You think that Storm lacks delicate control over electricity? She has been able to fly on a bolt of lightning, she has been able to pull electricity out of magnetic fields, she has been able to create clothing out of thin air by manipulating electrons (this stunt alone puts her WAY beyond Lorna) and more.

Polaris should not even be able to grab ahold of the metal in Storm's blood (nor should Magneto) or be able to affect her directly with her powers. Storm has those enormous energies running through her and she has profound control over them.

inamilist
@Inamilist: Magnetism is a product of electricity. You think that Storm lacks delicate control over electricity? She has been able to fly on a bolt of lightning, she has been able to pull electricity out of magnetic fields, she has been able to create clothing out of thin air by manipulating electrons (this stunt alone puts her WAY beyond Lorna) and more.

Polaris should not even be able to grab ahold of the metal in Storm's blood (nor should Magneto) or be able to affect her directly with her powers. Storm has those enormous energies running through her and she has profound control over them.

by delicate control I meant something more in the range of -35 mV up to 75 mV. Stuff that would require WAY less energy than lightning, but would require very delicate manipulation of the power. Show her doing something on panel like charging a watch battery or whatever without blowing it up. Then think WAY less power needed.

Basically, its the opposite of the way you are talking about "control".

I've given you excellent reasons for the blood thing... I can't believe you are still on about that...

And, well, the electron thing is kinda ridiculous. I won't argue it since I'm not in the mood to debate on panel feats right now, but why not show a feat of her controlling electrons that doesn't just result in her getting a new set of clothes?

And her having MORE of those energies running through her would just make her shine like a beacon. For Polaris to eliminate the resting potential of her nervous system she would need to stabilize the charge in side of all of Strom's neurons with that outside of them. The stronger that charge is, the easier it will be for Polaris to identify it and do her thing.

ExodusCloak
Where has MAgneto proved this? Also, Magneto is FAR more powerful than Polaris. They are not even close in power. Storm can and has overpowered Magneto.

Remember the scan where you say Storm broke Mags' shields with her winds...and everyone else says she didn't.
Well the page after that shows Magneto anchoring himself against her winds with his electromagnetism. UXM #150...I'm too lazy to dig up the scan but it's somewhere in the Jean vs Storm thread.

xmarksthespot
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/9361/theuncannyxmen443241pf0.th.jpg+http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5977/uncannyxmen426p063ku.th.jpg=Polaris wins.
i.e.
On panel better reaction speed+On panel instawin=Polaris wins.

Rutog98
by delicate control I meant something more in the range of -35 mV up to 75 mV. Stuff that would require WAY less energy than lightning, but would require very delicate manipulation of the power. Show her doing something on panel like charging a watch battery or whatever without blowing it up. Then think WAY less power needed.

Basically, its the opposite of the way you are talking about "control".

I've given you excellent reasons for the blood thing... I can't believe you are still on about that...

And, well, the electron thing is kinda ridiculous. I won't argue it since I'm not in the mood to debate on panel feats right now, but why not show a feat of her controlling electrons that doesn't just result in her getting a new set of clothes?

And her having MORE of those energies running through her would just make her shine like a beacon. For Polaris to eliminate the resting potential of her nervous system she would need to stabilize the charge in side of all of Strom's neurons with that outside of them. The stronger that charge is, the easier it will be for Polaris to identify it and do her thing.

Honestly, I just don't believe Polaris can do this. Magneto once manipulated the electrons in someone's mind to force them to tell him the truth. It was a move that took concentration. He had to put his hand on their forehead and everything.

This is something I believe to be beyond even Magneto. Can you show me Polaris doing something like this to someone?

Rutog98
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/9361/theuncannyxmen443241pf0.th.jpg+http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5977/uncannyxmen426p063ku.th.jpg=Polaris wins.
i.e.

There you have it. It even took her time to take out Bobby. He had a whole panel to talk and everything.

As far as Polaris absorbing Storm's lightning or redirecting it, Storm has too much of it. Polaris' powers are not unlimited and she can only manipulate a certain amount of power. Storm exeeds her by a lot. Polaris is shown doing more magnetic feats since that is her only power. Storm's powers overlaps Lorna's but she has many other powers as well. Its really something that I would like to see developed more with STorm. Honestly, I don't see why we don't see Storm doing more matter manipulation if she can do this.

