Marvel's Trinity?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xmarksthespot
Pretty straightforward. DC's trinity is well known as Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman.

So which three characters would be the Marvel Trinity? And why?

Some things to take into account include, but aren't limited to:
Abilities
Popularity
Personality

grey fox
Spidey/Wolverine/Hulk

ExodusCloak
The marvel males are more popular then their females. I'm guessing a female won't be part of their Trinity.

Oh and I agree with the above 3.

Grimm22
The real trinity:

-Captain America

-Spider-Man

-Iron Man

The Popularity Trinity

-Spider-Man

-Wolverine

-Hulk

Darth Vegas
Spidey
Hulk
Cap

Grimm22
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
The marvel males are more popular then their females. I'm guessing a female won't be part of their Trinity.

Oh and I agree with the above 3.

I wouldnt say that erm

Its just that no Marvel female has a bigger standing than Marvel's big three wink

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Grimm22
I wouldnt say that erm

Its just that no Marvel female has a bigger standing than Marvel's big three wink

True, Storm and Sue are the only really popular ones that come to mind.

grey fox
The real trinity:

-Captain America

-Spider-Man

-Iron Man

The Popularity Trinity

-Spider-Man

-Wolverine

-Hulk

I agree there.

Popularity wise my first post stands but in reality Grims is correct.

Grimm22
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
True, Storm and Sue are the only really popular ones that come to mind.

Eh, Emma has become vastly important as the one of the headmasters of the X-Men erm

If you ask me Marvel's trinity is more of teams than individuals, such as...

Fantastic Four

Astonishing X-men

Avengers

Those are the big three if you ask me

xmarksthespot
Eh, Emma has become vastly important as the one of the headmasters of the X-Men erm

If you ask me Marvel's trinity is more of teams than individuals, such as...

Fantastic Four

Astonishing X-men

Avengers

Those are the big three if you ask me Ironically the most powerful members of those three teams have been females. Scarlet Witch, Invisible Woman and Emma Frost.

Juntai
Spidey Wolverine and Captain America are Marvel's trinity.
They're the ones with the merchandising, the lego toy lines, the knex figures, etc. T Shirts at wal mart.

Wally West
Spidey, Wolverine and Hulk

Globally, Captain America isn't on the same level as Hulk.

Darth Vicious
IMO I think its hard to point 3 individuals but the 2 obvious choices are Spider-Man, Captain America and I dunno who for third maybe Wolverine.

Accel
I always thought of Marvel's trinity as Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America.

Blair Wind
erm Id agree but thats more in terms of leadership. But publicly known? Spiderman, Wolvie, and Hulk.

bigbran
Originally posted by Darth Vegas
Spidey
Hulk
Cap agree, but thor should be in there too, because marvel doesnt center around characters.
so..
thor
ironman
hulk
wolverine
spiderman
cap.

BlaqChaos
The only real way to answer the question, is to figure out what is meant by "Trinity". If we define it as the three highest money makers of the company or the three most well known public figures, then it would indeed be Spidey, Wolvie, and Hulk.

TheKahn
For a slightly different take on this, who would compose Marvel's Trinity if you tried only to use characters who are analogous to DC's?

For Superman (symbol), I'd have to go with Captain America. Similar "boyscout" type perception of them by most other characters and seem to inspire loyalty in most other heroes to some degree.

For Wonder Woman (warrior), Thor is an easy pick. Not only are they both outsiders in a sense and magic in general, but both are also respected for their combat abilities.

For Batman (unknown), I'd go a little bit out of left field and say Dr. Strange. Both are essentially human and have gained their powers through their own efforts and "gadgets." More importantly they seem to operate more independently and separate themselves from other heroes to some degree. Also they seem to inspire a combination of respect and "spookiness" (if that's the right word) in others.

DarkCrawler
Why not Iron Man in place of Batman? Doctor Strange has always been more analogous to Fate in my opinion...

During the Golden Age this would have been a lot more easier...DC's Golden Age Trinity is still the same, Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman...

Marvel's Golden Age Trinity, Captain America, Namor and Human Torch are not as featured now.

K3VIL
Captain America
Iron Man
Thor

Scoobless
Originally posted by Accel

Exactly the three i would have said

Validus
Originally posted by Accel
That's the Avengers trinity they always promote. I wouldn't put Thor anywhere near the top of a popularity list.

littleredhat
You know if this was the 40s this would be easy.

Namor
Human Torch
Captain America

These days Marvel is just too different from DC to try to make comparisons.

UniOmni
I kinda enjoy the fact that Marvel doesn't have a set trio on top....
It kinda gives other characters a chance for the shine. As long as they pull in the dough.
Look at Wolverine.
DC will always maintain the top spot for WW, Superman and Batman.
It severely limits the shine others get, since they won't allow the three above to be consistently outdone.
No matter if the other characters are seen as more interesting.
I see DC as the republicans comic structure, and Marvel as the liberals choice.
Probably nothing new.

Draco69
Originally posted by UniOmni
I kinda enjoy the fact that Marvel doesn't have a set trio on top....
It kinda gives other characters a chance for the shine. As long as they pull in the dough.
Look at Wolverine.
DC will always maintain the top spot for WW, Superman and Batman.
It severely limits the shine others get, since they won't allow the three above to be consistently outdone.
No matter if the other characters are seen as more interesting.
I see DC as the republicans comic structure, and Marvel as the liberals choice.
Probably nothing new.

They don't have a "Trinity" per say. DC relies on not on popularity but notoriety. Wonder Woman isn't nearly as "popular" as Batman but she's nearly as recognizable.

Marvel doesn't go the "liberal" approach. They go: "Geez! This character rakes in a ton of dough, let's put him on every goddamn cover!" They take the consumerist approach while DC takes the traditional symbolist approach.

Wolverine is a perfect example of Marvel's marketing strategy. EVERY goddamn crossover involves him somehow as integral....

pr1983
Originally posted by Draco69
They don't have a "Trinity" per say. DC relies on not on popularity but notoriety. Wonder Woman isn't nearly as "popular" as Batman but she's nearly as recognizable.

Marvel doesn't go the "liberal" approach. They go: "Geez! This character rakes in a ton of dough, let's put him on every goddamn cover!" They take the consumerist approach while DC takes the traditional symbolist approach.

Wolverine is a perfect example of Marvel's marketing strategy. EVERY goddamn crossover involves him somehow as integral....

True...

if there was one though, imo it'd be Hulk, Spidey and Cap/ Logan...

DarkCrawler

To be honest, every major event of DC has Superman in a major position...like Infinite Crisis...

Whereas I am pretty damn sure Wolverine won't be the focus of Civil War... wink

Anyway, Superman sells. DC features him a lot. Same with Wolverine. Superman has a long history, and symbolic meanings, and he is not a badass character in the same way then Wolverine is, but I would bet my ass that DC has the same marketing policy with him and Batman.

Only difference is that when Superman fights another major character, they are not dumbed down...

When Batman and Wolverine fight someone, they usually fight like retarded geriatric people on crack..."My god, explosive Batarang! Nevermind that I can stand near the Sun and laugh at it, BATARANG HURTS!" "It's Wolverine! He's the best at what he does! I...can't dodge...argh!"

pr1983
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
To be honest, every major event of DC has Superman in a major position...like Infinite Crisis...

Whereas I am pretty damn sure Wolverine won't be the focus of Civil War... wink

Anyway, Superman sells. DC features him a lot. Same with Wolverine. Superman has a long history, and symbolic meanings, and he is not a badass character in the same way then Wolverine is, but I would bet my ass that DC has the same marketing policy with him and Batman.

Only difference is that when Superman fights another major character, they are not dumbed down...

When Batman and Wolverine fight someone, they usually fight like retarded geriatric people on crack..."My god, explosive Batarang! Nevermind that I can stand near the Sun and laugh at it, BATARANG HURTS!" "It's Wolverine! He's the best at what he does! I...can't dodge...argh!"

But that is the difference imo...

when there's a big crisis, superman is one of the only people aquipped to deal with it...

the same is not true for logan...

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by pr1983
But that is the difference imo...

when there's a big crisis, superman is one of the only people aquipped to deal with it...

the same is not true for logan... But in the House of M, for example, he did not deal with the crisis himself...he was just featured for the most of the time, like Superman. They both are big sellers of the company and have lot of focus on them.

H. S. 6
But in the House of M, for example, he did not deal with the crisis himself...he was just featured for the most of the time, like Superman. They both are big sellers of the company and have lot of focus on them.