You want other feats with electron control from Ororo? Well, there is an early X-Treme X-Men issue where Storm is underwater with the X-Men. She generates an electrolysis field which breaks down the water between herself and 2 other X-Men into oxygen and hydrogen for them all to breathe. They were in a room completely submerged in water along with the rest of the X-Men and bad guys. Nobody was electrocuted owing to Storm's control. Honestly, I don't think attacing Storm's directly is a good way for Polaris to fight Storm. Ororo can challenge her control on this and assault her with wind or lightning or blizzard or what have you. Lorna would be foolish to waste her concentration on this.

Rutog98
Remember the scan where you say Storm broke Mags' shields with her winds...and everyone else says she didn't.
Well the page after that shows Magneto anchoring himself against her winds with his electromagnetism. UXM #150...I'm too lazy to dig up the scan but it's somewhere in the Jean vs Storm thread.

This is not true. The Storm fans agreed with me, the Jean and MAgneto fans did not. Your side was unable to produe a panel that shows Magneto dropping his field before STorm attacked him with the winds. At the beginning of their fight, he had a force-field on. Storm assaulted him with bio-lightning blasts. He absorbed them and told her that she may be his downfall in the fight but her lightning alone won't beat him. She told him she had more weapons at her disposal and that lightning was far from her most powerful. At this point, you and your side claimed that Magneto dropped his force-field which he had up to this point so he could get a good taste of Storm's next attack that she told him was coming and was not electrical prior. LOL! Next panel, Magneto is enveloped in Storm's tornado. Its sucking the air from him and its straining his powers terribly to anchor himself against the winds. I say the winds broke the force-field. Your side is desperate to keep Storm's winds at the 300 mph force level despite the fact she has accomplished numerous feats that places her well beyond it. Heck, she redirected Sienna Blaze's full power. That puts to shame anything Magneto's force-field has ever withstood.

Your side's position on this is totally illogical and desperate. Its an attempt to try and limit Ororo's powers. The lady has the power of a goddess. This has been stated in canon and in an interview with the writer. Stop getting desperate.

xmarksthespot
There you have it. It even took her time to take out Bobby. He had a whole panel to talk and everything. She had already taken out the entire wedding party. If she had really wanted to kill them she could have. Bobby was one of the few people she initially spared.

Rutog98
i.e.

Oh yeah, I forgot to address your first scan. Scarlet Witch's powers is renowned for taking a long time to work. She forms her hex spere and all, but she has to concentrate and give it some time for it to have a desired result.

Blair Wind
I wish Demigawd was here no expression

Beta Ray Howard
I'm pretty sure that scan of Wanda is after she learned Chaos Magic, and her powers worked slow when she first joined the Avengers, and then she got much quicker with them.

Just because she's white doesn't mean you can't keep up on current evernts, Rutgog.

inamilist
Honestly, I just don't believe Polaris can do this. Magneto once manipulated the electrons in someone's mind to force them to tell him the truth. It was a move that took concentration. He had to put his hand on their forehead and everything.

This is something I believe to be beyond even Magneto. Can you show me Polaris doing something like this to someone?

Ah, I think this may be my fault, I must explain something.

Actually, I may have discovered a deep flaw in my own logic here, I will get to that after.

First off, I have no idea if Polaris can do this, X men aren't my forte, especially their lesser used characters. However, the mechanism I am proposing does not really require Polaris to do anything that is "outrageous" for a magnetic controller.

For one brain cell to pass a signal onto the next, it must pass it as an electrical charge. However, that charge is built at several points within each neuron.

please tell me where I need to elaborate, because this is not easy stuff..... Inside of each brain cell there is a -35 mV resting potential. This means that inside of each neuron, there is a VERY small negative charge associate with the potential of that cell to fire.

The reason there is that potential to fire, is because outside of the cell are molecules with very strong positive charges. When the neuron begins to communicate with other neurons, it brings in a whole bunch of these positive molecules. This creates a positive charge that activates a long series of events that resolves in the one neuron passing its signal onto the next.

However, if the charge inside of a neuron was the same as a charge outside of a neuron, it would be impossible for one cell to communicate to the next. Polaris would need only to make all the charges in Storm's brain (or even in select localized areas) equal to prevent her from living.