Yup. thumb up

Wolverine is featured a lot, but he usually doesn't "solve" any of these big crises (sp?). Whereas Superman, on the other hand, is the one who continually saves the day.

jrodslam
30's-60's Marvel Trinity - Namor, Cap, Torch
60-80's Marvel Trinity - Cap, Spidey, Hulk
80's-current Marvel Trinity - Spidey, Hulk, Wolvie

pr1983
But in the House of M, for example, he did not deal with the crisis himself...he was just featured for the most of the time, like Superman. They both are big sellers of the company and have lot of focus on them.

Originally posted by H. S. 6
Yup. thumb up

Wolverine is featured a lot, but he usually doesn't "solve" any of these big crises (sp?). Whereas Superman, on the other hand, is the one who continually saves the day.

K, sorry, i didnt say what i meant...

i didnt mean that logan solves all these crises, but it was him who realised that the world was wrong in house of m... and he does get an awful lot of panel time...

and to be fair... it is superman... to most of dc he's their biggest asset... they have to show him justifying the faith people have in him... imagine if hal or diana had taken down superboy prime... its just gonna make superman look bad isnt it?

UniOmni

And i like that.
I hate Wolverine, but the fact that if a character is popular enough, that they get spotlight is good, imo.
It gives all characters a chance at stardom.
Rather than being forcefed the same big three, which will always be the Big Three, and if your fav character isn't one of the Big three, he will in time be jobbed out to at least one of the big three.

Ie, Wonder Woman.
In the general swing of things, alot of people don't give a rats ass about her. Face it.
But DC still keeps her prominent, so as to keep her. Who the fukk wants to see a Wonder Woman movie??
Really?
Her entire existence is moot, since she was always about not being second to any male, yet by her companies definition, she will always be second to a certain male character.
What a pointless character stance in the scheme of things.
Yet we keep getting her in our faces.
If DC were like Marvel, the popular low grade heroes like Batgirl, would get the spotlight.
Batgirl, as of now, is a crazy schitzo who kills her siblings. And her book was cancelled.

Yet WW still has a book, even though, iirc Batgirl may have outsold her for a while??
Marvels take on the situation......Lets give her a book and keep her fresh and in the mix, ala Wolverine.

DC.....Lets kill her and make her a foil for the Boy Wonder, so he has his own little Talia to play with.

Marvel gives its characters a chance at prominence.
DC, will let you shine, as long as you don't encroach on the territory of the big three.
At least Marvel gives all the characters a chance.

DC cripples them out the gate.

pr1983
And i like that.
I hate Wolverine, but the fact that if a character is popular enough, that they get spotlight is good, imo.
It gives all characters a chance at stardom.
Rather than being forcefed the same big three, which will always be the Big Three, and if your fav character isn't one of the Big three, he will in time be jobbed out to at least one of the big three.

Ie, Wonder Woman.
In the general swing of things, alot of people don't give a rats ass about her. Face it.
But DC still keeps her prominent, so as to keep her. Who the fukk wants to see a Wonder Woman movie??
Really?
Her entire existence is moot, since she was always about not being second to any male, yet by her companies definition, she will always be second to a certain male character.
What a pointless character stance in the scheme of things.
Yet we keep getting her in our faces.
If DC were like Marvel, the popular low grade heroes like Batgirl, would get the spotlight.
Batgirl, as of now, is a crazy schitzo who kills her siblings. And her book was cancelled.

Yet WW still has a book, even though, iirc Batgirl may have outsold her for a while??
Marvels take on the situation......Lets give her a book and keep her fresh and in the mix, ala Wolverine.

DC.....Lets kill her and make her a foil for the Boy Wonder, so he has his own little Talia to play with.

Marvel gives its characters a chance at prominence.
DC, will let you shine, as long as you don't encroach on the territory of the big three.
At least Marvel gives all the characters a chance.

DC cripples them out the gate.

I do agree to an extent, but i don't think the situation in marvel is that different, especially if you're part of a team...

Guys like Cyclops, Colossus, Iceman and Beast from the x-men always seem to take a backseat to the fan favourites like gambit, wolverine and to an extent, emma frost...

Those guys (to name a few) could do with a little more focus...

UniOmni
If they get a big enough demand, they will. Thats the whole point of the post i made.
If the people demand it, we get what we want. And there isn't a trinity that is being shielded to worry about.

H. S. 6
and to be fair... it is superman... to most of dc he's their biggest asset... they have to show him justifying the faith people have in him... imagine if hal or diana had taken down superboy prime... its just gonna make superman look bad isnt it?

And that was the original point of this conversation. DC focuses much more on their Trinity, and much less on their "second rate" characters, I think, than Marvel. stick out tongue

I mean, damn... look at all the characters we've seen in Civil War that haven't been seen in, well... a long, long time.

pr1983
If they get a big enough demand, they will. Thats the whole point of the post i made.
If the people demand it, we get what we want. And there isn't a trinity that is being shielded to worry about.

I don't think the trinity need to be shielded... at least in the case of batman or superman at the very least... they have almost universal appeal... i mean, most fans find at least one thing they like about either one...

they're the two most famous characters in comics history...

and as far as the demand goes... i can't help feeling the same would be true in the case of batgirl too...

pr1983
apologies for the double post...

And that was the original point of this conversation. DC focuses much more on their Trinity, and much less on their "second rate" characters, I think, than Marvel. stick out tongue

I mean, damn... look at all the characters we've seen in Civil War that haven't been seen in, well... a long, long time.

Why shouldn't they focus on the bigger characters when it comes to the events?

ok, ic #7, green arrow and i think it was connor are fighting, and they see doomsday bearing down on them, i'm willing to bet green arrow was praying for superman to intervene (like most characters, because superman is the one thats always there when shit goes down, because thats what his character is all about). Superman due to his powerset and appeal should be in the midst of it, because he is that big... whether he was in the trinity (though the fact that he would be is due to his longevity) or not he'd still be in the thick of things...

i don't think in a similar situation captain america would be praying for wolverine to come save him...

the trinity doesnt make the heroes, the heroes make the trinity... at least imo...

in their own comics, i think alot of the so-called lesser characters get decent exposure, i mean, look at 52... wasn't that designed purely to give all these other characters some focus?

and as far as marvel goes, i was glad to see so many characters in civil war... the fight in #3 in particular... cant wait for #4...

Draco69

ok, ic #7, green arrow and i think it was connor are fighting, and they see doomsday bearing down on them, i'm willing to bet green arrow was praying for superman to intervene (like most characters, because superman is the one thats always there when shit goes down, because thats what his character is all about). Superman due to his powerset and appeal should be in the midst of it, because he is that big... whether he was in the trinity (though the fact that he would be is due to his longevity) or not he'd still be in the thick of things...

the trinity doesnt make the heroes, the heroes make the trinity... at least imo...

in their own comics, i think alot of the so-called lesser characters get decent exposure, i mean, look at 52... wasn't that designed purely to give all these other characters some focus?

I DO think Superman and Batman should have at the very most only two titles.

For god's sake, there's at least NINE Batman titles on sale right now....

pr1983
I DO think Superman and Batman should have at the very most only two titles.

For god's sake, there's at least NINE Batman titles on sale right now....

Thats true... 9? Superman actually cut one... they merged Superman and Adventures of Superman into just one comic under the 'Superman' title...

Validus
Batman has 3-4 mini series on sale at any given time. Plus All Star.

Adam Hughes is doing the All Star WW series pretty soon though.

pr1983
Originally posted by Validus
Batman has 3-4 mini series on sale at any given time. Plus All Star.

Adam Hughes is doing the All Star WW series pretty soon though.

Forgot allstar...

In a month i buy say, action comics, superman and all star superman...

i'll probably pick up the new jla (it has ed freaking benes, how sweet is that), so i'm glad they cut one down...

H. S. 6

i don't think in a similar situation captain america would be praying for wolverine to come save him...

and as far as marvel goes, i was glad to see so many characters in civil war... the fight in #3 in particular... cant wait for #4...

What are you debating for, exactly? confused

DC focuses much more on their "Trinity" than Marvel does their own big characters. That's agreeable, no?

I'm confused as to what you're trying to say here...

Draco69

DC focuses much more on their "Trinity" than Marvel does their own big characters. That's agreeable, no?

Except Wonder Woman...

They just give her one book....

And no, Marvel pledges its children to the glorification of Wolverine and Spider-Man in every comic as does DC with Superman and Batman.

H. S. 6
Except Wonder Woman...

And no, Marvel pledges its children to the glorification of Wolverine and Spider-Man in every comic as does DC with Superman and Batman.

True, but I wouldn't say Spidey and Wolverine are focused on as much more in relation to the secnd stringers as Batman and Supes.