This is moderately different than TMS which I think Storm may have a better chance of using than Polaris. Nor do I think Polaris should be able to do what Magneto did in your post. That is insane. I would question that claim in the same way I would question Storm making clothing out of electron changing. That could be up there as one of Magneto's best feats ever imho.

Now, the big problem with this. One of the issues I had with Storm using TMS was the fact that it really isn't common knowledge. Come to think of it, this might be beyond what Polaris knows about the brain as well. After writing out all that, it becomes more clear to me that this isn't common knowledge, and that Polaris is probably not an expert on neurology.

I will give you this, without her one move KO's, I don't think Polaris is going to take the majority.

Swanky-Tuna
she has been able to create clothing out of thin air by manipulating electrons (this stunt alone puts her WAY beyond Lorna) and more.
Man, that only happened once. I don't think you can count it. It's like people bringing up Hulk redirecting energy with his hands, Juggernaut firing magic bolts, or Magneto making a wormhole because they did it once.

Beta Ray Howard
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Man, that only happened once. I don't think you can count it. It's like people bringing up Hulk redirecting energy with his hands, Juggernaut firing magic bolts, or Magneto making a wormhole because they did it once.

Hulk's done it at least four times that I can think of. stick out tongue

Rutog98
Originally posted by Beta Ray Howard
I'm pretty sure that scan of Wanda is after she learned Chaos Magic, and her powers worked slow when she first joined the Avengers, and then she got much quicker with them.

Just because she's white doesn't mean you can't keep up on current evernts, Rutgog.

What does SW being white have to do with it? Keep your racist comments to yourself you pig. Are you against Storm because she's a black character and would rather have white females stronger? Personally, I don't reason like this, but I think your completely baseless accusation. The fact that you mention race makes me feel that you are projecting your own issues off on me. I don't care what color the character is, give them their due. Many on these boards don't like to do this for Storm. Good thing I'm here and I know know my Storm history so I can defend my case very well. Get off it you sick sadist.

Regardless of that, can you prove that SW can work her powers faster than Storm? There are plenty of issues which shows Storm's powers working faster than other characters like Mastermind, Jean, Nightcralwer, Saruon, Cyclops, etc.

xmarksthespot
Quicksilver, a speedster, tried to attack her when her back was turned and her attention was elsewhere and got pwned.

Bobby was initially spared.
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3510/reverseblood2ez.th.jpg

inamilist
What does SW being white have to do with it? Keep your racist comments to yourself you pig. Are you against Storm because she's a black character and would rather have white females stronger? The fact that you mention race makes me feel that you are projecting your own issues off on me. Get off it you sick sadist.

I'd look at that probably more as backlash to Hudlin writing the character atm.

Howard is good people, lets not make this at all about race (I agree his comment was a little obtuse).

ExodusCloak
This is not true. The Storm fans agreed with me, the Jean and MAgneto fans did not. Your side was unable to produe a panel that shows Magneto dropping his field before STorm attacked him with the winds. At the beginning of their fight, he had a force-field on. Storm assaulted him with bio-lightning blasts. He absorbed them and told her that she may be his downfall in the fight but her lightning alone won't beat him. She told him she had more weapons at her disposal and that lightning was far from her most powerful. At this point, you and your side claimed that Magneto dropped his force-field which he had up to this point so he could get a good taste of Storm's next attack that she told him was coming and was not electrical prior. LOL! Next panel, Magneto is enveloped in Storm's tornado. Its sucking the air from him and its straining his powers terribly to anchor himself against the winds. I say the winds broke the force-field. Your side is desperate to keep Storm's winds at the 300 mph force level despite the fact she has accomplished numerous feats that places her well beyond it. Heck, she redirected Sienna Blaze's full power. That puts to shame anything Magneto's force-field has ever withstood.

Your side's position on this is totally illogical and desperate. Its an attempt to try and limit Ororo's powers. The lady has the power of a goddess. This has been stated in canon and in an interview with the writer. Stop getting desperate.

Not all the Storm fans agreed with you..IRRC Just you, WG and Shiv. Secondly I'm not a Jean fan. Thirdly the winds did not break his forcefield. He broke the bubble when he stuck his hands out of it to absorb Storms lightning.

Calling someone desperate in a debate only highlights your side of things.

Beta Ray Howard
What does SW being white have to do with it? Keep your racist comments to yourself you pig.

Why am I a pig? Because I'm white? Pot and kettle, kiddo. Don't call a man a racist unless you can back it up, because you just gave me evidence to your own ignorance.

Are you against Storm because she's a black character and would rather have white females stronger? The fact that you mention race makes me feel that you are projecting your own issues off on me. Get off it you sick sadist.

Don't even try to make my character decisions racial. Look at the character in my sig. Beta Ray Bill. Guess what? HE'S BLACK!
Who is my favorite character from Iron Man comics? Jim Rhodes! Black again!
Who was the only reason I read New Avengers? Luke Cage. He's a black man, ya dig?
I did a term paper on my favorite theologist. Martin Luther King Jr. What race was he? Alex, I'll take Black for 200.

Just because I don't like a couple characters who are black doesn't make me a racist. I guarantee I hate some white superheroes more than a do a couple black ones.

I was a huge fan of Panther, especially during Priest's run. Don't bring something to the table you can't back up.

Regardless of that, can you prove that SW can work her powers faster than Storm? There are plenty of issues which shows Storm's powers working faster than other characters like Mastermind, Jean, Nightcralwer, Saruon, Cyclops, etc.

Hmm. Rewriting an entire universe with a thought, blinking people out of one area and into another, making a Kree armada appear out of thin air, and all in the speed of one thought?

I think that the evidence shows itself. Wanda would kick Storm's ass.

By the way, lemme tell you about Dr. King for a moment. He always wanted people to be judged by character, not skin tone.

Judging by your actions, you need to shape up or ship out.

inamilist
and boy does this thread take a nosedive

anyways, keep it civil friends, abiento and au revoir

Rutog98
Ah, I think this may be my fault, I must explain something.

Actually, I may have discovered a deep flaw in my own logic here, I will get to that after.

First off, I have no idea if Polaris can do this, X men aren't my forte, especially their lesser used characters. However, the mechanism I am proposing does not really require Polaris to do anything that is "outrageous" for a magnetic controller.

For one brain cell to pass a signal onto the next, it must pass it as an electrical charge. However, that charge is built at several points within each neuron.

please tell me where I need to elaborate, because this is not easy stuff..... Inside of each brain cell there is a -35 mV resting potential. This means that inside of each neuron, there is a VERY small negative charge associate with the potential of that cell to fire.

The reason there is that potential to fire, is because outside of the cell are molecules with very strong positive charges. When the neuron begins to communicate with other neurons, it brings in a whole bunch of these positive molecules. This creates a positive charge that activates a long series of events that resolves in the one neuron passing its signal onto the next.

However, if the charge inside of a neuron was the same as a charge outside of a neuron, it would be impossible for one cell to communicate to the next. Polaris would need only to make all the charges in Storm's brain (or even in select localized areas) equal to prevent her from living.

This is moderately different than TMS which I think Storm may have a better chance of using than Polaris. Nor do I think Polaris should be able to do what Magneto did in your post. That is insane. I would question that claim in the same way I would question Storm making clothing out of electron changing. That could be up there as one of Magneto's best feats ever imho.

Now, the big problem with this. One of the issues I had with Storm using TMS was the fact that it really isn't common knowledge. Come to think of it, this might be beyond what Polaris knows about the brain as well. After writing out all that, it becomes more clear to me that this isn't common knowledge, and that Polaris is probably not an expert on neurology.

I will give you this, without her one move KO's, I don't think Polaris is going to take the majority.

This is a very interesting post. I would like it if you elaborated on it. However, for Storm to be able to summon/generate lightning, she would have to be controlling those charges as well. To be able to control the lightning, Ororo would have to be able to control EM fields and those charges as part of the bargain. Polaris's has collapsed from creating EMP waves that just cover 50 yards or so. Storm has generated EMP waves a number of times with no problems at all. I really think Polaris is greatly outmatched in this fight. Do you really think Polaris could do this more realistically than Ororo?

In regards to Storm creating the clothes out of thin air, for her to generate an electrolysis field in a room field will water with the x-Men and bad guys in the water with her and not electrocute anyone really speaks volumes to me. If she can control subatomic particles that well, I don't have a problem with her creating clothes out of thin air. I think its within her abilities as a weather witch (though its been stated that she can see the universe as patterns of energy and forces and bend them to her will). Personally, there is no reason why her power should stop short of matter manipulation.