You said it yourself: Batman has, like, 9 comics out right now. stick out tongue

Scoobless
I agree that it's good that Marvel doesn't really have a "Trinity" (even though i already posted who i thought it would be.... but the thread just demanded an answer... sad )

I think DC puts too much emphasis on power, the most respected hero in DC is Superman, for Marvel it's Captain America..... their powersets couldn't be further separated... yet they remain the two "go to" guys for their respective worlds.

One of the most powerful mainstream characters in Marvel is Iron Man, yet he would only be halfway up the power ladder if he was a DC character... I think DC trapped themselves with that fact early on in their life and have never been able to get away from it. Their main problem is that they have to/had to bring in new characters who could compete with the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc, etc ... without making those characters much more powerful than Superman.... hence they ended up with a ton of characters with the same basic powerset (strength, speed, flight, energy projection)

Marvel have had a far wider margin for powers as, in the old days, there were only ever a few uber powered characters, which left able to create/update the far lesser powered heroes and villains (DareDevil, Carnage, Yellow Jacket, Taskmaster)

This is one of the reasons I've generally been more into Marvel.... I don't want all my comic characters to be invulnerable demi-gods (though Thor is cool as sh!t) I want to read about the Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Captain America, Human Torch type guys who don't always have to face world destroying power levels to be sorely challenged
_____

Ok.... I've gone completely off topic and started ranting... I'm done now ... wink

Draco69
Originally posted by Scoobless
I agree that it's good that Marvel doesn't really have a "Trinity" (even though i already posted who i thought it would be.... but the thread just demanded an answer... sad )

I think DC puts too much emphasis on power, the most respected hero in DC is Superman, for Marvel it's Captain America..... their powersets couldn't be further separated... yet they remain the two "go to" guys for their respective worlds.

One of the most powerful mainstream characters in Marvel is Iron Man, yet he would only be halfway up the power ladder if he was a DC character... I think DC trapped themselves with that fact early on in their life and have never been able to get away from it. Their main problem is that they have to/had to bring in new characters who could compete with the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc, etc ... without making those characters much more powerful than Superman.... hence they ended up with a ton of characters with the same basic powerset (strength, speed, flight, energy projection)

Marvel have had a far wider margin for powers as, in the old days, there were only ever a few uber powered characters, which left able to create/update the far lesser powered heroes and villains (DareDevil, Carnage, Yellow Jacket, Taskmaster)

This is one of the reasons I've generally been more into Marvel.... I don't want all my comic characters to be invulnerable demi-gods (though Thor is cool as sh!t) I want to read about the Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Captain America, Human Torch type guys who don't always have to face world destroying power levels to be sorely challenged
_____

Ok.... I've gone completely off topic and started ranting... I'm done now ... wink

I think it has to more with tradition and age. The DC Trinity came first before any of the other DC characters. So they get their "respect" as the "originals" who started it all.

Superman is the first superpowered superhero in a comic.

Batman is the first nonpowered superhero in a comic.

Wonder Woman is the first female superhero in a comic.

It's not really power (if so Green Lantern would be at the top) it's more tradition and respect to the originals who started it all.

manjaro
when it comes to merchandizing no other charcters even scratch the level of hulk, and spidey . i couldnt tell when was the last time i went to the toy section at walmart, and havent seen spiderman and hulk dominating the shelves. i dont know who the third would be. maybe a toss up between iron man and wolverine, but spidey and hulk are definately 1 and 2

when it somes to comic cult following, again Spidey, and hulk round out the top two. then Cap, wolverine avengers, FF, xmen. so its hard to pin point as to who the defintive trinty is

Scoobless
Well the merchandising of Spidey and Hulk got massive boosts from their films... no doubt the shelves are all filling up with Superman toys even as I type (not so much for FF, DareDevil and Elektra - as their movies sucked.... and Blade was aimed at an older audience)

ExodusCloak

She's been getting a lot of exposure lately(Not that, that's a bad thing big grin) but I wouldn't class her in the same popularity league as Storm and Sue. Emma's character has had me hooked since the TAS series but there's still a long way to go before she can reach marvel all-star status.

It's doubtful the name Emma Frost would be known outside of comic world well not yet anyway, while nearly everyone knows Storm.

Rumour has it that Emma's getting her own movie so hopefully she'll move a little bit higher up on marvels ladder.Hope the movie doesn't bomb...