Beta Ray Howard
I agree, Inamilist. There's not a need to bring race into a debate.

On SHC, there's this chick named Dora Milaje who has utterly ruined fun times by saying all SHCers are declaring war on black people.

It's bad. sad

Though you have to admit "Alex, I'll take Black for 200" is one of my better lines.

Rutog98
I'd look at that probably more as backlash to Hudlin writing the character atm.

Howard is good people, lets not make this at all about race (I agree his comment was a little obtuse).

Huldin did not write the issues I'm using though. These were other writers who gave Storm these huge power levels. Anyway, I agree with the general spirit of your post about just getting past this.

Rutog98
Why am I a pig? Because I'm white? Pot and kettle, kiddo. Don't call a man a racist unless you can back it up, because you just gave me evidence to your own ignorance.

Don't even try to make my character decisions racial. Look at the character in my sig. Beta Ray Bill. Guess what? HE'S BLACK!
Who is my favorite character from Iron Man comics? Jim Rhodes! Black again!
Who was the only reason I read New Avengers? Luke Cage. He's a black man, ya dig?
I did a term paper on my favorite theologist. Martin Luther King Jr. What race was he? Alex, I'll take Black for 200.

Just because I don't like a couple characters who are black doesn't make me a racist. I guarantee I hate some white superheroes more than a do a couple black ones.

I was a huge fan of Panther, especially during Priest's run. Don't bring something to the table you can't back up.

Hmm. Rewriting an entire universe with a thought, blinking people out of one area and into another, making a Kree armada appear out of thin air, and all in the speed of one thought?

I think that the evidence shows itself. Wanda would kick Storm's ass.

By the way, lemme tell you about Dr. King for a moment. He always wanted people to be judged by character, not skin tone.

Judging by your actions, you need to shape up or ship out.

I really don't get how Hudlin came into this discussion as he did not write any of the issues/instances I am bringing up. It came across to me that you were against Storm because she was a black character since you brought up race and the current writer of the character up in a discussion that had nothing to do with him or any issues that he's written.

The thread was going on fine until you brought this up. I'm reporting you. This thread was a lot of fun until someone like you comes along and sucks all of the enjoyment out of it. Inanimalist has left and all. I was really enjoying the discussion and felt like I could learn something about these character's powers. Shame on you.

Beta Ray Howard
I really don't get how Hudlin came into this discussion as he did not write any of the issues/instances I am bringing up. It came across to me that you were against Storm because she was a black character since you brought up race and the current writer of the character up in a discussion that had nothing to do with him or any issues that he's written.

I brought up Hudlin because he's going to make his favorite female more mary-sueish by making her an Omega mutant, when there is evidence that she is not. Hell, it was even stated not a year prior that she has peaked out.

Stop making racial assumptions, because doing so is racist in itself. You're assuming that because I'm a white man, I hate black characters, when it's been proven otherwise.

The thread was going on fine until you brought this up. I'm reporting you. This thread was a lot of fun until someone like you comes along and sucks all of the enjoyment out of it. Inanimalist has left and all. I was really enjoying the discussion and felt like I could learn something about these character's powers. Shame on you.

You know what? Don't claim to be me. I didn't come into this thread with any malcontent. It's called sarcasm. You're gonna get a lot of it. Welcome to the internet.

The only person here that deserves to be reported is you.

Why?

First of all, calling me a pig. Racist term for a white male.

Second of all, you're making accusations of racism that you obviously cannot back up.

Third, you're so full of ignorance and hate toward white people that you'll jump down their throat at the first chance you get, which is evidenced by your previous posts aimed at me.

So don't harp at me about race, or anything of the sort, because you've already been proven wrong. You have been reported for racism. Have a nice day.

Swanky-Tuna
Look at the character in my sig. Beta Ray Bill. Guess what? HE'S BLACK!
Beta Ray Bill wasn't fake black until like a year and a half ago.

Rutog98
I brought up Hudlin because he's going to make his favorite female more mary-sueish by making her an Omega mutant, when there is evidence that she is not. Hell, it was even stated not a year prior that she has peaked out.

Stop making racial assumptions, because doing so is racist in itself. You're assuming that because I'm a white man, I hate black characters, when it's been proven otherwise.

You know what? Don't claim to be me. I didn't come into this thread with any malcontent. It's called sarcasm. You're gonna get a lot of it. Welcome to the internet.

The only person here that deserves to be reported is you.

Why?

First of all, calling me a pig. Racist term for a white male.

Second of all, you're making accusations of racism that you obviously cannot back up.

Third, you're so full of ignorance and hate toward white people that you'll jump down their throat at the first chance you get, which is evidenced by your previous posts aimed at me.

So don't harp at me about race, or anything of the sort, because you've already been proven wrong. You have been reported for racism. Have a nice day.

You're the first person on this board I've ever had a problem with. True, I do disagree with many others about characters. Sometimes people get very passionate about their character/position and insults do get exchanged between posters on here, but you've gone way too far. I can't believe you brought up race. This was the furthest thing from my mind when I got into this debate as I am sure it was for the rest of the posters who partook in the discussion. You may have single-handedly killed the thread. I'm not going to respond to anymore of your posts.

Oh, and for the record, Storm is an omega mutant. There has been very strong indication of this for many years. Don't try and say that she's burned out before or what have you because characters like Jean and Iceman have burned out doing far lesser stunts. She has the potential to evolve.

Beta Ray Howard
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Beta Ray Bill wasn't fake black until like a year and a half ago.

I'm aware. If I were a racist, like some claim, then I would have dropped the character then and there.

I didn't.

Badabing
What does SW being white have to do with it? Keep your racist comments to yourself you pig. Are you against Storm because she's a black character and would rather have white females stronger? Personally, I don't reason like this, but I think your completely baseless accusation. The fact that you mention race makes me feel that you are projecting your own issues off on me. I don't care what color the character is, give them their due. Many on these boards don't like to do this for Storm. Good thing I'm here and I know know my Storm history so I can defend my case very well. Get off it you sick sadist.

Wow, somebody is trying to make a controversy where none existed. Maybe if you read and understood other people's posts a bit better your debating would improve. wink

Rutog98
Originally posted by Badabing
Wow, somebody is trying to make a controversy where none existed. Maybe if you read and understood other people's posts a bit better your debating would improve. wink

Well, could you explain it to me? What I got from it was he felt I was unaware of SW's progression in her abilities because she's white and that I don't read about it because she's white. That's a very offensive thing to say. If he could have proven that SW's powers work much faster now, then he should have produced an issue and quote that states this. What I brought up with the character had been a long established fact, but he had to go about dissenting unintelligently and insultingly. You are taking his side on this but fail to see what he said was in very bad taste. This goes beyond comic book discussion. Those kinds of things should never be brought up in these kinds of debates.

On a different note, what you are saying about my debating is how I feel about yours and the others who disagree with me on Storm. I believe that I debate very well on here and I am confident that I can make you Storm naysers see the light...eventually. wink

grey fox

8, 9, 10. *Ding, Ding* And we have a WINNAH !

Somebody just got....

http://www.leehotti.com/images/store/big/pwned.jpg

Rutog98
Okay, I'm through with the thread. Its no longer fun for me.

Later.

HandOfFate
Let's see how many times has Polaris faced Storm in combat.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8481/stormvspolaris10qc.th.jpg

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/9053/stormvspolaris25cx.th.jpg

Storm Vs Polaris Underground
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2946/xmen24010ih4.th.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8264/maliced4vi.th.jpg

I'll say 50/50. I might give Storm a slight edge seeing that she almost defeat Mangeto with her power.

Beta Ray Howard
Okay, I'm through with the thread. Its no longer fun for me.

Later.

Ding dong the witch is dead.

Which old witch?

The wicked witch.

Rewmac
If it's "insane" Polaris then polaris WTF-PWN-FTW...If it's current level of her I'll might say 5/10 only....

Psyquis52
I lean towards Storm in this fight. Why? Because she had a mohawk for a while. You know she's tough.

I have actual reasons but the mohawk is more fun.

6/10 Storm

And just for the record: Beta Ray Howard is a good man and I'm not just saying that because we're on the same team. He's not racist and anybody who would accuse him of that are clearly uninformed.