Scoobless
Amongst Ex-X-Headmasters are Xavier (currently depowered to human status) Magneto (currently in a SHIELD hospital... with no powers and probable brain damage) and Banshee (currently depowered.... as in "dead"wink

Future doesn't look to bright for Ms Frost

no expression

ExodusCloak
Amongst Ex-X-Headmasters are Xavier (currently depowered to human status) Magneto (currently in a SHIELD hospital... with no powers and probable brain damage) and Banshee (currently depowered.... as in "dead"wink

Future doesn't look to bright for Ms Frost

no expression

Don't forget Jean stick out tongue
Cyke seems immune to it.

And you're right with Warsong and Astonishing the future does look bleak for Ms Frost...but in all honesty she does keep it interesting...and it was great while it lasted. Plus she's easier on the eyes then some of her predecessors.

Poor, poor Julian what is he going to do without her...

manjaro
if they had sage as the head master she would have that place running like a swiis watch.....but due to her innate ability to collate and store massive amounts of data which gives her the ability to make predictions down to the smallest decimal point, she would probably take a cold inhuman approach to running things, not caring about thier feelings and all that. she would be the ultimate ice queen----erm---on second thought that propbably wouldnt be a good idea to make her head mistress

pr1983

embarrasment

All i mean is this... DC's focus on its trinity is justifiable in some instances, but yes, sometimes they are guilty of overdoing it...

All i mean is that Marvel can be just as guilty sometimes, with very little justification, thats all...

manjaro
quite so, and has irony might have it DC has published a trade featuring WW, batman, and superman....entitled the trinity. so it shows you where thier priorties lie. also in the new JLA series those three were the ones who got to pick who would be the next wave of JLA'ers

xmarksthespot
One of the most powerful mainstream characters in Marvel is Iron ManI dunno about that...Originally posted by Scoobless
yet he would only be halfway up the power ladder if he was a DC character...Like he is now as a Marvel character... shifty

pr1983
Originally posted by manjaro
quite so, and has irony might have it DC has published a trade featuring WW, batman, and superman....entitled the trinity. so it shows you where thier priorties lie. also in the new JLA series those three were the ones who got to pick who would be the next wave of JLA'ers

They are the senior members... erm

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
I dunno about that...Like he is now as a Marvel character... shifty

laughing

Scoobless
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Like he is now as a Marvel character... shifty

I'm just talking about Earth based Mainstream Marvel heroes.... not Surfer/Quasar/Nova/Warlock/BRB type guys

There really aren't a lot of Marvel heroes (based on Earth) that are much more powerful than him..... Sentry, Thor (if that really is him back)..... Strange, Black Bolt (but IM could still beat him....shifty )

Not many come to mind straight away

IM kicks pretty much everyone else's ass .... and could conceivably beat Strange and BB on a good day

UniOmni
Except Wonder Woman...

But i maintain the belief that if Gambit got half the popularity votes/requests as Wolverine, he'd be everywhere as well.

In Marvel, it all depends on the demands of the consumers, and whatever the consumer wants, generally it gets.

DC, they will always maintain the superiority of Batman and WW and Superman.
Nobody else has a chance to eclipse them, cuz they will always be the Big Three.
Tradition demands they get the star treatment, and all other characters off the bat MUST play second fiddle to them.
And thats why i don't like DC at times.

I wish Marvel got Orion, MM, Cap Marvel/BA. Firestorm as well.
Nightwing and Batgirl to boot.
Cuz at least if the fans demand them enough, they will get to rise to icon/prominence status.
DC, they send them out, knowing they can only go so high.

And thats the thing i hate.
Nothing worse than knowing that whatever potential your favorite character has, he/she can't cross a certain line.

GL can get shown to be a complete doof by Superman or Batman, but god forbid a GL show some thinking and shoot Superman in the eye and take him down.....Ala Rebirth. Superfans will rage and foam at the mouth.
Or one punch Batman. Again, ala rebirth. Batstans will go cold turkey.

Can anybody deny the truth of my post?? If so, i'm all open to hear it.

pr1983
But i maintain the belief that if Gambit got half the popularity votes/requests as Wolverine, he'd be everywhere as well.

In Marvel, it all depends on the demands of the consumers, and whatever the consumer wants, generally it gets.

DC, they will always maintain the superiority of Batman and WW and Superman.
Nobody else has a chance to eclipse them, cuz they will always be the Big Three.
Tradition demands they get the star treatment, and all other characters off the bat MUST play second fiddle to them.
And thats why i don't like DC at times.