2damnloud
Originally posted by HandOfFate
Let's see how many times has Polaris faced Storm in combat.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8481/stormvspolaris10qc.th.jpg

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/9053/stormvspolaris25cx.th.jpg

Storm Vs Polaris Underground
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2946/xmen24010ih4.th.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8264/maliced4vi.th.jpg

I'll say 50/50. I might give Storm a slight edge seeing that she almost defeat Mangeto with her power.

smokin'

Sasaraixx
Ding dong the witch is dead.

Which old witch?

The wicked witch.

Wow, a really interesting and informative thread deteriorated into childish name calling. It's a shame really. I was learning quite a bit about both characters.

And for the record, BRH you DID pull the race card first. sick

Metalmanx
Polaris still wins the majority.

2damnloud
Those scans prove otherwise.

Everytime she and Storm have had an encounter, she has gotten pwned.

Storm has almost pwned Mags as well.

2damnloud
Originally posted by inimalist
ok, that is a fair question.

Storm COULD do something similar to this, she could create something akin to TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation). Basically, this is electrical impulses that are applied to the outside of the head that can shut down parts of the human mind. The technology is currently being used to simulate lesions in certain brain areas to better understand their function.

However, it is arguable weather or not this would work on Polaris, as her being a magnetic manipulator, she controls the things that make up the electricity. She could easily negate any charge in her brain. This may or may not happen, as the TMS could possibly disable her ability to think and react to these things.

Well, it IS a viable option, but hugely unlikely for a number of reasons (these are assumptions, please feel free to debate them)

1) The amount of electricity that would be used is so minute that it is arguable if Storm has that delicate control over it. Also, it has been brought up that electrical (which are the SAME THING as magnetic) attacks would be pretty useless against Polaris because she DOES have delicate control over the mechanisms of electricity (magnetism).

2) This is a unheard of tactic for Storm. If she had used it before, you would be saying it is her best ability in every thread.

3) The knowledge of TMS is very specialized. It is a BRAND new technology. It is arguable as to whether or not Storm would know of this process.

And, just a quick statement about this:

Electricity is Magnetism. For instance, imagine that you drive a car, but I am able to control all of its component part independent of one another.

You could drive, but i could turn the wheels wherever I wanted, Stop them, put you in reverse, pretty much do whatever I want. If storm uses electricity, she is driving the car, whereas Polaris would be able to disassemble that car piece by piece.

This is wrong.

There is no such thing as magnetic charge, only electric charge.

You do not need to control the things that "make up electricty" for magnetic fields. You only need electric charges.

If Storm controls electricity, she can also control electromagnetic fields, if she can control the voltage, she can control the strength of a magnetic field. She has demonstrated this on numerous occasions by manipulating planetary magnetic fields, and acting as a conduit and transducer of exotic energies.

Additionally:

Because Storm has a great deal of mastery over electricity, she can certainly generate photons of any wavelength. In nature, lightning generates light of all frequencies including gamma rays!

iceman24567
Originally posted by 2damnloud
This is wrong.

There is no such thing as magnetic charge, only electric charge.

You do not need to control the things that "make up electricty" for magnetic fields. You only need electric charges.

If Storm controls electricity, she can also control electromagnetic fields, if she can control the voltage, she can control the strength of a magnetic field. She has demonstrated this on numerous occasions by manipulating planetary magnetic fields, and acting as a conduit and transducer of exotic energies.

Additionally:

Because Storm has a great deal of mastery over electricity, she can certainly generate photons of any wavelength. In nature, lightning generates light of all frequencies including gamma rays! Eh it seems possible but i doubt Storm has ever produced gamma rays under her own power if she has then i am horribly wrong and i will go to class an hour early eek!

2damnloud
Originally posted by iceman24567
Eh it seems possible but i doubt Storm has ever produced gamma rays under her own power if she has then i am horribly wrong and i will go to class an hour early eek!

No, she's never "produced" it , but she has used a gamma gun to enhance her powers.

It has been said that she could produce any wavelegnth she wanted.

Storm can generate all manner of atmospheric electrical phenonmena. This includes electromagnetic fields, electrical fields, plasma, st.elmo's fire, lightning, ionization etc.

One theory behind lightning:

http://www.enviromom.us/lightning/lightning%20formation.htm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.