I wish Marvel got Orion, MM, Cap Marvel/BA. Firestorm as well.
Nightwing and Batgirl to boot.
Cuz at least if the fans demand them enough, they will get to rise to icon/prominence status.
DC, they send them out, knowing they can only go so high.

And thats the thing i hate.
Nothing worse than knowing that whatever potential your favorite character has, he/she can't cross a certain line.

GL can get shown to be a complete doof by Superman or Batman, but god forbid a GL show some thinking and shoot Superman in the eye and take him down.....Ala Rebirth. Superfans will rage and foam at the mouth.
Or one punch Batman. Again, ala rebirth. Batstans will go cold turkey.

Can anybody deny the truth of my post?? If so, i'm all open to hear it.

There is one point i'd like to make...

during the build up to infinite crisis, a guy at dc called dan didio (sp?), wanted to kill nightwing, it was fan response that convinced him otherwise... which to me shows that they do listen to the fans...

second... what? how many people have ever beaten the hulk? thats a line, same as juggernaut, thor and so on...

i think if a character is good enough then dc will give them the requisite focus...

and what do you mean about rebirth? john took down superman, hal punched bruce... what, you want it to happen more regularly? I'm not sure what you mean... embarrasment

UniOmni
There is one point i'd like to make...

during the build up to infinite crisis, a guy at dc called dan didio (sp?), wanted to kill nightwing, it was fan response that convinced him otherwise... which to me shows that they do listen to the fans...

second... what? how many people have ever beaten the hulk? thats a line, same as juggernaut, thor and so on...

i think if a character is good enough then dc will give them the requisite focus...

and what do you mean about rebirth? john took down superman, hal punched bruce... what, you want it to happen more regularly? I'm not sure what you mean... embarrasment

Quite a few people have beaten the Hulk. He isn't the brute he once was.

And yeah DC will give them a chance.......To a point. But they will always play second fiddle to the Big Three.
And thats the rub i don't think anyone cares about.
If your fav character is one of the big three, this may be what you like. If not, then best believe that they will notice the star treatment the Big 3 gets.
Cuz DC has the stance, that the big three are a cut above everyone else.

And Rebirth got alot of flack for what it showed............Alot.
Superman as handled by a Gl, and Batman chumped.
People didn't like that.

And the Nightwing thing is different.
I'd almost rather they had killed him, than show him the way he is now.

Nightwing will never reach his true potential, due to the fact that he must remain in Batmans shadow.
A full potential Nightwing, is someone who doesn't come running when Bruce beckons.
And that Nightwing, rivals Bruce.
Que the systematic breakdown of his character in recent years.
The best Nightwing, many feel, is the Nightwing thats not controlled by the Batoffices of DC politics.
Outsiders Nightwing is currently the best Nightwing.

pr1983
Quite a few people have beaten the Hulk. He isn't the brute he once was.

What about the others i named...

Well, i'm a huge fan of red tornado and flash (and have been for years), and i do see your point... but given the choice, i think i prefer having the big three that exist rather than have someone else...

but look at the alternative... marvel has wolverine in too many comics, they even had him in the new avengers for chrissakes... is that not hurting the chances of lesser characters too?

They have always, and still do, have cap punch above his weight in comics... were that flag not draped across his uniform i think he wouldnt be in the position he's in... as someone said he's the go to guy, much like superman, though with supermans abilities i can understand that to an extent...

The first Green Lantern series i ever read was Rebirth, and i'm a huge Superman fan (and have been for oh, about 17/18 years), but i have to say i loved rebirth... and i didnt think it at all unfair what happened to Supes and Bats... maybe i'm the minority...

I like outsiders nightwing too, and he was ok in the recent action comics, even though it was a small part... he seems to have grown... give him time i say, and fans'll be rewarded with a bat-less nightwing that will stand on his own...

UniOmni
I'd rather there not be a big three at all. But having it fixed, is worse imo. Cuz that means NO one else has a shot at the big time.

pr1983
I'd rather there not be a big three at all. But having it fixed, is worse imo. Cuz that means NO one else has a shot at the big time.

I don't think its as fixed... the biggest characters sell the most comics, therefore require the most exposure...

as much as i hate it, its the way both companies (at least imo) do business...

from a pure character standpoint, there are tens of characters who could do with some decent focus...

UniOmni
WW has habitually had a hard time selling books.

pr1983
WW has habitually had a hard time selling books.

yeah, i was sorta discluding her from my comments... stick out tongue

willRules
I swear at one point there was a term for Cap, Iron-man and Thor being the equivalent of DC's "trinity".

DarkCrawler

during the build up to infinite crisis, a guy at dc called dan didio (sp?), wanted to kill nightwing

Have you read the recent series? Nightwing is dead to me. sad

Tron
Wonder Woman is the first female superhero in a comic.

Actually, Hawkgirl was the first.

Validus
Nightwing will never reach his true potential, due to the fact that he must remain in Batmans shadow.
A full potential Nightwing, is someone who doesn't come running when Bruce beckons.
And that Nightwing, rivals Bruce.
Que the systematic breakdown of his character in recent years.
The best Nightwing, many feel, is the Nightwing thats not controlled by the Batoffices of DC politics.
Outsiders Nightwing is currently the best Nightwing.
The fact that Outsiders Nightwing is considered a good version of the character just shows how much DC screwed him over and thank god Marv Wolfman is coming back to fix this mess.

NW in the last issue of Action Comics was his most accurate characterization in years (not counting Infinite Crisis). How sad is that?

pr1983
Have you read the recent series? Nightwing is dead to me. sad

i havent had a chance... i only have enough money to buy so many comics... sad

The fact that Outsiders Nightwing is considered a good version of the character just shows how much DC screwed him over and thank god Marv Wolfman is coming back to fix this mess.

NW in the last issue of Action Comics was his most accurate characterization in years (not counting Infinite Crisis). How sad is that?

even superman has nice words to say about him...

UniOmni

I hear you.

But as long as he stays under the hand of the Batoffices, he will forever stagnate.

Validus
His status as compared to Batman is the least of my problems. The Batman/Nightwing team up is still more interesting than Batman & Robin and that's not a knock on Tim either. Nothing bothers me more in comics than awful characterizations though.

Draco69
You think Nightwing has problems? Look at poor Donna Troy! The poor gal gets f***ed over every few weeks.

I got photos from DC Message Boards forum member who got a look at the infamously late issue of WW#2. Donna's now a crucified necklace for Giganta to wear...

Validus
Yeah but everyone knows Donna is a loser. "Death" is pretty much her status quo.

There was a time when Dick was more popular than Batman. He can be that again.

And I'd love to see those pics btw. laughing out loud

Draco69
Donna needs a remix. And a good remix. She should get the Stan Lee origin of Wonder Woman.

pr1983
I hate donna troy... bring back diana...

Validus
You happen to have those pics Draco? I'm kind of fiending for WW#2, mostly for the Dodson artwork.

Draco69
I hate donna troy... bring back diana...

She's back already. At the end of issue #2 (which isn't out for like three weeks...) we see "Diana Prince" do her trademark spin into....well that's for issue #3 since it's left as a cliffhanger.

Draco69
You happen to have those pics Draco? I'm kind of fiending for WW#2, mostly for the Dodson artwork.

You have to go to DC Message Boards and go to the WW forum. You have to sign up unfortunately. Look for the most popular thread with the word comic con in it and you have to add your email address to the list and the original threadstarter will email it to you.

I would just wait. I have an unyielding hard-on for all things WW so I actually have an excuse to do something so pathetic....

Or you can just read the posts. You won't see the pics, but you'll get the descriptions. They are verified.

pr1983
She's back already. At the end of issue #2 (which isn't out for like three weeks...) we see "Diana Prince" do her trademark spin into....well that's for issue #3 since it's left as a cliffhanger.

Ah, cool... cos i was standing in the comic shop ready to buy #1, and i opened it and saw donna and was like... wtf?

I have an unyielding hard-on for all things WW

yeah draco, we know... stick out tongue

Draco69
Ah, cool... cos i was standing in the comic shop ready to buy #1, and i opened it and saw donna and was like... wtf?

Well at least she had a rather cool costume...

Validus
Too bad she got owned by magic cheetahs.

pr1983

Small comfort... stick out tongue

and i dont like dodson's art that much... very alan hughes like imo...

i'm more a fan of the ed benes/jim lee look...

Darth Martin
The real trinity:

-Captain America

-Spider-Man

-Iron Man

The Popularity Trinity

-Spider-Man

-Wolverine

-Hulk I couldn't agree more.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.